Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp
Just lol if you think the rule of law exists as anything other than a tool in the service of fascist/capitalist oppressors, just lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

Nice piece of fish posted:

Just lol if you think the rule of law exists as anything other than a tool in the service of fascist/capitalist oppressors, just lmao

Hey now the Magna Carta was a step in the right direction.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp
That's a gold fringe belief

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Any of the Texas goons stop posting recently?

sadly not an attorney, just an admin

Vox Nihili fucked around with this message at 20:16 on May 11, 2020

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.
Lmao we use T&K in Texas.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
Last time I saw that post it was supposedly from a woman.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

blarzgh posted:

https://www.courthousenews.com/law-firm-worker-fired-after-posting-threat-against-face-mask-requirements/

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

blarzgh posted:

A good question. Given Texas's small size and population, as well as Texans' well known reputation for peaceableness, only one Texan at most could have ever said that.

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe
Sup Lawgoons

Last time I posted in this thread two months ago I was mulling my best options going forward on applying with a better-than-expected LSAT score. While I didn’t end up applying to every T14 in sight, I did expand beyond the university I work for and applied to all of my city’s part time programs. I’m glad I did, because I ended up receiving a full-ride from a considerably better school than the one I work for, and I’m starting with an early-start summer class in Crim Law this month.

So while my original plan was just to use the JD as a credential in the law library world, I’m starting to lean more toward going into practice, but it’ll be a long four years to finalize that decision. If nothing else, if I’m going to eat up such a huge share of my classmates’ tuition, I might as well put something back into the world and go into some form of public interest practice.

I fully expect a roasting for that line of thinking.

Anyway, I’m doing my preliminary readings before the class begins and already have about 30 pages of notes on typed up, which may or may not be a sustainable pace, though I’m not feeling too stressed about it.

This survey on law concepts book they assigned has a bonkers chapter on legal economics heavily focused on the Caose theorem, which is absolute upside-down moral logic world. Do any jurisdictions actually use market efficiency as a basis for a theory of liability, or is that just Randian jerkoff fantasizing?

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Flip Yr Wig posted:

This survey on law concepts book they assigned has a bonkers chapter on legal economics heavily focused on the Caose theorem, which is absolute upside-down moral logic world. Do any jurisdictions actually use market efficiency as a basis for a theory of liability, or is that just Randian jerkoff fantasizing?

please tell me you're not at ASSLAW

republican judges are both lawyers, and thus famously bad at math and thus tempted towards the "look, the no-calculus econ!", and selected precisely because they have been hoodwinked by conservative econ 101 nonsense

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe

evilweasel posted:

please tell me you're not at ASSLAW

republican judges are both lawyers, and thus famously bad at math and thus tempted towards the "look, the no-calculus econ!", and selected precisely because they have been hoodwinked by conservative econ 101 nonsense

No, no.

The book is Law School Without Fear, which is primarily about advice for 1Ls and giving general introductions to key legal concepts. The authors probably have a pretty right wing bias, but it's not necessarily clear throughout the rest of the book. I'm going to give the professor the benefit of the doubt and assume he wasn't assigning it because of the econ law stuff. I checked out some of his scholarship, and if nothing else, he seems to be in favor of mass torts, which I'll take as a sign that he's not a wingnut.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Flip Yr Wig posted:

So while my original plan was just to use the JD as a credential in the law library world, I’m starting to lean more toward going into practice, but it’ll be a long four years to finalize that decision. If nothing else, if I’m going to eat up such a huge share of my classmates’ tuition, I might as well put something back into the world and go into some form of public interest practice.

You don't owe your classmates or your institution anything. The whole reason the school gave you a full ride is to improve their own LSAT and GPA numbers. If anything they owe you for attending, which is why they're giving you a scholarship in the first place. Give yourself time to figure out what you really want to do and make the decision that best suits your own goals and needs. Talk to some public interest attorneys and maybe some other attorneys and see what their lives are like.

Fuzzie Dunlop
Apr 14, 2013

Flip Yr Wig posted:

I’m glad I did, because I ended up receiving a full-ride from a considerably better school than the one I work for, and I’m starting with an early-start summer class in Crim Law this month.

Congrats on the full ride! Now you just need to make sure you don't gently caress this up by-

Flip Yr Wig posted:

I might as well put something back into the world and go into some form of public interest practice.

Oh no....

Seriously though, I'd let other stuff like enjoying the work and comfortable pay dictate your job over some need to repay society over the scholarship. But like you said, you have 4 years to figure that out.

Don't feel indebted by the scholarship. It's a business transaction. You're trading you're high score stats to the school for tuition and giving up the opportunity to go to a better ranked school. They're getting what they want out of you and they aren't just giving out money because they're nice.

Also, you're working too hard already and taking too many notes, but you're a library type so that might just be what works for you.

Anyway, congrats! You'll be realizing how huge the full ride is for the next 15+ years in many different ways. Unfortunately you'll be realizing it as many of your classmates are hamstrung by debt, but it is what it is. Don't feel bad. It's a business and you earned it, or at least we're smart enough to make the system work for you.

Fuzzie Dunlop fucked around with this message at 23:26 on May 11, 2020

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Flip Yr Wig posted:

No, no.

The book is Law School Without Fear, which is primarily about advice for 1Ls and giving general introductions to key legal concepts. The authors probably have a pretty right wing bias, but it's not necessarily clear throughout the rest of the book. I'm going to give the professor the benefit of the doubt and assume he wasn't assigning it because of the econ law stuff. I checked out some of his scholarship, and if nothing else, he seems to be in favor of mass torts, which I'll take as a sign that he's not a wingnut.

ahh good

well the other thing to keep in mind is that you have no idea what you're looking for when you take notes, so if you want to do the reading great but all the notes you take to get a jump on the class year will be mostly useless when you actually get there

the coase theorem is the "assume no air resistance, all masses are perfect spheres, no friction, etc" of economics and law except the assumption of zero transaction costs is even more ludicrously at odds with reality than assuming away friction

evilweasel fucked around with this message at 23:12 on May 11, 2020

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe

Vox Nihili posted:

You don't owe your classmates or your institution anything. The whole reason the school gave you a full ride is to improve their own LSAT and GPA numbers. If anything they owe you for attending, which is why they're giving you a scholarship in the first place. Give yourself time to figure out what you really want to do and make the decision that best suits your own goals and needs. Talk to some public interest attorneys and maybe some other attorneys and see what their lives are like.

Fuzzie Dunlop posted:

Don't feel indebted by the scholarship. It's a business transaction. You're trading you're high score stats to the school for tuition and giving up the opportunity to go to a better ranked school. They're getting what they want out of you and they aren't just giving out money because they're nice.

Yeah, I don't actually think that's a sufficient reason to go into public interest law, but it's certainly my main area of interest. If I'm not going to be paying off debt, that makes it that much more viable. Of course, odds are I do an externship at the public defender's office and feel like taking mental bleach bath, so I'm not rushing into any decisions.

Fuzzie Dunlop posted:

Also, you're working to hard already and taking too many notes, , but you're a library type so that might just be what works for you.

evilweasel posted:

well the other thing to keep in mind is that you have no idea what you're looking for when you take notes, so if you want to do the reading great but all the notes you take to get a jump on the class year will be mostly useless when you actually get there

I'm in this weird position where I have plenty of time on my hands and weeks to digest the assigned readings, so I'm just going ham on the notes. It might be helpful for digesting the material, but another part of it is that I'm enjoying messing around with getting really organized in Word. But I know that I need to be mindful of the fact that once I'm balancing multiple 1L courses, I'll have to be a lot more strategic with my use of time.

evilweasel posted:

the coase theorem is the "assume no air resistance, all masses are perfect spheres, no friction, etc" of economics and law except the assumption of zero transaction costs is even more ludicrously at odds with reality than assuming away friction

I felt like I was going insane reading that poo poo. "Assume a Hobbesian nightmare where nobody has recourse to law. Also, assume people won't just devolve into feuding. Then, let's take this principle where the only concern is the maximizing the efficiency of extortion and apply it to every type of dispute resolution." Wild, wild stuff.

Bushido Brown
Mar 30, 2011

Maybe my education was backwards, but even the conservative econ PhD who taught us contracts pushed that the takeaway we should have from the Coase Theorum isn't that transaction cost free worlds exist, but rather that because there are often (high) transaction costs (us) initial allocation of rights is very important.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

Flip Yr Wig posted:

I'm in this weird position where I have plenty of time on my hands and weeks to digest the assigned readings, so I'm just going ham on the notes. It might be helpful for digesting the material, but another part of it is that I'm enjoying messing around with getting really organized in Word. But I know that I need to be mindful of the fact that once I'm balancing multiple 1L courses, I'll have to be a lot more strategic with my use of time.

I'm going to relate to you something that I wish someone had related to me about law school and that's this:

The way most law schools are taught is completely rear end-backwards where they teach legal concepts as building blocks through cases because they want you to learn how to read cases.

Well, that's stupid.

Most cases are reactions to something stupid happening and us trying to reason out what makes sense in the context of practicality and fairness and precedent.

Ultimately, most cases boil down to:

1) What happened;
2) What are the rules in place;
3) How do we apply them; and
4) Why?

God, you couldn't loving get me to work in a law library dealing with pro se parties, gently caress.

Fuzzie Dunlop
Apr 14, 2013

Flip Yr Wig posted:

Yeah, I don't actually think that's a sufficient reason to go into public interest law, but it's certainly my main area of interest. If I'm not going to be paying off debt, that makes it that much more viable. Of course, odds are I do an externship at the public defender's office and feel like taking mental bleach bath, so I'm not rushing into any decisions.

Also, you should do whatever you can to get a Big Law Summer Associate position. Even from a lower ranked or part-time program you can (pre-COVID crash) get something if you're top 10%ish. It'd probably be between year 3 and 4 for you. Call in your favors at work to see if you can take a leave for the 12 weeks and make bank and go to free social events for practically no work. Do the summer associate thing even if you don't want to end up in Big Law.

But if you're thinking of careers outside the library, Big Law with no debt is worth considering. Even if it's not your cup of tea, the job is a lot easier to handle when you don't NEED the money. Knowing you can walk at any time having just made 2-3x your annual salary in any other job is a pretty good stress reliever.

disjoe
Feb 18, 2011

Look Sir Droids posted:

Lmao we use T&K in Texas.

I work across from TK a lot and in my experience they’re good people. Fairly chill, can be economical when needed.

Don’t know anything about the political environment there though.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

disjoe posted:

I work across from TK a lot and in my experience they’re good people. Fairly chill, can be economical when needed.

Don’t know anything about the political environment there though.

Oh, their lawyers are fine. I don't hold them accountable for admin staff. It's not their fault if they're in Texas and have some MAGA IT guy. Bound to happen.

Meatbag Esq.
May 3, 2006

Hmm which internet meme should go here again?

Look Sir Droids posted:

Oh, their lawyers are fine. I don't hold them accountable for admin staff. It's not their fault if they're in Texas and have some MAGA IT guy. Bound to happen.

Also, by all accounts, they deserve credit for their response.

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

SCALIA: Stephen, I've heard that speed has something to do with it.

BREYER: Speed has everything to do with it.
My experience with big law attorneys is either
1) they won’t leave me the gently caress alone ever, everything has to be done/responded to immediately; or
2) I don’t exist in their world

disjoe
Feb 18, 2011

We’re not all bad but some of us don’t use “as soon as possible” as judiciously as we should.

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
i like being in court with big law lawyers because they have that chef's kiss mix of: i) wildly inflated self regard; and ii) not actually having that much courtroom experience

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
if sending a bunch of terse, supercilious correspondence won cases certain ones would have a 100% win rate though

disjoe
Feb 18, 2011

terrorist ambulance posted:

terse, supercilious correspondence

Thanks

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020
who has got two thumbs and just finished law school?!? This guy.

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

SCALIA: Stephen, I've heard that speed has something to do with it.

BREYER: Speed has everything to do with it.

Grip it and rip it posted:

Condolences

Eminent Domain
Sep 23, 2007

Go back.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Yeah but really, what's the cost/benefit to opposable thumbs. Probably better off without them.

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020
well taking the bar this year should be interesting. Colorado insists that they absolutely will be having the bar on time, though the Supreme Court just instituted a rule that would let new graduates practice under a supervising attorney if the exam is delayed.

Gonna be nice to get back to earning money, even if it is just a public defender salary. Daddy needs some new suits.

Toona the Cat
Jun 9, 2004

The Greatest

well taking the bar this year should be interesting. Colorado insists that they absolutely will be having the bar on time, though the Supreme Court just instituted a rule that would let new graduates practice under a supervising attorney if the exam is delayed.

Gonna be nice to get back to earning money, even if it is just a public defender salary. Daddy needs some new suits.

The PD Office I worked in was entirely outfitted by Jos. A. Banks 3 for 1 sales.

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

Congrats! We are always hiring in Alaska government jobs!

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Toona the Cat posted:

The PD Office I worked in was entirely outfitted by Jos. A. Banks 3 for 1 sales.

I bought 3 suits when I first started law school. I didn't realize how much weight I had put on drinking my last year in the navy. I've slimmed down significantly since then and couldn't fit into any of them when I graduated. I put them on and it looked like I was wearing my dad's suits. I ended up giving them all away. I'm in a t-shirt in the office right now, though, so no harm no foul.

One of my favorite suits is still one I got made in Hong Kong in 2007 for $30 or so.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

Anybody listening to the SCOTUS oral argument? Is :kav: putting the fix in with his questions?

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

terrorist ambulance posted:

i like being in court with big law lawyers because they have that chef's kiss mix of: i) wildly inflated self regard; and ii) not actually having that much courtroom experience

A couple years ago I was at a park downtown with my kid, and there was a dude with his and we got to chatting. he was a biglaw associate who'd been practicing about as long as me (7-8 years at that point) and he beamed with pride as he told me that he, for the first time ever, got to sit First Chair at a deposition that week, and would get to sit Second Chair at the upcoming trial!

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group

blarzgh posted:

A couple years ago I was at a park downtown with my kid, and there was a dude with his and we got to chatting. he was a biglaw associate who'd been practicing about as long as me (7-8 years at that point) and he beamed with pride as he told me that he, for the first time ever, got to sit First Chair at a deposition that week, and would get to sit Second Chair at the upcoming trial!

I didn't get offered by the firm I summered at but within a year of practice I'd gotten more courtroom experience than every associate there

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

Look Sir Droids posted:

Anybody listening to the SCOTUS oral argument? Is :kav: putting the fix in with his questions?

https://twitter.com/Popehat/status/1260215157382246400

Also:
https://twitter.com/DHBerman/status/1260237805831282690

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group

There is no way Roberts goes for Trump on this one. I'd guess Gorsuch won't go for it either.

Bet anything that Alito will write an absolutely terrible opinion, even by his standards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

Lol banking on Roberts to do the right thing.