Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

A Sometimes Food posted:

I mean at events and powers level yeah. On a tonal level...

If you look in his notes, it's pretty obvious Tolkien always intended for Shelob to be portrayed as a goth woman in a cocktail dress

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

But still, she was there, who was there before Sauron, and before the first stone of Barad-dûr; and she served none but herself, drinking the blood of Elves and Men, bloated and grown fat with endless brooding on her feasts, weaving webs of shadow; for all living things were her food, and her vomit darkness.

But dem titties tho. drat.

NObodyNOWHERE
Apr 24, 2007

Now we are all sons of bitches.
Hell Gem
Anyone tried out Wartile? It's got a pretty good discount right now and I'm tempted in spite of some mixed reviews I've seen. It's really gorgeous and I love the look of it, but I'm not sure if it's just niche or if there are real problems there. Any opinions would be appreciated.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

It was like a month ago but thanks to the goons who suggested Wandersong. What a charmingly-stupid game in these miserable times.

Play Wandersong.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

It's not stupid :colbert:

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Morter posted:

If this game glitches out as much as X360 game series Skate does then i'm getting this poo poo asap. :allears:
half of the game is retrieving your bucket because you accidentally put some dirt inside it, rather than in it, catapulting it into the river.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

I sort of liked shelob, she reminded me of yen from w3

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Wait, they where serious? Where the gently caress did somone make Shelob a chick?

edit: Oh my god I just googled that, that's so loving bad and insipid and uninspired and pointless. loving why?

Serephina fucked around with this message at 04:27 on May 11, 2020

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Serephina posted:

Wait, they where serious? Where the gently caress did somone make Shelob a chick?

edit: Oh my god I just googled that, that's so loving bad and insipid and uninspired and pointless. loving why?

Spider baps, spider baps

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
Remember Shelob from Middle Earth? This is her now.

Feel old yet?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

kirbysuperstar posted:

Spider baps, spider baps

Meet those sales goals with spider faps

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Mad about canonical inaccuracy itt

I think the devs argued she was a spirit in the form of a spider rather than an actual spider, and wanted to have some kind of dark mirror with galadriel, which is, eh, fine.

I'm just glad she wasn't in a thong and spider pattern nipple pasties, tbqh

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Wanna bang that spider

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

u no she's a spider cuz u wanna smash her on ur desk :mmmhmm:

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
I'd like to take that spider out to a nice steak dinner and go for a walk on the beach with her.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

not as old as shelob

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos

Boba Pearl fucked around with this message at 04:56 on May 11, 2020

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY

Hogama posted:

Remember Shelob from Middle Earth? This is her now.

Feel old yet?

She's barefoot :haw:

Only has 2 feet :saddowns:

Call Your Grandma
Jan 17, 2010

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Wanna bang that spider

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

Mierenneuker posted:

You could give that question a try in the Early FPS thread in the Retro Games sub-forum.

Thanks! That's what I'll do.

In other news I'm late to the party but addicted to Into the breach. Such simplicity, yet so much variety. I love how you can do a playthrough in two hours or so once you get the hang of it. When I'm home a usually play it a little while, when I'm at work I look at YouTube perfect runs. :haw:

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003
Anyone got opinions on Juicy Realm? It looks in the vein of Nuclear Throne/Gungeon and looks quite pretty.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Petition to add "They made Shelob into a goth woman!?" to the Steam Cycle

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Shelob is my big titty goth gf

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

The game developer fixation on sexy spider ladies happens far too often to be a coincidence.

Superanos
Nov 13, 2009

Humble Bundle's support page has a system requirements page for Humble Indie Bundle 21 which leaks the games or at least some of them.

Coming soon to a humble bundle:
- Beat Cop
- Dustforce DX
- Gato Roboto
- Hotline Miami
- Hyper Light Drifter
- Hypnospace Outlaw
- Moonlighter
- Starbound

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
It does have precedent, at least. There's that vampire lady who could turn into a giant bat.

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...
That's a good potential bundle

Trickyblackjack
Feb 13, 2012
Because of this thread, I went into Shadow of War expecting MGSV levels of male gaze and what I got was that they replaced the spider with a female character. But I do understand people being shocked at seeing a woman in Lord of the Rings.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Wamdoodle posted:

Petition to add "They made Shelob into a goth woman!?" to the Steam Cycle

Someone post the SteamCycle.png from 10 years ago. I want to see how many of those topics are relevant today.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Trickyblackjack posted:

Because of this thread, I went into Shadow of War expecting MGSV levels of male gaze and what I got was that they replaced the spider with a female character. But I do understand people being shocked at seeing a woman in Lord of the Rings.
it's really just because it sticks out so much as a decision that didn't have to be made.

Trickyblackjack
Feb 13, 2012
I wonder how some people reacted when they saw that one of the soldiers is black

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
These days being what they are and considering the way the books go on about "swarthy Haradrim," I'm just glad you aren't killing a bunch of Arab-looking people instead of humorously evil orcs.

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

Kennel posted:

Someone post the SteamCycle.png from 10 years ago. I want to see how many of those topics are relevant today.

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007

Cardiovorax posted:

These days being what they are and considering the way the books go on about "swarthy Haradrim," I'm just glad you aren't killing a bunch of Arab-looking people instead of humorously evil orcs.
Also known as the Lone Wolf way of describing anyone who has a skin colour other than lily white.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Sylphosaurus posted:

Also known as the Lone Wolf way of describing anyone who has a skin colour other than lily white.
Hah, yeah. Man it has been a long time since I read those books. They used swarthy in basically the same way Tolkien does, though: they're weird and strange and we're vaguely scared of them because we know barely anything about them.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Holy crap, Hitman 2 is 170 gigs!

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Cardiovorax posted:

A quick Ctrl-F on my ebook shows me the word swarthy shows up only once to refer to the Haradrim, exactly as many times as it is used to describe a group of Gondorians. Here's the relevant passage.

Tolkein posted:

But the noise grew closer. 'They are coming!' cried Damrod. 'See! Some of the Southrons have broken from the trap and are flying from the road. There they go! Our men after them, and the Captain leading.'

Sam, eager to see more, went now and joined the guards. He scrambled a little way up into one of the larger of the bay-trees. For a moment he caught a glimpse of swarthy men in red running down the slope some way off with green-clad warriors leaping after them, hewing them down as they fled. Arrows were thick in the air. Then suddenly straight over the rim of their sheltering bank, a man fell, crashing through the slender trees, nearly on top of them. He came to rest in the fern a few feet away, face downward, green arrow-feathers sticking from his neck below a golden collar. His scarlet robes were tattered, his corslet of overlapping brazen plates was rent and hewn, his black plaits of hair braided with gold were drenched with blood. His brown hand still clutched the hilt of a broken sword.

It was Sam's first view of a battle of Men against Men, and he did not like it much. He was glad that he could not see the dead face. He wondered what the man's name was and where he came from; and if he was really evil of heart, or what lies or threats had led him on the long march from his home; and if he would not really rather have stayed there in peace.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
hosed up that bulletstorm has no jump button

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Mzbundifund posted:

A quick Ctrl-F on my ebook shows me the word swarthy shows up only once to refer to the Haradrim, exactly as many times as it is used to describe a group of Gondorians.
The precide word choice doesn't really matter a lot compared to the fact that they are vaguely brown-skinned evil people from the south (who even wear turbans in the movies) and if you go even farther south, you get eviler half-troll people who are black-skinned.

I love the Lord of the Rings books dearly, but I can't pretend that Tolkien didn't make some questionable decisions at times. At least he was aware of it and regretted some of them later in life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

https://twitter.com/Kerry_Dyer/status/1259808832131411968