Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
edit: forums borked out for a bit there

toasterwarrior fucked around with this message at 23:36 on May 10, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mercrom
Jul 17, 2009
Thanks. I'll try it out. Siege battles are so bad.

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe
I started following the advice of treating siege battles as field battles, and abandoning the walls once the ladders go up

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008
Regarding siege battles, this is admittedly pie-in-the-sky not gonna happen, but what if siege battles were assumed to take place after the walls were breached? So instead of walls you'd have like a cityfight map with the attacking army starting with significant losses and vigor penalties. Would that be more fun/interesting?

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.

smug jeebus posted:

Regarding siege battles, this is admittedly pie-in-the-sky not gonna happen, but what if siege battles were assumed to take place after the walls were breached? So instead of walls you'd have like a cityfight map with the attacking army starting with significant losses and vigor penalties. Would that be more fun/interesting?

the ai could not handle this

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008

Third World Reagan posted:

the ai could not handle this

I mean, it can't handle sieges now either. :shrug:

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Neither can I! I hate em!

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
The ai didnt handle the sieges in attila any worse then they do in wh, just go back to those, at least those varied the layout a bit and had actual street fighting.

One of the things I enjoyed most in Attila was beating that big Barbarian stack that starts in your territory as the Eastern Romans with nothing but a quarter full stack of troops and a city garrison. You could use the city streets as choke points and hold out in the town center by setting up a shield wall on each of the three main streets that led to it. Then you just needed to sneak your cavalry over to destroy their catapult and pray that your men dont break. Ive never had a siege battle in wh that was even half as fun as that one town defense.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Above all its the walls that make poo poo awful imo. Not to say just constany streets would be better (or manageable by AI) but storming walls is always the second least fun part of sieges for me; most unfun part being shooting towers with siege weapons til they die.

A Perfect Twist
Aug 15, 2007

"What have I done? I'll have to start again. To forget and to disappear. I'll head north, far-north, to that big question mark, the Northern Territory"

Dandywalken posted:

Neither can I! I hate em!

Let me share my Nakai strategy. This is solid break-down of the intricacies of this complex gaming world that Creative Assembly and Games Workshop have melded with aplomb. Some say video games are art but they are yet to sample such depth of tactical purpose and perfection of style.

Step 1: Begin battle. Instruct big monster man/s to attack gate.

Step 2: When gate is broken, spam abilities to clear bad mans from blocking the way in.

Step 3: Take central plaza. Win battle. Notice that you won with minor casualties even when force marker was apparently in the bad mans favour. Battle reports a pyhrric victory.

Step 4: Raise temple in the name of big red God.

Step 5: Find new bad man settlement and repeat.

A Perfect Twist fucked around with this message at 07:31 on May 11, 2020

Neuronyx
Dec 8, 2016

gently caress ME who the hell said Malus sucked? Because I blame YOU for this.

Fought a battle against him as Clan Eshin, specifically a stack with a warrior lord and not Sniktch or anything, and an ambush one at that! And I beat his army handily. Neither of us had very large stacks, but it soon came down to him BY HIMSELF routing several units of clanrats, THEN a RoR clanrat unit, as well as a stormvermin unit. ( Not necessarily in that order mind you, they were all ganged up on him ). Unless i'm insane, I think he gained all his health back somehow.

So anyway the son of a bitch Jet Li'd his way through these units AND the commanding Lord, until he was clear and I said oh gently caress this and sic'd my RoR jezzails AND RoR gatling gunners on him. EVERY LAST BULLET was needed to kill him. God drat. The emo kid has earned my respect.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Neuronyx posted:

Fought a battle against him as Clan Eshin, specifically a stack with a warrior lord and not Sniktch or anything, and an ambush one at that! And I beat his army handily. Neither of us had very large stacks, but it soon came down to him BY HIMSELF routing several units of clanrats, THEN a RoR clanrat unit, as well as a stormvermin unit. ( Not necessarily in that order mind you, they were all ganged up on him ). Unless i'm insane, I think he gained all his health back somehow.

So anyway the son of a bitch Jet Li'd his way through these units AND the commanding Lord, until he was clear and I said oh gently caress this and sic'd my RoR jezzails AND RoR gatling gunners on him. EVERY LAST BULLET was needed to kill him. God drat. The emo kid has earned my respect.

he can transform into tzarkan and get superpowered, but then his health deteriorates until he dies so you just kite him

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Come on, the Snikch vs. Malus rivalry is so incredibly anime that you should've expected the demon-possessed edglelord elf swordsman would activate Devil Trigger and just go to town on swarms of garbage rat infantry (yes, Stormvermin are technically still garbage).

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
Malus has a Greater Daemon of Slaanesh sharing his body named T'zarkan which he can unleash to regain a shitload of health and become one of the most op combat lords in the game. Sounds like he went Super Saiyan on your army.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

I R SMART LIKE ROCK posted:

I started following the advice of treating siege battles as field battles, and abandoning the walls once the ladders go up
Most people are not complaining about siege defense. The game is about painting the map your color, which requires offense. Offensive sieges suck.

Marin Karin
Jul 29, 2011

What are you, compared to my magnificence?
Doing offensive sieges so much in the endgame makes me understand how the Iron Warriors ended up the way they did.

Your Brain on Hugs
Aug 20, 2006
So I just started playing this as my first total war gave ever, on the vortex campaign as tyrion because I want to get to grips with things as easily as possible. I've been faffing around a lot though, and some other factions have already done their first rituals while I'm still at about 150 waystones.
Am gonna be screwed by being behind too much or is it easy enough to catch up later on?
I'm also not too sure exactly what I'm supposed to be doing, should I be heading over the ocean as soon as possible to try and take down one of the ritual factions?
Right now I'm trying to wipe out the high elf faction I'm at war with because it told me to capture that city by the volcano. Does anyone even play this campaign or is it all mortal empires?

Another question, are there any mods for this that are must haves, or ones I should be getting as soon as I'm feeling comfortable with the mechanics?
A mod that the battle camera less restrictive would be nice.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Is there a reason why as Throgg I used to be able to "eat captives" after a battle to get health for my army back, but now I can't? I'm not sure what changed.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Your Brain on Hugs posted:

So I just started playing this as my first total war gave ever, on the vortex campaign as tyrion because I want to get to grips with things as easily as possible. I've been faffing around a lot though, and some other factions have already done their first rituals while I'm still at about 150 waystones.
Am gonna be screwed by being behind too much or is it easy enough to catch up later on?
I'm also not too sure exactly what I'm supposed to be doing, should I be heading over the ocean as soon as possible to try and take down one of the ritual factions?
Right now I'm trying to wipe out the high elf faction I'm at war with because it told me to capture that city by the volcano. Does anyone even play this campaign or is it all mortal empires?

Another question, are there any mods for this that are must haves, or ones I should be getting as soon as I'm feeling comfortable with the mechanics?

You can actually ignore Vortex if you want. When another faction reaches the end, you have 5 or so turns to complete a quest battle that will knock them out of the race permanently.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

You can catch up, and even if you lose the race, you get a chance to knock out your competitors with a scripted event. The race is technically an illusion.

Your main goal is to unite the donut island you're on, with diplomacy or by force. (If you don't have the DLC, you'll need to murder Allarielle at least.) After that, you can do whatever you like. Murdering the competition is an option, but hardly obligatory.

ME is more popular than Vortex but I personally like Vortex for its clearer goals, shorter playtime, better map (yeah I said it), and the fact that it's less likely to stagnate. ME is more popular because of its bigger map, the fact that it gets all the factions into the game, and its more open-ended nature. (Plus people hate the random enemy spawns on Vortex.)

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Problem with sieges is new players hate them because they don't know how to win them and veterans hate them because they know how to cheese them, to a veteran every single siege becomes the exact same cheese of balling your army up beneath a single gate, using magic or monsters to clear 50% of the garrison and then clearing the last 25% on the capture point, at which point the last 25% uselessly guarding the wall sections you ignored routes off from army losses.

At least on a open field the AI can flank you and there is some semblance of tactical thinking needed.

Ra Ra Rasputin fucked around with this message at 02:13 on May 11, 2020

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I can see that Norsca may need a bit of an overhaul. The idea of having weak Garrison's makes sense given the location, but that just means that the AI steamrolls the territory because they take maybe two models of attrition damage pet turn. That and Bretonnia somehow has the economy to field seven armies to my one and they're all gunning for me.

I really hope that Grom murders them all in a few weeks time

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

AnEdgelord posted:

The ai didnt handle the sieges in attila any worse then they do in wh, just go back to those, at least those varied the layout a bit and had actual street fighting.

One of the things I enjoyed most in Attila was beating that big Barbarian stack that starts in your territory as the Eastern Romans with nothing but a quarter full stack of troops and a city garrison. You could use the city streets as choke points and hold out in the town center by setting up a shield wall on each of the three main streets that led to it. Then you just needed to sneak your cavalry over to destroy their catapult and pray that your men dont break. Ive never had a siege battle in wh that was even half as fun as that one town defense.

It does sound like a lame excuse when CA says 'oh we had to make the siege battles this way so the AI could handle it' when you compare to other titles. But the AI does have to deal with magic, flying poo poo, and all sorts of crazy poo poo that the historical titles didn't have.

It's still not really an excuse, but they improved siege battles a ton in Three Kingdoms so hopefully they cracked the code on how to make them fun for WH3.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
One thing they could do is make it so siege maps are just battlemaps with a defender advantage of hills and chokepoints or extra ammo and to start the battle the attacking army has to lay siege to get through the walls.
An example system being you need 3 siege points to attack your average walled settlement, you get 1 SP for every turn you besiege the settlement on the map and your army gets 1 SP for every artillery or siege monster in it and campaign skills could add SP to the lords or specific units or reduce the threshold needed.

Ra Ra Rasputin fucked around with this message at 02:21 on May 11, 2020

Neuronyx
Dec 8, 2016

AnEdgelord posted:

Malus has a Greater Daemon of Slaanesh sharing his body named T'zarkan which he can unleash to regain a shitload of health and become one of the most op combat lords in the game. Sounds like he went Super Saiyan on your army.

toasterwarrior posted:

Come on, the Snikch vs. Malus rivalry is so incredibly anime that you should've expected the demon-possessed edglelord elf swordsman would activate Devil Trigger and just go to town on swarms of garbage rat infantry (yes, Stormvermin are technically still garbage).

Okay yeah I knew their DLC had weeb energy, I should've expected it honestly.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

The AI can't handle GCCM maps very well but I tend to enjoy them more than regular ones. At least you get some loving variety and I'm not just cheesing them the exact same way every time (which the AI also cannot handle).

Like yesterday I was playing Ikit vs Carcassonne and started drilling into a wall with warp grinders, but to my surprise I was getting hit by some archers that positioned themselves on an elevated area where they could get shots off. But the elevated area was sloped downwards, so I was able to set up my warp lightning cannons and jezzails on a hill nearby with good line of sight, allowing those units to actually contribute to a siege for once. Was the AI dumb as hell and kept parking their cavalry on that slope to get shot at? Sure, but it was something different.

Neuronyx posted:

Malus sucks because his campaign mechanics suck, which I'm not sure the AI even has to deal with. In combat he's fine. Not great since he doesn't have a particularly good mount, doesn't have magic, and the demon transformation kills him, but he's still fine.

Vargs fucked around with this message at 02:36 on May 11, 2020

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Internet Explorer posted:

Is there a reason why as Throgg I used to be able to "eat captives" after a battle to get health for my army back, but now I can't? I'm not sure what changed.

i think you cant eat some factions? tomb kings for one

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Vargs posted:

The AI can't handle GCCM maps very well but I tend to enjoy them more than regular ones. At least you get some loving variety and I'm not just cheesing them the exact same way every time (which the AI also cannot handle).

Like yesterday I was playing Ikit vs Carcassonne and started drilling into a wall with warp grinders, but to my surprise I was getting hit by some archers that positioned themselves on an elevated area where they could get shots off. But the elevated area was sloped downwards, so I was able to set up my warp lightning cannons and jezzails on a hill nearby with good line of sight, allowing those units to actually contribute to a siege for once. Was the AI dumb as hell and kept parking their cavalry on that slope to get shot at? Sure, but it was something different.

Malus sucks because his campaign mechanics suck, which I'm not sure the AI even has to deal with. In combat he's fine. Not great since he doesn't have a particularly good mount, doesn't have magic, and the demon transformation kills him, but he's still fine.

If he dies from Tzarkan in battle is he wounded and out of action on the campaign map also? That sounds pretty annoying.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

smug jeebus posted:

I mean, it can't handle sieges now either. :shrug:

You can always play with the map mod pack.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Endorph posted:

i think you cant eat some factions? tomb kings for one

Nah, it can't be that. I've had the same thing happen on my wulfrik playthrough. You just... Stop getting the replenishment option. I wonder if it's tied to certain lord skills or researches

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

As for the mods "Better Camera mod" might just be what you want.

But there's nothing that's really required as such. Although that one is nice.

e: apparently it's "better camera mod" not "better camera 2", either way that's a very good one

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 04:25 on May 11, 2020

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Mordja posted:

If he dies from Tzarkan in battle is he wounded and out of action on the campaign map also? That sounds pretty annoying.

He's at 1 hp

Chocobo
Oct 15, 2012

Here comes a new challenger!
Oven Wrangler
I'm currently steamrolling a legendary Alith Anar Vortex campaign with nothing but Lothern Sea Guards (Shields). This is not what I expected.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Chocobo posted:

I'm currently steamrolling a legendary Alith Anar Vortex campaign with nothing but Lothern Sea Guards (Shields). This is not what I expected.

Ranged units with shields are very good.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Shield guard are also one of the best units in the game, yeah. They're pretty decent spear infantry with a good ranged attack, shields, decent armour, cheap, and they benefit from two sets of red line buffs and you can even get lords that specialize in leading them. Plus high elf martial prowess disproportionately benefits weaker units.

There's basically no reason to use anything else and it's one of the reasons I hate helf campaigns because they're dull as ditchwater. Just endless eartide of poo poo tier elfs that can do everything.

If you want to be really fancy you can mix in some archers which I think are slightly better shooters so they make a slightly better second rank, but otherwise just more loving shield guard.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 05:08 on May 11, 2020

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.

OwlFancier posted:

Shield guard are also one of the best units in the game, yeah. They're pretty decent spear infantry with a good ranged attack, shields, decent armour, cheap, and they benefit from two sets of red line buffs and you can even get lords that specialize in leading them. Plus high elf martial prowess disproportionately benefits weaker units.

There's basically no reason to use anything else and it's one of the reasons I hate helf campaigns because they're dull as ditchwater. Just endless eartide of poo poo tier elfs that can do everything.

If you want to be really fancy you can mix in some archers which I think are slightly better shooters so they make a slightly better second rank, but otherwise just more loving shield guard.

Sisters of Avelorn and/or shadow walkers have enough new capability via AP damage and/or fire-on-the-move they can do what Sea Guard do to like 2-3 armies at once, but yeah Sea Guard can coast you through the majority of the game easy when leaned into. Bonus points if you only grab the 60 influence lords with "Punitive" for any new armies.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Sea guard with shields are like dwarves.

They teach people bad practices.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Know what a cool balance tweak would be for making fighting Wood Elves in campaign palatable? Since their armies are already hanging around the woods all day?

Remove their garrisons :twisted:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Mazz posted:

Sisters of Avelorn and/or shadow walkers have enough new capability via AP damage and/or fire-on-the-move they can do what Sea Guard do to like 2-3 armies at once, but yeah Sea Guard can coast you through the majority of the game easy when leaned into. Bonus points if you only grab the 60 influence lords with "Punitive" for any new armies.

I don't have the DLC so I don't think I get either of those units alas. I do use Alith Anar's own brand equivalent (in his army, at least) but I struggle to compete even then with the sheer clout of such an easy and cheap unit to get.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I guess it's a good thing that Wulfrik's skills make him tailor made to fight Bretonnians, considering that I've killed somewhere around thirty or so enemy stacks on my way to capturing Couronne. I don't really care for Fimir, but a good mix of Champions, Mammoths and Armoured Skin Wolves throws a lot at the horses. Those werewolves might not have armour piercing like minotaurs but they're loving fast and hit like a truck when you pair them with Lore of Metal.

And the mammoths are giving me happy Rome Total War memories playing as Carthage.

Of course now the Empire has finally decided to declare war on me, so my poo poo economy and lack of a backup army is gonna hurt me hard.