Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
There’s a real palpable sense that none of the major players (director, screenwriter, lead actors) walked away from this thing thinking they’d made a good movie. It just radiates “sorry guys, we couldn’t land this thing. It was too hard to write ourselves out in the time allotted; we hope you all glean some enjoyment regardless.”

I don’t think JJ or Chris Terrio are blind enough that they looked at the final product and went “hell yeah, nailed it.”

General Dog fucked around with this message at 22:49 on May 10, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Solaris 2.0 posted:

TFA is the original sin of the sequel trilogy. TLJ and RoS just continued the downward slide.

Completely agreed.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

The only times when Force Awakens (a weak movie and a disastrous foundation for a trilogy) ever really felt alive and fun were when Daisiy Ridley and John Boyega were playing opposite each other, so of course they barely had any meaningful interaction for the last two-thirds of the trilogy.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️
A lot of you guys never read about how Boba Fett blows himself out of the sarlacc with some swiss army knife bullshit and if you don’t think that ain’t getting ripped off you ain’t living in the now dudes.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️
Actually people forget he was also every Clone Trooper. Since “what happened to all the clones?” Is never address he will probably play some washout clone trooper.

And that would own tbh.

Grandpa Palpatine
Dec 13, 2019

by vyelkin

Solaris 2.0 posted:

I also just watched “The Last Jedi” and it wasn’t just a bad Star Wars movie, it’s a bad movie period. I had no idea what the gently caress was going on, what the character motivations were, and the whole setup was nonsensical and inconsistent with the rest of the series.

It felt like Abrams was trying to create a new trilogy in one movie, but this movie was also just a rehash of all the other movies with no new ideas, and it was crammed full of fan service, call backs, and cringey one-liners.

Also RIP Rose sorry I guess FIN gets a new GF because the fans don’t like you?

As much poo poo as people (rightfully) give the prequels at least they had a mostly coherent plot, clearly defined character motivations, and the universe felt like Star Wars. To this day I can enjoy the prequels, silly as they are. I don’t think I can rewatch and enjoy this abomination of a sequel series.
So much potential and so wasted.

If anything Disney taking over Star Wars should make every fan send Lucas a big apology note for all the poo poo we’ve given him over the decades. Come back George, you’re our only hope :(

I feel like I should point out that you actually just watched "Rise of Skywalker" not TLJ (which is a good film with minor flaws)

Grandpa Palpatine
Dec 13, 2019

by vyelkin

dialhforhero posted:

Actually people forget he was also every Clone Trooper. Since “what happened to all the clones?” Is never address he will probably play some washout clone trooper.

And that would own tbh.

The problem is that all of those clones are in their 60s at the end of ROTJ and Boba Fett would be like Han's age.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

It's actually shocking that kid Han (or Lando) didn't show up in The Clone Wars.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

Detective No. 27 posted:

It's actually shocking that kid Han (or Lando) didn't show up in The Clone Wars.

Lando is in a few episodes of Rebels.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Solaris 2.0 posted:

So many possibilities could be had, it felt like the plot could go anywhere!

Instead JJ and Disney decided "ehh let's just do A New Hope again, but worse, and what if instead of a death star the New Order has a ....PLANET STAR. Also for whatever reason there's still a "resistance" because the New Republic can't be arsed to confront them?"
And instead of focusing on developing the film's new characters (Rey, Poe, Fin) the film spends way too much time reintroducing old ones who have gone back to...doing the exact same thing they were doing decades before? As if 0 character development had occurred in episodes 4,5,6?

In retrospect the fact that Leia is still a rebel General is some prime bullshit.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

Detective No. 27 posted:

Didn't Lucas want to have Han in Revenge of the Sith as a feral Tarzan child living with the Wookies?

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared

Grandpa Palpatine posted:

holy gently caress that would own unironically

i really wish they'd have done Shadows of the Empire instead of Solo

you could have set it between Empire and ROTJ or make a few changes to put it after ROTJ...

Having two or three movies set within the OT would not have sucked, honestly. I really liked Rogue One. Jumping ahead to another tweener movie like Shadows, or something to show what went wrong between ANH and ESB would have been pretty cool. I don't mind stories taking place in and around the known Empire vs. Rebels saga as long as it's interesting.

Ben Mendolsohn offered the idea of a series set within the Empire, and the struggle between the more bureaucratic and political true believers (ie - Krennic) vs. the 'old money' Old Republic holdovers who held virtually all the power. Not sure how viable it would be to attract a broad audience, but I'd watch the hell out of it. Problem is that I don't think a lot of other people would.

Although I do have high hopes for the Cassian Andor series, assuming Disney doesn't bail on it abruptly.

Grandpa Palpatine
Dec 13, 2019

by vyelkin

mycot posted:

In retrospect the fact that Leia is still a rebel General is some prime bullshit.

I actually didn't mind this, because humans in general hate change and tend to revert to their old ways.

I thought it was a nice little "development" that Han and Leia both made that mistake after their falling out. Meanwhile, Luke is the one who went through the existential crisis.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

By the end of 8 the table is set for the new generation to finally have their own movie but then you have old Lando taking his ship back, wearing his outfit from when he was in his 20s, and rambling about back in my day we bootstrapped our way to (what we now know was a completely hollow) victory. It's extremely boomer, but then again it's also extremely millennial that Rey's entire story are is about not becoming a homeowner until her parents, grandfather, and three metaphorical parental figures are all yeeted into oblivion

e: rey also spends two decades of her life living in squalor and danger accumulating a bunch of technical skills and then everyone is constantly doubting her credibility. nice

Ingmar terdman fucked around with this message at 17:20 on May 11, 2020

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

I actually didn't mind this, because humans in general hate change and tend to revert to their old ways.

I thought it was a nice little "development" that Han and Leia both made that mistake after their falling out. Meanwhile, Luke is the one who went through the existential crisis.

Ah yes that classic narrative arc that we know and love from children’s stories: no one has the capacity for change and all progress is fleeting. Fun stuff!

It’s astonishing how bad these movies are.

OctoberCountry
Oct 9, 2012

I feel like I should point out that you actually just watched "Rise of Skywalker" not TLJ (which is a good film with minor flaws)

Its flaws are more than minor but I still like it and it's the only sequel movie that actually tries to anything remotely interesting

Ingmar terdman posted:

By the end of 8 the table is set for the new generation to finally have their own movie but then you have old Lando taking his ship back, wearing his outfit from when he was in his 20s, and rambling about back in my day we bootstrapped our way to (what we now know was a completely hollow) victory. It's extremely boomer, but then again it's also extremely millennial that Rey's entire story are is about not becoming a homeowner until her parents, grandfather, and three metaphorical parental figures are all yeeted into oblivion

e: rey also spends two decades of her life living in squalor and danger accumulating a bunch of technical skills and then everyone is constantly doubting her credibility. nice

For better or worse, one of the things Johnson seemed most interested in doing was setting up a third movie that couldn't possibly be a re-tread of RotJ but we all saw how that turned out

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

I actually agree of all the movies TLJ is the one I liked most because it at least tried to do something different and interesting with the franchise, even if it's ideas and execution were half-baked.

Like I said before, why do we have to keep bringing back all the old characters, villains, themes, and even plot points (Desert Planet! Emperor! Death Planet Death Star ! Resistance! Millennium Falcon! Skywalkers!) instead of doing something different and interesting with this franchise.
The Mandalorian proves audiences are willing to watching something that is different, it just has to be good and Disney doesn't seem to understand that.

My hot take is I wish Johnson was able to direct RoS but the toxic Star Wars fanbase would have rioted, and instead Disney told Abrams "undo TLJ, but also fan service this movie up to bring the fans back" and we get what is the worst film in the entire franchise.

Then again by not doing Star Wars, Johnson was able to make Knives Out which was the most fun I had watching a movie last year so I consider that a win.

Grandpa Palpatine
Dec 13, 2019

by vyelkin

Solaris 2.0 posted:

My hot take is I wish Johnson was able to direct RoS but the toxic Star Wars fanbase would have rioted, and instead Disney told Abrams "undo TLJ, but also fan service this movie up to bring the fans back" and we get what is the worst film in the entire franchise.

This isn't a "hot take." It means you are completely sane.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

When trevorrow got canned I was really hoping for Rian to direct 9, but I guess he was attached to his own trilogy back then. Lol to that being memory holed but also good for Rian on being the only young director to survive star wars with a career. The cartoon man with the wolf fetish and the hats is on track to becoming the chief creative at lucasfilm in a few years

Chill Penguin
Jan 10, 2004

you know korky buchek?

Ingmar terdman posted:

When trevorrow got canned I was really hoping for Rian to direct 9, but I guess he was attached to his own trilogy back then. Lol to that being memory holed but also good for Rian on being the only young director to survive star wars with a career. The cartoon man with the wolf fetish and the hats is on track to becoming the chief creative at lucasfilm in a few years

Inshallah

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Solaris 2.0 posted:

I actually agree of all the movies TLJ is the one I liked most because it at least tried to do something different and interesting with the franchise, even if it's ideas and execution were half-baked.

Like I said before, why do we have to keep bringing back all the old characters, villains, themes, and even plot points (Desert Planet! Emperor! Death Planet Death Star ! Resistance! Millennium Falcon! Skywalkers!) instead of doing something different and interesting with this franchise.
The Mandalorian proves audiences are willing to watching something that is different, it just has to be good and Disney doesn't seem to understand that.

Then again by not doing Star Wars, Johnson was able to make Knives Out which was the most fun I had watching a movie last year so I consider that a win.

Guess they wanted to bet on successful formula. And they did it on the most unimaginative lazy way

I just watched the last one these days too and was very disappointed. It was somewhat fun, but also incredibly mediocre and dont feels like a proper conclusion to that grand saga of 9 movies. In fact, it barely feels like a conclusion to its own trilogy

The whole new trilogy feels like a bad reboot of the original trilogy, except when it feels like a bad fanfic with all that fanservice

I do like most of the new characters: Ray, Finn, the pilot guy, they are all good. But nothing interesting was done with any of them

OctoberCountry
Oct 9, 2012

Ingmar terdman posted:

The cartoon man with the wolf fetish and the hats is on track to becoming the chief creative at lucasfilm in a few years

Lak Sivrak will finally get the respect he deserves

Grandpa Palpatine
Dec 13, 2019

by vyelkin
They could come back and do a fourth film of the ST to provide a better conclusion. It could happen with strong writing. Just saying...

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
Making a worthwhile episode 10 would be like choreographing a ballet that is performed on a stage covered in broken glass. It’s not possible to salvage it at this point.

Grandpa Palpatine
Dec 13, 2019

by vyelkin

Jewmanji posted:

Making a worthwhile episode 10 would be like choreographing a ballet that is performed on a stage covered in broken glass. It’s not possible to salvage it at this point.

Yea you'd have to do some unconventional poo poo like have Kylo re-appear wander the earth for 40 days or whatever (JESUS ANALOGY) but they literally had the Emperor already do that so who cares as long as it's good.

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.

They could come back and do a fourth film of the ST to provide a better conclusion. It could happen with strong writing. Just saying...

You need a whole new trilogy to attempt to justify whatever the gently caress happened in TROS.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

https://letterboxd.com/idiotbear/list/my-pitch-to-lucasfilm/

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

The sequel era well is poisoned, it'll be revisited in a generation unless the TV projects can manage to rehabilitate it earlier.

That said, I would give pretty good odds to JJ returning to "salvage" the old republic trilogy when that turns into a dumpster fire. Adam driver could be around though I doubt he wants to be disney plus'ed. Those are the only two principals who didn't burn their bridges on the way out

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

Oh god please no more JJ Abrams. Between his bland Star Trek movies and fan-service risk-opposed Sequel movies I am very much done with him.

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared
After posting about hypothetical movies earlier, I decided to rewatch RoS on Disney+. This movie is a more hyperactive mess than I remember from December.

It's completely indefensible, aside from a few cool moments. For the life of me, for as good as Star Wars TV has been since Disney, I can't fathom how iffy the movie side is.

On the plus side, Rogue One is awesome. Force Awakens is at least fun, if flawed. TLJ attempts to do very interesting things, but doesn't stick the landing. Then you reach the other end of the spectrum with TRoS, which is plotted out and paced like an action platformer video game. Seriously, they start a level and make some headway. Moment of words, then bad guys! Minor boss fight, then they're awarded with the path to the next level and the object they sought. Repeat a bunch of times until the final boss and cutscene.

Oh, and Solo happened. I always have to remind myself that movie even exists because it's so unremarkable. Young Lando is the only truly redeeming factor.

And my last note on TRoS - The "bloodline" poo poo aggravates me as much, if not more, than midichlorians when it comes to the Force. It seems to contradict so much, and fails to make sense. If heritage matters so much, then how did Ezra and Kanan become so strong? Or the dude in the Fallen Order (forgot his name)? I don't remember how closely the Emperor's plot mirrored Shattered Empire from the old comics, but it definitely paralleled Voldemort and horcruxes very closely. Or maybe this movie randomly decided to go with wizarding bloodlines as an interpretation. Rey is a LeStrange turned good, and Kylo is a Dumbledore gone bad, then good again.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Surely the next episode of Sherlock will make everything better.

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared

No Mods No Masters posted:

The sequel era well is poisoned, it'll be revisited in a generation unless the TV projects can manage to rehabilitate it earlier.

That said, I would give pretty good odds to JJ returning to "salvage" the old republic trilogy when that turns into a dumpster fire. Adam driver could be around though I doubt he wants to be disney plus'ed. Those are the only two principals who didn't burn their bridges on the way out

Abrams signed an exclusive deal with WarnerMedia eight months ago, so he won't be back on Disney properties for quite a while. He'll be developing stuff for HBO Max for the foreseeable future. Maybe he can take over Fantastic Beasts, because I sincerely doubt he could wreck that franchise any more than the second movie did.

OctoberCountry
Oct 9, 2012

Doronin posted:

And my last note on TRoS - The "bloodline" poo poo aggravates me as much, if not more, than midichlorians when it comes to the Force. It seems to contradict so much, and fails to make sense. If heritage matters so much, then how did Ezra and Kanan become so strong? Or the dude in the Fallen Order (forgot his name)? I don't remember how closely the Emperor's plot mirrored Shattered Empire from the old comics, but it definitely paralleled Voldemort and horcruxes very closely. Or maybe this movie randomly decided to go with wizarding bloodlines as an interpretation. Rey is a LeStrange turned good, and Kylo is a Dumbledore gone bad, then good again.

I've said it before but it's hard not to read Rise of Skywalker as Abrams' nepotism apologia

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

The skywalker saga is about one dude's wild journey of manipulating a family of shaggy haired space bumpkins into using their freakish powers to bring about space fascism, only to be shot in the face with lightning by his own granddaughter who decides being a space bumpkin is cool. Other mutants such as Broom Kid and Kit Fisto appear throughout (1,360 minutes, five bags of popcorn two bags cups of soda)

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
What are we talking about? The original films clearly established that force sensitivity is at least partially inherited. The midichlorians didn’t “retcon” anything. I’ve memory wiped TROS from my memory so I can’t comment on anything in that movie.

Grandpa Palpatine
Dec 13, 2019

by vyelkin

Doronin posted:

Abrams signed an exclusive deal with WarnerMedia eight months ago, so he won't be back on Disney properties for quite a while. He'll be developing stuff for HBO Max for the foreseeable future. Maybe he can take over Fantastic Beasts, because I sincerely doubt he could wreck that franchise any more than the second movie did.

Good news actually: he's working with Jordan Peele...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LWEASasO-tI

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared

OctoberCountry posted:

I've said it before but it's hard not to read Rise of Skywalker as Abrams' nepotism apologia

I can definitely see that.

The only possible counterpoint I could make to it is that Rian Johnson messed up whatever plan Disney had for Sheev to come back, based on a bunch of stuff from books and comics. It was pretty clear back in 2015 from the Aftermath Trilogy that there was some deep seeded contingencies to resurrect Palpatine in some way. Then they more or less confirmed that Palpatine made Anakin happen by manipulating midichlorians. So at the risk of making TRoS make somewhat more sense, Abrams may have had a studio mandate to make Palps come back and complete the absurd long game of selective breeding they had been setting up for 3-4 years.

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared

Good news actually: he's working with Jordan Peele...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LWEASasO-tI

Well I'll be drat. That looks pretty interesting!

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Doronin posted:

I can definitely see that.

The only possible counterpoint I could make to it is that Rian Johnson messed up whatever plan Disney had for Sheev to come back, based on a bunch of stuff from books and comics. It was pretty clear back in 2015 from the Aftermath Trilogy that there was some deep seeded contingencies to resurrect Palpatine in some way. Then they more or less confirmed that Palpatine made Anakin happen by manipulating midichlorians. So at the risk of making TRoS make somewhat more sense, Abrams may have had a studio mandate to make Palps come back and complete the absurd long game of selective breeding they had been setting up for 3-4 years.

Everything I’ve read makes it sound like the literal, bodily return of Palpatine in ROS was a very late development.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

The villain who should've come back from the dead in The Rise of Skywalker is Snoke.