Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

drgitlin posted:

There's the Eclipse Cross, which was so horribly mediocre and old-feeling that I told Mitsubishi I wasn't going to write the review after driving one for a week because it would feel too much like punching down.

:holymoley:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

drgitlin posted:

There's the Eclipse Cross, which was so horribly mediocre and old-feeling that I told Mitsubishi I wasn't going to write the review after driving one for a week because it would feel too much like punching down.

They cannot possibly sell many of these. I'm guessing that you've driven the Outlander PHEV at some point, which is years behind every other hybrid crossover in every way?

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye
Is it $3,000 worse than the $3,000 more expensive Rogue? I thought people bought tons of those just because it was a cheap CUV.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

i own every Bionicle posted:

Is it $3,000 worse than the $3,000 more expensive Rogue? I thought people bought tons of those just because it was a cheap CUV.

yea, it is

it's a rental car special in the grandest traditions

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Twerk from Home posted:

They cannot possibly sell many of these. I'm guessing that you've driven the Outlander PHEV at some point, which is years behind every other hybrid crossover in every way?

That's in it's own niche though, there aren't any other plugins anywhere near that price range so at least it has a reason to exist. Unlike the ASX and regular Outlander.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

Twerk from Home posted:

Yes. One of the biggest Musk fanboys/Tesla trolls in the Ars comment section drives one of those and I took perverse delight in pointing out how bad it was when I reviewed that one.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

drgitlin posted:

Yes. One of the biggest Musk fanboys/Tesla trolls in the Ars comment section drives one of those and I took perverse delight in pointing out how bad it was when I reviewed that one.

and on that note,

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1259945593805221891

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Curb your enthusiasm music

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

dissss posted:

That's in it's own niche though, there aren't any other plugins anywhere near that price range so at least it has a reason to exist. Unlike the ASX and regular Outlander.

I bought a PHEV Kia Niro, which I'm pretty drat happy with. $10k cheaper than an Outlander PHEV too.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

https://www.autoblog.com/2020/05/11/volvo-xc100-recharge-report/

quote:

The report says the XC100 Recharge is going to be based on the next-gen XC90, so expect a chopped-roof version of that car. If Volvo follows the trends of its European competitors, it’ll feature similar design characteristics as the BMW X6 and Mercedes-Benz GLE Coupe. MT says that Volvo will be positioning the vehicle as a flagship branding statement, leaving the XC90 to be the utilitarian offering. Both vehicles are expected to be built on Volvo’s upcoming SPA2 architecture that is being designed to support both gas-engine and fully-electric vehicles.

A performance-electric luxury coupeSUV made by Chinese-owned Volvo seems like the ideal vehicle for our current historical moment.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

What a loving clown

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Gazoo Racing hot-hatch Corolla coming?
https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a32434970/toyota-gr-hot-hatch-usa-confirmed/
I like the Corolla hatch but I looked at it at an autoshow and they didn't mold the spare into the trunk floor or give it run-flat tires, so it takes up so much valuable space. Otherwise I'd consider it as my next car.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

Elon Musk is a perfect litmus for determining if the person you're engaging with is an imbecile incapable of critical thought

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
"What are you gonna do, arrest me?"
-Quote from Musk Arrested

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Charles posted:

I like the Corolla hatch but I looked at it at an autoshow and they didn't mold the spare into the trunk floor or give it run-flat tires, so it takes up so much valuable space. Otherwise I'd consider it as my next car.

The hybrid doesn't have a spare so actually has more boot space than the normal Corolla - quite different from old Toyota hybrids where you'd end up with zero boot space if you chose the hybrid option.

Still a small boot for the class though

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

mobby_6kl posted:

"What are you gonna do, arrest me?"
-Quote from Musk Arrested

he knows very well that he is never going to be legitimately arrested or face real consequences for his actions

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Charles posted:

If they put the AWD in it will be pretty great.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

JK Fresco posted:

What do they even make??

They tend to make SUVs that seem to be loved by most Australians because of the length of the new car warranty on them, and the Triton ute is selling in the bucketloads, once again due to the warranty period.

I think both Nissan and Mitsubishi at least in Australia have given up selling regular "passenger" cars like sedans and hatchbacks and just depending on commercial vehicles and SUVs to get them the sales.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

give him dozens of counts of attempted manslaughter like they might give a junky that was standing in front of a crowd when police opened fire

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Insane Twitter / Facebook is about to erupt

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk

You Am I posted:

They tend to make SUVs that seem to be loved by most Australians because of the length of the new car warranty on them, and the Triton ute is selling in the bucketloads, once again due to the warranty period.

I think both Nissan and Mitsubishi at least in Australia have given up selling regular "passenger" cars like sedans and hatchbacks and just depending on commercial vehicles and SUVs to get them the sales.

Outlander PHEVs seem to sell well here in NZ, as did the ancient Lancer, although they were help by being cheap as gently caress with excellent finance deals. Not sure about the Tritons, but I’ve seen a few Ute comparisons where the even the journos/hosts were surprised at how much they liked the Triton. IIRC the interior, standard features, ride and off road performance were all praised along with the price and warranty. Never driven one myself so just quoting.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

The Outlander PHEV occupied its own niche for a while and was pretty inexpensive for what it was so it makes sense that they sold. Why you would buy one now makes no sense to me.

Edit: mitsubishi has historically made good real SUVs so I'm not surprised the Triton is decent.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

The Outlander PHEV occupied its own niche for a while and was pretty inexpensive for what it was so it makes sense that they sold. Why you would buy one now makes no sense to me.

Edit: mitsubishi has historically made good real SUVs so I'm not surprised the Triton is decent.

Globally or in the US? It looks like 2019 was the first mode year here.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

It was in Europe for quite a while and it was first here MY2018, basically before you could get a PHEV Pacifica or a hybrid RAV-4/CR-V

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

The Outlander PHEV came out in 2013 in Japan which is why it feels so dated now.

It's still in a niche of its own though at least in my market (New Zealand) - the Niro and Kona are smaller and aren't 4wd, the RAV4 isn't a plugin and the euro options are like three times the price. I wouldn't buy a new one but am still considering buying one second hand.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Anyone else see the leaked 2021 S Class photos?

smooth jazz
May 13, 2010

dust and finger grease is the new hotness

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

Mr. Apollo posted:

MB actually thinks that's a step up from this:

lol

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Mr. Apollo posted:

Oh dear god. gently caress that poo poo

LibCrusher
Jan 6, 2019

by Fluffdaddy
The new 2021 Hyundai S-Klasse

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Mr. Apollo posted:

:lmao:

dk2m
May 6, 2009
Are...are the Germans cribbing Korean design languages now? My have the tables turned

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

The G80 is the better looking car by a long shot. It just needs a 600+ HP TT V8.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

dissss posted:

The Outlander PHEV came out in 2013 in Japan which is why it feels so dated now.

It's still in a niche of its own though at least in my market (New Zealand) - the Niro and Kona are smaller and aren't 4wd, the RAV4 isn't a plugin and the euro options are like three times the price. I wouldn't buy a new one but am still considering buying one second hand.

The Outlander PHEV is the third most popular used import in Finland, over a thousand last year. IIRC only the M-B C- and E-classes have greater numbers.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Hyundai is literally better looking then the latest Mercedes. What the hell

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

dk2m posted:

Are...are the Germans cribbing Korean design languages now? My have the tables turned

They're definitely copying Tesla's design language for the interior, which is much worse.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Mr. Apollo posted:

:allbuttons:

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

I don’t think giant grills and squinty headlights qualify as the design language of any one auto maker these days. That’s just how cars look now.

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

tablets on tablets on tablets

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

The complete lack of attempt at integrating the tablets into the interior surfaces is one of the worst things in new cars. I sort of accept that these screens all over the car are inevitably the future of interiors but what happened to all the sleek digital cockpits from concept cars? That center console is actually not too bad compared to all the ones that are just stuck on the dash and don't retract.

edit: example from the new Miata since I've been looking at them recently

Why is that screen there? Why isn't the center just redesigned to incorporate it? I guess it's to keep the lines of the dash going across the whole car for aesthetics but I can't believe so many car designers are just shrugging and sticking a tablet on top. At least some of them go down, but I know some cars only will when the car is off.

Ror fucked around with this message at 08:37 on May 13, 2020