Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

poverty goat posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YpVF2t39jEc

this pretty much went by the wayside after lechuck's revenge because it was a lot of work and none of the 10 year olds playing the game at the time noticed

Hah, I mean, this was actually one of the games I had in my head when I said this! It struck SUCH a strong chord (ho ho ho) with me, there's a bit in particular in the swamp that does this little 'do do doooo' perfectly in time with the action, and it just ups the immersion massively, makes it feel like a movie that you're in. There's a bit where you're talking to the corpse / ghost of a dude to try and help him move on, and it's got this oddly perfect music that I was thinking about the other day (it's actually what made me think of this) in the graveyard, that's just this really perfect mix of wistfully sad and 'deathly', but it's also oddly respectful, which is a hard note to hit (ho ho? Not sure if that's a pun or just, the meaning there) so perfectly. I think I'd want it played at my funeral. It's not just the tech, but the quality. Paying attention to the audio element to that degree just really really paid off for me, it strikes me as strange that it isn't more of a thing.

I think it's easier to disregard Hotline Miami and Furi as almost being a genre unto themselves that includes the use of (in particular Outrun) music as part of that genre, but they're again both to me simple games elevated HUGELY because of the scores. I think Furi is one of my favourite of all time. Grand Theft Auto owes a huge debt of its success, I feel, to the radio stations, for example. I think Tomb Raider entered the Zeitgeist, but I don't really think it's a 'beloved' franchise, and I feel like a total lack of a theme tune underscores (ho ho!) that fact.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

At least the reboot trilogy has a theme tune. In Shadow, that's all you'll ever hear!

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

poverty goat posted:

Cutscenes are actually not gameplay at all

calling doom glory kills "cutscenes" is so dumb, astoundingly dumb even

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Shadow the Hedgehog has some signature tunes though I'm p sure

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Caesar Saladin posted:

calling doom glory kills "cutscenes" is so dumb, astoundingly dumb even

you press a button when prompted and lose control of the character. you can take your hands off the controls, and it makes no difference to whether he proceeds to rip out its spine or tear off its jaw, because it's a canned cutscene until the game returns control to you

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
Reloading is a cutscene

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

I have a very small TV. Don't make fun of it! Please don't shame it like that~

Grimey Drawer

signalnoise posted:

Reloading is a cutscene

You're goddamn right it is

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Getting into a vehicle in GTA is a cutscene

Spinning Piledriver is a cutscene

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

shoryuken is a cutscene

stinger in devil may cry is a cutscene

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Nice Van My Man posted:

Actually "xray" or "rage" whatever stupid canned animation panic moves that take > 10 seconds to play out are making modern fighting games bad.

no, those moves are generally cool and pretty limited

what is making modern fighting games bad is ridiculous half-random clash mechanics thrown into every game. i don’t know if this is an unpopular opinion or not because I don’t really interact with any punchman game fans but clashes loving suuuuuuuck

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

poverty goat posted:

you press a button when prompted and lose control of the character. you can take your hands off the controls, and it makes no difference to whether he proceeds to rip out its spine or tear off its jaw, because it's a canned cutscene until the game returns control to you

Same happens when I go down a tube in a Mario game. Also takes way longer as a glory kill in Doom. And also always looks the same. I assume it's also a QTE.

Then again, you don't go down a tube in Mario as often as you normally do glory kills in newer Dooms games, so there's that. I understand the argument, but I really get the feeling that many people complaining about it never played Eternal (the glory kills are much shorter than in 2016).

There is a lot to argue about with Eternal, but the glory kills? I don't know...

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo
a thread about toys that is determined to be more dour than the global pandemic megathread

pooch516
Mar 10, 2010

tuo posted:

Same happens when I go down a tube in a Mario game. Also takes way longer as a glory kill in Doom. And also always looks the same. I assume it's also a QTE.

Then again, you don't go down a tube in Mario as often as you normally do glory kills in newer Dooms games, so there's that. I understand the argument, but I really get the feeling that many people complaining about it never played Eternal (the glory kills are much shorter than in 2016).

There is a lot to argue about with Eternal, but the glory kills? I don't know...

I have to sit through the cutscene of this guy growing EVERYTIME I get a mushroom? Get the gently caress outta here with that!!!

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

its a cutscene when i take a poo poo because i can't leave until the turd slides out of my rear end in a top hat

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

I would play xcom but there's a cutscene every time you do anything at all

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo

Caesar Saladin posted:

its a cutscene when i take a poo poo because i can't leave until the turd slides out of my rear end in a top hat

you’re supposed to WHAT?!

tripwood
Jul 21, 2003

"Cuno can see you're trying to shit him, but Cuno's unshittable, so fuck does Cuno care?"

Hint: He doesn't care.
Glory kills have and always will suck, lovely game Serious Sam 3 had them and it did not help make a lovely game better

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

Sure, enjoy your first-person Ryse if that's your thing,

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Ryse was a solid 7/10 that had the unfortunate luck to launch on a bad system and be hastily recobbled into a real game instead of a kinect game. If it had been given another 6 months or just not made a kinect game at the outset itd have made enough money for an equally middling sequel that underperforms to be released.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

It's a cutscene if it says "press <button> to skip", imo

Badactura
Feb 14, 2019

My wish lives in the future.
I played like 3 hours of doom 2016 before the gameplay got boring.

The closest cultural phenomenon to the Doom reboots I can think of are the Transformers movies, where basically you've got a massive budget applied to a corny nostalgic franchise that delights in its own corniness.

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

What I really hate are cutscenes that pretend to not be cutscenes by making you put in the slightest bit of effort to move them along.

Looking at you Metal Gear Solid V

Nice Van My Man
Jan 1, 2008

signalnoise posted:

I would play xcom but there's a cutscene every time you do anything at all

Man we must be on opposite ends of the animation length spectrum because I keep unironically agreeing with you. I turn that poo poo off in Civ and wished I could have in Xcom. I'm sure there's a mod that'll do that, but my attention span is far too short to be able to track it down.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

PinheadSlim posted:

What I really hate are cutscenes that pretend to not be cutscenes by making you put in the slightest bit of effort to move them along.

Looking at you Metal Gear Solid V

The gameplay is the cutscenes in MGS V

e: oh, wait, I mixed MGS 4 and 5 up, sorry

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

i don't think video games should have any characters, story, hell basically they shouldn't really have anything at all, they just shouldn't exist, they certainly shouldn't have any gameplay and if they do it definitely shouldn't be fun

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

Caesar Saladin posted:

i don't think video games should have any characters, story, hell basically they shouldn't really have anything at all, they just shouldn't exist, they certainly shouldn't have any gameplay and if they do it definitely shouldn't be fun

same, but unironically.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Video games should be a button you press to electrocute your balls til you die

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Nice Van My Man posted:

Man we must be on opposite ends of the animation length spectrum because I keep unironically agreeing with you. I turn that poo poo off in Civ and wished I could have in Xcom. I'm sure there's a mod that'll do that, but my attention span is far too short to be able to track it down.

Xcom is not a terrible offender here in my opinion, but things could be done to improve its animations. Battletech absolutely was, before the option was added to just speed up fuckin everything. As an actual recommendation though, if you want to see "Xcom but with animation speeds done better" try out Gears Tactics. Two major things are done to improve the fluidity of combat, I think. First, each thing you do whether it is movement or firing or using some ability, it takes an action point and you get 3 per turn. When you set someone to use overwatch, they can fire in overwatch for as many action points as they had when you set them up. In combination with that, enemy turns combine movement and actions for multiple units to act simultaneously. Enemies also die way easier in Gears Tactics compared to Xcom, and they throw more enemies at you. The result of all this together is sometimes they send waves of enemies at you through multiple arcs of overwatch and it's just a fuckin murder hole. The game doesn't have any base management or money or whatever, it's just a straight up mission progression, but if I could do Xcom with Gears Tactics combat I would.

Nice Van My Man
Jan 1, 2008

Huh, that game flew under my radar because I never played Gears. My other complaint about Xcom (which I think is more popular and less suited for this thread) was that the tactics felt like the most important thing was just not finding a new enemy during your turn, lest you suddenly double your opponents. I feel like this took a lot of fun out of the positioning, since it basically meant you should never try to flank. If Gears fixes that I may have to give it a try.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Nice Van My Man posted:

Huh, that game flew under my radar because I never played Gears. My other complaint about Xcom (which I think is more popular and less suited for this thread) was that the tactics felt like the most important thing was just not finding a new enemy during your turn, lest you suddenly double your opponents. I feel like this took a lot of fun out of the positioning, since it basically meant you should never try to flank. If Gears fixes that I may have to give it a try.

Gears just has sequences of encounters. Instead of exploring a map and trying not to trigger certain monsters, you approach and a whole encounter is triggered and that's it. It's a really good translation of the 3rd person shooters to turn based, and it makes perfect sense as a tactics game honestly. I kinda thought it was a dumb idea before I played it but I mean, the shooter game is a cover shooter, and this is a cover-based tactics game, so yeah.

Get it on PC with that gamepass poo poo because it's much cheaper that way.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Nice Van My Man posted:

In gears, enemies are action point piñatas. You want more enemies, since you can put them into a downed state and execute them, which gives all your other units AP. Against a swarm of weak enemies, you can have an insane amount of AP. I had my heavy gunner on an elevated position and everyone else fed him AP, basically. Then I over watched him with 6AP and 6 rounds in his machine gun and he just shredded enemies nonstop.

It ruled. That whole turn was just absolute carnage.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

Nice Van My Man posted:

that's definitely why I dropped xcom2 after a while. the whole exposing pods mechanic becomes increasingly important and unavoidable, but also feels really game-y. that part of the combat felt really bland compared to something like jagged alliance 2.

x-com chimera squad seems to be better about it, but that's because there's just no room for unexposed pods as far as I can tell (what with it all being indoors in small rooms).

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

In a couple of years when the honeymoon is over and you can't even kill a terrorist in battlefield 16 without walking up and pressing g for a cutscene where you execute him and steal his magazine you'll all realize it's dumb as gently caress and doom was the beginning

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

I have a very small TV. Don't make fun of it! Please don't shame it like that~

Grimey Drawer
I kinda want to install Xcom again because turn based gunfights are my fetish but there's no drat way I'm going to build facilities and oversee the *yawn* allocation of engineers and scientists to research and build *yawn* 100 different things and also manage planes and satellZZZZZZZZZZZ

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

poverty goat posted:

In a couple of years when the honeymoon is over and you can't even kill a terrorist in battlefield 16 without walking up and pressing g for a cutscene where you execute him and steal his magazine you'll all realize it's dumb as gently caress and doom was the beginning

Guy I'm not even convinced there's gonna be a Battlefield 6, much less 16!

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo
I pressed the melee button and the Doom Guy tore an imp’s skull off of its vertebrae, which was cool, but then he started talking to the skull; apparently he knew the imp and it was named Yorick? really loving weird time for a lore dump in the middle of a firefight

Ocean Book
Sep 27, 2010

:yum: - hi
lol 'glory kill' is such an embarrassing term. fps aesthetics are tailored for teenage boys and their emotional equivalents

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.
Glory kills are the Dark Souls of cutscenes.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

signalnoise posted:

Gears just has sequences of encounters. Instead of exploring a map and trying not to trigger certain monsters, you approach and a whole encounter is triggered and that's it. It's a really good translation of the 3rd person shooters to turn based, and it makes perfect sense as a tactics game honestly. I kinda thought it was a dumb idea before I played it but I mean, the shooter game is a cover shooter, and this is a cover-based tactics game, so yeah.

Get it on PC with that gamepass poo poo because it's much cheaper that way.

I just beat the first big boss and I'm really liking it, but what I hate is that it does that whole loot thing where you have like 10 gear slots and after a mission maybe you replace your common barrel that gives +3% damage with a rare barrel that gives +5% damage. Games like this should just have 2 or 3 slots that each have a major effect rather than a bunch of piddly ones you may or may not ever actually notice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!

The Moon Monster posted:

I just beat the first big boss and I'm really liking it, but what I hate is that it does that whole loot thing where you have like 10 gear slots and after a mission maybe you replace your common barrel that gives +3% damage with a rare barrel that gives +5% damage. Games like this should just have 2 or 3 slots that each have a major effect rather than a bunch of piddly ones you may or may not ever actually notice.

Gears 5 was fun. It's crazy how well optimized it was for my PC. Gamepass Ultimate is a great deal. It cost me a dollar until July 2022.