Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

A "jutting cro magnon jawline"? I think the dude just has an underbite, drat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Huh, is that the guy that played Jerome/Jeremiah in Gotham?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Yes

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Lobok posted:

A "jutting cro magnon jawline"? I think the dude just has an underbite, drat.

The virigin Cal Kestis vs the chad Kylo Ren

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Oxxidation posted:

jedi fallen order is a perfectly competent beige action game but the character models are just a little bit off in a way that's constantly distracting

the protagonist has this jutting cro-magnon jawline and the other main human character's eyes are popping out of her head like she's a cartoon character who just uncovered a lit keg of TNT

The biggest problem with Fallen Order is that they didn't have enough scenes of you awkwardly introducing your maybe-sort-of-girlfriend to your disapproving parents.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Jestery posted:

You see , I thought the same thing....

I know the actor but he didn’t look this odd RL, something must be a little shonky with how his model was animated

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Oxxidation posted:

I know the actor but he didn’t look this odd RL, something must be a little shonky with how his model was animated

Sort like it falls into some kind of valley of the uncanny?

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Fe Three houses:

I'm always on the lookout for games like FFTactics that let you train as a class and keep the skills when you swap to something else and didn't know how the class abilities worked. I thought once you mastered one you were allowed to keep using them. Like if you learn how to cast fireball you could use that as a knight or a mercenary or whatever. I didn't think they'd turn off when you swapped classes.

Fifty Farts
Dec 23, 2013

- Meticulously Researched
- Peer-reviewed

RareAcumen posted:

Fe Three houses:

I'm always on the lookout for games like FFTactics that let you train as a class and keep the skills when you swap to something else and didn't know how the class abilities worked. I thought once you mastered one you were allowed to keep using them. Like if you learn how to cast fireball you could use that as a knight or a mercenary or whatever. I didn't think they'd turn off when you swapped classes.

You might be interested in Fell Seal: Arbiter's Mark. I picked it up recently and it feels very much like FFT, including keeping job skills when you switch jobs - you can equip a second job for its active skills, and can also use two passives and a counter from anything that character knows. Benched characters even get some AP (job skill points) after a battle.

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica
Last Order seems like a truly uninspired "soulslike" slapping the most generic IP over a game formula the devs didn't seem to really like or understand

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
lightsaber go vrrrrm

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

While I do applaud The Surge 2 for having character-creation, as opposed to all those other Euro RPGs who stick you with dudebros like Piranha Bytes, I wish there were more skin-tones. You can't get any shade darker than "Vampire Thandie Newton".

The Gamma is really off in my system. It reminds me of Fallout 4.

Inspector Gesicht has a new favorite as of 19:08 on May 11, 2020

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Inspector Gesicht posted:

You can't get any shade darker than "Vampire Thandie Newton".

This is me looking for a wife in Mount and Blade Bannerlord. Even the desert nation with the darkest dudes has almost entirely lily-white ladies.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

RareAcumen posted:

Fe Three houses:

magic is the only thing that's hardlocked like that, you can still use skills and weapon arts you've unlocked as you swap classes

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

While I do applaud The Surge 2 for having character-creation, as opposed to all those other Euro RPGs who stick you with dudebros like Piranha Bytes, I wish there were more skin-tones. You can't get any shade darker than "Vampire Thandie Newton".

The Gamma is really off in my system. It reminds me of Fallout 4.

The lighting in the character creator is a bit busted, the colors are all much darker/smoother ingame. Case in point, here's the character from my let's play:

And how she looked in the character creator:

I don't remember if that's the darkest skin tone or not but the lightest ones look albino white.

edit: I think it has something to do with how The Surge 2 does color grading. You can see the first screenshot has a bit of a washed out filter on it that makes the jet black hair seem a bit lighter and the skin a little darker. The character creator lacks that filter and just shows you what the character looks like without any effects applied.

CJacobs has a new favorite as of 21:32 on May 11, 2020

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Jokerpilled Drudge posted:

Last Order seems like a truly uninspired "soulslike" slapping the most generic IP over a game formula the devs didn't seem to really like or understand

I liked it a lot but I also bounced off Dark Souls and the other Soulslike games I've tried so I'm probably the target audience for the dumbed down one

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

I think it's a shame that the Onimusha remaster doesn't have any content from the original Xbox port (Genma Onimusha) which came out a year after the original.

Genma Onimusha had a creepy doll that would follow you around, a new super mode mechanic, new costumes, etc.

I understand that Capcom would want to start with the basic PS2 version, but the Xbox stuff could have been a great extra option to add value. Most importantly, I believe Genma let you skip cutscenes.

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!

Retro Futurist posted:

I liked it a lot but I also bounced off Dark Souls and the other Soulslike games I've tried so I'm probably the target audience for the dumbed down one

If you haven’t tried Sekiro you might like that. I greatly dislike all of Froms other games but adored Sekiro due to the parry mechanic which is somewhat replicated in Fallen Order.

On topic, I’ve been playing unrailed with my friends but I greatly dislike the snow biome. At first I thought we would have to deal with slippery ice but actually you need to deal with massive snow piles which greatly slow you down, obscure where the track is, and they frequently reappear after you get rid of them.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I decided to check out Sundered on steam as it was only £3, but I hate the flow of the game because the map system seems needlessly confusing - it only shows you parts of the map at a time so it's easy to forget where you've been, and the fact that enemies don't stop spawning is really frustrating, especially when trying to platform and seeing massive lasers start to take aim.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Which game has mocked the use of audio-logs best? Like where the speaker flubs, gets distracted, gets interrupted by bowel troubles, or acknowledges how dumb it is to record themselves?

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:dehumanize:
:killing:
:dehumanize:
The VO for the training course in Control is monotone and has a few flubs. You find a note from the actor angry that they went with his first take and demanding a redo.

Probably not the very best, but it was funny and the first thing that came to mind.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WWXy_wFVHCY

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

I feel like Portal 2 took the piss out of it best with all the amazing JK Simmons stuff

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Retro Futurist posted:

I feel like Portal 2 took the piss out of it best with all the amazing JK Simmons stuff

Anything with JK Simmons is basically automatically fantastic.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Anything with JK Simmons is basically automatically fantastic.

Except maybe The Snowman.

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape

Except maybe The Snowman.

That film should be studied for how to not make a film

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Jestery posted:

That film should be studied for how to not make a film

First course: https://youtu.be/buYxGFWCWNg

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 11 hours!
Mortal Kombat 11, why do you have so many Fatal Blows that specifically involve stabbing the enemy in the eye?

It's not even the fact that I don't like them that's getting me, it's that there's SO MANY. It feels like a fixation of some kind.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻

Cleretic posted:

Mortal Kombat 11, why do you have so many Fatal Blows that specifically involve stabbing the enemy in the eye?

It's not even the fact that I don't like them that's getting me, it's that there's SO MANY. It feels like a fixation of some kind.

I don't like how so many have their head getting completely skewered. Not because I'm squeamish, but because I have trouble believing that even these literal demigods can survive a knife through the temple or a spike poking out the other side of their cranium. It's like watching a fatality, and then the loser just gets back up.

Also I feel some fatalities having to be gory makes some of them look weird. Like when Cetrion grows to the size of a continent, shoots a sun laser from space, and the victim turns into big meaty chunks instead of being vaporized or something.

ForbiddenSock
May 12, 2020

Would using Nike brand socks for my seed be a cool flex?
Borderlands 3: It had TIGHT AND AWESOME GAMEPLAY and the first quarter of it was goddamn FIRE.

But as time progressed I found that my raging erection for the game began to shrivel and fade in the wake of the story. Namely that main characters get killed off in ways that do not really work relative to the strength they possessed, really cool plot lines with the villains that had potential did not get hashed out as much as they could, and they take away your achievements in every cut scene.

Everytime I approached a super cool boss fight it was always "Vault hunter we need you HALP PLS TO HALP" then a cutscene steals my win, kill, or takes away the win by letting some character I like get the poo poo kicked out of them to force the plot to move forward.

On the bright side I did like how they built up some of the side characters and companies. The relationship between sir Hammerlock and Jacobs was really wholesome and I would have enjoyed learning more about them if the Jacobs swamp area was a little less frustrating to drive around. The graphics were also incredible for what it was and the option to use two skills instead of grenades really makes you feel like a badass when you select a good combo.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

ForbiddenSock posted:

then a cutscene steals my win, kill, or takes away the win by letting some character I like get the poo poo kicked out of them to force the plot to move forward.

Another follower of the Ubisoft school of design. From top of my head the Assassins Creed 3 and Far Cry 5 were aggressively assholish on undoing everything the player did or prepared because of narrative and cut scenes. At least with AC they learned to not to do that.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
I want to like Kingmaker so much, but it's like the game actively doesn't want me to play it or something. I failed another of the big artisan questlines because I didn't want to murder a random person. This guy is like "To make this awesome hammer for you, I need you to murder this witch!" And so I go to where the witch is supposed to be and there's a lady there who maybe isn't the witch, but she says she knows the witch. There's no further detail and the big indication of who the witch is, is missing fingers which the game gives me no way to actually check whether or not this lady has missing fingers.

My conversation with this NPC is super limited, like she goes "I'm here to murder some guy, because I know this person who was hurt by this guy!" and you're like "Wait that sounds like my guy." And then your dialogue options are exclusively to murder her, go murder your guy, or to just end the conversation. Murdering her is explicitly a chaotic evil option, the lawful good option is to murder your guy, and ending the conversation to try and get more information or find a third solution just fails the question. I chose to just end the conversation thinking that maybe there was another solution where I find the witch and murder her, or I ask her for some blood to get my cool hammer without murdering her, because my guy isn't a bandit or whatever anymore; just an old smith.

But no. Just this poo poo with no real direction or choice between murdering two people.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

I've not played Kingmaker but from what I've heard about it, it consists entirely of a collection of things dragging it down

jjack229
Feb 14, 2008
Articulate your needs. I'm here to listen.

Dr Christmas posted:

I don't like how so many have their head getting completely skewered. Not because I'm squeamish, but because I have trouble believing that even these literal demigods can survive a knife through the temple or a spike poking out the other side of their cranium. It's like watching a fatality, and then the loser just gets back up.

Also I feel some fatalities having to be gory makes some of them look weird. Like when Cetrion grows to the size of a continent, shoots a sun laser from space, and the victim turns into big meaty chunks instead of being vaporized or something.

I had similar feelings playing one of the newer MKs at a friend's. The special move (whatever it's called) is over the top and feels like a fatality in the middle of the fight. An x-ray image of someone's skull shattering or their spine breaking and then they jump back up and keep fighting.

Not having played since MK3, it was neat to see where they went with the series, but some of it felt so over the top that it becomes boring.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 11 hours!

jjack229 posted:

I had similar feelings playing one of the newer MKs at a friend's. The special move (whatever it's called) is over the top and feels like a fatality in the middle of the fight. An x-ray image of someone's skull shattering or their spine breaking and then they jump back up and keep fighting.

Not having played since MK3, it was neat to see where they went with the series, but some of it felt so over the top that it becomes boring.

I think Injustice is a better series to get into if you want to start getting back into that corner of fighting games. Which is a little weird, because you'd think it'd be the more complicated given the fact it came after modern MK, but it's generally cleaner in terms of clearly identifiable mechanics, and while fighters are arguably more complex than MK with the addition of character powers, the fact that all the characters are so iconic and identifiable does a lot to reduce that; yeah, obviously you're gonna be playing a bit of catchup playing a new MK these days and having to learn who all these people are, but with Injustice you're a little further ahead, since you understand generally how Batman, Superman, The Flash, and so on fight.

Injustice is the closest I've felt to what Smash Bros does well outside of Smash Bros, actually. Both series are really good at looking at an iconic character and fitting them into their game without somehow breaking either of them. I've heard that even MK is a little hit-or-miss with that, but I'm not really as well-versed on the movies they pull from than I am with DC stuff.

Cleretic has a new favorite as of 14:14 on May 13, 2020

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

Qwertycoatl posted:

I've not played Kingmaker but from what I've heard about it, it consists entirely of a collection of things dragging it down

Yeah, everything I've heard about it makes it sound like the kind of game that I would like, ruined by hundreds of small decisions that I wouldn't like.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Cleretic posted:

Injustice is the closest I've felt to what Smash Bros does well outside of Smash Bros, actually. Both series are really good at looking at an iconic character and fitting them into their game without somehow breaking either of them. I've heard that even MK is a little hit-or-miss with that, but I'm not really as well-versed on the movies they pull from than I am with DC stuff.

It’s funny, I don’t like Injustice II because I can’t bring myself to care about DC characters. They worked fine in the first game but in the second I just didn’t like them.

Also the gear system was super weird.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:

ForbiddenSock posted:

On the bright side I did like how they built up some of the side characters and companies. The relationship between sir Hammerlock and Jacobs was really wholesome and I would have enjoyed learning more about them if the Jacobs swamp area was a little less frustrating to drive around.

Play Borderlands 2 to learn more about Hammerlock.

CordlessPen
Jan 8, 2004

I told you so...

Gerblyn posted:

Yeah, everything I've heard about it makes it sound like the kind of game that I would like, ruined by hundreds of small decisions that I wouldn't like.

Kingmaker reminds me of a super weird hang-up I have in isometric games where I get annoyed at the particle/lighting effects because I start imagining them from the characters' perspective. It's hard to explain... Like, in Baldur's Gate, Arcanum, Nox, etc. the effects are perfectly fine from the player's perspective because it's so far away, but I get annoyed because I feel like, on ground level, my character must be getting blinded by an Unreal Engine 2 acid trip.

I also get annoyed by overdone effects in FPS/TPS, but that makes more sense, I think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

In RDR2, gunshot decals you accumulate on your hat transfer to other hats you put on or buy, until you reload your save.