Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Managed to get st. Louis ribs cut for the first time. Guess I now understand the 3 in 3-2-1 (adapted myself to 2-2-fire with the cuts we get here, which still always was pretty good). What a wonderfull piece of meat. Fingers crossed that I don‘t gently caress it up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

I finally pulled the trigger on a Thermapen Mk4.

Also, the wings/Vortex chat has me wanting to pick some up today. Chuck roast thawing in the fridge to smoke Monday for pulled beef tacos.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Any tips for smoking chicken? Just bought a new smoker and I was thinking just spatchcock, give them a simple rub and smoke on 275 until 155 internal then I'll check if the skin could do with some high heat in the oven to finish, otherwise let it go to 165.

onemanlan
Oct 4, 2006

Republicans posted:

Any tips for smoking chicken? Just bought a new smoker and I was thinking just spatchcock, give them a simple rub and smoke on 275 until 155 internal then I'll check if the skin could do with some high heat in the oven to finish, otherwise let it go to 165.

That plan is pretty solid. Just don't oversmoke with some heavy wood like hickory and you're good!

my turn in the barrel
Dec 31, 2007

I put a 7.5 lb pork shoulder on 18.5 WSM at 5pm yesterday.

I set the my signals/billows to 225f and it has been holding steady other than when I threw in some more lump around 1am and it shot up to 260ish for a few minutes.

At noon today I noticed the temp dropping down to ~200f so I checked and it was pretty low of fuel so I put in more lump.

Pork has now been on for ~21 hours and is hopefully coming out of the stall.

I have never had pork take this long and am slightly concerned. But I have always used the vents so my temps were never this consistent in past cooks so I think it's just something I will need to adapt to.

I did kick the billows up to 250f to hopefully finish the stall and get this thing done in another 4 hours or so in time for dinner.

Open lid detection does seem to work fine and kills the fan. But you only have a 2 minute window so you have to be quick.

One hell of a stall hopefully I didn't make pig jerky.

Edit: Hit 203 right around the 24 hour mark. Tried some of the bark that stuck to the grate and it was awesome. Wrapped in foil waiting 30 minutes to pull it. Best bark I've ever gotten on a butt.

Edit 2:
Bark setup nicely after resting in foil

my turn in the barrel fucked around with this message at 08:20 on May 10, 2020

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

Republicans posted:

OP needs to be updated to include always smoke chicken above 300*F. It doesn’t have nearly enough connective tissue to break down into anything useful and the skin will be subpar if you don’t make sure to get it dried out completely during the cook, which is really easy to do at 275. If I were you, I’d probably try to avoid the oven and just give a try at firing the smoker up a bit higher than I normally would for the whole cook, especially if it’s brand-new.

I did thighs yesterday and was really pleased with the doneness and flavor, but the skin was only okay. At first I was just going to try out this used pit barrel cooker I just got by firing up some charcoal and seeing how it burned and held temp for a few hours with the recommended settings, then decided I might as well try to cook something if I’m gonna burn all that fuel. So I ended up lighting a couple more chimneys over the course of a couple hours and held it around 300 with some pecan chunks while my partner made habanero-jalapeño jam which i cooked up into a ketchup-based spicy barbecue sauce that got slathered on while finishing the thighs. I had to hold them in a warm oven for a couple hours while we had something else to do but they finished up alright back in the smoker with the 2nd chimney of hot coals. The sauce caramelized up a lot, which made up for the flabby skin quite a bit, actually.

my turn in the barrel
Dec 31, 2007

my turn in the barrel posted:

I realized if I liked the 2 weber grills so much I should really look for a WSM to replace my brinkman. I got a bunch of cedar planks and grilling stuff like replacement ignitors on clearance for a dollar at my local walmart so I checked a few other walmarts and found this.

I did a clean burn on the WSM and then started seasoning it with cheap meat. I know you're not supposed to expect edible results the first few cooks but I figured I would try some smoked bacon.

It was awesome and I made Bacon Lattice and Tomato sandwiches with it.

I then put on a rack of cheap ribs. I didn't expect to eat these and got stuck away from the grill for an hour too long and they were a bit overdone. I also need to adjust how I cook as my electric would barely hit 225 on a good day with a dry water pan so I'm not used to even consistent heat and need to adjust my recipes for shorter cooking times. They were much better than anything that came off the brinkman.

Necro quoting my own post about breaking in a WSM since I've seen a few new owners asking about breaking one in.

I would recommend a clean burn of a full chimney with the grates and bowl out and all the vents open to start with.

Once that burns out smoke some cheap stuff like bacon a time or 2 to get some crud built up around the door and the joints. You could even leave the bowl out so the fat falls on the coals and speeds up the crud formation but you run the risk of ruining $3 of bacon if the grease pools and catches fire in the bottom.

A nice layer of crud will seal everything and really helps keep the temps stable.

Jul 11, 2003

by astral
Is there a cheaper option of the billows + signal?

my turn in the barrel
Dec 31, 2007

5436 posted:

Is there a cheaper option of the billows + signal?

I do not have one but the BBQPitmaster IQ 110 sells for $140.

https://pitmasteriq.com/products/iq110

Pretty basic (no wifi/bt) and only a pit controller so you would want a seperate meat thermometer.

I saw one on FB marketplace for $60 the other day and almost bit to have it as a backup or to run a second wsm/kettle if I ever need one.

There is also a goon designed DIY one called a heater meter IIRC that you might be able to make for ~100 in parts plus your time assembling it.

Jul 11, 2003

by astral

my turn in the barrel posted:

I do not have one but the BBQPitmaster IQ 110 sells for $140.

https://pitmasteriq.com/products/iq110

Pretty basic (no wifi/bt) and only a pit controller so you would want a seperate meat thermometer.

I saw one on FB marketplace for $60 the other day and almost bit to have it as a backup or to run a second wsm/kettle if I ever need one.

There is also a goon designed DIY one called a heater meter IIRC that you might be able to make for ~100 in parts plus your time assembling it.

Looks so cheap, rather just get the billows + smoke X. Sucks cause I jsut got the thermworks smoke, maybe I can return it.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
Dumb rub question -- I've heard of people putting oil, water, mustard, etc. on whatever they're cooking "to make the rub stick better". I've never done that in my life, and also I feel like I've never seen a dry rub *not* stick to a piece of meat. Am I missing out on something? I apply rub to meat, I put meat on grill, it seems to stick fine.

onemanlan
Oct 4, 2006
I used yellow mustard for the longest time until I ran out and forgot to buy more. As a consequence I started applying rub to meat without it or any other binder(though I did try oil once). Didn't notice too much of a difference in the end comparing the with and without mustard. I do think you can get more rub to stick and that the mustard does seem help contribute to the crust, but it's definitely not necessary for a good BBQ product. Seems to be a preference thing like lump vs briquette charcoal. You can get to the same ends with different choices in the process. It's certainly less messy abstaining from any binder for sure.

Recently I came across fried mustard coated fish & chicken (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q_vBKQsP0-o). Folks use it in place of buttermilk or other binders since it's thick, but seems not to contribute heavily to the overall flavor after being cooked. Thought that was interesting.

A little later this evening I'm going to do a smoked turkey breast on my battle box. Will provide pics and/or a video of the process. This is my first big bird in the insulated box. My dad loves it so I'm going to part out some to him. Nothing makes me as happy as sharing food with folks when you know they dig it(or at least lie to you and tell you they do).

onemanlan fucked around with this message at 17:54 on May 10, 2020

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...
I use a little bit of olive oil. I’ve also not used it and noticed zero difference.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Lawnie posted:

OP needs to be updated to include always smoke chicken above 300*F. It doesn’t have nearly enough connective tissue to break down into anything useful and the skin will be subpar if you don’t make sure to get it dried out completely during the cook, which is really easy to do at 275. If I were you, I’d probably try to avoid the oven and just give a try at firing the smoker up a bit higher than I normally would for the whole cook, especially if it’s brand-new.

I did thighs yesterday and was really pleased with the doneness and flavor, but the skin was only okay. At first I was just going to try out this used pit barrel cooker I just got by firing up some charcoal and seeing how it burned and held temp for a few hours with the recommended settings, then decided I might as well try to cook something if I’m gonna burn all that fuel. So I ended up lighting a couple more chimneys over the course of a couple hours and held it around 300 with some pecan chunks while my partner made habanero-jalapeño jam which i cooked up into a ketchup-based spicy barbecue sauce that got slathered on while finishing the thighs. I had to hold them in a warm oven for a couple hours while we had something else to do but they finished up alright back in the smoker with the 2nd chimney of hot coals. The sauce caramelized up a lot, which made up for the flabby skin quite a bit, actually.

I ended up getting an electric smoker that can only get up to 275 but that was the tradeoff I was willing to make to not have to fuss with fuel. Finishing the last 15 or so degrees in a 500 degree oven did a lot to give the skin some crunch and it was still nice and smokey without being overbearing. Next time I'll probably quarter it first instead of leaving it whole since there was a woeful bald spot on the lower breasts where the legs were touching. Granted it probably saved the meat from getting too dry but the skin's the best part anyways. I really wanted to do brisket first but nowhere around here has any because of the drat 'rona.

onemanlan
Oct 4, 2006
Unless I have a rotisserie on hand, which I don't, I refuse to do a whole bird without some minor butchering. Either half it(easier to purchase already halved) or spatchcock it. It lends to more even cooking across the poultry as well as seemingly quicker cooks.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

onemanlan posted:

Unless I have a rotisserie on hand, which I don't, I refuse to do a whole bird without some minor butchering. Either half it(easier to purchase already halved) or spatchcock it. It lends to more even cooking across the poultry as well as seemingly quicker cooks.

I’m looking forward to hanging a chicken in the PBC. I too spatchcock almost universally, but it seems too fun and cool not to try hanging one whole.

onemanlan
Oct 4, 2006

Lawnie posted:

I’m looking forward to hanging a chicken in the PBC. I too spatchcock almost universally, but it seems too fun and cool not to try hanging one whole.

For sure. I definitely wouldn't bother spatchcocking it if the plan was to hang it. Seems like it'd be even more a of a pain in the rear end to to get situated. How do you like your PBC? Hear a lot of people rave about it.

Mission Turkey Breast - complete

Pre-brined breasts are stupid easy. Most minimal prep imaginable for a turkey at least. Also doing breast alone is way less of a hassle than a whole bird.

onemanlan fucked around with this message at 03:52 on May 11, 2020

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

First time making St. Louis-style ribs. Typical 3-2-1.

3 hours at about 210, smoked with a handful of cherry wood, wrapped and sprinkled with some butter, honey, dash of scotch and apple juice, and another 2 hours (temp went up a bit here, but mostly at 220

final hour direct grilling at whatever (didn't watch the temp, only the meat, actually), covered in honey and bbq sauce

result:

tasted really good, was super tender and moist. Will do again.

e: just learned that I should have trimmed that fat off the thicker end. Beginner's mistake, I guess, I never had this cut of ribs before. It was really good though (from both ends).

tuo fucked around with this message at 12:33 on May 11, 2020

Tomfoolery
Oct 8, 2004

Republicans posted:

It's rather hard to ruin a spatchcock chicken, and the main issue is getting the crispy skin. Some of the crazies on the big green egg forums (my go-to for smoking/grilling recipes, not the website itself) recommend keeping the chicken uncovered in your fridge for 24 hours prior to cooking, to dry out the skin. I don't have that kind of time / fridge space so I generally just spatchcock chicken directly over the flame, and start skin-down for 15 minutes first then flip. It's a hack but works and is easy.

Ideal white meat temperature is 160 degrees; dark meat is better at 165 so the connective tissue melts a bit more. Dark meat is also far more forgiving than lean white meat which will go dry quickly over 160. Ideally you can cook through the dark meat to 160 when the breast is still at 150-155 and let the bird rest.

If you have a hotter part of your smoker, put the legs towards it and the breasts away. Finishing in the oven isn't a terrible way to crisp up the skin, or do the whole cook in your smoker at 350/400 degrees.

If you have pecan wood, my favorite cook right now is a bit of oil and salt/pepper/garlic on a spatchcocked chicken, smoked direct with pecan.

ROJO
Jan 14, 2006

Oven Wrangler
First smoke of the year, started out with some Costco baby backs.

Seasoned with Memphis Dust, and smoked on the large WSM over Kingsford Blue and cherry chunks. 6 hours at 220-230, no wrapping.

Put a tray of beans under at the halfway mark

Final results. Wife and I mowed a rack, vac-sealed the rest for freezing for later. Could have left them on slightly longer, but overall were tasty and juicy as hell.

I think I've determined I need to try a different setup with my charcoal/lighting. I have normally done a snake around the outside of the ring, lighting one end with a 1/3 chimney. It works fine for a 6 hour cook like ribs, but burns out shortly thereafter and I need to keep adding charcoal around the circumference throughout longer cooks. Also had trouble keeping the temp up at times even with most vents open yesterday, I think because there just isn't enough charcoal burning at any given time regardless of air intake. Going to do a butt next and try the minion method.

ROJO fucked around with this message at 18:36 on May 11, 2020

onemanlan
Oct 4, 2006

Tomfoolery posted:

If you have pecan wood, my favorite cook right now is a bit of oil and salt/pepper/garlic on a spatchcocked chicken, smoked direct with pecan.

Pecan is my go to wood these days. I live in a hickory heavy BBQ region and while I like it my partner from South Africa is not a fan. She and other folks, who aren't full on into smoked foods, really seem to enjoy the pecan and fruit wood flavors over the heavy hickory flavor. It's much more difficult to over-smoke with pecan than it is with the stronger flavored woods.

ROJO posted:

I think I've determined I need to try a different setup with my charcoal/lighting. I have normally done a snake around the outside of the ring, lighting one end with a 1/3 chimney. It works fine for a 6 hour cook like ribs, but burns out shortly thereafter and I need to keep adding charcoal around the circumference throughout longer cooks. Also had trouble keeping the temp up at times even with most vents open yesterday, I think because there just isn't enough charcoal burning at any given time regardless of air intake. Going to do a butt next and try the minion method.

Minion method really helped out with duration. I always start by adding hot coals from one edge rather than the middle section with the thought that t'here will be a side-to-side direction of burn rather than spidering out from the center.' Close and open vents as needed. When things are chugging along at the right temp you should be able to nearly close off inlet vents unless its cold or windy.

Here is an example https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2RrAr3ExNp0

Quick mock up

onemanlan fucked around with this message at 21:35 on May 11, 2020

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!
I'm in the market for a Traeger or similar pellet grill, but there's so many and I'm not sure which direction to go in, so hey thread if you could help me out i'd much appreciate it.

I'm a person whos at most (the most!) cooking for 6, so it needs to be able to smoke an 8 pound piece of meat, tops. I want a set it and forget it kind of machine. I'm basically looking for my anova sous vide set up, but BBQ. If yall could help me figure out which one to grab from costco I'd super appreciate it. Thank you so much!!!

Edit: It doesn't have to be all in one. If there's a good pellet smoker combo w/ wifi/bluetooth thermometer i'll take it.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

I have the little Traeger and I’ve smoked a full packer brisket on it.

I have the older version of this one: https://www.traegergrills.com/pellet-grills/portable/tailgater-black

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

If you're buying at Costco, I think I saw the Traeger Silverton 620 was still at $699 the other day. I picked one up a few months back at that price and have used it pretty much every weekend since. It's got all the wifi/app stuff you want and I'm loving mine.

Rapulum_Dei
Sep 7, 2009

Rapulum_Dei posted:

Restaurant grade lumpwood is bigger so burns longer - lots of fist size chunks, or bigger.

I’ve tried briquettes, the Weber ones are pretty good but there’s still so much more ash that I thinkpure lumpwood is better IF you can get the good stuff.
Regular bags might be fine for barbecues but I don’t want to be refuelling constantly over 12+ hours.

Got a delivery today, back in the game. The difference speaks for itself I think.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

draw me like one of your French Canadian girls
I finally have space for a smoker again. My old one is a little too large, so I am looking for a smaller electric one just to scratch the itch again. Basically as long as I can toss a pork butt or a couple ribs in I will be happy. Probably about 30 or so inches wide is my max. Any recommendations?

I was looking at the Masterbuilt 30in. I had a larger one for several years but the heating element crapped out and I just don't have room here.

THE MACHO MAN fucked around with this message at 14:33 on May 12, 2020

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Going to try another round of pulled pork this week...this will be my second attempt using the MES and the AMNPS. The first time it took way longer than I thought-I started at 6 am and at 7 pm it still wasn't done. I'm a bit hazy on the details-let me know if I'm tracking correctly:

-Remove all the fat except for 1/8 inch on the top.
-Coat with rub about 12-24 hours prior to smoking (salt is included in my rub).
-preheat smoker to 225
-Load AMNPS with 2-3 rows full of pellets and light it (this should give at least 6 hours of smoke I think)
-Wait until meat hits internal temp of 203

I'm not going to bother crutching unless I have to. Does the above sound right? I'm honestly thinking I'll just start this cook at 10 PM and let it go through the night. This way I don't have to worry about it not being done in time for dinner the next day and if it gets done early I'll just wrap it in towels and stick it in a cooler for a bit. I'd also rather not wake up at 3 am to start the cook. Worst case scenario is the AMNPS either stops working so it doesn't smoke overnight, or it gets done at 9-10AM.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Rapulum_Dei posted:

Got a delivery today, back in the game. The difference speaks for itself I think.

Nice! If you don't mind me asking was this a big food service place (Sysco, Gordon, USF) or mom & pop?

I'm curious since RD is the only place that sells Royal Oak consistently cheaply for me. Curious how you'd compare that stuff to Royal Oak?

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Can't speak for the OP, but Royal Oak isn't highly regarded.

Nothing like finding concrete, slag, and random bolts in your charcoal.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
The Kamado Joe lump charcoal is really good. Has some really nice big chunks in it and I've never come across weird stuff in it.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!

Enos Cabell posted:

If you're buying at Costco, I think I saw the Traeger Silverton 620 was still at $699 the other day. I picked one up a few months back at that price and have used it pretty much every weekend since. It's got all the wifi/app stuff you want and I'm loving mine.

Its 799 online, I’ll look for it in store!

Tomfoolery
Oct 8, 2004

wandler20 posted:

The Kamado Joe lump charcoal is really good. Has some really nice big chunks in it and I've never come across weird stuff in it.

I buy Kamado Joe off amazon. Good stuff.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

nwin posted:

Going to try another round of pulled pork this week...this will be my second attempt using the MES and the AMNPS. The first time it took way longer than I thought-I started at 6 am and at 7 pm it still wasn't done. I'm a bit hazy on the details-let me know if I'm tracking correctly:

-Remove all the fat except for 1/8 inch on the top.
-Coat with rub about 12-24 hours prior to smoking (salt is included in my rub).
-preheat smoker to 225
-Load AMNPS with 2-3 rows full of pellets and light it (this should give at least 6 hours of smoke I think)
-Wait until meat hits internal temp of 203

I'm not going to bother crutching unless I have to. Does the above sound right? I'm honestly thinking I'll just start this cook at 10 PM and let it go through the night. This way I don't have to worry about it not being done in time for dinner the next day and if it gets done early I'll just wrap it in towels and stick it in a cooler for a bit. I'd also rather not wake up at 3 am to start the cook. Worst case scenario is the AMNPS either stops working so it doesn't smoke overnight, or it gets done at 9-10AM.

I can't speak to the AMNPS, but I have started cooking any large chunk of meat the night before at around 10pm. The MES makes it super easy. I'll throw it in about an hour before I go to bed, then when I go to bed through some more woodchips in. Your timing at least sounds good to me.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Tomfoolery posted:

I buy Kamado Joe off amazon. Good stuff.

Big Green Egg is also good, and I would assume 1.5x the price

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Ultimate Mango posted:

Big Green Egg is also good, and I would assume 1.5x the price

I found way more poo poo in my few purchases of BGE charcoal (7-9 years ago) than I have in the royal oak bags that I've been buying at home Depot for the past few years.

Of course the BGE charcoal is made by RO :v:

Weekend warrior was my go to but I can't find it anywhere now

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

More charcoal talk, anyone compare kingsford blue vs. pro?

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat
The few times I've had the competition Kingsford I noticed less ash. Other than that, no real difference.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...
Lowe’s would run huge sales on Weber charcoal briquettes every now and then and they were my favorite.

So far I’ve tried only B&B and have gotten a handful of rocks in every pour!

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

This stuff is great but I can only find it in the twee boutique near my work, where it is not cheap. I will pay a premium for the charcoal but want to order a pallet of it. Maybe I should give them a call and see if they do pickup.

edit: all griller, no filler

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I still don't understand why there's always rocks and concrete and poo poo in Royal Oak. What the hell is the process that results in this?