Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Krispy Wafer posted:

Gotcha. I just looked it up and it's not even a department store so I'm not sure how I thought they were related except for the names.

Did you have salad? People get a lot of food poisoning from lettuce or other veggies that get contaminated by bacteria on nearby uncooked meat. The germs get killed when the meat is cooked, but no one is cooking a salad bar.

The contaminated meat is usually the hands preparing the dish, not some yet to be cooked chunk of beef in the same room as the lettuce.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Krispy Wafer posted:

Gotcha. I just looked it up and it's not even a department store so I'm not sure how I thought they were related except for the names.

Did you have salad? People get a lot of food poisoning from lettuce or other veggies that get contaminated by bacteria on nearby uncooked meat. The germs get killed when the meat is cooked, but no one is cooking a salad bar.

If rice isn’t stored properly that’s another big one that people don’t consider. It’s usually full of B. Cereus spores that can reactivate unless you keep it at proper temps.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Krispy Wafer posted:

That’s totally not how that works.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

MarcusSA posted:

That’s totally not how that works.

If you're not careful when preparing the salad (washing your hands in between), this is how it works.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Lambert posted:

If you're not careful when preparing the salad (washing your hands in between), this is how it works.

We are talking restaurants.

The salad mixes have an incredibly high ecoli rate and it’s not from that.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

MarcusSA posted:

Salad mixes can also be tainted at other points in the supply chain, but it absolutely happens in restaurant preparation as well. E.coli or Salmonella on meat will often get killed during cooking, but if it cross contaminates nearby salad you've got yourself a problem.

I think the Chipotle outbreaks were salads/vegetables contaminated from the picking/packaging, but if you get sick at a buffet then it's likely from sloppy prep.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

MarcusSA posted:

Most cases of food poisoning are norovirus, not e.coli, and outbreaks are almost always traced back to a sick person involved in food preparation. It's actually not that common for food born illness to come from the food itself/not people; it's just when the regulations and protections on the supply chain fail, it has far reaching consequences. Like one of the big e.coli recalls for salad mix was entirely from one warehouse that had been storing rotten melons. The melons got sent to pigs and the trucks failed to wash their wheels in between runs, so they tracked pig poo poo directly from the sty into the warehouse where it contaminated the next round of contents -spinach. Once that spinach went into the process to become bagged salad mix, it was impossible to track it so the entire downline was contaminated and had to be recalled.

central dogma
Feb 25, 2012

Come to the Undead Settlement in the next 20 mins if u want an ash kicking
What if I told you there's multiple ways for buffet salad to become contaminated? Maybe even at the same time?

Promoted Pawn
Jun 8, 2005

oops

Impossible, that’s what the sneeze guard is for.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

central dogma posted:

What if I told you there's multiple ways for buffet salad to become contaminated? Maybe even at the same time?

They don’t stack so only the latest contamination actually causes a debuff

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
We tried to talk it out after the fact but never could figure out what exactly they ate that I didn't eat and now those memories are decades old so it's just something I'll never know the answer to.

Of course what could be possible is that it wasn't just one thing. Maybe each of them ate a different thing that was similarly contaminated, giving them all very similar food poisoning symptoms, and I just somehow avoided those three separate items. The possibilities are endless at Golden Corral.

I still go there.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

We tried to talk it out after the fact but never could figure out what exactly they ate that I didn't eat and now those memories are decades old so it's just something I'll never know the answer to.

Of course what could be possible is that it wasn't just one thing. Maybe each of them ate a different thing that was similarly contaminated, giving them all very similar food poisoning symptoms, and I just somehow avoided those three separate items. The possibilities are endless at Golden Corral.

I still go there.

It could also be that they got it from something other than the food that you never touched, or you already had an immunity to whatever it was. They may have even got it from somewhere else entirely because people will forget to take incubation periods into account and assume it was the last thing they ate instead of something two days prior.

Food poisoning, particularly norovirus, is just something that happens sometimes, so it's not that big a deal if you go back to a place that got you mildly ill once. Severely ill or multiple times in less than a year indicates some serious issues with food safety that you should avoid, and probably report to the appropriate agency.

there wolf has a new favorite as of 19:00 on May 10, 2020

Gann Jerrod
Sep 9, 2005

A gun isn't a gun unless it shoots Magic.
Quibi is tanking hard, and of course it’s everybody’s fault except Jeffrey Katzenberg.

quote:

“I attribute everything that has gone wrong to coronavirus,” Mr. Katzenberg said in a video interview. “Everything. But we own it.”

Quibi fell out of the list of the 50 most downloaded free iPhone apps in the United States a week after it went live on April 6. It is now ranked No. 125, behind the game app Knock’em All and the language-learning app Duolingo, according to the analytics firm Sensor Tower.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Quibi is a victim of circumstances. Chief among them being the circumstance of being a terrible idea that nobody asked for.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
You know, I've seen an ad for Quibi but I had absolutely no idea what it was. I thought it was a food app or something but Google says it's "10 minute TV show episodes from your favorite stars." But I'm sure that it's allll coronavirus' fault like Katzenberg said and nothing to do with being yet another short form mobile video platform that no one noticed.

Hey guys remember the bad old days when YouTube used to limit the video upload length to 10 minutes to try and prevent piracy? Even they cut that poo poo out in 2010.

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009

Gann Jerrod posted:

Quibi is tanking hard, and of course it’s everybody’s fault except Jeffrey Katzenberg.

Yes, clearly launching in a time period where people are desperate for content, and anxiety is giving people reduced attention spans that might make your 10 minute episode limit appealing was the worst possible timing.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Ariong posted:

Quibi is a victim of circumstances. Chief among them being the circumstance of being a terrible idea that nobody asked for.

https://twitter.com/zachraffio/status/1250558003830538241?s=21

It’s amazing actually

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

So are elementary school teachers selling copies of their students' writing assignments to make a quick buck or...?

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...
I looked it up, and apparently it's an anthology horror show, and that episode was directed by Sam Rami?

I mean, if it's a quick buck that no one will see, why not.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Ariong posted:

And it somehow cost $2 billion

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Turbinosamente posted:

You know, I've seen an ad for Quibi but I had absolutely no idea what it was. I thought it was a food app or something but Google says it's "10 minute TV show episodes from your favorite stars." But I'm sure that it's allll coronavirus' fault like Katzenberg said and nothing to do with being yet another short form mobile video platform that no one noticed.

Hey guys remember the bad old days when YouTube used to limit the video upload length to 10 minutes to try and prevent piracy? Even they cut that poo poo out in 2010.

Youtube was a free service. Quibi is paid like Netflix or Hulu. Its supposed to be 10 minute YouTube shows but with traditional media C-listers and high-ish production values all for $8 a month. There was not a venture capitalist in Hollywood who didn't want to get in on this.

EDIT: They also had incredibly stupid policies on sharing because it was run by the RIAA circa 2006.

https://twitter.com/jbillinson/status/1259942508571885578?s=19

https://twitter.com/imadness/status/1260030161006649356?s=19

BIG FLUFFY DOG has a new favorite as of 08:31 on May 12, 2020

McPhearson
Aug 4, 2007

Hot Damn!

FlamingLiberal posted:

And it somehow cost $2 billion

How else are you going to get Grammy winning actors to talk about how they want to be buried with their gold arm?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

I've never even heard of companies threatening to do this. What the hell?

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

FlamingLiberal posted:

Nintendo likes, or liked, to send C&D's to people with their game footage on YouTube reviews or whatever.

Edit: https://thenextweb.com/gaming/2018/11/29/nintendo-new-video-rules/

Admiral Joeslop has a new favorite as of 12:28 on May 12, 2020

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠
Atlus was real DMCA trigger happy with Persona 5 too.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

FlamingLiberal posted:

Paramount sent C&D to basically anyone who had anything related to Star Trek in the Internet, IN THE 90'S.

Also, at least some Internet shows like Nostalgia Critic and such kept getting C&D's, but making a hour-long "review" of a 90 min movie with almost half of the movie being in it, does stretch the concept of fair use quite a bit.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

I was talking more about podcasts. Video is another thing entirely.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

FlamingLiberal posted:

Back in the early 2000s, Nintendo sent a C&D to someone on SuicideGirls because their profile mentioned Metroid and Zelda. Turns out they had an automated process doing this for them.

Nintendo has always been stupid about internet stuff.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Der Kyhe posted:

Paramount sent C&D to basically anyone who had anything related to Star Trek in the Internet, IN THE 90'S.

Also, at least some Internet shows like Nostalgia Critic and such kept getting C&D's, but making a hour-long "review" of a 90 min movie with almost half of the movie being in it, does stretch the concept of fair use quite a bit.

To be fair, if I'd made something I wouldn't want it being in any way associated with the Nostalgia Critic.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

FlamingLiberal posted:

The podcast was called Quibi-something-or-other (I can't be bothered to look it up) and some lawyer got trigger happy about them using the trademarked name of the company in the title. I can kind of see the point about them wanting to avoid confusion and indicate that a podcast is not related to their service, but the way to resolve that is with some friendly, "Hey, would you mind changing your podcast name so it doesn't look like you're an official one? We'll arrange some beanies and interviews with people in exchange."

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

FlamingLiberal posted:

The format probably makes it rarer for podcasts, but it's also probably due to podcasts becoming a thing after the really triggerhappy C&D days of early internet and youtube. Most of that stuff was generated by bots who can't distinguish fair use, or idiots googling their poo poo and throwing legal threats at anyone and everyone they could.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Thing is it's not even a fair use question. It's someone trying to sue a podcast for just talking about them, not using any of their material.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

Gann Jerrod posted:

Holy poo poo. For once Katzenberg ripped off Disney out of spite and jealously instead of other way around.

What's Eisner up to anyways these days?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

bunnyofdoom posted:

Holy poo poo. For once Katzenberg ripped off Disney out of spite and jealously instead of other way around.

What's Eisner up to anyways these days?
Pretty sure he’s retired

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

So when is SoftBank going to buy Quibly?

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Terrible Opinions posted:

Thing is it's not even a fair use question. It's someone trying to sue a podcast for just talking about them, not using any of their material.

A trademark is their material. It just was a pretty stupid idea to try to enforce it that way.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Random Stranger posted:

A trademark is their material. It just was a pretty stupid idea to try to enforce it that way.

Especially for a publicly available premium-only content streaming service, which more than anything needs all the air time and exposure it could get.

And no, this time the "but they got exposure via news" is not the thing. Surely they got small gains, but since they are now known as litigation happy assholes, most media outlets will just drop celebrity gossip and news concerning their shows and specials.

At least until the "these assholes went out of business and are no more".

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
There's no free option, you can't screenshot anything, their marketing is so terrible, they're pushy and litigation happy, Jeffrey Katzenbug is an rear end in a top hat, and Quibi is a terrible name.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

I had to look it up because Quibi is pronounced like kwib-bee which does make a kind of sense but I just keep reading it as kee-bee.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

https://twitter.com/Hello_Tailor/status/1143292605347840000

https://twitter.com/keithcalder/status/1260064302280523778

I want a Fyre Festival-type documentary on Quibi