Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Oh my god you can do Whack-a-box as frog Cloud. The frog triangle attack is actually really good at getting through the big 1500 blocks. Everything else about the moveset is godawful for the minigame though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
I'm about 98% through this game and I have to say, I'm baffled by people who compare it to Kingdom Hearts.

I mean there are some things that are pretty clearly shared traits but I imagine that's just what happens when you have Nomura at the helm/near the helm of an action game. In terms of narrative, though, Kingdom Hearts is what happens when you take a basic childrens story and then try to add complexity to it without adding any depth. FF7, both versions, are good old pulpy fun that can get a little melodramatically prosaic at their worst moments, but still manage to not quite be as heads-in-the-clouds-y as a lot of (most?) JRPGs.

I really liked the Shinra Building tour section. The thing it reminded me most of was Disney theme parks, but then I had the thought there might actually be corporate offices engaged with this level of fart-sniffery, and it made me want to blow up a power plant

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
People who complain about it "going too much Kingdom Hearts" have literally no understanding of what makes Final Fantasy games Final Fantasy.

Like you don't need to go to KH to find Time Travel, Dimension Travel, Multiple-Timeline Travel. The only reason "Kingdom Hearts" is seen as an insult is because it's an easy target.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

FF8 literally has "Time Kompression" as a key plot point.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

When Cait Sith starts pontificating for 30 minutes on the duality of the soul, then I'll be worried.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Takoluka posted:

FF8 literally has "Time Kompression" as a key plot point.

I wonder how many noble writers, artists, and developers lost their jobs fighting that?

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Agents are GO! posted:

I wonder how many noble writers, artists, and developers lost their jobs fighting that?

considering Final Fantasy 1 is a story about a 2000 year old time loop? Probably none.

Wellwinds
Mar 20, 2010
Question, So Tifa apparently finds Cloud shortly before the events of the game happen, is it that she basically knows something's really weird but otherwise takes him at face value, or is she aware he's completely delusional but doesn't know what to do about it besides help him get work since he apparently can kill things good?

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Wellwinds posted:

Question, So Tifa apparently finds Cloud shortly before the events of the game happen, is it that she basically knows something's really weird but otherwise takes him at face value, or is she aware he's completely delusional but doesn't know what to do about it besides help him get work since he apparently can kill things good?

She has no idea, she doesn't even know how much she can trust her own memories. You can tell during the game that she's trying to pry into what Cloud remembers, and what his version of reality is.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Wellwinds posted:

She knows something's really weird about him, so she gets Barret to hire him to keep him around/keep an eye on him/try to figure it out. The issue is that Tifa also has PTSD, so when Cloud starts saying things like 'I was there when Sephiroth burned down Nibelheim!' and 'I was in Soldier' she never calls him out on it because she starts to doubt her own recollection of things.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

In the original at least, there's a flashback scene where she sees him spazzing out shaking his fists to the sky like a crazy person. Her reaction is to momentarily bury her head in her hands, then tries to continue the conversation like nothing happened.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Onmi posted:

considering Final Fantasy 1 is a story about a 2000 year old time loop? Probably none.

It was a joke based on the post we were ultimately mocking.

Dumb Lowtax posted:

Specifically, the ghosts represent the team's collective intentions to make the remake faithful and reverent to the original. Whenever the project gets off track, the ghosts lovingly correct course, for the fans. Finally, the game forces you to crush all their dreams by fighting them. Each ghost you destroy causes another writer's decisions to be overruled, and perhaps another artist to be laid off without severance pay. 

Edit: Also, I just went through the whole Mideel-lifestream-therapy section of OG ff7 and it holds up surprisingly well.

BUT WHAT ABOUT SECOND EDIT: I do understand why games in general hand-hold so much in regards to story bears these days, its basically spelled out what happened in regards to Zack, Cloud, and Tifa, but so many people missed it because the game didn't put a quest arrow leading you to it.

Agents are GO! fucked around with this message at 14:56 on May 11, 2020

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"

DeathChicken posted:

In the original at least, there's a flashback scene where she sees him spazzing out shaking his fists to the sky like a crazy person. Her reaction is to momentarily bury her head in her hands, then tries to continue the conversation like nothing happened.

Every time I see that scene where they finally kind of conflict about what actually happened and Tifa is like, "Cloud, please, I just need more time," begging to the world to let this Cloud be the same one from her childhood....that poo poo hurted.

Agents are GO! posted:

Edit: Also, I just went through the whole Mideel-lifestream-therapy section of OG ff7 and it holds up surprisingly well.

Yeah, it's actually a really good way to demonstrate how insanely easy it is for people to construct memories or switch around how exactly they happened.

BaDandy fucked around with this message at 15:29 on May 11, 2020

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Some people really just have no idea what it's like to work in a collaborative environment on a creative team (within a big corporation) and only know to judge a work based on it's output and with binary absolutes.

gredgie
Dec 9, 2012

Is there any in this rout
with authority to treat with me?
https://twitter.com/aitaikimochi/status/1259852899384991744

(I couldn't see how to do the fancy tweet sharing thing you all do, please enjoy this discount tweet URL from the Ultimania translator lady who's been linked here a bunch of times.)

Edit: Oh, the twitter thing doesn't appear in the preview but it does just work in the full post, nice.

Anyway, I never clocked it could be Kadaj, Loz and Yazoo. I guess they really went full AC.

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

gredgie posted:

(I couldn't see how to do the fancy tweet sharing thing you all do, please enjoy this discount tweet URL from the Ultimania translator lady who's been linked here a bunch of times.)

Edit: Oh, the twitter thing doesn't appear in the preview but it does just work in the full post, nice.

Anyway, I never clocked it could be Kadaj, Loz and Yazoo. I guess they really went full AC.

And then you kill it and it rules.

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"

The Dave posted:

Some people really just have no idea what it's like to work in a collaborative environment on a creative team (within a big corporation) and only know to judge a work based on it's output and with binary absolutes.

Auteur theory gives people brainworms imo.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

Hi I just finished this and I am ready for Nomura's wild ride that apparently Nomura actually made less wild than it could have been or something I dunno nerd hyperbole and obsession with identifying one person in a hundreds-strong team to be mad at is weird who loving cares

Can't wait for Zack to wander into the party and call Cloud right the gently caress out for stealing his identity

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

And Sword, and girlfriends., and business idea.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Agents are GO! posted:

It was a joke based on the post we were ultimately mocking.

Oh I know, I find it hilarious to say things in an earnest, stone-faced manner. It doesn't carry well through text.

Psycho Landlord posted:

Hi I just finished this and I am ready for Nomura's wild ride that apparently Nomura actually made less wild than it could have been or something I dunno nerd hyperbole and obsession with identifying one person in a hundreds-strong team to be mad at is weird who loving cares

Can't wait for Zack to wander into the party and call Cloud right the gently caress out for stealing his identity

The thing is, Cloud doesn't steal Zack's identity. he steals the idea of being in his place at Nibelheim and being a first-class soldier, but he doesn't claim to come from Gongaga, or act in a happy go lucky manner with a really breezy personality.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

For some reason that made me imagine Cloud as a Manic Pixie Dream Soldier.

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"
Yeah, the most he did copy from Zack directly was his gestures (made really obvious in Crisis Core). I think of it as Zack being the basic framework and then the rest is filled in with his idea of a cool SOLDIER, and it's implied that that's based on how Sephiroth used to come across. That doesn't mean he's pretending to be a blend of the two, he's just constructing a new identity while also being very brain damaged.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

BaDandy posted:

Yeah, the most he did copy from Zack directly was his gestures (made really obvious in Crisis Core). I think of it as Zack being the basic framework and then the rest is filled in with his idea of a cool SOLDIER, and it's implied that that's based on how Sephiroth used to come across. That doesn't mean he's pretending to be a blend of the two, he's just constructing a new identity while also being very brain damaged.

operator and punisher stances are zack's and sephiroth's respectively, so this holds water

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Oxxidation posted:

operator and punisher stances are zack's and sephiroth's respectively, so this holds water

holy gently caress why have i never realized this until now :aaa:

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

Oxxidation posted:

:staredog:

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"

Oxxidation posted:

Isn't Omnislash a Sephiroth limit break too or did Crisis Core lie to me?

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

To be fair, I don't ever recall spending much time actually holding still in Punisher Mode - it's mostly 'hit triangle + R1 right before an attack' or 'hit triangle and mash square when staggered'. Guess I never got to see the pose enough to make that connection.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

anakha posted:

To be fair, I don't ever recall spending much time actually holding still in Punisher Mode - it's mostly 'hit triangle + R1 right before an attack' or 'hit triangle and mash square when staggered'. Guess I never got to see the pose enough to make that connection.

No I’m reacting the same way you did I just quoted the wrong post

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3

Oxxidation posted:

:aaa:

BaDandy posted:

Isn't Omnislash a Sephiroth limit break too or did Crisis Core lie to me?

That's Octaslash, a move Sephy has had since at least Crisis Core. It shows up in Dissidia as well, and he also uses it in this game.

Gologle fucked around with this message at 17:00 on May 11, 2020

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Oxxidation posted:

Holy poo poo.

Also, speaking of Dissidia, I like how Tifas fighting style is pretty much the same as her Dissidia incarnation.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

exquisite tea posted:

When Cait Sith starts pontificating for 30 minutes on the duality of the soul, then I'll be worried.

Yeah but honestly that sounds like it would whip rear end

gredgie posted:

What's cool about this is that the hints that they were Kadaj, Loz, and Yazoo (or at least echoes of them) were subtle enough that a lot of people missed them, but clear enough that the people who caught them could point them out and have it suddenly make a lot of sense.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 17:15 on May 11, 2020

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

I told you that story so I could tell you this one...

Agents are GO! posted:

Holy poo poo.

Also, speaking of Dissidia, I like how Tifas fighting style is pretty much the same as her Dissidia incarnation.

Haven't played Dissidia, but her slide when she gets knocked back ends in that one pose from Advent Children.
She also plays a lot like Dante's Balrog moveset from DMC5.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Beefstew posted:

Haven't played Dissidia, but her slide when she gets knocked back ends in that one pose from Advent Children.
She also plays a lot like Dante's Balrog moveset from DMC5.

Yeah Dissidia (specifically the PSP ones) drew a lot of inspiration from Advent Children, and they were a ton of fun too.

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

Agents are GO! posted:

Yeah Dissidia (specifically the PSP ones) drew a lot of inspiration from Advent Children, and they were a ton of fun too.

Oh, I meant in the Remake. She does the AC slide with one hand on the ground.
I want a fighting game that's a bit more traditional with just the cast of FF7.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Beefstew posted:

I want a fighting game that's a bit more traditional with just the cast of FF7.

That (sorta) already happened back in 1998!

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Harrow posted:

Yeah but honestly that sounds like it would whip rear end

What's cool about this is that the hints that they were Kadaj, Loz, and Yazoo (or at least echoes of them) were subtle enough that a lot of people missed them, but clear enough that the people who caught them could point them out and have it suddenly make a lot of sense.

Here’s something to chew on: Kadaj, Loz, and Yazoo were just Sephiroth split into three separate beings. When you fight their whisper versions, damage to them also causes damage to the giant Arbiter of Fate.

Would that imply that the nature of the Arbiter is also tied to Sephiroth? Like, another form of him from the future?

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

LadyPictureShow posted:

That (sorta) already happened back in 1998!

Ehrgeiz counts less than Smash Bros.
They should put more FF7 characters in Smash. Or have a guest in Soul Calibur or something.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Tifa for Tekken

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=utaF0xF5E7s

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Oxxidation posted:

holy poo poo

Waffleman_ posted:

Tifa for Tekken

The launch combos...
https://twitter.com/SunhiLegend/status/1256765876763852802

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games

Onmi posted:

The thing is, Cloud doesn't steal Zack's identity. he steals the idea of being in his place at Nibelheim and being a first-class soldier, but he doesn't claim to come from Gongaga, or act in a happy go lucky manner with a really breezy personality.

This is the main reason we absolutely need the Nibelheim Flashback; to see/hear HD Cloud's model/VA play at being Zack