Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
To be fair the bounty hunters did seem basically designed to be interesting and evocative, and it seemed almost random that Boba Fett was the plot-relevant one in the movie.

In most other franchises, when you see a lineup of diverse badasses like that you generally expect a boss rush at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

He had the most screen time and fewest lines, allowing the costume and prop designers to do their very good work without George's very bad work getting in the way.

He tried his best to ruin the character in the next movie, but the lack of damage was already done

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Hey, remember when that one Stormtrooper was running around with an ice cream machine and hit his head on a door?

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Has there ever been a sequel that hit the reset button in order to exist as hard as Ghostbusters II? They can't even come up with an adequate explanation as to why people don't believe in ghosts again after a 100-foot tall marshmallow man hosed up Columbus Circle in Manhattan, not to mention everything that was released when the containment unit was shut down.

*Gestures vaguely at everything*

Dude we are in the middle of a pandemic and people are literally forgetting we have mass graves being used and the equivalent of a 9/11 every day, because it's just mildly inconveniencing to stay home and do nothing.

The only star wars... not reboot but explanation? I guess, that makes a weird amount of sense and was actually kinda awesome is why Vader told Boba Fett "No disintegrations". They finally showed in The Mandalorian what that big loving rifle does and the sheer nothing it leaves behind on a hit.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander has a new favorite as of 16:38 on May 11, 2020

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Dude we are in the middle of a pandemic and people are literally forgetting we have mass graves being used and the equivalent of a 9/11 every day, because it's just mildly inconveniencing to stay home and do nothing.

Uh...what?

And if you're trying to make me feel bad, I live in Brooklyn and have literally witnessed body bags being tossed into refrigerator trucks, so kindly gently caress the gently caress off.

Like, holy poo poo, I'm talking about a movie made in 1989 and you're somehow comparing it to the end of times here in 2020.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer

Uh...what?

And if you're trying to make me feel bad, I live in Brooklyn and have literally witnessed body bags being tossed into refrigerator trucks, so kindly gently caress the gently caress off.

Like, holy poo poo, I'm talking about a movie made in 1989 and you're somehow comparing it to the end of times here in 2020.

No, I'm talking about how people in general will just forget and ignore poo poo if it doesn't fit their worldview. Kinda how in politics it literally doesn't matter what YOUR guy did because THAT OTHER GUY did something and that's what we need to focus on. Sorry if you took that the wrong way.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
The gist of it is people will be willfully ignorant of danger if it means not having to believe something they don't want to, even if proof of it is everywhere around them.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

No, I'm talking about how people in general will just forget and ignore poo poo if it doesn't fit their worldview. Kinda how in politics it literally doesn't matter what YOUR guy did because THAT OTHER GUY did something and that's what we need to focus on. Sorry if you took that the wrong way.

Okay, thank you. It seemed like a wild non-sequitur "Why are you complaining about movies when people are dying?!" thing.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
really needed an explanatory clause in that paragraph. remember that youre posting in the dumbest thread of the dumbest subforum

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The only star wars... not reboot but explanation? I guess, that makes a weird amount of sense and was actually kinda awesome is why Vader told Boba Fett "No disintegrations". They finally showed in The Mandalorian what that big loving rifle does and the sheer nothing it leaves behind on a hit.

Yeah but if those corona deaths turned into ghosts and were walking around, and one of them was 1000 feet tall and a marshmallow, I bet we'd loving remember in a couple of months.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

The real stretch is gonna be when Ghostbusters III rolls around and somehow society at large will have relegated the Statue of Liberty descending from its pedestal, walking the streets of Manhattan and smashing in the roof of the art museum to the realm of myth and urban legend.

Patattack
Nov 23, 2008

The English Language!

Sand Monster posted:

There was a thread on these forums 10+ years ago which went deep into the rabbit hole of all the absurdly specific details for every little extraneous part of the original films which culminated in a parody site where people submitted fictional entries written in the same style and it was just as believable (and also hilarious).

Wait, is this the origin of the Bigger Luke Theory??

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
I somehow retroactively had less overall lifetime sex after reading that.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Torquemada posted:

I somehow retroactively had less overall lifetime sex after reading that.

So negative sex?

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

oldpainless posted:

So negative sex?

Reading that would put Wilt Chamberlain at negative sex.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

MariusLecter posted:

No idea how to make a joke about it but here's SOLO 1996
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sV-4gWRtNxY

Holy poo poo,i watched this movie as a kid but the name eluded me for so long!

I just remember the scene where he handstand-backflips away from perfectly timed explosions and the camera is directly side on.
Hilarious.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Hey, remember when that one Stormtrooper was running around with an ice cream machine and hit his head on a door?

I'm just picturing the Shockmaster.

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006

Aphrodite posted:

Yeah but if those corona deaths turned into ghosts and were walking around, and one of them was 1000 feet tall and a marshmallow, I bet we'd loving remember in a couple of months.

Hmm. No, sounds like fake news.

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

Also if we somehow had an incredible pandemic-busting team that leapt into action and shut down the virus with minimal loss of life, then people would only remember that the virus wasn't really a big deal and we probably don't even need a special team to handle that sort of thing.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
So basically, Venkmann should have let Gozer step on the church. Then blown it up.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

My Lovely Horse posted:

The real stretch is gonna be when Ghostbusters III rolls around and somehow society at large will have relegated the Statue of Liberty descending from its pedestal, walking the streets of Manhattan and smashing in the roof of the art museum to the realm of myth and urban legend.

Yeah, isn't there a scene in the trailer where Paul Rudd is all "You've never heard of the Ghostbusters?" like what the gently caress? I'm pretty sure people in Kansas or wherever the hell they're supposed to be would've heard about a one hundred foot marshmallow man and the Statue of Liberty marching through the middle of New York City within five years of one another.

Which makes me wonder if they have bumper stickers with the Stay Puft hat laying at the foot of the rebuilt church with "Never Forget" in the Ghostbusters universe.

Flint_Paper
Jun 7, 2004

This isn't cool at all Looshkin! These are dark forces you're titting about with!

Speng' fuel can't melt evil peeps

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Yeah, isn't there a scene in the trailer where Paul Rudd is all "You've never heard of the Ghostbusters?" like what the gently caress? I'm pretty sure people in Kansas or wherever the hell they're supposed to be would've heard about a one hundred foot marshmallow man and the Statue of Liberty marching through the middle of New York City within five years of one another.

Note that the kid in question is the grandchild of Egon and it sounds like her mother was estranged from him for a few decades and deliberately hid all info about the Ghostbusters from her or downplayed it as a hoax, but I guess the other kids don't have that excuse.

Also don't forget that the company's spokesmen were Peter Venkman (an inherently untrustworthy shyster and bullshit merchant) and Ray Stantz (a gullible but well-meaning chump who 100% buys into every supernatural conspiracy story ever and will rant about them to anyone who will listen) so people would naturally assume that their explanations for what happened was just some dumb bullshit to cover up a hoax so they'd happily accept any other explanation.

Burt Gummer in the Tremors movies is in a similar position - in the real world he'd just be another insane prepper idiot obsessed with conspiracies and guns but in the Tremors world he's your last best hope.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
Dan Aykroyd is his Ghostbusters character in real life. No one would or should trust him with anything important. It's not entirely unreasonable to look at Ray and Peter and disbelieve everything they say, even if all evidence points to the contrary.

I have a bottle of Crystal Skull vodka signed by him and it is the worst tasting vodka I have ever drank. I've had vodka that was cloudy that tasted better than his 'strained through mystic crystals' swill. I'm still not even sure HOW it tastes bad. It's vodka. It has no taste. But it did not taste good.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Gonna laugh pretty hard when the full scene is Paul Rudd incredulously asking the kids if they've never heard of Ray Stantz and they're all "what the gently caress like banned-from-twitter-Ray-Stantz, the one who runs GhostWars?"

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
There's a lot of contaminants in vodka that are colorless and odorless that can give certain tastes.

I've had a vodka that tasted like aluminum oxide smells. Cause it was kept in a unlined aluminum container.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
I'm pretty sure something like the Titanic arriving after eighty years or a giant pink monster in Washington Square Park or the sky filling up with green poo poo would've made the newspapers.

Ferrule
Feb 23, 2007

Yo!

I'm pretty sure something like the Titanic arriving after eighty years or a giant pink monster in Washington Square Park or the sky filling up with green poo poo would've made the newspapers.

Fake News. #BusterGate

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
The US government confirmed the existence of UFO's last month and it barely made the front page, under the fold. It's unrealistic to think everyone would forget ghosts were real, but not as unrealistic as we'd like to believe.

In retrospect, a police precinct being so haunted that the walls were literally bleeding implies a level of abuse and tragedy that a 12 year old me couldn't comprehend.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Gonna be funny if ghosts are hand-waved away by the media because something worse is happening to the world...

...Like aliens invading the planet.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Android Apocalypse posted:

Gonna be funny if ghosts are hand-waved away by the media because something worse is happening to the world...

Ghostbusters/Evolution shared cinematic universe confirmed?

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
I'm okay with this.

Evolution definitely had some Ghostbusters DNA in it.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

I'm okay with this.

Evolution definitely had some Ghostbusters DNA in it.

A little more than some, it was directed by Ivan Reitman and Aykroyd even had a minor role in it :ssh:

The spinoff cartoon series was nowhere near as popular as Real Ghostbusters, however

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y61h1mOQvhc

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Hah I completely forgot about that connection.

I never saw the Evolution: Alienators Continues cartoon but I liked Extreme Ghostbusters, mainly because it was a sequel to The Real Ghostbusters.

Unrelated, I thought the Men in Black cartoon was pretty good.

Man, Fox Kids lineup was pretty dope.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Alienators had a neat gimmick where every episode the aliens would take new forms and evolve differently but the final form always came back to the lifeform Scopes, like they were a hivemind working to form him, and each path made him look slightly different, like if it was insects he'd be a giant insect or an episode with a farm animal invasion resulting in Bull Scopes. I thought that that was interesting.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Hah I completely forgot about that connection.

I never saw the Evolution: Alienators Continues cartoon but I liked Extreme Ghostbusters, mainly because it was a sequel to The Real Ghostbusters.

Unrelated, I thought the Men in Black cartoon was pretty good.

Man, Fox Kids lineup was pretty dope.

Evolution and Men In Black were by the same people iirc, who also did Godzilla: The Series, the spinoff to the 90s Godzilla that was actually really good.

Mister Mind
Mar 20, 2009

I'm not a real doctor,
But I am a real worm;
I am an actual worm

Samovar posted:

It's not a movie, per say, but the following screenshot of a scene from the Poochie episode from the Simpsons:

Notice in the background the movie poster. It's not spelled correctly.

Another subtle thing - notice how per se is also spelled incorrectly.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Don't call me Percy.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Krispy Wafer posted:

The US government confirmed the existence of UFO's last month and it barely made the front page, under the fold.

It's not like the US government proclaimed that "yes, aliens do exists!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Ghostbusters/Evolution shared cinematic universe confirmed?

Sorry, but it's actually the Ghostbusters/Searching shared cinematic universe.