Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Overemotional Robot
Mar 16, 2008

Robotor just hasn't been the same since 9/11...
Well, at first I just didn't get how it worked. It felt more fiddly than other parts of the system. I think I've got it now, though. I also think the players didn't find it deadly enough at first either (because I didn't get it).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Napoleon Nelson
Nov 8, 2012

Would offering a bribe result in Conflict? And does it matter if the goal is to avoid lowercase conflict?

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Napoleon Nelson posted:

Would offering a bribe result in Conflict?

From a certain point of view... :v:

What's the context? And what's the character's specific Morality strength/weakness?

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Napoleon Nelson posted:

Would offering a bribe result in Conflict? And does it matter if the goal is to avoid lowercase conflict?

I would personally say no, all else being equal (like the official is already open to the bribe due to greed vs. jeopardizing his career to afford to treat his son's space cancer, the bribe is not in something problematic like slaves or death sticks).

There are other Force traditions for sure, but based on how the Jedi operate, if minor complicity to achieve a supposed "greater good" in a corrupt and moribund system of government gave you conflict every member of the order who didn't balk at a dubiously sourced army of brainwashed child slave soldiers would have immediately turned red eyed and gotten force lightning powers.

I mean you can get into situational vs universal, utilitarinism vs egoism, but that's my take on it.

Napoleon Nelson
Nov 8, 2012

Drone posted:

From a certain point of view... :v:

What's the context? And what's the character's specific Morality strength/weakness?

The character has to get through a checkpoint to get back from a forbidden area with medical equipment for a doctor.

Their Morality is pride/arrogance and independence/coldness

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Yeah I wouldn't give Conflict for that.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Napoleon Nelson posted:

The character has to get through a checkpoint to get back from a forbidden area with medical equipment for a doctor.

Their Morality is pride/arrogance and independence/coldness

Obi-Wan doesn't even bother to bribe those stormtroopers, he just mind controls them to let them pass.
Qui-Gon literally cheats at gambling to trick a shopkeeper.

The bribe is fine.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

You are literally sneaking medical supplies to an underequipped doctor. I think you're fine.

Servetus
Apr 1, 2010
...And the alternative courses of action would likely include either Mind Tricks or using a Lightsaber. When the alternative strategies are using your powers for trickery or violence, just paying someone off is almost the high road.

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that
Also, even if something gives Conflict it's not that big of a deal. It's entirely possible that things like Qui-gon cheating at dice did give him a conflict point. A certain level of conflict is easily absorbed by the d10 roll

Napoleon Nelson
Nov 8, 2012

Thanks for the input, everyone. It's good for me to keep in mind that the Force doesn't care about the law.

Chronische
Aug 7, 2012

Napoleon Nelson posted:

Thanks for the input, everyone. It's good for me to keep in mind that the Force doesn't care about the law.

It doesn't, but it does care about methods and how you felt doing whatever it is you were doing. It's why jedi don't gain conflict for killing, either, just for murder or violence as a first resort!

Overemotional Robot
Mar 16, 2008

Robotor just hasn't been the same since 9/11...
I've got a Padawan who survived order 66 and is in over his head with a local crime lord on Delphon. The crime lord knows he is force sensitive and is blackmailing him to do jobs, but the crew he is running with are, uh, really violent. He just aided in kidnapping a princess (who is also force sensitive, which he found out in the throne room) and is in hyperspace at the moment heading to turn her over to an obvious dark side cult. I am really curious to see what choice he makes, because I think the others will go along with it (they saw 25k and immediately took that job even though they could have taken the Max Rebo band to a wedding reception instead!)

He has already racked up a bit of conflict from shooting first and asking questions later, so I'm rooting for them all to become good guys.

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

Had a pair of sessions over the past weekend that went incredibly well. I yet again forgot to use Destiny points and Obligation rolling for the first one, but the second time around I asked someone to remind me at the start to use them and I was so happy they did. Both sessions were part of a wilderness adventure on Felucia and they were hunting a Rancor - I used the destiny points to get force them to do another stealth check and later cause a cave in, and the players used them to target the inside of the Rancor's mouth with their stun weaponry, which I let ignore most of the Rancor's soak (although I probably should have increased the difficulty of the attack rolls more).

Later on I had them ambushed by a Mandalorian bounty hunter who was involved in one of the character's backstories, the Zabrak melee fighter. I misjudged the difficulty a bit as the fight was far too easy, but that actually ended up working very well - the Zabrak managed to cut off his arm and now they've kidnapped the guy and stolen his ship. Next session the party will be split across two ships, which I think I'll use to try to teach them space combat (and also to learn it myself!) - thinking about having the party be attacked by the hunter's crew, and separately by the Empire who are looking to rescue a Senator that the party has kidnapped.

We've been using the Discord dice bot for our rolls, and surprisingly I've found that it's actually going a lot better than the in-person rolls because everyone can actually see them. Also saves a hell of a lot of time on the big rolls because it calculates the final results for you. Have also been using Discord screensharing to show them PowerPoint slides with Star Wars pictures on them (I am terrible at describing things so I try to supplement my descriptions with the slides) and their charactersheets are all made in the Oggdude Character Generator.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Dawgstar posted:

Perhaps whomever gets the SW RPG license next will actually see if they can have PDFs as part of the deal.

Probably not but it's a nice thought.

EA is probably gonna lose the license soon, so maybe. The reason there are no PDFs is because that counts as "electronic gaming" by EA's loving contract, so FFG actually wasn't even allowed to make digital version because EA has exclusive publishing rights to all Star Wars electronic gaming.

Yes, it is dumb as gently caress.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

I shudder to think how if EA cared enough for the tiny kernals of the market TTRPG represents, they would monetize a gaming system built around exception based career options and splatbooks.

Soup Inspector
Jun 5, 2013
If this is better suited to the GM advice thread, let me know!

To cut a long story short, in my FaD campaign my players have been trying to gather a force to help them conquer a planet that mines crystals important to the Empire's plans (said planet was left locked in civil war after the team whipped up a rebellion and used a ship to escape). As part of the effort to liberate the planet they went to a shadowport to recruit pilots. Here the ex-inquisitor-in-training PC trying to mend his ways unwittingly lost a game of Hintaro to a Black Sun Vigo in disguise. The stakes were that either the Vigo would send some of her pilots to help, or the gang would end up on the hook for undisclosed favours to the Vigo. I felt bad for the player so I had the Vigo let them have some of her pilots anyway but left her ultimate "request" unspecified for now.

What could the Vigo want the party to do eventually that could set up some interesting conflicts? The PCs are (in no particular order):

1. The aforementioned ex-inquisitorial initiate. He's the combat monster of the group. His motivation is ambition (for more power) and his morality axes are pride + independence vs. anger + hatred. He hates slavery but I'm already pulling on that particular string with the Hutt the team got the rest of their pilots from (and whom they're planning to eventually betray because gently caress that guy).

2. An engineer from the ex-Separatist world of Sluis Van. Master tinkerer and engineer. His motivation is self-improvement through succeeding at challenges. His axes are compassion vs. coldness. He's been played as somewhat more concerned with his machines than anything.

3. A padawan who survived Order 66. The team's pilot. She wants to escape the Empire and leave all this Jedi business behind her. Her axes are caution vs. fear. Often the voice of reason in the group.

4. A wandering Steel Hand Adept. Carries around a book of grudges. His motivation is faith in the Cosmic Force and to understand the Force as others do. His axes are conviction vs. obstinacy. Somewhat spacey but ultimately goodhearted.

5. Another Order 66 survivor. She has the rare ability to use Battle Meditation. Her motivation is to use the Force to help others. Her axes are camaraderie + bravery vs. sorrow + recklessness. Goes around everywhere in a Temple Guard-like outfit.

It's worth noting that the party have already joined up with some ex-Separatists (really just a Munificent, a former general and his ex-Separatist militia, and a bunch of old battle droids). The party is also all alien and the Empire has already sent inquisitors after them.

If you guys need any further info I'll be happy to provide it.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
https://discord.gg/G7P8JQR

That is the new Discord Server link. I had to redo stuff and all the old links are invalid now, so use that one. We've also cleaned it up. As usual, it is FREE TO USE for all goons, feel free to run games there and whatnot, rules are posted and it's easy enough for us to get you off the ground and ready to go.

Cheers.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Looking through the rules even using vehicle scale as 5x instead of 10x it seems like vehicle guns on even light tanks will just chunky salsa everyone; is there a quick fix for that?

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

StashAugustine posted:

Looking through the rules even using vehicle scale as 5x instead of 10x it seems like vehicle guns on even light tanks will just chunky salsa everyone; is there a quick fix for that?

Uh, don't shoot planetary scale weapons at personal scale targets? Any scenario where a planetary scale target is firing a planetary scale weapon onto a personal scale target should be loving super rough, it's very dangerous to try and take out armored vehicles without your own support. Death is the type of thing that is difficult to achieve in-system but there are some speed run options and armored support is one of those ways.

Also make note that planetary scale weapons should use the difference in silhouette to determine difficulty, so unless some book adds a vehicle that fucks with the system, the smallest vehicles I could find using planetary scale weaponry (as opposed to speeder-bikes using personal scale weapons at silhouette 2 in the AoR core book) were at least silhouette 3 so they are rolling three bones of difficulty against silhouette 1 people. A well defend character should be able to add to that defensive die or upgrades and gunnery crews usually wouldn't be throwing too good a dice pool at it.

TaurusTorus
Mar 27, 2010

Grab the bullshit by the horns

StashAugustine posted:

My friends and I had a "direct hit" rule, where you only did x10 on a critical hit, otherwise you did splash damage, which was in personal.

edit: i also have a problem with this

karmicknight posted:

Uh, don't shoot planetary scale weapons at personal scale targets? Any scenario where a planetary scale target is firing a planetary scale weapon onto a personal scale target should be loving super rough, it's very dangerous to try and take out armored vehicles without your own support. Death is the type of thing that is difficult to achieve in-system but there are some speed run options and armored support is one of those ways.

Also make note that planetary scale weapons should use the difference in silhouette to determine difficulty, so unless some book adds a vehicle that fucks with the system, the smallest vehicles I could find using planetary scale weaponry (as opposed to speeder-bikes using personal scale weapons at silhouette 2 in the AoR core book) were at least silhouette 3 so they are rolling three bones of difficulty against silhouette 1 people. A well defend character should be able to add to that defensive die or upgrades and gunnery crews usually wouldn't be throwing too good a dice pool at it.

If you follow this, you can't replicate the battle of endor on foot, or the battle of scarif, since an rpg can't damage a AT-AT

TaurusTorus fucked around with this message at 05:21 on May 11, 2020

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

The house rule I've been using is basically vehicles are x5 but also have soak 5 (so a generic assault rifle won't trivially oneshot a car). And yeah, saying you do the weapon damage as AoE personal damage makes sense

E: this does set up a goofy scenario where on an ATST the best single target attack is the concussion grenade

StashAugustine fucked around with this message at 06:46 on May 11, 2020

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
My current dnd5e DM is thinking of doing a 20 year time skip and having us convert to Fantasy Flight games rules.

Is it really possible to play this system in Faerun?

I'm imagining that we would be traveling to other planes via ships maybe? How important are spaceships or vehicles to everything?

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

RC Cola posted:

My current dnd5e DM is thinking of doing a 20 year time skip and having us convert to Fantasy Flight games rules.

I'm imagining that we would be traveling to other planes via ships maybe? How important are spaceships or vehicles to everything?

Are you sure that he means one of the Fantasy Flight Star Wars systems rather than Genesys, the generic version that can be applied to theoretically anything?

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

BattleMaster posted:

Are you sure that he means one of the Fantasy Flight Star Wars systems rather than Genesys, the generic version that can be applied to theoretically anything?

Specifically after watching The Clone Wars, he wants to use the Age of Rebellion and have us play as a band of soldiers under the banner of the nationstate our old characters had created.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

RC Cola posted:

Specifically after watching The Clone Wars, he wants to use the Age of Rebellion and have us play as a band of soldiers under the banner of the nationstate our old characters had created.

Uhhhh. Thats a pretty strange move I guess. I would push the star wars system for almost any resason but this is pretty bizzarre

There's no magic in the star wars system, the Force is both in terms of mechanics of using force powers and in how a force user advances is entirely different to how d&d magic works so thats a big change.

Vanguard Warden
Apr 5, 2009

I am holding a live frag grenade.

RC Cola posted:

I did a fantasy conversion of FFG Star Wars myself for a campaign once back before Genesys was a thing, but it was a ton of conversion work with lots of eyeballing because there's no real open balance math to reverse engineer or anything. It's totally doable, and it was super fun to run and the players seemed to have a great time, but it's obviously a very different feel to any d20 system like people have said; if you reskin Force abilities and Force rating as magic and magical potency, it turns out a lot more low-power "the magic-focused guy in your party is a peasant with some cool tricks". Plus, trying to keep as many old systems intact as possible meant that enchanted tattoos and animated constructs were suddenly really important and common to replace cybernetics and droids.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

I mean... if he was inspired by Star Wars and wants to use the Star Wars system to run a Star Wars influenced game, maybe if you're down just suggest he put D&D on hiatus and let you glowstick it up?

Darius099
Dec 18, 2005

Ogion went on a halfmile or so, and said at last, 'To hear, one must be silent'.

RC Cola posted:

Yeah I gotta agree with the people above me, pretty bizarre choice.

"Some motherfuckers always trying to ice skate uphill" would seem to apply here, lol

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Doesn't seem like a good idea. If he wants to get a Star Wars fix he should start a new game with the system in the actual Star Wars universe rather than derailing an existing game because of the last TV show he watched.

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Stand down, men! It's only smooching!

Or if he wants to use the system grab the Terrinoth book and convert that since it's already a fantasy setting and you don't have to worry about your xwings becoming pterodactyls or whatever

e: it sounds to me like what your GM really wants aside from the mechanics is to be able to use the Duty system? i feel like that would be way easier to convert into terrinoth than it would be to do faerun in space

Quidthulhu fucked around with this message at 23:25 on May 13, 2020

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

TaurusTorus posted:

My friends and I had a "direct hit" rule, where you only did x10 on a critical hit, otherwise you did splash damage, which was in personal.

edit: i also have a problem with this

If you follow this, you can't replicate the battle of endor on foot, or the battle of scarif, since an rpg can't damage a AT-AT

I think if there's anything we learned from the Battle of Scarif, it's that a handheld launcher can't damage an AT-AT.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

So we are still looking into doing fantasy flight. Between us we have Edge of Empire and Age of Rebellion. Would Genesys Core Rulebook be worth picking up before any other fantasy setting books?

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

If you're trying to rebuild characters from another system, Genesys might be the way to go. Whereas Star Wars uses careers and specializations to determine your character's talents (which may not line up 100% with your existing characters), Genesys uses a pyramidal point-buy system that allows you to take any group of talents you want.

Also, as has been previously mentioned, magic and the Force operate completely differently between the two systems.

RudeCat
Aug 7, 2012

The rudest cat for the rudest jobs

The Terrinoth book is pretty good and introduces a lot more "heroic fantasy" elements, but you more or less need the Genesys book for that as well, if only because it has the majority of the magic system in it.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Hey two questions, one mechanics one story, for AoR. First, I've got a soldier-medic who's playing a Polis Massan basically trying to be a medical Jawa. I'm thinking the next mission is going to be Where Eagles Dare/Guns of Navarrone in a Rakatan Empire dig site; so what's a good gadget I can give him for that? Second; the general plotline I've been working on is that Imperial Intelligence got their hands on a deposit of cortosis and is trying to secretly mine it as a hedge against Vader and other force users while the ISB is sniffing around; and the players are a rebel cell that are working around the mines. Thing is I'm not really sure of a good endgame- whatever Imperial faction knows about it won't let it go. I guess the best option would be some way to blow up the deposit permanently so no one's interested anymore?

Claytor
Dec 5, 2011

StashAugustine posted:

Hey two questions, one mechanics one story, for AoR. First, I've got a soldier-medic who's playing a Polis Massan basically trying to be a medical Jawa. I'm thinking the next mission is going to be Where Eagles Dare/Guns of Navarrone in a Rakatan Empire dig site; so what's a good gadget I can give him for that? Second; the general plotline I've been working on is that Imperial Intelligence got their hands on a deposit of cortosis and is trying to secretly mine it as a hedge against Vader and other force users while the ISB is sniffing around; and the players are a rebel cell that are working around the mines. Thing is I'm not really sure of a good endgame- whatever Imperial faction knows about it won't let it go. I guess the best option would be some way to blow up the deposit permanently so no one's interested anymore?

For a different hook, what about the ISB extorting the players into blowing up the cortosis deposit themselves in order to maintain plausible deniability? Dragging the players into this Imperial struggle adds an additional layer of intrigue and avoids a situation where the players could feel like passive participants in a story between a handful of antagonistic NPCs.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Since the Imperials doing the mining are planning to use it against Vader specifically, there might be an opportunity to have the Empire turn against itself. A few options could be:
  • Vader finds out about the mine, then destroys it out of spite and kills everyone there (giving your Rebels a chance to try to survive the escape).
  • Information about the mine is leaked and the Imperial bureaucracy declares it to be a waste of resources due to a lack of Jedi to use it against. They order all personnel to be transferred to a different mine supplying resources for [insert superweapon].
  • A shady mining guild foreman finds out the Empire isn't following proper sub-contracting protocol and helps the Rebels attack the mine.
  • Unrefined cortosis is extremely hazardous to the touch, and mining often leaves pockets of highly combustible gas. Rather than attacking the mine directly, the rebels could hijack a shipment of top-of-the-line equipment, forcing the Empire to use inferior equipment (possibly provided by a shady mining guild foreman) that malfunctions and triggers a contamination breach or gas explosion.
  • The planet's subjugated inhabitants are being used for slave labor, and have a method of suppressing the hazardous effects of Cortosis, which also eliminates its unique properties. The rebels could use this to make the mine useless without destroying it.

GeauxSteve
Feb 26, 2004
Nubzilla
I posted this in the other thread but I thought I should ask here too

GeauxSteve posted:

Are there any must have books from the RPG series that I should buy aside from the core rulebooks? I've been picking up some of them because they look cool but if any of the specific class books/AP's are good, I'd love some recommendations?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

All of the setting splats are pretty good (Lords of Nal Hutta/Suns of Fortune/Strongholds of Resistance/Nexus of Power etc. etc.). Career-wise it's kinda harder to say because what's interesting for me and useful (Far Horizons, since I love playing Colonist characters and building a colony/base/business) might not be interesting for you.