Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fart simpson)

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

Taiwan's central mountains being flatter than just about anywhere in China also is fun

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GATES FOUNDATION
Apr 28, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 7 years!

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

afaik Sichuan separatism is non-existent and has been non-existent for ages even though its so clearly distinct from China at large. I wonder why that is

Columbian exchange brought hot peppers to chengdu so now instead of launching revolts against the central government all the time they just simmer and mala food

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

Kunming as a lone spike in the middle of nowhere is pretty interesting.

afaik Sichuan separatism is non-existent and has been non-existent for ages even though its so clearly distinct from China at large. I wonder why that is

It's density not absolute population. Sichuan isn't distinct from China at large what the hell

The Sichuan dialect is pretty much identical to standard mandarin and easily understandable, meanwhile travel 50 miles out of Beijing in Hebei and they might as well be speaking Tibetan.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
I looked up the spike in the middle of that map. It's actual Wuhan where Han River joins the Long River in the center of the Jiang Han plain.

Didn't know how important of a second tier city Wuhan was until you look at the map (yeah I knew the population number of Wuhan but that was just a number).

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Antonymous posted:

Taiwan's central mountains being flatter than just about anywhere in China also is fun

Everyone lives on the Taiwanese plain. The Fujianese settlers who kicked out the aboriginals made sure of it

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

sincx posted:

There's been multiple occasions where some tyanant ordered Sichuan to be depopulated and replacement pops imported wholesale from other provinces.

The system works!

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

Throatwarbler posted:

It's density not absolute population. Sichuan isn't distinct from China at large what the hell

The Sichuan dialect is pretty much identical to standard mandarin and easily understandable, meanwhile travel 50 miles out of Beijing in Hebei and they might as well be speaking Tibetan.

Sichuan is geographically distinct from Eastern half of China in an obvious way. Big fertile basin surrounded by mountains is the sort of place where some independence-minded polity could hole up, but there's basically none of that sentiment.

Antonymous posted:

Most of China is more like hills. The mountain parts of China are similarly depopulated. People don't really live in the mountains

Rabelais D
Dec 11, 2012

ts'u nnu k'u k'o t'khye:
A demon doth defecate at thy door

Throatwarbler posted:

The Sichuan dialect is pretty much identical to standard mandarin and easily understandable

Massively wrong statement here

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

deng xiaoping is from sichuan, its party cadres are pretty powerful and it has a very high standard of living (esp compared to all the provinces around it) by chinese standards

why would they rebel against their own government

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

Sichuan is geographically distinct from Eastern half of China in an obvious way. Big fertile basin surrounded by mountains is the sort of place where some independence-minded polity could hole up, but there's basically none of that sentiment.

I think it has more to do with the Han people deing the one who expanded the farming potential and population of sichuan. The population from the three Kingdom era were pretty low.

There was also population replacement after war but I don't remember if it was/were due to war or famine.

This is a good question, I would like to know more too. Like was there a distinctive kingdom like the Nanyue kingdom in Guangdong?

stephenthinkpad has issued a correction as of 07:49 on May 10, 2020

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

Rabelais D posted:

Massively wrong statement here

It is way more similar to mandarin and largely mutually intelligible while like minnan or cantonese or wu are like, uh, not intelligible.

stephenthinkpad posted:

Didn't know how important of a second tier city Wuhan was until you look at the map (yeah I knew the population number of Wuhan but that was just a number).

Someone said Wuhan is like Chicago and I kinda agree, not that I spent much time in Chicago or Wuhan. You have the Beijing/Shanghai rivalry which is like New York / LA... Shenzhen is silicon valley... something like that. I had an ex who was taiwanese and when we went to America she was a little shocked by it and said "This is America? America is just Western China" and I thought that's funny.

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

Most of China is more like hills. The mountain parts of China are similarly depopulated. People don't really live in the mountains

Yeah I guess that's true. Usually when I'm in Taiwan I like to try to go to the central mountains and I never felt it was so depopulated but I guess that's cause I was a tourist going to places with people.

Bro Dad posted:

deng xiaoping is from sichuan, its party cadres are pretty powerful and it has a very high standard of living (esp compared to all the provinces around it) by chinese standards

He's from Chongqing and is the reason why Chongqing is a major city, special economic zone and not part of Sichuan anymore. And some sichuan people are a little butthurt about it.

Rabelais D
Dec 11, 2012

ts'u nnu k'u k'o t'khye:
A demon doth defecate at thy door

Antonymous posted:

It is way more similar to mandarin and largely mutually intelligible while like minnan or cantonese or wu are like, uh, not intelligible.

yes, but it is in no way "pretty much identical" to standard mandarin (unless that guy meant talking in Mandarin with a sichuan accent), and intelligibility really depends on what vocabulary is used, as anyone with a 四川方言词典 can attest, chuanhua basically has its own lexicon

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Antonymous posted:

Someone said Wuhan is like Chicago and I kinda agree, not that I spent much time in Chicago or Wuhan. You have the Beijing/Shanghai rivalry which is like New York / LA... Shenzhen is silicon valley... something like that. I had an ex who was taiwanese and when we went to America she was a little shocked by it and said "This is America? America is just Western China" and I thought that's funny.
what's chinese texas

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
not weighing on this but posting anyways

https://twitter.com/Mont_Jiang/status/1259007085712478210
https://twitter.com/Mont_Jiang/status/1259007927832248321

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Antonymous posted:

Yeah I guess that's true. Usually when I'm in Taiwan I like to try to go to the central mountains and I never felt it was so depopulated but I guess that's cause I was a tourist going to places with people.

It's not like there is nobody there, it still has high population density. But just compared to the rest of Taiwan and China it seems low.

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

Choose this life you're on your own
Isn't the Epoch Times run by Falun Gong?

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.

Forceholy posted:

yes. as well as those insane Shen Yun Concerts.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Forceholy posted:

yes

A4R8
Feb 28, 2020
Is Xinpingism a thing yet

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

A4R8 posted:

Is Xinpingism a thing yet

It's just Xi-ism now

GATES FOUNDATION
Apr 28, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 7 years!

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

Antonymous posted:

He's from Chongqing and is the reason why Chongqing is a major city, special economic zone and not part of Sichuan anymore. And some sichuan people are a little butthurt about it.

Chongqing was always a big city, it sits right on the Yangtze and goods flow from there. Chengdu was also big but somewhat less connected to the rest of China.

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

what's chinese texas

Honestly Xinjiang

GATES FOUNDATION
Apr 28, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 7 years!

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

what's chinese texas

Heilongjiang: oil, corruption, russian mafia all rolled in one

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

I guess if they say all that stuff they must mean it

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

GATES FOUNDATION posted:

Heilongjiang: oil, corruption, russian mafia all rolled in one

heilongjiang is poor as gently caress

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Jewel Repetition posted:

Saying one thing and doing another would make them lose face.

A4R8
Feb 28, 2020

Grapplejack posted:

It's just Xi-ism now

How many Xi-ists are itt

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

Jewel Repetition posted:

the one on the right absolutely believes it

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
Chinese Texas is Dongbei.

GATES FOUNDATION
Apr 28, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 7 years!

stephenthinkpad posted:

Chinese Texas is Dongbei.

Everything is bigger in dongbei, including the graft and corruption schemes

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/HongKongFP/status/1259380672197615621

so not only are they homophobic, they also want people to die of coronavirus?

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

gradenko_2000 posted:

So they're Chuds

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
is the Hong Kong free press run by the state department why are they so bad lol

BrokenGameboy
Jan 25, 2019

by Fluffdaddy

Jewel Repetition posted:

I'm not an expert on China. My understanding of the nation and its people/culture are constantly in Flux as I continue to learn more. However, if you're going to argue about b&r stuff, maybe look at it from the perspectives of the African/Asian nations themselves and why they want to partner with China, and not just see them as a prize to fight over.

BrokenGameboy has issued a correction as of 02:04 on May 11, 2020

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

gradenko_2000 posted:

like their use of pepe westerners are unable to understand what the f word means for hong kong

GATES FOUNDATION
Apr 28, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 7 years!

Antonymous posted:

So they're Chuds

what gave you that impression, was it flying the US/UK flags everywhere, lighting old people on fire, the pepe, or the homophobia

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Throatwarbler posted:

is the Hong Kong free press run by the state department why are they so bad lol

a quick google says its run by a British expat and was started via a crowdfunding campaign in 2015 so probably?

a primate
Jun 2, 2010

I assume that, like any mass movement, you’re going to have a lot of different people and diverse interests. Might be a mistake to write off their concerns of PRC overreach as chudliness alone.

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

a primate posted:

I assume that, like any mass movement, you’re going to have a lot of different people and diverse interests. Might be a mistake to write off their concerns of PRC overreach as chudliness alone.

nah all protesters are chuds

for every protest, ever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Top City Homo
Oct 15, 2014

Ramrod XTreme

Antonymous posted:

So they're Chuds

chinuds

chud hong

????