Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bornbytheriver
Apr 23, 2010

Please tell me that omnishambles is now listed in the OED

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
Just read this whole thread and yikes it really does highlight a lot of stuff:

https://twitter.com/imajsaclaimant/status/1259628794970886144

Rustybear
Nov 16, 2006
what the thunder said

That article is astonishing, need to digest the numbers but if it's accurate it's a hell of an argument.

Labour's current proposed rent deferment is such depressingly woolly politics. When challenged on why not a outright waiver, they've cited that it could make the government liable for the missed rent payments under ECHR.

1. That's far from settled legally;
2. going to court to defend renters from landlords seems like exactly the sort of thing a labour government should be doing.

Even if the government is found to be liable to pay the waived rent, surely that's preferable to poor people being made homeless or starving? Even if they're not liable it might be a good idea--however unpalatable--to do it anyway to mitigate the economic fallout of a bunch of parasites going bankrupt simultaneously.

The only possible framework in which it makes sense is if not increasing government debt trumps vulnerable people's basic need for food and shelter. How the gently caress can you think that and call yourself a Labour MP.

Even if you view it purely thought the lens of political communication, rather than as an actual policy, it's basically just signalling that landlords we've got your back, renters gently caress off. Maddening.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Sweet jesus Starmer's questions are soporific, just endless tedious references to page numbers and statements that are gliding off my brain like an ice rink.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
finally some real opposition

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

I'd like to know where this guy is living such that a mortgage costs £1300 a year, so I can live there. Especially if it's on a different planet, as it appears to be.

bornbytheriver
Apr 23, 2010

MonkeyLibFront posted:

I for one welcome our new robot dog overlords.

Robot dog enforces social distancing.

Fahrenheit 451 posted:

The mechanical Hound slept but did not sleep, lived but did not live in its gently humming, gently vibrating, softly illuminated kennel back in a dark corner of the fire house. The dim light of one in the morning, the moonlight from the open sky framed through the great window, touched here and there on the brass and copper and the steel of the faintly trembling beast. Light flickered on bits of ruby glass and on sensitive capillary hairs in the nylon-brushed nostrils of the creature that quivered gently, its eight legs spidered under it on rubber padded paws.

Nights when things got dull, which was every night, the men slid down the brass poles, and set the ticking combinations of the olfactory system of the hound and let loose rats in the fire house areaway. Three seconds later the game was done, the rat caught half across the areaway, gripped in gentle paws while a four-inch hollow steel needle plunged down from the proboscis of the hound to inject massive jolts of morphine or procaine.

Crankit
Feb 7, 2011

HE WATCHES

Jedit posted:

I'd like to know where this guy is living such that a mortgage costs £1300 a year, so I can live there. Especially if it's on a different planet, as it appears to be.

The cost of the mortgage might be offset by the rent received

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

VideoGames posted:

Just read this whole thread and yikes it really does highlight a lot of stuff:

https://twitter.com/imajsaclaimant/status/1259628794970886144

The best thing about this is how many little things fall in the memory hole because there's only so much I can be shocked by at once. I almost forgot about operation last gasp.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Jedit posted:

That's how much an interest only mortgage would cost if you could borrow at the same rate as a bond issuing state.

You can't, but the state can, so the argument is that it should.

5.52m private rented homes x £230k average house price (in reality exciting rental opportunities are probably worth less than that, but that's the value the argument uses), gives £1,269.6b, current 30 year bond rates are 0.55%, so that gives a rough annual servicing cost of ~£7b, which over 5.52m properties is about £1,265 each.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Jakabite posted:

You're only going indoors once every ten days!? Christ man you're meant to be inside most of the time!

I now live in a tree, the rent is cheaper, even if my new landlord (magpie) can be a bit of a dick sometimes (cawing in or near ear, bites my hair)

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Barry Foster posted:

I now live in a tree, the rent is cheaper, even if my new landlord (magpie) can be a bit of a dick sometimes (cawing in or near ear, bites my hair)

proper dick imo

though maybe try not to ruffle his feathers so much

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

Crossposting from Simpsons meme thread

https://twitter.com/JonnyGabriel/status/1259553576646594560?s=20

Rustybear
Nov 16, 2006
what the thunder said

Guavanaut posted:

That's how much an interest only mortgage would cost if you could borrow at the same rate as a bond issuing state.

5.52m private rented homes x £230k average house price (in reality exciting rental opportunities are probably worth less than that, but that's the value the argument uses), gives £1,269.6b, current 30 year bond rates are 0.55%, so that gives a rough annual servicing cost of ~£7b, which over 5.52m properties is about £1,265 each.

It's all predicated on yields being super low, the break even point is 0.7%.

There probably isn't demand for 1.3 trillion quids worth in one go, which would drive yields up; that said, yields are rock bottom for a reason, and the last round of funding for the furlough (which was approx 10% of the sum estimated here) actually drove yields lower.

What it does highlight is how cheap government debt is right now. A quick back of the fag-packet say if you tried to run the same argument this time last year your £7B annual cost would have been £19B and ten years ago it would have been £55B.

Rustybear fucked around with this message at 16:33 on May 11, 2020

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Guavanaut posted:

This is a level beyond forensic. I call it fivensic.

THIS ISN'T EVEN MY FINAL FORENSIC!

midori-a-gogo
Feb 26, 2006

feeling a bit green

bornbytheriver posted:

Please tell me that omnishambles is now listed in the OED

very much so

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

Guavanaut posted:

What are the predicted knock on effects, i guess first of all on house prices, if the government buys every privately rented home in the uk at once?

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
Just scrolling through the BBC parliament live tv feed and literally the first question I came across was:

Fay Jones, con, brecon and radnorshire posted:

I am grateful that the prime minister is working closely with the Welsh government to design a four nations approach to ending the coronavirus lockdown*, this is so important for my constituents in brecon and radnorshire who share a border with England; but will he agree with me that while the R number continues to vary across the country, restrictions in Wales remain the same and changes that he announced last night are not a green light for tourism or for people to travel to their second homes in Wales?

the haunted haystack posted:

Absolutely Mr Speaker, and er you see I'm I'm grateful, this is why it's so important that we should try and get as much er as much clarity as possible, and I hope that the house does understand that when you're making changes o-of this complexity, the messaging i-is is crucial but it is also difficult, and she's completely right, er we don't want to see people, let me repeat, we don't want to see people travelling, er, to, er, another home for a for a holiday or to a second home, that is not what this is about, this is about allowing people, er the pleasure and the exercise of going to places, er, to parks, to places ofer to national parks, to places of outstanding er beauty and er and taking advantage of the open air
so that clears that up?

*lol

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

XMNN posted:

Just scrolling through the BBC parliament live tv feed and literally the first question I came across was:

so that clears that up?

*lol

It's not even true. Boris has done the opposite to working closely with devolved governments.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

This is awesome but it does mean that landlords get away with selling their properties for a tidy sum, necks intact, which I'm not sure I'm comfortable with.

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

Take back control
Get brexit done

Both really good slogans

Stay alert

Utter shite, resonates with nobody

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

This is awesome but it does mean that landlords get away with selling their properties for a tidy sum, necks intact, which I'm not sure I'm comfortable with.

As long as they're off the plane it doesn't matter if we give them a parachute or a bullet. The burden is gone.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

NotJustANumber99 posted:

What are the predicted knock on effects, i guess first of all on house prices, if the government buys every privately rented home in the uk at once?
The state guaranteeing the current high prices of properties would probably have more of a stabilizing effect on house prices than the free market alternative, which is sooner or later the bubble pops.

That does create a perverse incentive for the state to keep house prices high though, as it'd look bad to have spent 1.3 trillion on something that's now worth a quarter of that, but it would allow gently taking the heat off the market over the course of a few decades, which is something you can't normally do.

Rustybear
Nov 16, 2006
what the thunder said

NotJustANumber99 posted:

The housing market isn't homogeneous so you cant make sweeping UK-wide statements but... quick guess would be it would initially drive house prices up as the gov is buying at any price. Long term it would reduce prices as easy access to equitable social housing reduces the demand from new buyers.

Even in that overly broad generalization there are a lot of qualifiers tho.

Edit: the first part is assuming there isn't some sort of compulsory purchase order which could make more sense but might be more of a legal challenge in that I imagine landlords would want to be additionally compensated for loss of future profits or some shite.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

sassassin posted:

As long as they're off the plane it doesn't matter if we give them a parachute or a bullet. The burden is gone.

They might re-offend though. Letting them live sends the wrong message.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Rustybear posted:

The housing market isn't homogeneous so you cant make sweeping UK-wide statements but... quick guess would be it would initially drive house prices up as the gov is buying at any price. Long term it would reduce prices as easy access to equitable social housing reduces the demand from new buyers.

Even in that overly broad generalization there are a lot of qualifiers tho.

Edit: the first part is assuming there isn't some sort of compulsory purchase order which could make more sense but might be more of a legal challenge in that I imagine landlords would want to be additionally compensated for loss of future profits or some shite.

Wouldn't need to buy at any price, they would just need to follow the rules for any compulsory purchase. Because they are not the recidences of the owners no premium there.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

They might re-offend though. Letting them live sends the wrong message.

I guess if you've bought every private rental property in the country you've kind of made private rentals against the law? So they won't be reoffending.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

forkboy84 posted:

It's not even true. Boris has done the opposite to working closely with devolved governments.
yep, but I'm pretty sure a bit of counter factual brown nosing is probably a requirement for tory mps asking boris a question

If anyone else is confused by his rambling incoherent answer, which actually makes it even less clear whether the prohibition applies to tourism in Wales in general or just to travelling to a holiday home, according to that 50 page document it's tourism in general

quote:

When travelling to outdoor spaces, it is important that people respect the rules in Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland and do not travel to different parts of the UK where it would be inconsistent with guidance or regulations issued by the relevant devolved administration.
(emphasis there's)

You'd think given that "it's so important that we should try and get as much er as much clarity as possible, and I hope that the house does understand that when you're making changes o-of this complexity, the messaging i-is is crucial but it is also difficult", he'd want to perhaps send a clear message that you should respect the advice of the individual national governments, and perhaps emphasise that as things stand that means that you can't got to Wales.

I'm amazed by how lovely a public speaker he is, is it part of his shambling act? I'm not sure how it helps, when if he wasn't quite so stumbling he could get all his flowery words and half-baked classics references in and I don't think it would harm his carefully cultivated day-drinking public school boy image too much?

e: maybe it's a genuine stutter? I'll feel bad if I'm mocking him for an actual speech impediment rather than being an utterly worthless human being

XMNN fucked around with this message at 17:38 on May 11, 2020

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

XMNN posted:

yep, but I'm pretty sure a bit of counter factual brown nosing is probably a requirement for tory mps asking boris a question

If anyone else is confused by his rambling incoherent answer, which actually makes it even less clear whether the prohibition applies to tourism in Wales in general or just to travelling to a holiday home, according to that 50 page document it's tourism in general
(emphasis there's)

You'd think given that "it's so important that we should try and get as much er as much clarity as possible, and I hope that the house does understand that when you're making changes o-of this complexity, the messaging i-is is crucial but it is also difficult", he'd want to perhaps send a clear message that you should respect the advice of the individual national governments, and perhaps emphasise that as things stand that means that you can't got to Wales.

I'm amazed by how lovely a public speaker he is, is it part of his shambling act? I'm not sure how it helps, when if he wasn't quite so stumbling he could get all his flowery words and half-baked classics references in and I don't think it would harm his carefully cultivated day-drinking public school boy image too much?

e: maybe it's a genuine stutter? I'll feel bad if I'm mocking him for an actual speech impediment rather than being an utterly worthless human being

Put on an act long enough and it becomes genuine.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Rustybear posted:

*points at all the houses* nationalised. :ussr:

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/TheSinanKose/status/1259854889234190337

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

I assume everyone has seen this.

https://twitter.com/OwenJones84/status/1259804332834332672?s=19

Impressive explosion of FIGHTING SPIRIT by Piers Morgan. Also it's being liked by Owen Jones and Comedian Sarah Silverman?

Wow.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
possibly Boris Johnsons worst crime is making me agree with piers Morgan

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
oh hey i'm a dr now apparently lol, they let anyone into academia these days i tells ya

seriously though, viva passed with minor corrections - feeling pretty drat great!

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Congrats :toot:

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

ThomasPaine posted:

oh hey i'm a dr now apparently lol, they let anyone into academia these days i tells ya

seriously though, viva passed with minor corrections - feeling pretty drat great!

Congrats!

A mate of mine also passed his viva today - are you him? Do you live in Cardiff? Was it on synthetic vectors?

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Well done! Did you already get your welcome pack explaining the guidelines for effectively perpetuating the Globe Earth and Evolution bullshit to the normie plebs? It might take a week or two for your first payout from Big Pharma to come through FYI

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

ThomasPaine posted:

Congrats! Welcome to the club. You are now allowed to share "the look" with other phds when you meet in social situations.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

gently caress yes, great to see, long overdue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
honoring the front line heroes by giving them a free last will and testament

https://twitter.com/bumpfn/status/1259894865053319168

lmao