Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BrokenGameboy
Jan 25, 2019

by Fluffdaddy
Any idea on what happens to Colorado yet? I think we're likely to end up with California willingly or not, because of the Colorado River being their major source of water.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trumps Baby Hands
Mar 27, 2016

Silent white light filled the world. And the righteous and unrighteous alike were consumed in that holy fire.

animist posted:

when the emperor died the Incas would keep his body around and treat it like it was alive. Like, fanning it, bringing it food, taking it to events, holding court. dead emperors' households -- their wives and servants and retainers -- would continue to have political clout. By the time of the Spanish conquest there were 12 or 13 dead emperors vying for control in Cusco. It was basically Weekend at Bernie's: the civilization.

given the current status of Biden and Ruth Bader Ginsburg, im not convinced our civilization actually runs on different principles

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

BrokenGameboy posted:

Any idea on what happens to Colorado yet? I think we're likely to end up with California willingly or not, because of the Colorado River being their major source of water.

Either that or forcibly inducted into Deseret.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
What happens to Hawaii? I think that if balk happens the WSP will need to draw Hawaii into its union or sphere of influence. Losing a toehold on Hawaii means losing a vital "natural aircraft carrier" for exerting control over the Pacific. At the very least, the WSP will have to try extremely hard not to let Hawaii go loyalist lest there be a Federal (or whatever other union) friendly bastion from which to project power.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

DrSunshine posted:

What happens to Hawaii? I think that if balk happens the WSP will need to draw Hawaii into its union or sphere of influence. Losing a toehold on Hawaii means losing a vital "natural aircraft carrier" for exerting control over the Pacific. At the very least, the WSP will have to try extremely hard not to let Hawaii go loyalist lest there be a Federal (or whatever other union) friendly bastion from which to project power.

hawaii either starves to death or remains californias bitch

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

animist posted:

when the emperor died the Incas would keep his body around and treat it like it was alive. Like, fanning it, bringing it food, taking it to events, holding court. dead emperors' households -- their wives and servants and retainers -- would continue to have political clout. By the time of the Spanish conquest there were 12 or 13 dead emperors vying for control in Cusco. It was basically Weekend at Bernie's: the civilization.

given the current status of Biden and Ruth Bader Ginsburg, im not convinced our civilization actually runs on different principles

The dead Incas continued to have actual wealth and retainers that "spoke" for the Inca. The modern US equivalent of this probably is organizations like the Ford Foundation or Rockefeller Foundation, that use the founding robber baron's wealth to continue pursuing the founder's interests long after the founder has died.

so in a Balked US, I wonder if the Gates Foundation is going to preserve Bill's body after he dies.

Fuzzy McDoom
Oct 9, 2007

-MORE MONEY FOR US

-FUCK...YOU KNOW, THE THING

hawaii makes sensible trade overtures to Japan and/or China, then the mainland American powers flip their poo poo about the yellow peril and turn it back into a banana republic

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

DrSunshine posted:

every alt-history work assumes that Hawaii becomes Japanese-controlled because reasons

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

Hawaii will become a protectorate of Long Chile

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

hawaii will become fractally balked. first each island, then each acre, until each hawaiian is a balk unto themselves

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019
haha there’s like an active indigenous resistance movement against a telescope happening right now in hawaii

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Centrist Committee posted:

haha there’s like an active indigenous resistance movement against a telescope happening right now in hawaii

Yeah. That's why I'm thinking the optimistic take (which is usually wrong) is that the islands just return to the indigenous people.

Fuzzy McDoom
Oct 9, 2007

-MORE MONEY FOR US

Archduke Frantz Fanon posted:

hawaii will become fractally balked. first each island, then each acre, until each hawaiian is a balk unto themselves

Restore the Ahupu'a

I visited Hawaii a while back and one of the biggest surprises is the extent to which people agree that reforming land ownership to acommodate capitalism is when it all started going to poo poo

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

was it this thread or the general COVID thread with the poster who kept comparing the Hawaiian Kingdom to the Confederate States of American

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Atrocious Joe posted:

was it this thread or the general COVID thread with the poster who kept comparing the Hawaiian Kingdom to the Confederate States of American

Did the Hawaiians have a slaving culture?

Fuzzy McDoom
Oct 9, 2007

-MORE MONEY FOR US

Thump! posted:

Did the Hawaiians have a slaving culture?

They had a caste system, the lowest of which was prisoners of war who were arguably treated as slaves. There was also human sacrifice but I dont know how that fits into the bigger picture

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Fuzzy McDoom posted:

They had a caste system, the lowest of which was prisoners of war who were arguably treated as slaves. There was also human sacrifice but I dont know how that fits into the bigger picture

So essentially the same as the average US state then lmao

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Fuzzy McDoom posted:

that sounds more like modern america than the confederacy

mazzi Chart Czar
Sep 24, 2005

Fuzzy McDoom posted:

yeah but the thing is if balkanization happens, south dakota will in no way be on its own. the remnants of empire or the nearest feudatory-corporate state may not give the slightest of fucks about the area in general but they will 100% project their boot onto wherever the pipelines are at.

:worship:
completely forgot about corporations. Thank you.

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

mazzi Chart Czar posted:

completely forgot about corporations. Thank you.

don’t worry, they won’t forget about you ~*~

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
just follow crimson skies balk and also get cool blimps and planes with sky rogues

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop

Kitfox88 posted:

just follow crimson skies balk and also get cool blimps and planes with sky rogues

I'm so glad other people played this game. Didn't it come for free on XBox? But the story was such a neat concept. And the flying and tumbling around was so smooth.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Dumb Lowtax posted:

I'm so glad other people played this game. Didn't it come for free on XBox? But the story was such a neat concept. And the flying and tumbling around was so smooth.

there was a pc one that was less arcade-y before the xbox one that started you in the royal hawaiian islands and stopping a british attempt to take them over, iirc. :dong: it was a neat setting and they were both super fun, i'm sad the xbox one never got a port

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop

fermun posted:

the western states pact is gonna seize the herlong california tank depot and say that they are using them for military purposes, but secretly they will be working on modifications that turn them into tractors

I looked this up. Didn't someone post the field of tanks earlier in this thread? It strikingly reminds me of something else we saw in the news last year:

Dumb Lowtax posted:

Here's another way Tesla has been a canary in the coal mine: Remember those desert lots full of defective Model 3's? Tesla overproduced them to meet their quarterly estimates, there was no demand for them (or they were returned for low quality), and so Tesla famously hid them in urban parking structures and eventually just sent to huge desert lots to gather dust forever.

Has anyone thought yet to compare that saga to the Sierra Army Depot in Herlong, California?

Tesla was just the first to show how our entire country was loving around. Here's a desert lot full of TANKS.

More below. Look at all these tanks that our military industrial complex overproduced, way beyond any reasonable demand or usage they might see in any situation. How many of them are broken? How many of them are even maintained? How much money and labor was spent on this?

What organizational failures led to the decisions to just keep on producing? Whose job security was so important that they kept securing enough budget for this year after year? Well, let's see:

https://fox6now.com/2012/10/10/army-to-congress-thanks-but-no-tanks/ posted:

HERLONG, California (CNN) — If you need an example of why it is hard to cut the budget in Washington look no further than this Army depot in the shadow of the Sierra Nevada range.

CNN was allowed rare access to what amounts to a parking lot for more than 2,000 M-1 Abrams tanks. Here, about an hour’s drive north of Reno, Nevada, the tanks have been collecting dust in the hot California desert because of a tiff between the Army and Congress.

The U.S. has more than enough combat tanks in the field to meet the nation’s defense needs — so there’s no sense in making repairs to these now, the Army’s chief of staff Gen. Raymond T. Odierno told Congress earlier this year.

https://www.atlasobscura.com/places/sierra-army-depot posted:

NEARLY A MILE ABOVE SEA level in an isolated corner of Northern California, more than 26,000 armored vehicles stand ready. They form the most noticeable part of the Sierra Army Depot, a 36,000-acre repository for the U.S. Army’s tanks, trucks, and armored personal carriers.

The Army set up shop at Sierra during World War II and used the base to store vast quantities of bombs and ammunition in hundreds of armored “igloos.” The site made a lot of sense for this type of work. As the Army later recounted in BRAC testimony, the spot was “near enough to Pacific ports, but far enough from the coast to be sheltered from possible attack.” It also had its own rail spur and boasted of a low rainfall climate that minimized the threat of rusting.

Over the decades, the stockpile of weaponry at the Sierra Depot grew as the Army started using the arid base to store an expanding fleet of surplus vehicles. Today that includes some 2,000 M1 Abrams main battle tanks that are parked in neat rows, along with vast lots of armored personnel carriers, trailers, trucks, and other miscellanea.

Tesla existed to warn us of what the entire country's institutions were actually up to. Military, corporate, financial. To get our attention enough it had to be as stupid as possible.

Happy Thread has issued a correction as of 09:27 on May 11, 2020

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

So can I just go and offer cash for a tank?

tiberion02
Mar 26, 2007

People tend to make the common mistake of believing that a situation will last forever.

net work error posted:

So can I just go and offer cash for a tank?

This is like the opening scene to "Lord of War 2030" starring Nicolas Cage.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=45wce6oSr0M

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe
Just realized most of my loans/credit cards are based in the Midwest and on east coast. I'm in Washington State.

Citibank sending paratroopers behind enemy lines to collect on debts.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Fuzzy McDoom posted:

yeah, about that...

every single cop in this picture is obese

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

https://twitter.com/jimpjorps/status/1259915010823852033?s=19

solidarityforever
May 11, 2020

I will never jeopardize the beans
Cow goes MOO. Sheep goes BAA. America goes BALK. :stoked:

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010

mazzi Chart Czar posted:

What is success for native Americans, is it killing off everybody in South Dakota or just scaring off enough people to get a good chunk of land? They have a population of 2000 people in South Dakota.

there are actually about 70,000 of us in South Dakota per the last census bro, we're almost 10% of the state's population, larger than every other non-white ethnic group combined. if you're just looking at the western half of the state we're almost a quarter of the population

the 1870 census is a little out of date

Mister Bates has issued a correction as of 20:53 on May 11, 2020

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

Appreciate Canada trading is Isle Royal, which is full of inbred wolves and lame, in exchange for Manitoulin Island, which is full of indigenous people and cool

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

tiberion02 posted:

This is like the opening scene to "Lord of War 2030" starring Nicolas Cage.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=45wce6oSr0M

Lord of War was really good.

animist
Aug 28, 2018

Archduke Frantz Fanon posted:

broke: cell membrane
woke: cell border (disputed)

Atrocious Joe posted:

The dead Incas continued to have actual wealth and retainers that "spoke" for the Inca. The modern US equivalent of this probably is organizations like the Ford Foundation or Rockefeller Foundation, that use the founding robber baron's wealth to continue pursuing the founder's interests long after the founder has died.

so in a Balked US, I wonder if the Gates Foundation is going to preserve Bill's body after he dies.

could absolutely see this happening.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

:hai:

PipHelix
Nov 11, 2017

Rutibex posted:

every single cop in this picture is obese

In high school we'd use the same track for cross country/track practice that the local cops and national guard would use for their 'training'. I can't tell whether our coach was an ACAB type (though he was generally irreverent as a high school teacher could be and not get in trouble) or just a tactical genius or what. But he'd schedule the hardest workouts for those days they'd be on the track and we'd just turn them out like automatons without a complaint and none of the usual slacking.

We'd get there and our coach would stand there, silent, as we were lapping these fat fucks on an 800 (that's two times around, you basically need to be standing still to get lapped), then dropping, busting out pushups, squats, crunches, meanwhile their instructor screams at them to keep dog-trotting or trying to get them to do a single sit-up over their guts. The whole time staring them down to let them know that, yea, we're the kids they try to catch in the woods on the weekend and we're not impressed and good loving luck.

E: to preempt any accusations of bragging, I pretty much sucked. But a skinny 15 year old who at least tries to stay in good cardio shape is going to just absolutely murder your average cop, who is scientifically proven to be a local high school football star who turns out wasn't good enough to go to college stayed in his hometown and let his body go to absolute poo poo because he now had a badge and a gun for intimidation purposes.

Anyway, to the topic at hand, I am super glad I and the SO have in--demand skills. Spent the last 4 trying to do some good faith lefty grassroots work but I'm having to admit I think the boat is well sailed. Time to pull a Szilard, beat feet and help whoever wants to give me a passport to chop this shithole up in ten years' time.

PipHelix has issued a correction as of 04:32 on May 12, 2020

mazzi Chart Czar
Sep 24, 2005

Mister Bates posted:

there are actually about 70,000 of us in South Dakota per the last census bro, we're almost 10% of the state's population, larger than every other non-white ethnic group combined. if you're just looking at the western half of the state we're almost a quarter of the population

the 1870 census is a little out of date

Yeah I hosed up and got it wrong. I looked at up Wikipedia for information and thought "live births" were population totals. My fault. hosed up. Sorry I was wrong.

I looked at that first spreadsheet.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demographics_of_South_Dakota

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop

PipHelix posted:

In high school we'd use the same track for cross country/track practice that the local cops and national guard would use for their 'training'. I can't tell whether our coach was an ACAB type (though he was generally irreverent as a high school teacher could be and not get in trouble) or just a tactical genius or what. But he'd schedule the hardest workouts for those days they'd be on the track and we'd just turn them out like automatons without a complaint and none of the usual slacking.

We'd get there and our coach would stand there, silent, as we were lapping these fat fucks on an 800 (that's two times around, you basically need to be standing still to get lapped), then dropping, busting out pushups, squats, crunches, meanwhile their instructor screams at them to keep dog-trotting or trying to get them to do a single sit-up over their guts. The whole time staring them down to let them know that, yea, we're the kids they try to catch in the woods on the weekend and we're not impressed and good loving luck.

E: to preempt any accusations of bragging, I pretty much sucked. But a skinny 15 year old who at least tries to stay in good cardio shape is going to just absolutely murder your average cop, who is scientifically proven to be a local high school football star who turns out wasn't good enough to go to college stayed in his hometown and let his body go to absolute poo poo because he now had a badge and a gun for intimidation purposes.

I wish I could favorite/retweet this post

PipHelix
Nov 11, 2017

Dumb Lowtax posted:

I wish I could favorite/retweet this post

The closest I've ever come to being Ivan Drago mechanically murdering a heavy bag, except I was an insufferably shy 5'8" 130lbs, and these Pillsbury cinnamon rolls of men supposedly had a license to kill/were gonna save us from Al Qaeda.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Line Feed
Sep 7, 2012

Seeds taste better with friends.

gently caress yeah, I'll fight for the Republic of Wawa. Never seen a Wegmans tho lmao