Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

I think having the name Star Wars on a box attracts people, but a game has to be a good game to keep them interested and buying more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

smug jeebus posted:

Are you referring to Wings of Glory? Because X-wing's dials are vastly superior to the card decks its predecessors used, as well as having actions and ships that actually felt different. The Star Wars name helped but it saying it merely 'tightened things up a bit' is super disingenuous. X-wing isn't even the first pre-painted SW spaceship game, but it's the one that stuck around for almost a decade because the other one was bad and being called Star Wars isn't enough.
Wings of War was the first version, Wings of Glory is the newer post-FFG version. I had the WWII rules which was streamlined slightly more than the WWI one, and included a lot of things like extra arcs that X-wing has. I also had Aeronautica Imperialis which used regular D6 for combat resolution but was pretty much the same otherwise, except with the card maneuvering and multiple shots a turn.

The old Star Wars game was a weird mix of scales, and TBH it wasn't that bad to play but it was a single set game and randomised boosters of minis is bad when you're looking at 20+ a box.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

The minis for that game were also trash. Like 80%+ of the ships were horribly deformed out of the box because of the poo poo plastic/manufacturing they used.

polynominal-c
Jan 18, 2003

banned from Starbucks posted:

I really wish Ares Games had licensed the flight path system for its BSG game. The miniatures for that are great, on par with FFGs, but the movement cards deck is so terrible.

BSG has uhhh...5 different ships total?

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

ASK ME ABOUT HOW SCOTLAND'S PROPOSED TRANS LEGISLATION IS DIVISIVE AS HELL BECAUSE IT IS SO SWEEPING THAT IT COULD BE POTENTIALLY ABUSED AT A TIME WHERE THE LACK OF SAFETY FOR WOMEN HAS BEEN SO GLARING
Was listening to a pod cast interviewing the founder of one if the UK's larger hobby stores the other day and he said Legion is a strong seller.

But did mention that a lot of people buy to paint it. But, I doubt that FFG's beancounters care so long as they keep buying it.

I get the sense that FFG are going through a bit of a bad old days GW phase. They have been successful enough that the businessmen got invested and are now under pressure to keep the sales up and deliver return on investment. But the people pushing this don't fully understand the industry and how the pot can turn sour.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

banned from Starbucks posted:

The minis for that game were also trash. Like 80%+ of the ships were horribly deformed out of the box because of the poo poo plastic/manufacturing they used.
Yeah, the prices weren't worth what you got, since for most people just wanting to play the game spending time mucking about with hot water to unbend them was too much effort. Amusingly the Games Workshop minis for Aeronautica Imperialis were also pretty badly deformed when I got them, but they were expensive Forge World resins...

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

ASK ME ABOUT HOW SCOTLAND'S PROPOSED TRANS LEGISLATION IS DIVISIVE AS HELL BECAUSE IT IS SO SWEEPING THAT IT COULD BE POTENTIALLY ABUSED AT A TIME WHERE THE LACK OF SAFETY FOR WOMEN HAS BEEN SO GLARING

Arquinsiel posted:

but they were expensive Forge World resins...

A premium product for the discerning hobbyist. Prep work is a feature!

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

polynominal-c posted:

BSG has uhhh...5 different ships total?
This is the dumbest thing about their game. I keep seeing their ads on Facebook for the new releases and it's pretty much the same Viper or Cylon fighter over and over. Who thought that was a good idea?

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

I doubt think they have any dreams of replacing X-wing or pumping out multiple ships a year for a decade. They're just going to release stuff from both shows till it runs out and call it a day I'd imagine.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Wowshawk posted:

Lol

I figured the super star destroyer would be the last model, going out with a bang. I doubt they're working on a resistance or FO faction and clone wars doesn't seem really viable either.

I agree with your skepticism about Resistance/FO, but I feel like Republic/Separatists should be entirely doable. There were a few capital ship classes on each side seen in the movies... surely there was some more out in the EU? I mean, hell, half of the existing Armada ships were never seen in any of the movies.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Venators, Acclamators, Peltas, and Arquitens Jedi cruisers for the Republic, at least. No idea about Sep ships.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
In order of size, starting from the biggest, the CIS Navy has the Providence, Recusant, Munificent, Lucrehulk, and Hardcell classes. That's five hulls ranging from 4KM+ to 200M-ish, which is enough to cover the spread.

Wowshawk
Dec 22, 2007
bought with beer
Grimey Drawer
Well, I'm glad that my cynical doomthinking is proven wrong with that reddit thread and Armada isn't on life support (although I'm not happy reading about the corporate culture at ffg, which seems pretty toxic at this point).

I guess they could release a new starter or something with Clone Wars era ships like Legion did, or a fleet box like X-wing. I don't know if the prequels are more popular in that regard than the new movies? I honestly have no idea if the new stuff is doing well or not with the last two movies (mostly because I can't be bothered to keep track of that sort of thing).

Lake Jucas
Feb 20, 2011

WHAT OF OUR BARGAIN?
This may not be public knowledge outside of certain local Armada scenes where playtesters are pulled from, but the current plan is wave nine is going to be card packs and "something else" with the idea the card backs will be useful for folks who will be picking up the new Clone Wars core set coming out shortly thereafter. They're currently working on/finalizing wave 10.

The good news is Armada is pretty healthy in comparison to a lot of their other games. The SSD seemed to spark a lot of interest in the game, and folk who pick it up seem to stick with it and by product at a more regular rate than X-wing. They just need to expand the player base, which the Clone Wars core set is geared to do.

The bad news is they just lost one of the lead developers in the layoffs.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
Apparently Arkham Horror LCG is doing well, which is giving people hope of a Star Wars co-op LCG since the competitive LCG model really screws over people after a few cycles of releases (both existing and new players). Would be interesting to see if that go down that route.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

I went to CanCon last weekend, and at the discounted stock store for one of the major retail sponsors (they had top selling new stuff with 15% discounts in one hall, and stock clearance in another hall) they had plastic bags with Star Wars Destiny in them for $50 dollarydoos, then when I went back again near the end of the final day they still had just under half of them left and they were down to $20

Question: Am I regretting wasting $20, or am I regretting not having enough room in my suitcase to buy another bag?

uncle blog
Nov 18, 2012

It’s one of the greatest games FFG ever made. Those sets (before the white ones) are not that great compared to later ones, but I had a ton of fun with them back in the day.

Ohthehugemanatee
Oct 18, 2005

NTRabbit posted:

Question: Am I regretting wasting $20, or am I regretting not having enough room in my suitcase to buy another bag?

I think you'll be pretty happy. I hate CCGs and never touched Destiny when it was a thing, but I picked up a core set now that everything is on fire sale. It's cool. It feels very unique and manages to feel like a duel (a quadruel?) in a way that many games have tried and failed to do. It just does so much right. Luck can be mitigated, the tempo accelerates perfectly and there are lots of choices to be made each turn.

I wish they had gone for an LCG or a straight up board game instead of the CCG route but it's all basically free now so it doesn't make a difference at this point I guess.

EnjoiThePureTrip
Apr 16, 2011

Ohthehugemanatee posted:

I think you'll be pretty happy. I hate CCGs and never touched Destiny when it was a thing, but I picked up a core set now that everything is on fire sale. It's cool. It feels very unique and manages to feel like a duel (a quadruel?) in a way that many games have tried and failed to do. It just does so much right. Luck can be mitigated, the tempo accelerates perfectly and there are lots of choices to be made each turn.

I wish they had gone for an LCG or a straight up board game instead of the CCG route but it's all basically free now so it doesn't make a difference at this point I guess.

How does Drafting work in Star Wars Destiny? I see there are draft packs, does each person need a draft pack? Or multiple draft packs? Do you also need regular booster packs? Can those booster packs be from any set?

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fa la lanky down dilly, motherfuckers.
Now if only they could have bothered to make Villains way strongers than Heroes.

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

EnjoiThePureTrip posted:

How does Drafting work in Star Wars Destiny? I see there are draft packs, does each person need a draft pack? Or multiple draft packs? Do you also need regular booster packs? Can those booster packs be from any set?

https://images-cdn.fantasyflightgames.com/filer_public/5b/05/5b0514ea-d78b-46c4-a429-72238b263030/swd06_draft_and_sealed_rules.pdf

Each person needs a draft pack and six booster packs. You can use any cards in the draft kit to fill in the gaps of what you draw. You open 3 packs of cards at a time and pass them around for the draft. And you do that two times.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

So should I open the boxes, and all the card packs in the boxes? I've never owned a CCG before

Iron_Chef
Sep 19, 2003
Chef of Iron

NTRabbit posted:

So should I open the boxes, and all the card packs in the boxes? I've never owned a CCG before

If you do want to play draft leave the packs sealed for the "genuine experience", at least first time around. That being said at only 6 boosters per player needed you could probably draft sealed boosters for some time with a couple of boxes. As mentioned each player should have a draft kit.

If you're more interested in constructed open them up hunting for legendaries.

I played Destiny for the first year and I have a draft kit you can probably have; from memory your also in the City of Churches and Cooper's?

Ultiville
Jan 14, 2005

The law protects no one unless it binds everyone, binds no one unless it protects everyone.

Even if you want to draft, you'd likely be better off creating a curated draft experience ("cube") than keeping packs to do it - you'd just run out of packs very quickly while drafting.

Not sure if those boxes would be enough to create that, but if you like the game enough that you want to, I can't imagine you couldn't get more cheap.

But yeah, it's a great game, but I'm not surprised it never took off. It had a strong launch that got marred by supply issues, and so the secondary market kept people out at a critical growth phase. Plus CCGs are just so jealous that if you make one you probably are just writing off every serious Magic player, which is a questionable choice.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

I am in Adelaide, yes, but I don't really know what any of that means. If I don't really have anyone to play with is drafting still a thing? I still haven't opened the boxes yet

I'm looking at the prices of boxes on ebay and wishing I'd bought a another two bags and shipped them to myself now

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 14:10 on Feb 18, 2020

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Some Clone Wars content was announced for Armada!

https://community.fantasyflightgames.com/topic/307241-clone-wars-upgrades/

Come for the Obi Wan and Kraken cards, stay for the moron going full CSI on cards posted by an FFG admin and calling them "fake" and "hastily put together"!

Val Helmethead
Apr 24, 2009

Pittsburgh is stored in the balls.

Icon Of Sin posted:

Some Clone Wars content was announced for Armada!

https://community.fantasyflightgames.com/topic/307241-clone-wars-upgrades/

Come for the Obi Wan and Kraken cards, stay for the moron going full CSI on cards posted by an FFG admin and calling them "fake" and "hastily put together"!

One of the more entertaining trolls to hit the official forums in some time.

Sir DonkeyPunch
Mar 23, 2007

I didn't hear no bell
Where’s the dang ships, that’s what I’m about

Val Helmethead
Apr 24, 2009

Sir DonkeyPunch posted:

Where’s the dang ships, that’s what I’m about

Something OLD is coming.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/FFGames/status/1244661146600308737

All new Fantasy Flight releases are suspended until at least May.

Tiny Chalupa
Feb 14, 2012
If one wanted to get into Star Wars Armada, what's the best course these days?
Looking to build a starting Imperial and competing Rebel faction, assuming they haven't released other factions at this time

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

Tiny Chalupa posted:

If one wanted to get into Star Wars Armada, what's the best course these days?
Looking to build a starting Imperial and competing Rebel faction, assuming they haven't released other factions at this time

I've gotten some killer deals on Ebay. Like entire fleets for less than 40% retail.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Amazon often has a huge discount on the starter box.

GeauxSteve
Feb 26, 2004
Nubzilla
Are there any must have books from the RPG series that I should buy aside from the core rulebooks? I've been picking up some of them because they look cool but if any of the specific class books/AP's are good, I'd love some recommendations?

Napoleon Nelson
Nov 8, 2012

GeauxSteve posted:

Are there any must have books from the RPG series that I should buy aside from the core rulebooks? I've been picking up some of them because they look cool but if any of the specific class books/AP's are good, I'd love some recommendations?

I think a lot of it depends on what you want, but generally I think people generally like the location books (Suns of Fortune, Lords of Nal Hutta, Strongholds of Resistance, Nexus of Power) and the era sourcebooks (Dawn of Rebellion, Rise of the Separatists, Collapse of the Republic). If you just want a compendium of characters/gear/ships, they've released a bunch of those but my understanding is they're sold out most everywhere.

Otherwise, I'd say collect what sounds good to you. All the class books have extra rules that you can apply (e.g. general crafting rules in Special Modifications, shipbuilding in Fully Operational, lightsabers in Endless Vigil) so that might help narrow things down.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Does anyone play Armada these days? My little sister's big into Star Wars and I'm looking at playing a bit on TTS, maybe buying in later

Val Helmethead
Apr 24, 2009

StashAugustine posted:

Does anyone play Armada these days? My little sister's big into Star Wars and I'm looking at playing a bit on TTS, maybe buying in later

What would you like to know? I play on Vassal, not TTS, but either one is a viable option while in person gaming is difficult.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Val Helmethead posted:

What would you like to know? I play on Vassal, not TTS, but either one is a viable option while in person gaming is difficult.

Good starter fleets and tips on introducing it. I played a few games when it came out and periodically check up on it so I sorta know what I'm doing but haven't had a chance to buy in yet. She's in high school and gas experience with boardgames but not minis games, so something small scale would be good. (Bonus points for having Rebels characters involved)

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

This is a really good resource that breaks down each of the ships, and good ways to outfit them and fly them.

http://cannotgetyourshipout.blogspot.com/

In the before times, I would play against these guys regularly, and they know their stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

My group still has Armada, but I haven't seen anyone else playing it lately. You can get ships very cheaply on Ebay sometimes. I found an enormous lot of ships at Goodwill and snapped them up for pennies on the dollar. IMO all you need is the starter set plus some fighter add-ons and you've got enough to have a couple fun games with.