Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

GreyjoyBastard posted:

his most obvious lie yet

i was wondering if it was the NBP rather than a somehow-existent-or-resurgent actual-BP

pretty much everything high-profile they do is definitely let_them_fight.gif - they like to showboat about things like, well, this, and at least one mosque protest, and i'm fine with that part of their activities

There's several Black Panther splinter groups and people calling themselves Black Panthers, and New Black Panthers not affiliated with the NBPP unless those guys specifically say they're the NBPP (if they did, I missed it, their garb has the old school BP panther so idk) I wouldn't get all up in arms.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

Koalas March posted:

There's several Black Panther splinter groups and people calling themselves Black Panthers, and New Black Panthers not affiliated with the NBPP unless those guys specifically say they're the NBPP (if they did, I missed it, their garb has the old school BP panther so idk) I wouldn't get all up in arms.

:rimshot:

Objurium
Aug 8, 2009

Oh good. It's more cosplay.

https://www.facebook.com/Panther-Special-Operations-Command-ATL-Branch-UPA-108758727234179/

"Special Operations Command" just say you loving like skydiving jfc you're not going to HALO jump behind chud lines.

Every day is stupider.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Roland Jones posted:

I would argue that the American electorate in general becoming more tolerant of sexual assault as a result of the actions of one of the major parties is relevant to general US politics, and is not "Biden and Trump are the same", despite you trying to reduce it to such rather than actually address the measurable shift in voter opinions.

Though thank you for being a living example of how we got here.

Thanks for morally judging me for merely mentioning that there are more relevant threads, because obviously I do not care about rape yeah, person who knows nothing of my life or personal experiences :rolleyes:

It's not at all because the Anti and Pro Biden people made this thread loving insufferable and no one ever convinces anyone of anything, turning into a slap fight that summons some of the most self-righteous posters in DnD

Anyway, I still think that if this OBAMAGATE is Brad Parscale's Death Star grand plan, then Trump is even more doomed than I thought lol

Like making this about one of the most popular politicans in recent memory at a time when most of the country hates you and actively believes you are trying to kill them, or don't care if they die, is a loving bold move Cotton

TulliusCicero fucked around with this message at 03:13 on May 12, 2020

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Roland Jones posted:

So, Democrats and the media rallying to protect Joe Biden has made voters more accepting of sexual assault and rape in general, even if they hate the person responsible (say, Trump):

https://twitter.com/rmc031/status/1259997482538287104

This damage is going to stay well past this election whether Biden wins or loses.

That isn't actually what the survey you posted says.

The question is "does it disqualify you from being president" and the answers are "Yes", "no but it's relevant to the election, no it isn't relevant to the election," and "Don't know." The vast majority still find it relevant to the election at minimum and most of the shift comes from people moving from "yes" to "No but relevant."

Without more context there is no telling the difference between "I am okay with a rapist being president if they are on my side" versus "It's impossible to say it's disqualifying when Trump is in office despite admitting it on tape but I still wouldn't vote for Biden because of it." It is not the same as people suddenly deciding sexual assault is okay.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Vox Nihili posted:

It's not really a victory for Trumpism. Trump already killed any media/public interest in his rape allegations, tax fraud, etc. etc. by winning in 2016. And otherwise, Bidenism doesn't have a while ton in common with Trump's... ideology, inasmuch as that exists as a coherent collection of ideas.

However, Biden's ascendancy is a victory against, and a negation of, virtually all of the individual progressive movements. Obviously the Green New Deal and M4A stuff is dead now, but so too is MeToo and even any political interest in campaign finance reform. He really has crushed any notions of meaningful reform or justice in this wretched country. And the wild part is that a substantial portion of the "moderates" who showed up for him in the primaries are just going to vote for Trump in November anyway.

Biden's candidacy is actually the opposite of Trumpism. For the most part, what has made Trump unique is packaging. Or, more accurately, the discarding thereof.

Trump is not intelligent enough to lie about his intentions. He's not smart enough to sell you a "War on Terror." He just calls it a Muslim ban. He can't come up some bullshit about "Border Security". He just yells about Mexicans. Liberals who fully supported identical actions previously, recoil in disgust when the polish falls off. When the lies aren't catchy. When the truth is too obvious.

Biden, for all his faults, is quite the opposite. He wants to return to a time when you could stare the ugly realities directly in the face because there was a healthy coat of paint. When concentration camps were for "terrorists," not innocent children. When you could distract from your impeachment by bombing Iraq, not Iran. A time when it was perfectly fine to penetrate women right in the pussy, and just never loving talk about it.

It may be impossible to repair Trump's damage to our shared delusions. He is a breathing argument against the way we distribute resources, power, and clout. We can pretend that the wealthy deserve their riches, or that politicians deserve their power. We can pretend anything we want. But it will be just that: Pretend. Because our belief structures may be so thoroughly shaken that "pretend" is the best we can manage.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
https://twitter.com/nycsouthpaw/status/1260031656263512064

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

It is amazing how Trump is at once the genius, the absolute best, the #1 President who ever existed and does everything right and also is utterly helpless without Obama telling him what to do.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

...Why are there Team Trump Livestreams? Who in Trump's base knows what the gently caress a livestream is?

Why the gently caress is Lara Trump in charge of them?

Oh god, I joked that Trump should start a Twitch channel but that's going to happen isn't it? :ohdear:

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

TulliusCicero posted:

Thanks for morally judging me for merely mentioning that there are more relevant threads, because obviously I do not care about rape yeah, person who knows nothing of my life or personal experiences :rolleyes:

It's not at all because the Anti and Pro Biden people made this thread loving insufferable and no one ever convinces anyone of anything, turning into a slap fight that summons some of the most self-righteous posters in DnD

Anyway, I still think that if this OBAMAGATE is Brad Parscale's Death Star grand plan, then Trump is even more doomed than I thought lol

Like making this about one of the most popular politicans in recent memory at a time when most of the country hates you and actively believes you are trying to kill them, or don't care if they die, is a loving bold move Cotton

My apologies; it seemed like you were dismissing the shift in voter attitudes, particularly Democratic voters, which is almost certainly in large part due to Biden, under the "Biden is the same as Trump" umbrella. I've already seen multiple Biden-supporters try to pull things like that and it's left me frustrated; if that's not what you were trying to do, then I really am sorry.

Though, since you go into "Obamagate" here... How is that not general election material? The whole discussion around it is literally how it's going to affect the general election, but it's been dominating the thread for pages now. Does "general election" really mean "any mention of Joe Biden" or something?

(I agree that it's the dumbest approach Trump could take; Biden largely has not inherited Obama's popularity and the more voters see Biden the less they like him, so running against the (whether you think it's deserved or not) popular idea of Obama instead of the horrible reality of Joe Biden is giving up one of the best things possible for him in the upcoming election and replacing it with another obstacle. And it's not like he doesn't have a lot of those already.)

ImpAtom posted:

That isn't actually what the survey you posted says.

The question is "does it disqualify you from being president" and the answers are "Yes", "no but it's relevant to the election, no it isn't relevant to the election," and "Don't know." The vast majority still find it relevant to the election at minimum and most of the shift comes from people moving from "yes" to "No but relevant."

Without more context there is no telling the difference between "I am okay with a rapist being president if they are on my side" versus "It's impossible to say it's disqualifying when Trump is in office despite admitting it on tape but I still wouldn't vote for Biden because of it." It is not the same as people suddenly deciding sexual assault is okay.

More people thinking that sexual assault is not inherently disqualifying from being the most powerful person in the country is becoming more tolerant of sexual assault, however you try to spin it.

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 03:30 on May 12, 2020

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Roland Jones posted:

My apologies; it seemed like you were dismissing the shift in voter attitudes, particularly Democratic voters, which is almost certainly in large part due to Biden, under the "Biden is the same as Trump" umbrella. I've already seen multiple Biden-supporters try to pull things like that and it's left me frustrated; if that's not what you were trying to do, then I really am sorry.

Though, since you go into "Obamagate" here... How is that not general election material? The whole discussion around it is literally how it's going to affect the general election, but it's been dominating the thread for pages now. Does "general election" really mean "any mention of Joe Biden" or something?

(I agree that it's the dumbest approach Trump could take; Biden largely has not inherited Obama's popularity and the more voters see Biden the less they like him, so running against the (whether you think it's deserved or not) popular idea of Obama instead of the horrible reality of Joe Biden is giving up one of the best things possible for him in the upcoming election and replacing it with another obstacle. And it's not like he doesn't have a lot of those already.)

More people thinking that sexual assault is not inherently disqualifying from being the most powerful person in the country is becoming more tolerant of sexual assault, however you try to spin it.

Since you are being civilized and apologized I will say no I am absolutely horrified with the state of politics as "electability" boiling down to "old rich white powerful guy, probably raped people". It's disgusting, and the shrugging acceptance of it in our media on all sides is an indictment on our entire loving system

And I agree, distancing the campaign from Biden and going after Obama might be the most stupid political "strategy" since Dukakis and the tank

TulliusCicero fucked around with this message at 03:37 on May 12, 2020

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009
I agree with you Roland, but if you want to maybe lie to yourself and feel better about our descent into hell, then I can see myself in a nihilist mood answering that survey and going "no, but relevant" because yeah, it's obviously not disqualifying anymore. I don't do YouGov and haven't done any paid surveys for a little bit, but you can get in a surprisingly weird headspace when you do them and answer more cynically and "truthfully" then you'd think.

But yeah, MeToo seemingly dying is a hell of a thing for general politics. I thought it had a good base after Franken couldn't stop it, but well, here we are. The fallout is going to be something to watch.

Kale
May 14, 2010

These press conferences are now officially the weirdest poo poo I've ever seen out of the U.S Government in my entire life. Totally over-matched really is the word that comes to mind at this point. Like this is supposed to be the poo poo people are expected to vote for in November. And he's still going to hold on to that 42% baseline approval rating even now.

Love that the media is starting to push back more and more. That one reporter really nailed it with the perfect phrasing, question and tone in asking him why he was making that "Ask China" declaration to him specifically.

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

TulliusCicero posted:

And I agree, distancing the campaign from Biden and going after Obama might be the most stupid political "strategy" since Dukakis and the tank

Well, there's no alternative. The old Rove mantra is to go after your opponent's strengths, and Obama is Biden's only strength.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Roland Jones posted:

I mean the truth is that it isn't disqualifying. An admitted rapist can run for President if they want. Without context or follow-up questions a single random poll question is actually not very useful.

"No, but it is relevant to the election" is an incredibly useless answer without follow-up questions because it covers a wide spectrum of people. Lumping them all together in "is okay with sexual assault" is not actually helpful because there are plenty of ways you can answer that question "No, but it's relevant" and still think it's sexual assault and not someone you would vote for.

I'm not trying to be a dick here but this is going to be a long-rear end election without massive doomsaying over a single poll question, especially coming off a Huffpost clickbait article.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 03:45 on May 12, 2020

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
https://twitter.com/sarahcpr/status/1260028573693272068

Kale
May 14, 2010

Oh wow Chris Cilliza you're so loving hip with 2005's youth my goodness. :aaaaa:

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

Parakeet vs. Phone posted:

But yeah, MeToo seemingly dying is a hell of a thing for general politics. I thought it had a good base after Franken couldn't stop it, but well, here we are. The fallout is going to be something to watch.

That's another important thing. The backlash after Franken was forced out was pretty heavy and it didn't just come from the center or right. Then there's Kavanaugh cruising in, some of the stuff in Virginia and elsewhere, and above it all the fact that "credible rape accusations" probably isn't in the top five on most people's complaints about Trump's presidency right now. It feels a little weird to look at a change in polling over three years and place all the blame on a story most people only heard of recently.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Kale posted:

Oh wow Chris Cilliza you're so loving hip with 2005's youth my goodness. :aaaaa:

As a dude in my 30s those headlines speak to me.

Kale
May 14, 2010

DrNutt posted:

As a dude in my 30s those headlines speak to me.

I still prefer not to be patronized by my so-called political analysts as an ice breaker. :colbert:

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Our security is guaranteed by being able to melt the eyeballs of any other forum's denizens at 15 minutes notice

Civilized Fishbot posted:

Well, there's no alternative. The old Rove mantra is to go after your opponent's strengths, and Obama is Biden's only strength.

And the other factor is that we are looking at a contest that will be a mutual idiot flailing match at best, so not as meaningful as it should be.

StratGoatCom fucked around with this message at 04:03 on May 12, 2020

Eminai
Apr 29, 2013

I agree with Dante, that the hottest places in hell are reserved for those who in a period of moral crisis maintain their neutrality.

ImpAtom posted:

I mean the truth is that it isn't disqualifying. An admitted rapist can run for President if they want. Without context or follow-up questions a single random poll question is actually not very useful.

"No, but it is relevant to the election" is an incredibly useless answer without follow-up questions because it covers a wide spectrum of people. Lumping them all together in "is okay with sexual assault" is not actually helpful because there are plenty of ways you can answer that question "No, but it's relevant" and still think it's sexual assault and not someone you would vote for.

I'm not trying to be a dick here but this is going to be a long-rear end election without massive doomsaying over a single poll question, especially coming off a Huffpost clickbait article.

If you want to take that approach, then it's a pretty damning indictment of the voters that at least 70% of Democrats didn't know what was required to be President in 2016 and 51% still don't. Even beyond that, though, seeing the portion that answered Not Relevant/Don't know jump from 9% to 19% isn't exactly a good thing.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

StratGoatCom posted:

And the other factor is that we are looking a mt a contest that will be a mutual idiot flailing match at best, so not as meaningful as it should be.

Hey now, the winner is going to be an elderly brainworm-riddled creep no matter what so clearly we can focus on the issues!!!

Eminai posted:

If you want to take that approach, then it's a pretty damning indictment of the voters that at least 70% of Democrats didn't know what was required to be President in 2016 and 51% still don't. Even beyond that, though, seeing the portion that answered Not Relevant/Don't know jump from 9% to 19% isn't exactly a good thing.

Frankly "30% of the voting population knows the requirements to be President" would be a pleasant surprise to me.

I am not saying it isn't influenced by who the person involved in the voting question is because it obviously is, but there are a lot of factors to read in there. (Not in the least because there don't seem to actually be many people in that poll who actually think the claims have merit.) In comparison I would like to see the same poll from 2016 given again because it asked a lot more pointed questions about sexual assault.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 04:05 on May 12, 2020

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Trumps lawyer

https://mobile.twitter.com/JennaEllisEsq/status/1259979939941670912

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

How is every single person in this administration an absolute garbage human being.

Like forget about bad politics or I think they support awful policies. These are just awful, spiteful human beings and absolute pieces of poo poo.

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

TulliusCicero posted:

We don’t really have a GE thread right now as it is, so maybe that does need to fall under USPOL again. We have a “Dems bad and we’re mad about the primary” thread.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Solaris 2.0 posted:

How is every single person in this administration an absolute garbage human being.

Trump rejected all the legions of ghouls in waiting that populate GOP presidencies because none of them supported him in the primaries.

Instead he filled the White House with poo poo lords and forced out everyone that could even pretend to keep it together in public.

After three and change years of churn, the only ones there are the ones that have survived this long and their friends. They're the absolute dredges of the blogosphere and the children of a new wave of neoveau riche dipshits that saw their opportunity at the top of the power structure and took it.

the only good thing you can say about the entrenched power of the good ol boy GOP network is these poo poo lords will be back to their car dealerships the second Trump is no longer in power and their kids will hopefully go with them or back to fox news.

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001

Kale posted:

These press conferences are now officially the weirdest poo poo I've ever seen out of the U.S Government in my entire life. Totally over-matched really is the word that comes to mind at this point. Like this is supposed to be the poo poo people are expected to vote for in November. And he's still going to hold on to that 42% baseline approval rating even now.

Love that the media is starting to push back more and more. That one reporter really nailed it with the perfect phrasing, question and tone in asking him why he was making that "Ask China" declaration to him specifically.

Yeah I thought the Reagan "My guardian says I can't talk" was strange. We're in a weird timeline.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Koalas March posted:

Apparently the lovely NBPP got sued by the original BPP for using their logo and still hasn't stopped, so it's evidence in favor of the "they're probably from the lovely ones" argument.

Zero_Grade
Mar 18, 2004

Darktider 🖤🌊

~Neck Angels~

I've always loved Where's Waldo

Mr Interweb posted:

dammit. so he probably won a good hunk of change then, didn't he?
We'll find out if he calls J.G. Wentworth!

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

KillHour posted:

Apparently the lovely NBPP got sued by the original BPP for using their logo and still hasn't stopped, so it's evidence in favor of the "they're probably from the lovely ones" argument.

They're wearing the white (original) BP logo, the NBPP uses the same panther (thus the lawsuit) but with a pan-african inspired background, which is why I don't think it's them but sure

Koalas March fucked around with this message at 04:55 on May 12, 2020

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

Solaris 2.0 posted:

Like forget about bad politics or I think they support awful policies. These are just awful, spiteful human beings and absolute pieces of poo poo.

lovely people flock together and share common interests.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1260051164206333954

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1260032616780034049

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1260037290111520768

trumps up tonight.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Wow Sally Yates out of nowhere.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.
https://twitter.com/sahilkapur/status/1260028798558326795

https://twitter.com/DJJudd/status/1260019240863535106

mitch is loving gross.

https://twitter.com/RawStory/status/1260039799689396224

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Lol Obamagate is the witch hunt he accused Mueller of

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Koalas March posted:

The same people posted in this thread and praised are the same ones that walked around during the Stacey Abrams campaign and identified as NBPP but I'm not about to get into this poo poo fight but here are the photos:

Here's the quote:

quote:

Hashim Nzinga, national chairman of the New Black Panther Party, knows that people are talking about those pictures of members campaigning for Stacey Abrams while carrying long guns. “We were doing what everybody is doing in November,” Nzinga said. “We were campaigning for the candidate that we feel is best to represent our community. And the pictures were taken where we work the best: in our community.”

And the interview that happened back in 2018 identified them as NBPP, and as you can see the one on the far left is the same individual as in this picture from this month:

I would love to scare the absolute poo poo out of yallqaeda and I absolutely 100% support violence against cops, but I can't stand behind a blanket antisemitic organization like that, even if the message they are pushing agrees with my worldview.

Asema fucked around with this message at 05:06 on May 12, 2020

whos that broooown
Dec 10, 2009

2024 Comeback Poster of the Year
I'm glad to have my milquetoast fascist governor right now.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

That's a loving insane screen grab, good lord

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

https://mobile.twitter.com/PeterGleick/status/1260054696326074369