Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ardent Communist
Oct 17, 2010

ALLAH! MU'AMMAR! LIBYA WA BAS!
Solo is actively a bad movie, who basically damaged han solo's character. Instead of a guy who has these mysterious accomplishments and his own enemies, made over the course of a full life, we see that actually he did all the things at once, and his life was somewhat uneventful till that point. They just had to show everything he's famous for, and it ruins it since it makes it seem like it all happened at once

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Promoted Pawn
Jun 8, 2005

oops

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

I guess the upside of all that is that it gave Lord & Miller a whole lot more free time to spend on Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse which they co-produced and Lord co-wrote.

The theoretical “good” version of Solo is a more than acceptable price for getting Spider-Verse instead. That movie is a masterpiece and could probably have a whole subtle moments thread all to itself.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Solo really is the "Last Crusade intro sequence" of Star Wars

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Promoted Pawn posted:

The theoretical “good” version of Solo is a more than acceptable price for getting Spider-Verse instead. That movie is a masterpiece and could probably have a whole subtle moments thread all to itself.

Yeah we've had a bunch of posts about it in this thread and we also went over it with a fine tooth comb in the dedicated CD thread. The film was such a gorgeous labour of love, you could see all the care and thought they put into it in practically every frame.

God drat it I'm still discovering subtle moments in this film I hadn't already noticed nearly a year after it was first released. This youtube video goes over the connections between Miles as a character and The Prowler and links that to an interesting fact about Miles' first meeting with Spider-Man A and the visualisation of their "spidey sense".
(Jump to 1:40 to skip the intro)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v2LEcALlFvY

In case that didn't convince you, note also that the radioactive spider that bites Miles mixes the two colour schemes with its green/purple head and red/blue legs:

(Note the the CD thread is currently a lovely trash fire hijacked by hot takes about how much minority representation in film is enough)

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Ardent Communist posted:

Solo is actively a bad movie, who basically damaged han solo's character. Instead of a guy who has these mysterious accomplishments and his own enemies, made over the course of a full life, we see that actually he did all the things at once, and his life was somewhat uneventful till that point. They just had to show everything he's famous for, and it ruins it since it makes it seem like it all happened at once

But that's the point. Han is a blowhard who brags about the Kessel Run because it's the one achievement of his life. From then until he met Obi-Wan in Mos Eisley he just dicked around a backwater running contraband, and given that he got caught he wasn't particularly good at that. This isn't even extrapolation, it's text. The original shooting script outright said that Han's boast about the Kessel Run was obvious bullshit, so Solo actually added to the eventfulness of his life.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
In The Force Awakens you get that scene where the various crime syndicates all gang up on Solo and it makes painfully clear he's terrible at his job. He wasn't a good smuggler, he wasn't a good father, he wasn't a good husband. Maybe he was a good General, but the Rebels give General titles out like Kentucky gives out Colonel ranks.

(Note the the CD thread is currently a lovely trash fire hijacked by hot takes about how much minority representation in film is enough)

That thread just needs to be closed until 2022. It had a good run.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
I usually never read CD threads once the movie has been out two weeks or more. At that point all that’s left is people who are sticking around for increasingly dumb slap fights.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
I think my favorite star wars subtle movie moment is the realization that R2D2 never got wiped, so there's literally no reason whatsoever he couldn't have just told Luke that Vader was his dad and all the poo poo that happened, plus every plot hook from he has a sister to where his mom is from.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
No idea how to make a joke about it but here's SOLO 1996
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sV-4gWRtNxY

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Years ago there was a SA thread parodying a prequel screenplay where a child Han is training to be a stormtrooper. He gets frustrated and rage quits, leaving with his pet Wookie, and saying he was going 'solo' and that was more entertaining than the official origin story.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
Disney owns the rights to another Solo they should make a movie about. And while he lives, terror dies!

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Krispy Wafer posted:

In The Force Awakens you get that scene where the various crime syndicates all gang up on Solo and it makes painfully clear he's terrible at his job. He wasn't a good smuggler, he wasn't a good father, he wasn't a good husband. Maybe he was a good General, but the Rebels give General titles out like Kentucky gives out Colonel ranks.

Ah man, I just realised what that reveal in TFA reminded me of: when I sat down to watch Ghostbusters 2 for the first time and they revealed that the guys had all been forced to stop busting ghosts and were working lovely dead end jobs now. :smith:

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

MariusLecter posted:

I choose to believe this takes place in the Red Alert universe, and that was General Carville.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Oops. DP.

Arrath has a new favorite as of 23:30 on May 10, 2020

Patattack
Nov 23, 2008

The English Language!

The Ape of Naples posted:

I haven't watched the last Star Wars movie. Maybe this comes up and I know it's not the best place but I'd rather ask here then somewhere else and get inundated with fandom. And I say that as a Star Wars fan. But didn't Anakin build C-3PO? Or was that just a look alike. And if so, at any point was 3PO significant? I know he apparently has some scenes in the last film but do they pertain to anything regarding his construction. I mean, I never liked 3PO. Me in '84 probably had some poor opinions of him that have not aged well. But I would have loved if he had some Force-ness based on who created him. He's just been such a twee character for decades that I would really like for him to Force choke someone by the end. Like in a fit of stress and duress let that dude have something. beyond maybe just having some info in his head which is what I'm assuming was the deal in a movie I aint seen.

Well, they do let C-3PO "have something" in episode 9...if you're curious, I'll put it in a spoiler tag:

A MacGuffin contains directions to the ancient Sith homeworld, but it's written in ancient Sith script that nobody knows how to decipher...except for C-3PO. He's able to understand it, but his programming prohibits him from translating it for our heroes. Because, I guess, the Sith are evil, and he's not supposed to do anything in their service? Something like that.

Anyway, they figure out that if they restore 3PO to factory settings, it'll put him into a sort of debug mode where they'll be able to circumvent that programming and allow him to translate the Sith script. They make a big deal of how it'll wipe all of his memories, and how he's making this huge sacrifice, and he voluntarily goes through with it after making a bit of a dramatic speech.

...And then they play his memory-loss for laughs a handful of times, before eventually having R2-D2 just upload 3PO's memories that were backed up like the day before. So it completely drains the "sacrifice" of all pathos.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
Also, I'm convinced that whole sub-plot existed for the sole purpose of making sure we could show Poe Dameron's Ex Girlfriend Because He's Totally Not Gay You Guys

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

I think my favorite star wars subtle movie moment is the realization that R2D2 never got wiped, so there's literally no reason whatsoever he couldn't have just told Luke that Vader was his dad and all the poo poo that happened, plus every plot hook from he has a sister to where his mom is from.

Yeah but Luke never learned droid so R2 couldn't tell him; if only he'd studied languages like his dad

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ibahqzkwvXk

Also my favourite 'subtle' Solo moment was where Qi’ra kicks a bunch of rear end and then reveals she's adept in the fighting art of Teräs Käsi

me: :mmmhmm: :hmmyes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n4g94y-rl1Q

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av

Memento posted:

Also, I'm convinced that whole sub-plot existed for the sole purpose of making sure we could show Poe Dameron's Ex Girlfriend Because He's Totally Not Gay You Guys

Obviously bi cause he and fin was fuckin

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

MariusLecter posted:

I'm going to watch this movie now

Wish me luck, goons

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

The Ape of Naples posted:

I get that droids can't use the force and I know someone will post the one EU book that was not canon about a jedi droid.

I think there's a short story or just an offhand mention that he first droid Uncle Owen wanted to buy from the Jawas was mildly force sensitive, and knew that R2 had a destiny to fulfill, so deliberately broke down so Uncle Owen would have to get R2.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
The explanation that Jawas are scummy salesmen and tried to sell a lemon is somehow not enough?

Droids can’t be force sensitive because they don’t have midi-chlorians.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Midichlorians are nano machines. Boom, that's easily three movies worth of plot. I prefer my payment in bitcoin, Disney

plainswalker75
Feb 22, 2003

Pigs are smarter than Bears, but they can't ride motorcycles
Hair Elf

DrBouvenstein posted:

I think there's a short story or just an offhand mention that he first droid Uncle Owen wanted to buy from the Jawas was mildly force sensitive, and knew that R2 had a destiny to fulfill, so deliberately broke down so Uncle Owen would have to get R2.

https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/Skippy_the_Jedi_Droid
:shrek:

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Krispy Wafer posted:

The explanation that Jawas are scummy salesmen and tried to sell a lemon is somehow not enough?

Droids can’t be force sensitive because they don’t have midi-chlorians.

Midi-chlorians are not the cause of force-sensitivity, they are simply a byproduct of it. If a droid were force sensitive it would not necessarily be otherwise a habitable home for midi-chlorians.

Slowpoke Rodriguez
Jun 20, 2009

Jedit posted:

Kessel Run

I am still pissed that the kessel run line has been so misunderstood, by everyone. It was a line Han said that showed he was full of poo poo. Because parsecs aren't a measure of distance, but he knows a couple of dumb hicks from tantooine don't know poo poo, and he's trying to impress them. No backstory needed because he is bullshitting them.

Then a series of nerds gently caress it up over and over again because they don't understand unreliable narrators.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

Slowpoke Rodriguez posted:

I am still pissed that the kessel run line has been so misunderstood, by everyone. It was a line Han said that showed he was full of poo poo. Because parsecs aren't a measure of distance, but he knows a couple of dumb hicks from tantooine don't know poo poo, and he's trying to impress them. No backstory needed because he is bullshitting them.
I mean, it was obviously a fuckup rather than being intended that way because otherwise they wouldn't have kept explaining how no, it wasn't a fuckup actually, we meant to do that. Just handwaving it as Han talking poo poo (or even just ignoring it because who gives a thundering gently caress lol) would have been a better solution but you can't say that endlessly relitigating something inconsequential until it becomes a huge bone of contention isn't more true to the spirit of George Lucas :v:

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Slowpoke Rodriguez posted:

I am still pissed that the kessel run line has been so misunderstood, by everyone.

Including Lucas.

Everything cool about Han Solo was an accident, or Harrison Ford’s addition.

Slowpoke Rodriguez
Jun 20, 2009
You are both absolutely right.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Aphrodite posted:

Including Lucas.

Everything cool about Star Wars was an accident, or Harrison Ford’s addition.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

DrBouvenstein posted:

The Star Wars written expanded universe was weird as hell, and they just had people writing whatever the gently caress they thought would be interesting. Little nerd speed reader Rotinaj read every single one of them up until the ones released around the time of Phantom Menace, when all Star Wars got even dumber, which was impressive because it was super dumb back then.

Basically any line from the movies got a shot to be turned into a short story at least. They had an epic drama based around the band in Jabba’s palace. They had a short story centered around the alien frog that ate a smaller animal during the pan across Jabba’s palace. Every one of the bounty hunters in the “no disintegrations” scene got expanded.

Don’t look at Star Wars for subtle movie moments, all the subtlety was either by accident or was from someone other than Lucas.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Biplane posted:

Midichlorians are nano machines. Boom, that's easily three movies worth of plot. I prefer my payment in bitcoin, Disney

i'll make you a deal

this happens, but only if it winds up with snake (any of them) fist fighting against the ghost of obi-wan kenobi (must be the alec guinness version)

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

i'll make you a deal

this happens, but only if it winds up with snake (any of them) fist fighting against the ghost of obi-wan kenobi (must be the alec guinness version)

Force ghosts fighting is basically canon already my friend.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

It's not a movie, per say, but the following screenshot of a scene from the Poochie episode from the Simpsons:

Notice in the background the movie poster. It's not spelled correctly.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.

rotinaj posted:

The Star Wars written expanded universe was weird as hell, and they just had people writing whatever the gently caress they thought would be interesting. Little nerd speed reader Rotinaj read every single one of them up until the ones released around the time of Phantom Menace, when all Star Wars got even dumber, which was impressive because it was super dumb back then.

Same. I've still not seen anything beyond the Force Awakens because I know it means they'll never film the only scene that should be canon after the events of the middle trilogy: Han makes love to Leia on a Wookieskin rug.

E: I believe this was from the future where Han and Leia have twins and Luke restarts the Jedi Academy.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

bony tony posted:

Solo really is the "Last Crusade intro sequence" of Star Wars

I didn't mind the sequence in Last Crusade because it was fun and lighthearted and comical and River Phoenix was perfect. Stretching that sort of idea out into a full movie is asinine.

Ah man, I just realised what that reveal in TFA reminded me of: when I sat down to watch Ghostbusters 2 for the first time and they revealed that the guys had all been forced to stop busting ghosts and were working lovely dead end jobs now. :smith:

Has there ever been a sequel that hit the reset button in order to exist as hard as Ghostbusters II? They can't even come up with an adequate explanation as to why people don't believe in ghosts again after a 100-foot tall marshmallow man hosed up Columbus Circle in Manhattan, not to mention everything that was released when the containment unit was shut down.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

I watched Solo the first time and wasn't really impressed. Then I watched it again and tried to detach it from the known Star Wars universe and enjoyed it.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Samovar posted:

It's not a movie, per say, but the following screenshot of a scene from the Poochie episode from the Simpsons:

Notice in the background the movie poster. It's not spelled correctly.

Also, the nerd sitting next to Doug (Doug is the "Genius at Work nerd,) originally had red hair in Homer Goes to College:

Nitpicking the scene that makes fun of mega-nerd nitpickers...

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
DID YOU KNOW SMITHERS WAS BLACK

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

rotinaj posted:

Basically any line from the movies got a shot to be turned into a short story at least. They had an epic drama based around the band in Jabba’s palace. They had a short story centered around the alien frog that ate a smaller animal during the pan across Jabba’s palace. Every one of the bounty hunters in the “no disintegrations” scene got expanded.

There was a thread on these forums 10+ years ago which went deep into the rabbit hole of all the absurdly specific details for every little extraneous part of the original films which culminated in a parody site where people submitted fictional entries written in the same style and it was just as believable (and also hilarious).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
So what your saying is original Han, who is terrible at his job and bullshits his way through life is exactly the kind of person who would shoot Greedo first.

But 5 minutes after Star Wars was released and Han became the most popular character, Lucas began retroconning the character to be the Jack Ryan of space conflicts, cumulating in the 1997 re-releases.