Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Danknificent
Nov 20, 2015

Jinkies! Looks like we've got a mystery on our hands.
I hate the sneak 'em up genre of horror, but I love Alien, so Alien Isolation is legend for me. What a game.

I wish I'd played it with the unpredictable alien mod. That would have :krad:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Ironically I think I would have preferred to play Alien: Isolation without the Alien. In my experience any encounter with the xenomorph fell into to categories, a non issue or complete shutdown of the area so you had to sit motionless under a desk for 5 min waiting for it to move away from the one path that led to your objectives. All the other enemies felt scarier because you could more easily deal with them but at the cost of resources and bringing more trouble down on yourself.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Cardiovorax posted:

"Lost in a alien world" apparently, going by the Steam page. It worked for Darkseed, which is another Giger flavoured game. Old live-action horror adventure, but it really had the art style down.

That's because H.R. Giger was involved with Darkseed.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Cardiovorax posted:

"Lost in a alien world" apparently, going by the Steam page. It worked for Darkseed, which is another Giger flavoured game. Old live-action horror adventure, but it really had the art style down.

I think they mentioned at some point the main inspiration was actually the artist Zdzislaw Beksinski.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

sigher posted:

That's because H.R. Giger was involved with Darkseed.
I didn't know that, it certainly explains a lot though.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

They purchased Giger’s art and hand scanned which I can’t imagine was a cheap license. Giger did demand they use 640x350 resolution instead of the normal 320x240 which is why the game looked unusually good in 1992 but they were restricted to 16 colors. It was very similar to Japanese computer games which were hi-res in the 80s but worked well with restrictive palettes and advanced dithering techniques.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

That was a really good looking game at the time, I remember being spooked by just the screenshots in my dad's Amiga magazines.

FalconImpala
Oct 21, 2018

Wow, a cow made of butter. My girls would love it. In fact, the first sentence Caroline ever said was "I like butter"
Is there a mechanic you've always wanted to see in a horror game but hasn't really been pulled off yet?

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

FalconImpala posted:

Is there a mechanic you've always wanted to see in a horror game but hasn't really been pulled off yet?

I think the fear of death in "big scary invincible monster chases you" games can create some tense situations but then actually dying kind of breaks the illusion, especially when it's in the same area. So I would challenge more horror games to find something scarier in response to player failure than just restarting from the last checkpoint, or even allowing for the player to die at all.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
A meaningful death mechanic. Make death scary and not the binary of either 'Try again!' or 'hardcore 1984 start over lol'. No, I don't have any idea how you'd do this.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

I don't think death/fear of it has ever been what creeps me out or scares me in a horror game. It's always the atmosphere.

Bloodborne is a game where you die constantly but I was still freaked out when I got bagged by those guys that show up later in the game and tossed into the hidden village because it was so outside the scope of the game/my frame of reference for where I was.

I guess if I had to choose one mechanic it's combat as good as Bloodborne but that's almost an impossible ask since it has the GOAT combat. Or I just wish games were better at setting the proper atmosphere to keep me on edge.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
A grid based inventory game where the monster doesn't steal anything, but they randomly shuffle the locations of your items in said inventory.

The only difficulty setting is if opening the inventory pauses the game or not. But then it turns out there were never any timed puzzles or otherwise time sensitive risks anyways.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

I fell in love with Isolation when I figured out how to weaponize the alien against human enemies by throwing a flash bang in their group and hiding. When the screams were over and the alien had stomped away I carried on my way.

Shame its just too drat long and loses its luster near the end.

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

part of me feels like the way to make death a good threat in horror games is to make it NPC death rather than player death but half the playerbase would still save scum it so it's probably a lost cause

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Irony.or.Death posted:

part of me feels like the way to make death a good threat in horror games is to make it NPC death rather than player death but half the playerbase would still save scum it so it's probably a lost cause

There is a company who's got around this.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Bogart posted:

A meaningful death mechanic. Make death scary and not the binary of either 'Try again!' or 'hardcore 1984 start over lol'. No, I don't have any idea how you'd do this.

You know I think Planescape: Torment falls out that binary though it's hardly a horror game.

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

Groovelord Neato posted:

There is a company who's got around this.

coincidentally they make the best video games, but do not seem to meet most peoples' criteria for horror

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

FalconImpala posted:

Final Destination-flavored Hitman via 3D open world incredible-machine levels

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

FalconImpala posted:

Myst meets It Follows.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

FalconImpala posted:

Procedurally generated spooks and scares

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

F3ar was hilarious.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

SelenicMartian posted:

F3ar was hilarious.

F3AR is a bunch of fun as just the spooks-action shooting gallery that I guess they were trying for, me and a buddy played through it again recently and the co-op stuff was done in some fun ways, the person playing Point Man gets control over the slow-mo toggle and that sorta thing, while whoever's playing Paxton Fettel gets to do ghost possession poo poo and it gels together pretty well.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Groovelord Neato posted:

I don't think death/fear of it has ever been what creeps me out or scares me in a horror game. It's always the atmosphere.

Bloodborne is a game where you die constantly but I was still freaked out when I got bagged by those guys that show up later in the game and tossed into the hidden village because it was so outside the scope of the game/my frame of reference for where I was.

I guess if I had to choose one mechanic it's combat as good as Bloodborne but that's almost an impossible ask since it has the GOAT combat. Or I just wish games were better at setting the proper atmosphere to keep me on edge.

It's a pretty good shock when a game does something you didn't expect it was supposed to. Undertale's bad guys kicking you out of the game comes to mind.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Lord Lambeth posted:

You know I think Planescape: Torment falls out that binary though it's hardly a horror game.
Planescape used player death in a really interesting way. There's actually a semi-secret little location where killing yourself repeatedly is the only way to progress, because the various chambers are one-way, but dying to the lightning traps places you back at the beginning of the area.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Planescape's core idea of "immortal being tormented by himself over countless iterations" would work well combined with Soma's concept of literally copy pasting a snapshot of your consciousness into robot brains.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

I've been thinking about Soma a lot. The most effective parts of the game are when they're dealing with that idea of consciousness being something that can just be plucked from someone, copied into another host, and spun up at whim. This kinda happens to the player at least a couple times throughout the game, even though it's masked through unreliable narrator somewhat, but one of the most horrifying instances of the possibilities this raises is near the end where you need to get a cortex chip. There's a mini puzzle where you have to route power through the different parts of a bot so you can yank it's chip. One of the systems you have to route through is labeled "Comms". If you send power to the comms unit, there's just garbled screaming.

By itself, that was disturbing enough, but it gets even worse. If you look at the table it's on, the bot is clearly plugged in to a power source, but the sensors and motor are all shut off.

In all likelihood it had been sitting there under power, but deaf, dumb, and blind, for some amount of time, until Simon comes along and pulls the chip, which at that point is an act of mercy. From the perspective of that particular consciousness, assuming it's one of the brainscans shoved into a bot by the WAU (and it's very likely it is), they sat down in a chair then everything just disappeared and they were unable to do anything but go insane.

It's almost worse that they point out how those particular units are not very advanced, so it was given just enough intelligence to lose it's mind.

Given the story you collect along the way, this kind of thing has to have happened many, many times, to many different scans. Hell, the original scans had been around for about 100 years at that point, so there were likely many iterations of those that went through similar experiences or worse in the early stages.

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
I am over hide and peek, unless it's Clock Tower or a smaller experience like Monstrum.

Detective Buttfuck
Mar 30, 2011

al-azad posted:

Planescape's core idea of "immortal being tormented by himself over countless iterations" would work well combined with Soma's concept of literally copy pasting a snapshot of your consciousness into robot brains.

Isn't that basically the spiritual sequel to Torment? Tides of Numenera?

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

FalconImpala posted:

A scary monster that follows you if it sees you but once it gets close to you it just sniffs you once and then walks off and the scare chord never pops up again when it's around.

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?

FalconImpala posted:

so, silent hill: shattered memories had a gimmick where the game would subtly change to gently caress with you based on your behavior; it was hyped up as building a sort of "psych profile" to hit you where it hurts, and it even affected the endings

stare at mannequins and sexy posters too long? the game flags you as a pervert. Don't gently caress around examining anything and instead go straight toward the next plot thing? The game flags you as goal oriented and a go-getter. Keep staring at toys and dumb poo poo, etc. It was also influenced by some questionnaires you had to fill out throughout the game, as part of the plot was that you were talking to a therapist

in practice though that's literally all it was: what you focused your camera on the longest, and how you answered questions posed by an in-game psychiatrist, and there was only four "play styles" and corresponding endings. Say you like booze, the game will spawn beer cans instead of soda cans, you look at beer cans, you get the booze ending

It's the *start* of a good idea but it's one of those where, to really see it shine, I think you would have to go butt loving nuts with how much the game is reading into everything you do, not just how your camera is positioned but poo poo like whether or not you're reading item descriptions and how often you walk versus run, and it would take a bit more than four discreet categories (which in shattered memories was basically Good/Horny/Lazy rear end in a top hat/Drunk), something more granular and not just LAZY rear end in a top hat MODE HAS BEEN ACTIVATED, PLEASE ENJOY THE LAZY rear end in a top hat ENDING FOR LAZY ASSHOLES

0 rows returned
Apr 9, 2007

i always disliked that since it feels like youre punished for looking at anything

maybe i just want to read what this extremely blurry texture says? oh no im a bad father

FalconImpala
Oct 21, 2018

Wow, a cow made of butter. My girls would love it. In fact, the first sentence Caroline ever said was "I like butter"
The old melon game Facade had a similar idea. Not necessarily what you pointed the mouse at, but what you interacted with (and when) would subtly change your relationship with the characters. If you try to change the subject sometimes they'll notice and resist it. As well as where you're standing in the room, if you're "siding" with one character or staying distant, who you're making more eye contact with. I don't yet know the interaction with horror, but I think it would be a great mechanic in a VR game.

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?
Final Fantasy VIII kind of played with the idea via the SeeD exam, in retrospect

the game measures your judgement (based on how well you set goals for yourself), how many enemies you kill and in how little time, whether you follow orders, whether you talk to people unnecessarily, and a bunch of small poo poo like whether you hide from a robot and whether or not you manage to save a dog, each a factor in whether or not the game thinks you're a good soldier

there's so many little elements involved that I still re-read that poo poo and go "oh drat I didn't know that had anything to do with it, makes sense tho"

and most of it fits neatly into the dialogue of a normal JRPG instead of like, a fictional therapist asking if you like to drink and/or cheat on your wife

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

Lunatic Sledge posted:

It's the *start* of a good idea

ShatMemz.txt

It was the janky tech demo for a legendary game that will never exist :(

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

My brain always confusedly jumps to William Shatner shouting internet jokes at you when I see the abbreviation for that game. So I guess that's my untapped horror game mechanic.

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Thanks for a MONSTER of an avatar, Awful Survivor Mods!

Captain Hygiene posted:

My brain always confusedly jumps to William Shatner shouting internet jokes at you when I see the abbreviation for that game. So I guess that's my untapped horror game mechanic.

Here. come dat. boi.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Lunatic Sledge posted:

so, silent hill: shattered memories had a gimmick where the game would subtly change to gently caress with you based on your behavior; it was hyped up as building a sort of "psych profile" to hit you where it hurts, and it even affected the endings

stare at mannequins and sexy posters too long? the game flags you as a pervert. Don't gently caress around examining anything and instead go straight toward the next plot thing? The game flags you as goal oriented and a go-getter. Keep staring at toys and dumb poo poo, etc. It was also influenced by some questionnaires you had to fill out throughout the game, as part of the plot was that you were talking to a therapist

in practice though that's literally all it was: what you focused your camera on the longest, and how you answered questions posed by an in-game psychiatrist, and there was only four "play styles" and corresponding endings. Say you like booze, the game will spawn beer cans instead of soda cans, you look at beer cans, you get the booze ending

It's the *start* of a good idea but it's one of those where, to really see it shine, I think you would have to go butt loving nuts with how much the game is reading into everything you do, not just how your camera is positioned but poo poo like whether or not you're reading item descriptions and how often you walk versus run, and it would take a bit more than four discreet categories (which in shattered memories was basically Good/Horny/Lazy rear end in a top hat/Drunk), something more granular and not just LAZY rear end in a top hat MODE HAS BEEN ACTIVATED, PLEASE ENJOY THE LAZY rear end in a top hat ENDING FOR LAZY ASSHOLES

That game also had the fleshy pink enemies change depending on your "obsession," right? Definitely a good idea not taken far enough.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Yeah, they were called like 'rawshocks' and had different standout shapes to their weird hosed up bodies depending on what the game thought your shtick was, which was a cool idea at least.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer

Lunatic Sledge posted:

https://lparchive.org/Blackout/

The classic Danish stop-motion adventure game Blackout, which I Let's Played a few years ago, is based on a similar conceit. You spend the first half of the game exploring a dreamlike Noir city, visiting restaurants, bars, brothels, cinemas, etc., and the preferences you display determine how the rest of the game unfolds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

davidspackage posted:

That game also had the fleshy pink enemies change depending on your "obsession," right? Definitely a good idea not taken far enough.

Yeah i work with a couple of the guys from that studio and one of their regrets is not being able to take that way further than they did. Enemies that drastically change depending on how I play? Yes please, why can't any game get this right?