Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nuclear War
Nov 7, 2012

You're a pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty girl

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

https://www.duffelblog.com/2020/05/generals-who-failed-to-defeat-taliban-explains-how-to-kill-a-virus/

quote:

WASHINGTON — Numerous general officers who contributed to America’s slow-motion failure in Afghanistan would like you to take their advice on how to defeat the coronavirus pandemic, sources confirmed today.

“I think our advice is particularly timely for government officials. We know how to walk away from a disaster where people died with our reputations intact,” said retired Gen. Stanley McChrystal, who ended his career as commander of U.S. forces in Afghanistan. “If you think you face a similar situation, I am actually a consultant now, and I can assist.”

McChrystal, who is most famous for his strategic insight that the United States should “muddle along” in Afghanistan, called the U.S. response to coronavirus “pathetic.” He has also argued that the country should employ counterinsurgency doctrine in order to defeat coronavirus, a doctrine best noted for its failure to defeat the Taliban.

Retired Adm. Bill McRaven, who like McChrystal commanded Joint Special Operations Command during America’s long and mostly unsuccessful counterterrorism campaign after 9/11, has different advice.

“The key thing is to make your bed every morning,” McRaven recently told government leaders at a $10,000-a-seat Zoom masterclass on leadership. “Just make your bed to flatten the curve.”

Former SEAL McRaven’s advice has had a major impact on governors around the country, who have been making their beds in records numbers. For his exceptional contributions, the University of Phoenix recently granted McRaven an honorary doctorate in epidemiology.

Other senior leaders have weighed in as well. In an op-ed for the Washington Post, former top commander in Vietnam Gen. William C. Westmoreland posthumously emphasized the importance of a metrics-based approach to such importance operations.

“You need to decide what is worth counting, count it, and make decisions to change that count,” Westmoreland wrote through a medium. “Maybe you count bodies, maybe you count infections. Whatever you count, if you don’t take a data-driven, scientific approach, you are doomed to failure.”

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

gently caress it got me until the making your bed comment.

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler

facialimpediment posted:

OPEN THE GYMS BRAH, GONNA CRUSH COVID LIKE THIS SET

https://twitter.com/WFLA/status/1259867354206535681?s=19

:d2a:

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Woofer posted:

Cant believe native Americans are being such babies about a virus that is killing a bunch of people.

Woof.

er

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.

Leonard likes this post!

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!

LingcodKilla posted:

gently caress it got me until the making your bed comment.

Army Gen. Mark Milley posted:

“I think Marines should get haircuts, from a personal standpoint,” Milley told reporters. “As the son of a Navy corpsman who hit the beach at Iwo Jima with the 4th Marine Division, it took extraordinary discipline to conquer that island with 7,000 Marines killed in 19 and 20 days and put a flag on Suribachi. That Marine victory was the result of incredible discipline of America’s 911 force and the expeditionary force. It may seem superficial to some, but getting a haircut is part of that discipline.”

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

facialimpediment posted:

OPEN THE GYMS BRAH, GONNA CRUSH COVID LIKE THIS SET

https://twitter.com/WFLA/status/1259867354206535681?s=19

Can't let Uncle Pneumo make you his bitch, brah.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Protestors doing squats and pushups

What a world

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Business as usual, I guess: 5 people were injured during Texas shooting at a park with 600 people

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

people said it couldn't be done, but we finally have a quarantine mass shooting :patriot:

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Doc Hawkins posted:

people said it couldn't be done, but we finally have a quarantine mass shooting :patriot:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dMjQ3hA9mEA

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

Riot Carol Danvers posted:

Leonard likes this post!

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

Lol some fireworks went off and people with guns went all Frank Reynolds

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

UP THE BUM NO BABY posted:

Lol some fireworks went off and people with guns went all Frank Reynolds

Yosemite Sam

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
"The best thing we can do for them is obviously pray and ... get them some medical care right now," Calzada said of the victims.

Ah yes, the standard trauma medicine practice of first we pray.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

quote:

"We've been stating that everyone would follow the rules that have been set out," Calzada said. "We've tried to work with everybody to not try to cite them or ticket them but ultimately people have a choice and that's just the choice they made tonight."

They chose violence.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

Hell yeah quarantine vigilante terrorists

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
Jordan Weissmann (@JHWeissmann) Tweeted:
In case you were wondering how the reopening is going down south. https://t.co/xneL4Pelci https://twitter.com/JHWeissmann/status/1259903233994248193?s=20

A rip roaring economic return!

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

Do you think that people eating at home for 2 months will instigate a change in people's habits in the long term? People might decide they actually like cooking and sitting down for a meal together.

Woofer
Mar 2, 2020

Doc Hawkins posted:

This is how we transition back to pre-corona normal.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

mlmp08 posted:

Jordan Weissmann (@JHWeissmann) Tweeted:
In case you were wondering how the reopening is going down south. https://t.co/xneL4Pelci https://twitter.com/JHWeissmann/status/1259903233994248193?s=20

A rip roaring economic return!

Predictably, the rhetoric has shifted to calling people shut-in cowards for not going out.

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

Getting called a coward for staying inside. Again, having deployed to Afghanistan and Iraq, I'm comfortably with the concept of limiting my movements to a very small area. It's maddening to me that the American people are melting down at the thought of having to make the slightest sacrifice to help the greater good.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
Cuck-a-doodle-doo

https://twitter.com/MattOrtega/status/1259920903359680513

https://twitter.com/KFaulders/status/1259921095710388228

Time will tell if COVID got its shot at the title - there were a loving shitton of unmasked people in the white house because wearing a mask makes you a girly-man.

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.

PeterCat posted:

Getting called a coward for staying inside. Again, having deployed to Afghanistan and Iraq, I'm comfortably with the concept of limiting my movements to a very small area. It's maddening to me that the American people are melting down at the thought of having to make the slightest sacrifice to help the greater good.

(editor's note: apparently "Tomi" is okay with caging sick people just like she's okay with caging asylum seekers and anyone darker than "solid white")

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
All of us who have served have had unpleasant times, some much more unpleasant than others (except Crab Dad). But we by and large understand getting sent somewhere that sucks, having limited movement and inhaling burning trash for months.

"Sitting on couch and drinking beer is destroying our country quicker than a war a patriot will get up and go back to work we have been shut down for 52 days what if a soldier hide in his house for for 8 weeks what good would he be." - Jimmy on Twitter

Oh word? Wow pack it in we aren't patriots, guys. I'm sharing this because I've hit my top out on poo poo talking to vets because of being the "wrong type" and needed to vent.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

maffew buildings posted:

Oh word? Wow pack it in we aren't patriots, guys. I'm sharing this because I've hit my top out on poo poo talking to vets because of being the "wrong type" and needed to vent.

Yeah I'm taking a bit of a break from flaming the shitheads on Facebook over this garbage. It's funny how frothy they get when you use the "snowflake" rhetoric against them, and also how quickly they resort to making decorum arguments once you start mocking the conspiracy theories.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Ok here some feel good news of the (3) day(s ago)

https://twitter.com/TheJewishDream/status/1258826739855351808

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

https://twitter.com/davidsirota/status/1259937970565427206?s=20

quote:

During the 2020 Democratic primary, Joe Biden had to answer for his repeated attempts to work with Republicans to try to cut Social Security benefits. Biden responded by pretendinghe never tried to cut the program, and by insisting he would try to expand it as president. This prompted some of his defenders to wonder why Social Security was even an issue, when presumably the Democratic Party and Donald Trump himself have publicly insisted they would never dream of trying to slash one of the most popular social programs in history.

Fast forward to the present and you will now understand why Social Security continues to be a huge point of contention: It’s because some powerful people in the Democratic Party still do dream of normalizing the idea of cutting Social Security, and those folks are now getting a boost from Donald Trump’s administration.

This sordid little cautionary tale started last week. As lawmakers such as Bernie Sanders, Ed Markey and Kamala Harris were unveiling a proposal to give workers a $2,000 stipend during the coronavirus crisis, University of Pennsylvania professor Natasha Sarin countered with a research paper pushing an alternate idea: “Allowing workers to tap their Social Security wealth to finance consumption today.”

Instead of giving workers money in the same way the government is giving corporations trillions of dollars, or instead of vastly expanding unemployment benefits, Sarin and her cohorts want Americans to “borrow against their retirement benefits,” effectively turning Social Security into a reverse mortgage. This, they argue, “may well be superior to alternatives already legislated because it delivers relief to households that need it most.”

Echoing Biden’s own anti-deficit rhetoric when he pushed Social Security cuts, the researchers conclude: “In exchange for relatively small cuts in scheduled benefits, the government can send sizable checks to most households in a fiscally neutral way.”

Bold policies out of the Biden camp :eyeroll:

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~

This is extremely my poo poo

E/ wrong post

Radical 90s Wizard fucked around with this message at 21:25 on May 11, 2020

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
Those motherfuckers brave as gently caress

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

If it gets open carried banned I’ll laugh my rear end off.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

Riot Carol Danvers posted:

(editor's note: apparently "Tomi" is okay with caging sick people just like she's okay with caging asylum seekers and anyone darker than "solid white")

I can dig that post.

I mean poo poo, I spent weeks to months with zero outside world contact - no phone, no internet, no tv, no game consoles, and no gym. At the very most someone 'might' be able to send a 14 word or so censored message to me, and if it was about a close family member dying it would most likely be held back till we went into port.

Woofer
Mar 2, 2020

Even though it’s obvious and an unoriginal idea, I’ve been saying for a while that the quickest way to gun control reform would be to push to arm all black people.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

https://twitter.com/Havok73/status/1259951887547170816?s=20

This is an interesting take from the responses to that bookstore getting robbed.

"Well since they didn't call the cops and threaten retribution for the theft, they've opened themselves up to every criminal in the area who wants to crime because now they know they will suffer no repercussions"

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
https://twitter.com/oliverdarcy/status/1259956132967301121

https://twitter.com/christinawilkie/status/1259957411277877250

Donnie couldn't figure out if he wanted to be racist or sexist, picked both, and left.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

orange juche posted:

https://twitter.com/Havok73/status/1259951887547170816?s=20

This is an interesting take from the responses to that bookstore getting robbed.

"Well since they didn't call the cops and threaten retribution for the theft, they've opened themselves up to every criminal in the area who wants to crime because now they know they will suffer no repercussions"

These people have literally never had their poo poo robbed, guaranteed. I've had my car robbed twice, once while parked in my complex with stuff locked up inside(through the window) and once because I was an idiot kid and left my car unlocked in the highschool parking lot, both times the police where like "lol, we'll look for any camera footage, but chances are we aren't finding who did it"

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

I loving hate how he talks, you can feel the snark coming through the video clip.

"Well maybe that's a question you should ask...CHINA! :smugdon:"

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

Defenestrategy posted:

These people have literally never had their poo poo robbed, guaranteed. I've had my car robbed twice, once while parked in my complex with stuff locked up inside(through the window) and once because I was an idiot kid and left my car unlocked in the highschool parking lot, both times the police where like "lol, we'll look for any camera footage, but chances are we aren't finding who did it"

They've never been robbed because the criminals know they'd get the cops called on them!!!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u

Running from the lady reporters like he running from the draft office