Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

That’s not a D40. It’s a die meant for tracking life totals in MtG. It has adjacent sequential numbers (the Spindown gimmick) to aide in doing that but it also means it’s unsuitable for random rolls (it can be easily manipulated.)

Even in MtG you don’t use Spindown dice for random numbers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Arivia posted:

That’s not a D40. It’s a die meant for tracking life totals in MtG. It has adjacent sequential numbers (the Spindown gimmick) to aide in doing that but it also means it’s unsuitable for random rolls (it can be easily manipulated.)

Even in MtG you don’t use Spindown dice for random numbers.

My information is a lot out of date, but using a spindown die for anything requiring randomisation actually used to be prohibited in tournament rules.

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*

Infinitum posted:

Weighted die.

Literally just die that weigh 100kg so you destroy your table trying to throw them

The second Kickstarter is for special reinforced gaming tables.

Bodanarko
May 29, 2009

Infinitum posted:

Weighted die.

Literally just die that weigh 100kg so you destroy your table trying to throw them

You joke, but Wyrmwood’s dice Kickstarter currently includes a $1500 titanium d20 that 12 people have backed

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

Explosive die, so you can die while you dice

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Haystack posted:

Explosive die, so you can die while you dice

a new bit of realism for those shadowrun chunky salsa rules!

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Subscription based die.

A new die-pod is mailed to you each week, but you must activate it with our proprietary die-birther.

If your sub runs out all your dice will brick.
Also if you use a un-authorised die-birther you won't get the full amount of die out of the pod.

Artisinal hand crafted die direct from locally sourced 3D printers.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

I mean in fairness this is explicitly just a roll down life counter for a format of Magic where you start with 40 life.

It's overly expensive and ugly but does have a stated purpose it is fulfilling.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Infinitum posted:

Subscription based die.

A new die-pod is mailed to you each week, but you must activate it with our proprietary die-birther.

If your sub runs out all your dice will brick.
Also if you use a un-authorised die-birther you won't get the full amount of die out of the pod.

Artisinal hand crafted die direct from locally sourced 3D printers.
I have $10,000,000 investment capital for 10% ownership in your subscription-based dice with quality control RFID chips to test authenticity. could you add bluetooth? thanks.

GimpInBlack
Sep 27, 2012

That's right, kids, take lots of drugs, leave the universe behind, and pilot Enlightenment Voltron out into the cosmos to meet Alien Jesus.
Loot dice. Free-to-play d20s never roll better than an 11 (the EULA requires you to certify that you will only use the die in roll-high scenarios, otherwise you permanently forfeit all rights and privileges and the die delivers a mild electric shock when you touch it). But if you buy a bronze loot die for $2.95 ($27.00 for a pack of 10), you unlock one roll that can go up to 13. A silver loot die ($4.95, $45.00 for a pack of 10) can roll up to a 16. Gold loot dice ($9.95, $80 for a pack of 10) can roll up to 19. Or you can buy an elite platinum loot die ($14.95, 10 for $99.95--best value!) and unlock a chance to crit.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

dwarf74 posted:

I have $10,000,000 investment capital for 10% ownership in your subscription-based dice with quality control RFID chips to test authenticity. could you add bluetooth? thanks.

Oh no, forget that! All my dice are locally sourced, crafted using the same methods and materials they used in the 1980s! In my day, you got your dice from the seedy bookstore in the strip mall that was half-a-storefront next to the storefront-and-a-half video store!

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

Preview page for Monster Care Squad is up!
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/sandypuggames/monster-care-squad

Nemesis Of Moles fucked around with this message at 15:39 on May 11, 2020

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
That art is super good and I dig the concept, but "Monster Care Squad" feels like a placeholder project name and stands out not in a good way. :v:

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

Lemon-Lime posted:

That art is super good and I dig the concept, but "Monster Care Squad" feels like a placeholder project name and stands out not in a good way. :v:

I have to agree that it’s the weakest part of an extremely good pitch. I’ll be backing either way, I think, but some alternate name that feels a bit more setting-ish would be cool? Then again, I know nothing about what TTRPG titles actually get people interested.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

Honestly I did kick around a bunch of other ideas with the team but every other name sounded alienating or generic-fantasy-jargon and I hate that a lot, I'm p happy with the name rn. It tells you what it is without needing to be explained or a bunch of in-universe context. You're a squad that cares for monsters!

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Mostly medically right? Like you’re specifically curing more than generic monster raising, which is what ‘care’ makes me think of.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

The most immediate stuff you do is healing them from magically inflicted wounds yeah, but there is an element of monster "raising" and care in a more general sense. Mostly it's Care as in "look after".

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

I’m all in regardless, especially since it’ll give me a good base t use for a sci fi variant, sine I’ve always wanted a Sector General game.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Final Girl is a solo board game from the folks who did Hostage Negotiator (and uses a modification of the same base mechanics). You play the main character of a slasher flick, trying to rescue victims before they get offed and prepping for the big final confrontation. There are currently four scenarios, each with a killer and map, but you can mix-and-match the slashers with the locations.

The game itself works off a card-management deckbuilding-like system. You don't have a deck, just a hand of cards to play. When you buy cards they go to your hand, but when you play them, they don't return to the market until the second turn after they're played. You can also play cards to mitigate a bad die roll, so it becomes important to know what cards you have available and when they're going to come up again.

I've watched a few playthroughs and it looks pretty fun. I like how you can put any killer with any map, plus each killer has multiple powers and "endgame" abilities so they don't always play the same way.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5RpXdVXclxA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZXMyhEmQmj8

Mr.Misfit
Jan 10, 2013

The time for
SkellyBones
has come!

GimpInBlack posted:

Loot dice. Free-to-play d20s never roll better than an 11 (the EULA requires you to certify that you will only use the die in roll-high scenarios, otherwise you permanently forfeit all rights and privileges and the die delivers a mild electric shock when you touch it). But if you buy a bronze loot die for $2.95 ($27.00 for a pack of 10), you unlock one roll that can go up to 13. A silver loot die ($4.95, $45.00 for a pack of 10) can roll up to a 16. Gold loot dice ($9.95, $80 for a pack of 10) can roll up to 19. Or you can buy an elite platinum loot die ($14.95, 10 for $99.95--best value!) and unlock a chance to crit.

Sounds like something Gary Jackson of Knights-Of-The-Dinner-Table would think of. *shiver*

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Joe Slowboat posted:

Mostly medically right? Like you’re specifically curing more than generic monster raising, which is what ‘care’ makes me think of.

Monster Aid Squad ?

Ceebees
Nov 2, 2011

I'm intentionally being as verbose as possible in negotiations for my own amusement.

mllaneza posted:

Monster Aid Squad ?

Monster park rangers
Monster conservation agency
Monsterbiologists

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

Evil Mastermind posted:

Final Girl is a solo board game from the folks who did Hostage Negotiator (and uses a modification of the same base mechanics). You play the main character of a slasher flick, trying to rescue victims before they get offed and prepping for the big final confrontation. There are currently four scenarios, each with a killer and map, but you can mix-and-match the slashers with the locations.

The game itself works off a card-management deckbuilding-like system. You don't have a deck, just a hand of cards to play. When you buy cards they go to your hand, but when you play them, they don't return to the market until the second turn after they're played. You can also play cards to mitigate a bad die roll, so it becomes important to know what cards you have available and when they're going to come up again.

I've watched a few playthroughs and it looks pretty fun. I like how you can put any killer with any map, plus each killer has multiple powers and "endgame" abilities so they don't always play the same way.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5RpXdVXclxA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZXMyhEmQmj8

This looks neat, I'm a sucker for deck builders rn and this sounds like a good twist on the mechanic.

Ceebees posted:

Monster park rangers
Monster conservation agency
Monsterbiologists

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wCE094a4DUc

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

Honestly I did kick around a bunch of other ideas with the team but every other name sounded alienating or generic-fantasy-jargon and I hate that a lot, I'm p happy with the name rn. It tells you what it is without needing to be explained or a bunch of in-universe context. You're a squad that cares for monsters!

The use of "squad" is what makes it sound like a fake title to me. Just plain "Monster Carers" would sound better, IMO, but it doesn't really matter in the end.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Or something like “Guild” would make it sound more fantasy-ish, too.

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.
Monster Medics?

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Yeah, thinking on it, 'squad' sounds much more tactical and modern, and has a little friction with the subtitle being 'legends.'

IDK, Monster Care Saga? That sounds cute to me.

Bistromatic
Oct 3, 2004

And turn the inner eye
To see its path...
Dragon Doctors :v:

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

new $500 tier option: rename the game to whatever you want

Sandy Pug Games is proud to present Gamey McGameFace: Games of Game-Gamura

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

PET HOSPITAL GAIDEN: Legends of Al-Amura
Marche Was Right: Legally Distinct from Ivalice
Cute White Mages Cure Monsters: The Gamebook of the Film

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

CMA: Certified Monster Aide

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

Joe Slowboat posted:

PET HOSPITAL GAIDEN: Legends of Al-Amura

This is the best name so far, for this game and all other things that have names.

BinaryDoubts
Jun 6, 2013

Looking at it now, it really is disgusting. The flesh is transparent. From the start, I had no idea if it would even make a clapping sound. So I diligently reproduced everything about human hands, the bones, joints, and muscles, and then made them slap each other pretty hard.
Even Kaiju Care Squad sounds better to me because of the nice quasi alliteration on the first two words.

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

I mean, I had a tier for Pigsmoke which let people get themselves custom copies made including custom titles.

It was a giant pain in the arse.

Auralsaurus Flex
Aug 3, 2012
Echoing the title dissonance. Everything I've heard about the game brings zoology to mind, so how about some sort of term pertaining to the study and care of monsters?

Monstrozoology Corps
Terazoologist Cadre
Monstrologists Order

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Name looks fine. A lot of these pitches look like they took a few trips through Google translate.

Honestly the thing that surprises me is just that no one threw out "medic". Like just Monster Medics. Alliterative, punchy, gets the point across. Even then I prefer the original because Monster Care Squad sounds personal and chummy, like a Nick Jr. show about child dragon veterinarians or something. Maybe Pendleton Ward was involved.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

theironjef posted:

Honestly the thing that surprises me is just that no one threw out "medic". Like just Monster Medics. Alliterative, punchy, gets the point across. Even then I prefer the original because Monster Care Squad sounds personal and chummy, like a Nick Jr. show about child dragon veterinarians or something. Maybe Pendleton Ward was involved.

armorer posted:

Monster Medics?

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Hah I am chagrined. Good thing I still prefer the original pitch.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Folks I'm not sure we've browbeaten Nemesis of Moles enough about their inexcusably terrible title enough. We're not done until they yank the campaign and publicly apologize.

In the meantime I'm burning my copy of Orc Stabr in protest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler
The value my Orc Stabr copy just went up.