Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice
USPOL Spring: FRPOL Spring (1940)

EDIT: Worst snipe ever french dog tax:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I love these because they are clearly being done by one of the campaign people, and they always say the exact same things

Seven Hundred Bee
Nov 1, 2006

this quote does not show what you are claiming. you've asserted, repeatedly, that the French military was not defeated and that significant parts of the French government actively wanted to be a client state of Nazi Germany. please provide evidence of this. not that France preferred to be a client state under Germany (and retain some independence) and stop fighting than be a client state under England and continue fighting when presented with those two choices.

ps: at this point everyone believed that england had also lost the war, including england.

Seven Hundred Bee fucked around with this message at 20:22 on May 11, 2020

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Someone at his presser today should ask him to name any one of these people and see if he even knows who they are.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Goddamn

https://mobile.twitter.com/GovernorTomWolf/status/1259885390212841472
https://mobile.twitter.com/GovernorTomWolf/status/1259885391890518019
https://mobile.twitter.com/GovernorTomWolf/status/1259885393392082945
https://mobile.twitter.com/GovernorTomWolf/status/1259885394788745216

tokyo reject
Jun 12, 2019

when she's tryin to slide into your dm's but you wanna talk about a better america

COVID-19 posted:

Who are these voters that like Biden? I’m curious what kind of Democrat or (disaffected Republican) you think would eagerly pull the lever for someone who was buddies with Strom Thurmond and was clamoring to go to war with Iraq for years before 9/11.

Remind me- did Obama’s amazing popularity help the Democrats at all in keeping the senate and the house? Or did the Dems completely lose mostly every congressional seat that was up for grabs?

In other words, if Obama was truly popular, then why did the Dems lose power in government for 8+ years after he was elected?

I mean, this argument seems to also work for making the point of "Obama was so popular as a centrist Dem icon/executive/leader that even though Democrats lost at every other level of government (which the reasons behind are a whole in depth discussion that gets unpacked here/CSPAM all the time) he remained popular and easily electable, and people are nostalgic for that as seen by his current approval ratings post-Presidency."

I'm not saying I can speak on this authoritatively one way or the other, but as a layman that was my initial reaction to your point. I can't imagine I'm the only poster here who has tons of centrist Dem acquaintances/co-workers who would crawl over hot coals to vote for Obama in 2020 if they could. I mean I was a Bernie guy hook line and sinker, and I have lots of problems with Obama - but I don't fuckin' hate the guy by any stretch, he did a lot of good and O-care saved my life twice - and I think this is a huge net positive for Biden's prospects in terms of voter turnout at the ballot box.

Obama isn't out here promising "hope and change" in a progressive sense, he's gonna be out there calling for a "return to normal/values/etc" with the Obama-public-speaking-lord-persona twist. He's going to make people feel safe. People are going to see "familiar" in Obama. And even a lot of progressives to the left of Obama are going to feel those same sentiments towards him as he's out there on the trail for Biden, because poo poo is loving real right now. And just absolutely, unbelievably, - just LOL to the end of the universe and back - Trump is out there as recent as TODAY trying to make the 2020 election a contrast between him and Obama. So even if you're a progressive that really has a sour taste about Obama, you're going to have loving Trump and the whole GOP spin machine falling in line to be (again, I can't stop laughing that this is real, god it feels nice to actually laugh at something breaking in our favor for once even if it's not perfect) making 2020 a referendum on OBAMA of all people.

When he could just be out there dunking on Biden over legitimate poo poo that hammers home the point over and over "Biden is NOT Obama".

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Good, I appreciate a Dem with some actual political balls

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

you quoted two sentences of a wikipedia page. which would be bad enough, but one of those two sentences decisively refutes your position ("fusion with a corpse") and makes clear the other does as well

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

evilweasel posted:

you are discussing a well-known subject with such a complete lack of any actual knowledge that it's really difficult to discuss where on earth to begin

suffice to say that the theory you are peddling here makes intelligent design look well-researched and well-supported by mainstream thought, and nobody at all should be reading this and thinking "huh i didn't know that": you, reader, did not know any of this stuff because it's complete ahistorical nonsense

the french army was broken and beaten when they surrendered, that's why they surrendered. "aha, i see the weakness in the german lines, which we could smash into and win the war - but don't, we secretly want to lose the war and forced into a humiliating surrender!" was, uh, not a thing that happened at all

that's because I never said what you claimed I said, that stuff you put in quotes is just made-up

the German generals themselves wrote that it was incredible luck that their armored forces weren't cut off and destroyed by a counter-attack

I never said there was a conspiracy of French politicians who knew what to do and didn't do it, I said that the French government was plagued by defeatism which lead to paralysis, especially from a reactionary contingent that thought this Hitler guy was putting Germany back on track and openly said they preferred being a Nazi province to an ally of Great Britain

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Do we really need to keep this WWII derail going

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

evilweasel posted:

you quoted two sentences of a wikipedia page. which would be bad enough, but one of those two sentences decisively refutes your position ("fusion with a corpse") and makes clear the other does as well

They called it fusion with a corpse because they believed liberal democracy was on its way out, and the British Empire would shortly be defeated in turn, they wanted to be a Nazi province so they start making the French great again

Seven Hundred Bee
Nov 1, 2006

VitalSigns posted:

that's because I never said what you claimed I said, that stuff you put in quotes is just made-up

the German generals themselves wrote that it was incredible luck that their armored forces weren't cut off and destroyed by a counter-attack

I never said there was a conspiracy of French politicians who knew what to do and didn't do it, I said that the French government was plagued by defeatism which lead to paralysis, especially from a reactionary contingent that thought this Hitler guy was putting Germany back on track and openly said they preferred being a Nazi province to an ally of Great Britain

the quote you linked doesn't say that, and some random German General's memoir doesn't mean anything because the french army wasn't in a position to counter attack because it had ceased to exist as an effective force outside of a number of small units

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

I mean Disney did something like this with Star Wars, having a big giant Emperor Palpatine hologram drop a plot point to the last Star Wars movie inside Fortnite, which the movie then treats like you saw it—in Fortnite—and never bothers to explain it because hey you play Fortnite, right bro?

Also, to be completely fair here, the Obama campaign did poo poo like this in 2008 and 2012. They bought digital ad space in sports and racing video games so if you were playing like, say Forza 4 on Xbox Live or something, there was a chance you’d see Obama 2012 ads lining the race track or on giant billboards. So poo poo like this has precedent and possibly works.

Lol Fortnight tho

Seven Hundred Bee
Nov 1, 2006

VitalSigns posted:

They called it fusion with a corpse because they believed liberal democracy was on its way out, and the British Empire would shortly be defeated in turn, they wanted to be a Nazi province so they start making the French great again

my last reply, but jesus this post is so stupid. they called it a "fusion with a corpse" because they - ALONG WITH EVERYONE ELSE - thought that England was also defeated and would be trying to approach Germany for a separate peace. this has nothing to do with England's politics (which was not "liberal democracy'!).

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
Please take the world war 2 debate to a directly relevant thread.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

The Onion called. They want their headline back.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

edit: whoops saw fos's post

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
But we're still the best dressed
Will holo Biden floss though?

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010
On the one hand, Obama got elected. On the other, Rise of Skywalker was terrible. It probably comes down to one group launching a broad, multimedia campaign and the other producing Fortnite specific content and banking too much on one dramatic advertising move when really you a kind of broader spread.

To conclude, Vichy France was a land of contrasts.

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Is your refrigerator running?

The SituAsian posted:

Will holo Biden floss though?

That is between him and his dentist!

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Morrow posted:

On the one hand, Obama got elected. On the other, Rise of Skywalker was terrible. It probably comes down to one group launching a broad, multimedia campaign and the other producing Fortnite specific content and banking too much on one dramatic advertising move when really you a kind of broader spread.

To conclude, Vichy France was a land of contrasts.

Hillary should have bought ad space in Pokemon Go and have Nintendo literally change the app to Pokemon Go To The Polls for a week and see what happened.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Also I just realized the headline says “Fortnite-style hologram” not something that’s going to be in Fortnite itself. They’re just gonna truck around a weird Holo Biden to places in lieu of Actual Biden, only he’s gonna be like 30 feet tall and blue or something.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

nine-gear crow posted:

Also I just realized the headline says “Fortnite-style hologram” not something that’s going to be in Fortnite itself. They’re just gonna truck around a weird Holo Biden to places in lieu of Actual Biden, only he’s gonna be like 30 feet tall and blue or something.

just when the old man screaming incoherently in the sky meme had finally died down

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

https://twitter.com/Yamiche/status/1259925183000870914

About two months too late

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

luxury handset posted:

just when the old man screaming incoherently in the sky meme had finally died down

If a giant Joe Biden started randomly screaming at the sky and whipping a cowboy hat around it would actually make him more likeable.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything
Kaijoe Biden.

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

FlamingLiberal posted:

Good, I appreciate a Dem with some actual political balls

Governor Wolf's threat is pretty scary to the places that are thinking of opening early as they make up the rancid wasteland of PA between Pittsburgh and Philly, and coming from a semi-rural community out there they really need the money.

Haha, goddamn. Every loving time that orange shitheel takes a stand he backs down like a wimp. Give yourself the Corona to show us all how it's not so bad, Donnie!

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan
"fornite and star wars are for children" i sniff adultishly

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

nine-gear crow posted:

Meatball
Mar 2, 2003

That's a Spicy Meatball

Pillbug

"Its safe to go back to work! You don't need masks!" *puts on mask to go to work*

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Doctor Malarkey

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Gros Tarla
Dec 30, 2008

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Someone at his presser today should ask him to name any one of these people and see if he even knows who they are.

Honestly, they should just ask him to comment on anti-Obama quotes from made up names and see what praise he comes up with.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Sorry FoolofSound: edited post

What is the over under on Trump declaring war on Obama and all blue states today?

TulliusCicero fucked around with this message at 21:02 on May 11, 2020

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

As a pennsylvanian, I've been EXTREMELY happy with how Wolf has handled this

Social Studies 3rd Period
Oct 31, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Meanwhile,

https://twitter.com/HowardMortman/status/1259935966598438913

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

evilweasel posted:

this was a stupid headline by gizmodo

what happened was they reached a confidential settlement, the motion to dismiss the case is not him tucking his tail and running away (the settlement might be, but we don't know)

but the article says that damore made the request to the judge

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Someone please replace TESTING with DYING tia

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

oh hey i think that box in the background is one of the empty boxes from the pence van photo op

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IBroughttheFunk
Sep 28, 2012

So what's this gonna be, just a big boast-session from President Piss that we are doing the bestest job of anyone with testing, everyone is super jealous of our testing, and there is no need to criticize him because he's done the best job?