Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Gonna do that thing where each shoulder button activates a different mode when held down, and holding both of them activates a fourth?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hempuli
Nov 16, 2011

Bongo Bill posted:

Gonna do that thing where each shoulder button activates a different mode when held down, and holding both of them activates a fourth?

This first attempt at an usable gamepad UI will probably crash and burn terribly, but the current plan is to have the shoulder buttons browse a quick-selection bar and the currently-targeted layer. People have praised Mario Maker's editor UI a lot and I guess it'd help if I owned either of them so that I could properly take notes!!

EDIT: Also spent some time today building a new levelpack that should release alongside the editor, and it looks like there might be around ~100 new levels coming up (a lot of them are scrapped ideas and variants of levels already in the game, though.)

Hempuli fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Apr 19, 2020

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

totally misread that 'nudge' as 'nude'

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Hempuli posted:

EDIT: Also spent some time today building a new levelpack that should release alongside the editor, and it looks like there might be around ~100 new levels coming up (a lot of them are scrapped ideas and variants of levels already in the game, though.)

:eyepop:

Are custom levels going to be cross platform, what with the download code and all?
Or, if they are separated by platform, what are the odds of getting Steam workshop integration for the pc?

Hempuli
Nov 16, 2011

Geemer posted:

:eyepop:

Are custom levels going to be cross platform, what with the download code and all?
Or, if they are separated by platform, what are the odds of getting Steam workshop integration for the pc?

The online level-sharing will be cross-platform, although the exact shape and form of it is still a bit up in the air. As for Steam Workshop, we'll probably leave considering it to after the editor's release to limit workload.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
I'm in Depths and thinking I'm missing some levels since the achievement didn't pop. I finished Depths 1-5 and Depths Extra 1-5, any light hints for where any remaining levels might be?

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

ymgve posted:

I'm in Depths and thinking I'm missing some levels since the achievement didn't pop. I finished Depths 1-5 and Depths Extra 1-5, any light hints for where any remaining levels might be?

My knowledge might be out of date with newer patches, but for that world I think it's fairly simple and these progressive hints should all be correct:
  • There are only five regular levels, 1-5.
  • There are only five hidden levels, Extra 1-5.
  • In total there are 11 levels directly below depths, so you have one more to complete.
  • The last level is not hidden.
  • You've probably been in it already, you just haven't completed it.
  • The 11th level in Depths is Meta.

NRVNQSR fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Apr 21, 2020

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock
Finally finished the game (though I looked up hints and guides for the later levels way too much), but one of the achievements (The End) didn't pop. Bug? I'm at 226/12/+3 and my save is marked with a flag which I guess means I completed the "main" game.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

ymgve posted:

Finally finished the game (though I looked up hints and guides for the later levels way too much), but one of the achievements (The End) didn't pop. Bug? I'm at 226/12/+3 and my save is marked with a flag which I guess means I completed the "main" game.

Did you get the secret ending? It's different than finishign the last level.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock

Arrhythmia posted:

Did you get the secret ending? It's different than finishign the last level.

I got it now, and the achievement - didn't think there was any extra solution on that level, but pretty obvious in hindsight. Thanks!

Hempuli
Nov 16, 2011

Is there a policy for developers posting in their own threads? It'd feel sensible to post updates here every once in a while but that constitutes heavy necromancy every time and I don't want to be uncourteous.

Anyway - work on the editor is progressing pretty nicely! I've taken some breaks from pure editory work to work on the levelpack of unused/old levels mentioned earlier, now titled the Museum. On top of the Museum, I'll try to gather together another, smaller levelpack that'd showcase words that are available in the editor but weren't used in the original game.

Here's one of them, Eat:

I'm also planning to add some small bits of commentary to the Museum to liven up especially the "old versions of existing levels" showcase; some of them are a bit uninteresting otherwise:

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
Post in your thread bro. Goons loved your game no one will begrudge it.

FUCK SNEEP
Apr 21, 2007

Hempuli posted:

Is there a policy for developers posting in their own threads? It'd feel sensible to post updates here every once in a while but that constitutes heavy necromancy every time and I don't want to be uncourteous.

Anyway - work on the editor is progressing pretty nicely! I've taken some breaks from pure editory work to work on the levelpack of unused/old levels mentioned earlier, now titled the Museum. On top of the Museum, I'll try to gather together another, smaller levelpack that'd showcase words that are available in the editor but weren't used in the original game.

Here's one of them, Eat:

I'm also planning to add some small bits of commentary to the Museum to liven up especially the "old versions of existing levels" showcase; some of them are a bit uninteresting otherwise:

:justpost:

These look really neat!

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

not the analytical engine
Was BABA a genuine hit? I love the game and know it did well enough, but honestly hope you sold 100k/1m/++ copies of the little guy's adventure so you have the capital to start a long-term game company or invest in other cool projects (like Blow did with his Braid :10bux:)

Edit: Understoof if this is too personal. Thanks for the level creator! Always psyched for indie game DLC and you've already added so much to this game for free

Analytic Engine fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Apr 26, 2020

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
2019 was a year in which I played many amazing new video games but Baba is You was the very best one for me no question. I'm excited to see what the level editor adds.

Pardot
Jul 25, 2001

Thanks for making this game!

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Baba is You is absolutely on my personal all-time puzzle games hall of fame, alongside The Witness, Return of the Obra Dinn, Portal, and Riven: The Sequel to Myst. It is inspired in its concept, generous in its presentation, adamant in its self-confidence and joyous in its realisation. On top of all the positive observations I could make about the actual content in the game, the thing that really seals just how good it is is the dizzying possibilities offered by the level editor; we've already seen some wild accomplishments done by people scripting, and I cannot wait to see what happens when that capability is made available to the world.

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great

Hempuli posted:

Don't worry, a bit of necromancy when there's genuinely new info from an actual dev isn't a problem, it's actually one of the best ways to resurrect a dormant thread.

Hempuli posted:

This is an excellent twist on my earlier request to somehow incorporate deprecated versions of levels, though with a lot more effort than i ever anticipated. Thanks a lot for doing this!

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

what does 'generous in its presentation' mean

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

Analytic Engine posted:

Was BABA a genuine hit? I love the game and know it did well enough, but honestly hope you sold 100k/1m/++ copies of the little guy's adventure so you have the capital to start a long-term game company or invest in other cool projects (like Blow did with his Braid :10bux:)

Edit: Understoof if this is too personal. Thanks for the level creator! Always psyched for indie game DLC and you've already added so much to this game for free

Sorry if this isn't what you meant, but I'm always surprised how many people seem to assume Hempuli is some kind of hobbyist rather than an established game dev with multiple well-received titles under his belt. Though I guess we can take that confusion as a hint that more people played Baba is You than Environmental Station Alpha?

I've no inside information, but Noita seems to be getting good and widespread press even though it's still fairly early in the early access cycle so I would guess all of its devs are doing okay.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

i think it's legit to generally assume goons aren't successful but yeah, in this specific instance it's not really the case

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

what does 'generous in its presentation' mean

Mostly, pacing. It means that it doesn't hold anything back for the sake of trying to pad itself out, it's constantly presenting new ideas and possibilities, and for most of its runtime it makes sure you have lots of options for what to do next. The result is a game where you feel like progress is your doing, rather than the game simply removing arbitrary limitations. (This sensation is a balancing act, after all, all games are arbitrarily limited and such generosity must be within those limitations. Contrast eg: Portal, a game that is quite heavily constrained and yet within those constraints it still lets you utilise its mechanics fully.)

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben
It is still a great game, I still feel I ought to be better at it, and it is especially great that the official version is still being developed without asking for DLC money (although I probably would pay for DLC)

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben

NRVNQSR posted:

Sorry if this isn't what you meant, but I'm always surprised how many people seem to assume Hempuli is some kind of hobbyist rather than an established game dev with multiple well-received titles under his belt.

If I didn't know about his other games, I maybe would have assumed the same. He posts with the humility and cheerful enthusiasm of a hobbyist, and I of course mean that only as a compliment.

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

not the analytical engine

Rollersnake posted:

If I didn't know about his other games, I maybe would have assumed the same. He posts with the humility and cheerful enthusiasm of a hobbyist, and I of course mean that only as a compliment.

:same:

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Rollersnake posted:

:yeah:

Hempuli
Nov 16, 2011

Thanks a lot for all the kind comments! Really glad that you've enjoyed the game. :) Regarding merits and such, I've been around in the indie scene for some amount of time but ultimately most of my games have been small, experimental freeware titles made back in 2009-2011 or so. Environmental Station Alpha has gotten a cool, enthusiastic following, but it was nevertheless very much a niche title, partially because I missed the timeframe where Steam was still basically an automatic "you win" button and released ESA via Greenlight. Due to these and other reasons, despite Baba's success it'd feel a bit odd for me to give myself a title of "indie superstar" or something (and to be honest I'm happy about that; it's much less stressful if generally the acknowledgements of Baba's merits are limited to nods from other devs during our monthly blood sacrifice rituals and the occasional calls for presentations.)

Analytic Engine posted:

I've never really gotten a good grasp of the Official Business Metrics for estimating economical success, but I'd say that Baba has been very successful on my personal terms (i.e. considering that it was made on a fairly small budget.) I'm definitely in a situation where I can pretty safely keep working in game development, release something a bit less ambitious or even fail my next project without ending up in too bad a spot. At the moment I have my sights on making the sequel for Environmental Station Alpha, but there's a fair number of other tentative projects that I'm kind of waiting to have time for.

Unrelated, but here's another upcoming word: Fear!

Swilo
Jun 2, 2004
ANIME SUCKS HARD

Hempuli posted:

I'm definitely in a situation where I can pretty safely keep working in game development, release something a bit less ambitious or even fail my next project without ending up in too bad a spot. At the moment I have my sights on making the sequel for Environmental Station Alpha, but there's a fair number of other tentative projects that I'm kind of waiting to have time for.

Unrelated, but here's another upcoming word: Fear!

:yeah:
keep it up, and your dev streams are cool too

parthenocarpy
Dec 18, 2003

hempuli, what do you mostly contribute to noita? graphics, dungeon generation?

Hempuli
Nov 16, 2011

PG-13 SEX DUNGEON posted:

hempuli, what do you mostly contribute to noita? graphics, dungeon generation?

I signed up originally to do the pixel art, and that expanded later to handle stuff like map/enemy/spell design, since those could be done using image & XML files and didn't require programming knowledge (except lua scripting). The game's a team project through and through so saying that I "designed the maps/enemies/spells" would be a huge exaggeration at the cost of the rest of the team, but I'd say that those were mainly my responsibilities under supervision from the rest of the team. Also note that I did only the parts of the pixel art that use "traditional" pixel art, i.e. enemy animations, ground textures etc.; there're a lot of procedural/programmed/shader-based visuals in the game and those were implemented by people who actually know how to program. Also also note that last year an additional member joined our team and I don't work on the game at this point, so the more recent additions have had less/no involvement from me.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Hey man, just wanted to say this is just about my favorite recent game, up there with Obra Dinn

MAKE more GAME

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

i just "solved overworld level 9: "fragile existence" and i've never been so simultaneously enamored and upset

i need to stop playing video games for a bit this broke me

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
The bigger puzzles are super intimidating.

I like the tiny ones that seem completely impossible until you come to one extremely clever realization

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

I like the puzzles where you can clearly determine what the central problem is that makes all obvious solutions impossible, and then you can pretty much work your way backwards from what it would take to solve that central problem until only one possible solution remains

Scenic Pond and all its variants are very good examples of that

Oh, and all that Meta/Depths stuff. I just looooove world-spanning puzzles like that!

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

This game made me think so hard it triggered synesthesia. So uh that's not something a game has done before without chemical aid, and you should be proud of that.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

I wish there were levels with alternative solutions, the game seems like it would lend itself well to that

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

ninjewtsu posted:

I wish there were levels with alternative solutions, the game seems like it would lend itself well to that

There are a couple with multiple solutions or different paths to get to their solutions. One of them leads to the super secret bonus level that doesn't even count to the Beat Everything achievement.

Hempuli
Nov 16, 2011

ninjewtsu posted:

When I started working on the game, I felt that I needed to make a choice on some level whether to make a more playful, sandboxy experience vs. a more serious, puzzly experience. Since I'm a fan of puzzle games, I decided to go with the latter, and this resulted in some factors that affected how free-form the levels can be. Namely, it seemed that in the early levels unintended/alternate solutions were fun and fine, partially because they did what they do anyway (give sense of sandboxiness/creativity/freedom etc), but also because at that point in the game even those unintended/alternate solutions are new and fresh, and teach the game mechanics. Since I tried to build the levels so that every level showcases something new, in later puzzles I felt that most alternate solutions that testers etc. found seemed to start being kind of samey and usually didn't really showcase any of the intended behaviour the level was supposed to display. Due to this it felt sensible to keep the early levels more open-ended but tighten the restrictions for the later levels. In a sandboxier game the point would be with playing and experimenting with the tools and being able to bypass any level easily would've been fine, but the same would've felt a bit... uninteresting(?) when the levels were also trying to be puzzles that showcase cool nuances.

Didn't intend this as some kind of a "this is why you're WRONG" -style takedown, this is just something that I've pondered about a bunch throughout the development and that other people have also pondered about, and I thought it'd make sense to write out my general thoughts on the topic. I'm hoping that the level editor will allow people to truly play around with the words and thus get some of that sandboxiness I decided to forego in favour of the puzzles.

(Unless you meant "alternative solutions" as in "secondary goals that unlock other stuff", in which case sorry, I misunderstood! Those might've been cool, yeah!)

quote:

Polite words, synesthesia and such
Thanks a lot! I kinda agree regarding the larger puzzles in that my favourites were generally the small, elegant-ish ones (and the really meta/outside-of-the-box ones); I've updated many of the levels since release to try to reduce the amount of rules in them because some of the more convoluted levels get really cluttered and feel way less elegant due to having too many rules and many "you're not allowed to do X because it'd be too easy" -type restrictions.

ninjewtsu posted:

i need to stop playing video games for a bit this broke me
Seeing people's reactions to those bits of the game make me so happy! :D Thank you!

The editor is trundling along; I've slowed down work on UI to update some of the more broken words. At times it's fun if the bugs turn out to be easy to fix, but for the past couple days I've been updating the Group word and wow, that one is a piece of work. To illustrate:

"X Near Y Is Z" requires X to be near everything listed in Y. Baba Is part of Group, so Baba getting close to Keke adds Keke to Group. However, as a result of this, Group now contains both Baba AND Keke, so in order to be in Group, Keke needs to be near both a Baba AND a Keke. This means that Keke isn't part of Group, which means that Keke is part of Group, etc etc ad infinitum. The "Infinite Loop" effect is becoming very handy here.

A more fun thing I fixed:

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

I swear I will find a way to make triggering an infinite loop part of a puzzle's solution

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great
Keke shaves all things that don't shave themselves. Does Keke shave themself?

The answer will surprise you, in BABA IS YOU 2 AND ZERMELO FRAENKEL edition.