Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

bionic vapour boy posted:

I know, right?? I've got a friend who works for a local council and they're feeling great at having three whole days to reopen the sport facilities in parks and figure out how to ensure they're safe

I'm sure Boris will just copy the Irish guide and pretend he came up with it:

https://www.gov.ie/en/news/58bc8b-taoiseach-announces-roadmap-for-reopening-society-and-business-and-u/?referrer=/roadmap/

Give it a good read, and marvel when adults are in charge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

a pipe smoking dog posted:

Which were the unions proven to be complete shite by the labour leak?

Unison I think and GMB just had its secretary step down for being a mega sex creep, unsure if it's related to the labour thing though.

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010

forkboy84 posted:

https://twitter.com/LondonIWW/status/1259575815915876352?s=20

That there's no unions talking about a general strike right now really is the worst indictment possible of the contemporary labour movement & its complete refusal to put up a fight. Yeah, sure, it's illegal. Unions were illegal themselves once, didn't stop people organising together. If the only thing we can do to save lives is refusing to go to work then it's the moral thing to do.

Anyway, now really is the time to join a union if you are in work, even with them often as limp as they are. And consider also joining the IWW for an actually radical option. And while I don't control the purse strings, if you are short of cash & unable to afford to join up that seems like the sort of thing the UKMT solidarity fund could help with?

I think some of the better ones offer a free option for those who can't pay based on trust but I'm not absolutely certain now I type it out. Worth checking if this is a barrier for anyone.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

Vitamin P posted:

It is insane that he just said 'be out the door headed to work literally 12 hours from now lol' with absolutely no other guidance available.

don't forget the message was prerecorded! hours in advance! just needed to wait on it a bit so people could get even less notice

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal

OwlFancier posted:

Unison I think and GMB just had its secretary step down for being a mega sex creep, unsure if it's related to the labour thing though.

Unison definitely, and other GMB staff too.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

yeah well you were all told to be alert

gotcha!!!

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Also generally yeah if the secretary is like that you can assume there's a culture of it at the top.

Isomermaid
Dec 3, 2019

Swish swish, like a fish
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EFyXBeEEucE

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
If this causes another spike (and it will) do you think the folks 'in charge' will change their minds again?

Personally I think just sticking with "gently caress it, not going to bother listening to anything Boris says or does" might be better for all of us long term.

Also Owl, have you been following the Ask/Tell religion thread? It's been a bit... fraught as of late.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Josef bugman posted:

If this causes another spike (and it will) do you think the folks 'in charge' will change their minds again?

Personally I think just sticking with "gently caress it, not going to bother listening to anything Boris says or does" might be better for all of us long term.

Nicola Sturgeon has been pretty open that even when lockdown lifts, it may strengthen again or being increased in certain areas if there are spikes.

In England in sounds more like the message has been "when it lifts, it lifts and we're done" because they don't think people will put up with it a second time so who knows

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Not sure honestly. They might try but as you say, I think it's mostly gonna be individual businesses and people not being loving idiots that it comes down to. Depends on how keen the press is to gargle the government's ballsack.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

The fact that a lot of the major museums are collectively going "no, lol" to the governments statements is kind of hilarious to me.

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Truth is game rigging is more difficult than it looks pls stay ded

This chart is irrationally annoying to me. Don't make a simple 5 stage chart and then not use the actual stages! Have it be Orange level 4 or Yellow level 3, don't be like 'yo we made this discreetly delineated graph but it's really more how you feel y'know, I'd say we're at Apricot Honey level 3.6 or maybe it's more Amber 3.5, oh man I love Pink floyd pass the blunt"

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

:swoon: I can't get enough of are Dan :swoon:
It needs two extra stages, seven is a nice forensic number.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

Vitamin P posted:

This chart is irrationally annoying to me. Don't make a simple 5 stage chart and then not use the actual stages! Have it be Orange level 4 or Yellow level 3, don't be like 'yo we made this discreetly delineated graph but it's really more how you feel y'know, I'd say we're at Apricot Honey level 3.6 or maybe it's more Amber 3.5, oh man I love Pink floyd pass the blunt"

i love the small pointer giving the appearance of precision. does 3 start at the bottom? is it at the center? the top? is the whole square 3? what exactly does (3.5/5)*(Covid not present) + (1.5/5)*(risk of overwhelming NHS) equal, anyway?

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

I'm trying to get on to the discord server and having a bit of difficulty. Will try in the morning as not really sure I want to keep jabbing at it at the moment, but does anyone know what the difficulty might be?

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends
This one is a little more honest

https://twitter.com/ThatRyanD/status/1259553937323106304

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Truth is game rigging is more difficult than it looks pls stay ded
Can anyone parse this? https://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2020/05/10/job-retention-scheme-set-extended-september/ Paywall dodge-

Ministers are expected to extend the state bankrolling of wages until the end of September, albeit at a reduced rate of 60pc, while also topping up the pay packets of staff brought back to work on a part-time basis.

Changes to the furlough scheme could be announced by Rishi Sunak, the Chancellor, as soon as tomorrow.

The move is part of a package of ­reforms to wean Britain off furloughing as the Covid-19 lockdown is eased, with the Government desperate to get staff back to work.

Industry sources told the Telegraph that Cabinet ministers have ­begun telling bosses that the coronavirus job retention scheme will continue throughout the summer, with the taxpayer footing the bill for 60pc of wages.

Last night a Treasury source said talks were ongoing with final decisions on the furlough scheme yet to be taken.

Alongside the extension of the coronavirus job retention scheme, Mr Sunak is preparing to announce that furloughed staff returning to work part time will have their wages “topped up” by the Government.

Businesses are to be incentivised to gradually bring staff back to work so that social distancing rules can be ­observed and operations can be slowly built back up.

The Government has faced a growing headache of how to ­taper back its furloughing regime, which is costing an estimated £16bn a month, since it was introduced in March.

Originally intended to run until May, it was later extended until June.

With more than half of the adult population being bankrolled by the state, the Exchequer has been left with a furloughing bill that could soon surpass that of the cost of running the NHS.

Mr Sunak has previously insisted that “there will be no cliff edge to the furlough scheme” as the Treasury considers ways to wind the subsidy down and get Britain back to work.

Some business figures have raised concerns about prolonging state intervention in the economy.

Sir Lloyd Dorfman, the founder of bureau de change firm Travelex, said: “This furloughing is unsustainable for an extended period of time. I think they’re going to start to unwind it. And I think they’ve got to, they’ve got to get economic activity back happening again.”

The Institute of Directors welcomed plans to make furlough more flexible.

Edwin Morgan, director of policy, said: “Enabling people to return to work gradually can help businesses get back on their feet. With demand still flagging across the economy, and social distancing proving a challenge for many firms, the Government needs to be agile with its support.”

A Treasury spokesman said: “The coronavirus job retention scheme is an absolutely crucial element of our financial support in protecting jobs and businesses through this crisis and has already supported millions of workers across the UK.

“Future decisions around the scheme will take into account the wider context of any lockdown extension, as well as the public health ­response, so that people and businesses can get back to work when it is safe to do so.”

So they're already extending the furlough well past the point they say we'll be back at work but at a rate insufficient for poorer workers to live on what the gently caress is happening

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?

Angepain posted:

i love the small pointer giving the appearance of precision. does 3 start at the bottom? is it at the center? the top? is the whole square 3? what exactly does (3.5/5)*(Covid not present) + (1.5/5)*(risk of overwhelming NHS) equal, anyway?

When they showed it on the telly it was actually moving up and down so there really is no way of telling what stage we're supposed to be on.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Y'all addicted to free money and need weaning.

Some Businesses: "Oh no, the state!"

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Vitamin P posted:

So they're already extending the furlough well past the point they say we'll be back at work but at a rate insufficient for poorer workers to live on what the gently caress is happening

Can't die of COVID if you die of starvation and homelessness first.

"Look at COVID death rate dropping!" *kicks living poverty stats chart behind the sofa*

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 22:28 on May 10, 2020

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Thing expensive, cut thing by 20%, save money. Bish bosh I am the man running the treasury.

Endjinneer
Aug 17, 2005
Fallen Rib
This looks like the endgame of the managed senescence of our government over the past 40-50 years. Back in 1970 it ran all the major industries and housed 1 in 5 people. It was in everyone's life, all the time, literally from cradle to grave. By 2020, it was so absent it could no longer even guarantee protection from starvation. What we've just heard is the morphiated final hour ramblings which only serve as a pitiful reminder of the authority that once there was. Nobody can take it seriously because it's no longer recognisable as itself.

Turn to page 45 to fill the power vacuum with community networks and counter-institutions which create meaningful democracy and improve people's lives starting locally and working out.
Turn to page 46 to restore the natural order of things, where the weak are meat and the strong do eat.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Vitamin P posted:

Man, remember when the Yanks went to DEFCON 3.986?

It's an awful chart. Or use of the chart, the chart itself would be closer to alright.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

It would probably be cheaper to cancel all rent/mortgage payments and just pay for everyone's utilities and food instead of furlough.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

OwlFancier posted:

Thing expensive, cut thing by 20%, save money. Bish bosh I am the man running the treasury.

how about we add a new grant for coronaviruses that promise not to infect people as much. we may have to burn down some schools to pay for that but i hear you can easily do it all on computers these days

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Personally I do not subscribe to the alert state quinary. I believe that alertness is a spectrum based upon performed signifiers of concern.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

sebzilla posted:

It would probably be cheaper to cancel all rent/mortgage payments and just pay for everyone's utilities and food instead of furlough.

:monocle: B-but that would encourage people to be feckless - they're already laying around addicted to furlough. Why, if the government provided things, however would their mates make any profit!?

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum
None of these slides make any loving sense. Like, axes are meaningless...

I'm pretty sure this is one of those cum tzu viral ridicule things like the horrible 'get brexit done' ones but c'mon, peoples lives are at stake.

https://twitter.com/SamuelPAustin/status/1259574045688897539

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

forkboy84 posted:

https://twitter.com/LondonIWW/status/1259575815915876352?s=20

That there's no unions talking about a general strike right now really is the worst indictment possible of the contemporary labour movement & its complete refusal to put up a fight. Yeah, sure, it's illegal. Unions were illegal themselves once, didn't stop people organising together. If the only thing we can do to save lives is refusing to go to work then it's the moral thing to do.

Anyway, now really is the time to join a union if you are in work, even with them often as limp as they are. And consider also joining the IWW for an actually radical option. And while I don't control the purse strings, if you are short of cash & unable to afford to join up that seems like the sort of thing the UKMT solidarity fund could help with?

I need to remember to join the IWW.

This is my reminder to me to join the IWW when I'm awake enough to know how to internet properly.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

latest statistics, please adjust your alertness according to the reference scale

https://twitter.com/amateuradam/status/1259605005671239680

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Guavanaut posted:

Y'all addicted to free money and need weaning.

Some Businesses: "Oh no, the state!"

I enjoy how the Business Man they got to comment on it was the head of Travelex, who probably aren't enjoying this whole "no-one's travelling abroad" thing. No vested interests there I'm sure.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
A Sunday night is the absolute worst possible time to do this, so why was it specifically chosen? I pity whoever has to take public transport in London tomorrow.

frankenbeans
Feb 16, 2003

Good Times

Bardeh posted:

A Sunday night is the absolute worst possible time to do this, so why was it specifically chosen? I pity whoever has to take public transport in London tomorrow.

Bardeh posted:

A Sunday night is the absolute worst possible time to do this

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Angepain posted:

latest statistics, please adjust your alertness according to the reference scale

https://twitter.com/amateuradam/status/1259605005671239680

Initially I had the exact same thought, but have you considered that Dominic Cummings has invented a new algebra to describe the government's coronavirus statistics? What does the + operator mean? You have to be invited to a SAGE meeting to find out.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

Bardeh posted:

I think when they finally closed the schools they only announced the list of key workers who's children would be allowed into school on Monday over the weekend, so it's a pattern

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
The Unite website isn't processing applications, hopefully means their busy?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Also there's nothing on TV Sunday night so no-one's gonna get mad about Boris taking up screen time.