Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

Agents are GO! posted:

I loved that ordinator actually gave you a use for them.

so does Wintersun if you worship The Old Ways!

e: hyena tax

Rainbow Knight fucked around with this message at 06:19 on May 11, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Are there any good "Wizard Tower"-esque mods? I'm looking for something along the lines of Frostcrag Spire from Oblivion. While I know Caranthir Tower exists and is very, very well done, it just doesn't quite jive with me. I can't quite seem to find anything else that gives off the same master wizard vibe tho.

There a couple of full blown Winterhold makeovers, but I'd rather not plough through the College questline again.
Where do you even get most of your spells if you don't join the college?

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Neloth's Apprentice!

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Where do you even get most of your spells if you don't join the college?
There's a difference between joining the College to have access to the vendors and completing the quest line to have access to the Archmage's quarters.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

With the creation kit, I vaguely recall having to unpack mods that come in a .bsa format to work with them. How does that work again?

Commander Keene posted:

There's a difference between joining the College to have access to the vendors and completing the quest line to have access to the Archmage's quarters.

Or I just console in the cool ones I like :haw:

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
There's an app on the nexus called BSA extractor, I believe. Basically works like every archive extraction tool. I use it when I'm running oldrim mods in SE, since SE can't open oldrim bsas.

I don't know if there's anything else creation club needs to do.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

There's an app on the nexus called BSA extractor, I believe. Basically works like every archive extraction tool. I use it when I'm running oldrim mods in SE, since SE can't open oldrim bsas.

I don't know if there's anything else creation club needs to do.

I love the fact that it’s literally called BAE :swoon:

I know I’ve found it incredibly useful for doing lots of little personal-use modding like extracting custom textures and models from certain mods BSAs for the purpose of editing them in certain ways. Because you can then throw them into your Data directory in the exact path you just extracted it from and they’ll work instantly because loose files trump BSAs.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Is there some easy way I can buff the health of enemies and the player across the board? I'm using Wildcat to improve the combat and while I like some aspects of it I feel like it makes everyone too drat squishy. Basically everyone dies in one or two hits, including you.

Red Metal
Oct 23, 2012

Let me tell you about Homestuck

Fun Shoe
Use the Wildcat MCM to reduce the damage multipliers.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Lol, I chose Eola as my house steward, had no idea you could do that. She’ll either keep the kids in line, or eat them...

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
Man I can't get my game to run anymore. I made a new profile in MO2 with no mods active and ran SKSE and it worked, so then I started slowly reactivating mods to see if there was a particular offender, and at some point it stopped working, but removing the mods - in fact, removing all the mods - made no difference and the game will not load past the black screen again.

ugh what did I dooooooo

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

theshim posted:

Man I can't get my game to run anymore. I made a new profile in MO2 with no mods active and ran SKSE and it worked, so then I started slowly reactivating mods to see if there was a particular offender, and at some point it stopped working, but removing the mods - in fact, removing all the mods - made no difference and the game will not load past the black screen again.

ugh what did I dooooooo

Is the game and skse up to date?

theshim
May 1, 2012

Rainbow Knight posted:

Is the game and skse up to date?
Yep.

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

Hmmm. Have you tried not running the game through mo2?

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

So a mod I'm using is gonna get updated soon and the author said he is gonna remove a spell I like from the newest version.

What's the best/easiest way to get the spell data from the old version and save it as a small stand-alone thing?

theshim
May 1, 2012

Rainbow Knight posted:

Hmmm. Have you tried not running the game through mo2?
Well, at this point I've pretty much nuked from orbit and am redoing everything. Hopefully I get things functioning properly.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

theshim posted:

Well, at this point I've pretty much nuked from orbit and am redoing everything. Hopefully I get things functioning properly.

I had the exact same problem a few months ago. Fresh modorganizer with skse, worked fine. Added some mods, testing along the way, worked fine. Eventually started to crash, and even going back and disabling everything, crash on startup. Game would work from the steam launcher. After a couple days of troubleshooting I had to nuke and restart.

Although, now that I think of it, I didn't check the overwrite folder. Maybe something got put into there that caused issues.

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

theshim posted:

:hellyeah:

So a mod I'm using is gonna get updated soon and the author said he is gonna remove a spell I like from the newest version.

What's the best/easiest way to get the spell data from the old version and save it as a small stand-alone thing?

i don't know if there's an easier way, but you could just make it from scratch in the creation kit. i think if you load up the mod esp and the main skyrim.esp, but make the skyrim.esp the active file, you can access the spell from the mod to see how it works, then just duplicate all the numbers and effects and poo poo. then when you save, i think it will save it as a new mod, as long as it doesn't use assets from the spell mod. if you do want to use assets, you have to like find the right textures and sounds and save them into the skyrim folder just so you can use them and it's a hassle but it should work.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Make a copy of the mod’s plugin.
Grab xEdit. Load up that copy and delete everything that isn’t related to that spell.
Be sure to check if the spell is using any assets like sound, meshes, etc. You’ll want a back up of that as well.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

You could also just not upgrade, that's an option too. :shrug:

Barnum Brown Shoes
Jan 29, 2013

Agents are GO! posted:

You could also just not upgrade, that's an option too. :shrug:

This is always my solution

Moreau
Jul 26, 2009

Is there a good way to remove a mod once you've started playing? I've realised Immersive Armors is not working for me, so I've turned it off via MCM, but Im thinking to try and remove it altogether

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Not safely, no. Just turn it off and ignore it.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Immersive Armors is such a core mod that I'd be trying to figure out which other mod is breaking it and if there's a load order issue.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

I figured they meant they didn't like it which hey whatever you can have bad taste it's your game :shrug:

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I can't decide between continuing to play with Volkinator or switching to Ordinator.

The main thing holding back being figuring out every mod I'd need to get an ordinator patch for :v:

Red Metal posted:

Use the Wildcat MCM to reduce the damage multipliers.

:downs:

For some reason that didn't occur to me.

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

quote:

="Internet Kraken" post="504807957"]
I can't decide between continuing to play with Volkinator or switching to Ordinator.

The main thing holding back being figuring out every mod I'd need to get an ordinator patch for :v:

:downs:

For some reason that didn't occur to me.

gonna just quote myself here

Rainbow Knight posted:

You guys are little noodle armed babies if you don't use Vokriinator Plus.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

Rainbow Knight posted:

You guys are little noodle armed babies if you don't use Vokriinator Plus.

my god, what an absolute unit madman

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge

Agents are GO! posted:

I figured they meant they didn't like it which hey whatever you can have bad taste it's your game :shrug:

That armor they force on Ulfric is pretty bad man. Like even for a game that was made in 2011, it’s not textured well at all.

LostEnder
Jul 3, 2012

Can confirm that Vokriinator Plus put hair on my Dragonborn's chest and zip in her zap. It's madness in the best way.

I'm trying it out with Spell Research and a bunch of Enai's mods. It's pretty good flavor wise for the dagger mage I'm rolling with this time.

Speaking of Spell Research though, has anyone tried it? It seems hella hard to crack into the next tier if spells. I'd also appreciate a cheat sheet of archetypes if anyone has one.

Moreau
Jul 26, 2009

Agents are GO! posted:

Pretty much, yeah. I don't like it - but it looks like turning it off via MCM is my best option for now. I can always turn individual pieces back on, if need be

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Rainbow Knight posted:

The idea of having an even crazier and less compatible perk system kind of makes me scared!

Is Vrokinnator mostly stable with other mods?

Orange Crush Rush posted:

That armor they force on Ulfric is pretty bad man. Like even for a game that was made in 2011, it’s not textured well at all.

He deserves bad armour.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 01:56 on May 13, 2020

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

LostEnder posted:

Can confirm that Vokriinator Plus put hair on my Dragonborn's chest and zip in her zap. It's madness in the best way.

I'm trying it out with Spell Research and a bunch of Enai's mods. It's pretty good flavor wise for the dagger mage I'm rolling with this time.

Speaking of Spell Research though, has anyone tried it? It seems hella hard to crack into the next tier if spells. I'd also appreciate a cheat sheet of archetypes if anyone has one.

I've written theses and had all sorts of research done, but I've never been able to do anything of note with it. I probably could have done better with more documentation outside, but my random poking and testing didn't accomplish much.

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

Internet Kraken posted:

The idea of having an even crazier and less compatible perk system kind of makes me scared!

He deserves bad armour.

Rikke's isn't much better either.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Orange Crush Rush posted:

Rikke's isn't much better either.

I had to do a lot of work to get Ulfric/Galmar/Tullius/Rikke into decent sets of armor by basically taking a chainsaw to Immersive Armors. The Heroic Imperial armor looks better with the texture set from Semper Fi, and I had to manually recolour Tullius's Imperial General to match Semper Fi's/Frankly HD's Imperial armor colour schemes, as well as give it the cube map from FHD in NifSkope. It actually does look rather decent with a proper texture set and cube map, but as it comes in IA itself it just looks super gross.

The Stormlord armor for Ulfric actually doesn't look half bad aside from those stupidly extra shoulder armor pauldrons. If there was a way to make them less pronounced or replace them with something else it would be mostly fine. Also change the texture on the robe part of the armor to make it line up more with the rest of the Stormcloak colours rather than that stupid super light blue shade. Don't know what the artist was thinking when they made it that way.

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

Internet Kraken posted:

Is Vrokinnator mostly stable with other mods?

He deserves bad armour.

as long as the other mods don’t mess with perks then yes it’s pretty stable and compatible. and is rad so

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Rainbow Knight posted:

as long as the other mods don’t mess with perks then yes it’s pretty stable and compatible. and is rad so

Fair enough. I'm starting a new character since I wasn't feeling the old one and I figured I'd do some mod cleanup/switches. I got two questions;

-Is there like, a less extreme version Morrowloot? I hate how Oblivion handled scaling, and I don't remember how Skyrim handled scaling, so maybe vanilla is what I actually want. Basically I like the idea of enemies having gear more suited to them, and I like rare items being around. However I don't want a bunch of enemies to become essentially harmless because their loot is forever lovely as I progress, and I also don't like the idea of being able to sneak into a house at level 1 and pocket a loving daedric shield.
-Has anyone here used Ultimate Deadly Encounters and if so did you have a positive experience with it?

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

Morrowloot has a "lite" version, maybe look into that. Also, there's the possibility of doing what I did and use MLU with Loot and Degradation, which lets High Level NPCs spawn with tempered gear (Flawless, Epic etc). The Degradation part can be totally turned off, which is what I did because after messing around with it for a while, it became clear Skyrim is just not made for a Degrade/Repair system like Morrowind/Oblivion.

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

Internet Kraken posted:

Fair enough. I'm starting a new character since I wasn't feeling the old one and I figured I'd do some mod cleanup/switches. I got two questions;

-Is there like, a less extreme version Morrowloot? I hate how Oblivion handled scaling, and I don't remember how Skyrim handled scaling, so maybe vanilla is what I actually want. Basically I like the idea of enemies having gear more suited to them, and I like rare items being around. However I don't want a bunch of enemies to become essentially harmless because their loot is forever lovely as I progress, and I also don't like the idea of being able to sneak into a house at level 1 and pocket a loving daedric shield.
-Has anyone here used Ultimate Deadly Encounters and if so did you have a positive experience with it?

I tried UDE and it's definitely cool, but it always caused script lag. I wasn't able to figure out a way to fix it, so I just got rid of it. It does turn the game into a murder fest though and it's :black101: as all hell

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

Rainbow Knight posted:

My reaction through scrolling the Vokriator perk tree is basically :vince: