Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

TheLastRoboKy posted:

We're back in black and by black we mean we're completely in the dark as we're underneath the doona rather than hiding from a pandemic

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS
I feel like the Vic government might've caved into a bit of pressure with the relaxation of the restrictions which is a shame because they were doing fairly well until now.

Just a week or so after a big outbreak showed the virus is still present in the community and capable of infecting large numbers of people in a short space of time, and we decide to relax a bunch of restrictions?

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

Also lol at Frydenberg.

He's going to go full austerity and drive the country into a depression, then use it as an excuse to usher in Workchoices on steroids.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

gay picnic defence posted:

Also lol at Frydenberg.

He's going to go full austerity and drive the country into a depression, then use it as an excuse to usher in Workchoices on steroids.

He's saying that second wave shutdowns would doom business but wants to open poo poo. Please do some revision Joshua.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Fin Review posted:

Secret emails show BHP deal left workers worse off

A Fair Work member appointed by the Coalition secretly emailed in-house modelling to BHP that showed its controversial new enterprise agreement left workers worse off than the award minimum, two hours before he approved the deal.

A full bench judgment revealed deputy president Gerard Boyce's "curious" emails as it overturned his approval of the mining giant's highly contested agreements, championed by chief executive Mike Henry, due to concerns they may fail the Fair Work Act's better off overall test (BOOT).

Neither the emails nor the modelling, prepared by commission staff, were shown to the unions challenging the agreements or referred to in the deputy president's reasons approving the deal.

"Therefore, it must be presumed, [the modelling] was not considered by the deputy president," the bench said.

The incident will bring further scrutiny on the deputy president, a former barrister appointed by the Morrison government at the end of 2018 and who has previously been criticised for approving contested agreements before providing reasons and once having a life-size cut-out of Donald Trump in his chambers.

Opposition industrial relations spokesman Tony Burke said the deputy president's latest actions had damaged the commission's independence and the government needed to justify his continued appointment.

"This man is a joke," he said.

"The problem for the taxpayer is he is a $460,000-a-year-joke. The problem for workers is there is mounting evidence he's just not up to the job."

BHP's operation services agreements covered more than 2300 staff for tasks previously done by labour-hire contractors.

Mining unions strongly opposed the deals and argued they undermined long-standing industry agreements that ensured higher pay for coal miners.

A full bench majority, headed by vice president Adam Hatcher, found Mr Boyce made "erroneous" comparisons with the award including that workers' rates were 125 per cent more under the agreements but without considering penalty rates, overtime or allowances.

While the appeal decision did not turn on the secret modelling because it was presumed the deputy president's decision had not considered it, the majority highlighted what it described as "the curious episode".

According to the bench, at 2.57pm on December 19, Mr Boyce's chambers emailed modelling to BHP that showed salary rates in its production agreement failed the BOOT but unusually did not copy in the unions.

The email started with the words "as discussed" but the bench said the "circumstances and context of this prior discussion are not apparent".

At 4.43pm, BHP's lawyers replied that the modelling was inaccurate and that the agreement passed the BOOT.

Fifteen minutes later, the deputy president published decisions approving the agreements.

Construction, Forestry, Maritime, Mining and Energy Union senior legal officer Alex Bukarica said the union was "surprised" to discover the email exchange and questioned why the deputy president had only asked BHP for information on the modelling.

"Whether an agreement leaves workers better off overall than the award is critical as a matter of law and community expectation.

"Had we been included in this important exchange, we would have raised issues about discrepancies in the calculations being relied on.”

The commission has previously criticised Mr Boyce for approving Hungry Jack's agreement without reasons and then handing down a statement three months later disagreeing with his own decision, one week before an appeal hearing.

In the BHP case, it took more than a year for Mr Boyce to approve the agreements and he didn't hand down his reasons until a month later, more than two weeks after unions had appealed his ruling.

The bench said that delay was "inappropriate" and even then, his reasons were primarily about his decision to allow unions to appear in the case, "replete" with criticism of the unions for participating.

"We consider that the aspersions of obstructionism and delay on the part of the unions to have been gratuitous, particularly in circumstances where the deputy president took an entire year to complete his consideration of the applications before him," the majority said.

Mr Burke noted that since Mr Boyce's appointment he had been counselled for making partisan and anti-union posts on LinkedIn, attracted complaints for allegedly decorating his office with scantily-clad figurines, and accused of setting up spy cameras in his office.

"Now this," he said. "He has damaged the commission's reputation as a professional, fair and impartial umpire.

"The government should explain why they think Mr Boyce is a fit and proper person to hold his position."

Asked for comment from Mr Boyce, a commission spokeswoman said it was not appropriate for members to comment on decisions.

Jesus christ the fair loving work commission.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
boyce is also the pedophile figurine collector yeah?

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
the fair work comm got stacked with LNP cronies a few years ago

Mad Katter
Aug 23, 2010

STOP THE BATS

I feel like the Vic government might've caved into a bit of pressure with the relaxation of the restrictions which is a shame because they were doing fairly well until now.

Just a week or so after a big outbreak showed the virus is still present in the community and capable of infecting large numbers of people in a short space of time, and we decide to relax a bunch of restrictions?

Yeah I'm feeling very concerned for the same reasons.

CelestialScribe
Jan 16, 2008

A week ago, people were telling me to shut up and listen to the experts.

The experts are now saying relaxing restrictions are okay. Why aren't you listening to them?

Mad Katter
Aug 23, 2010

STOP THE BATS

CelestialScribe posted:

The experts are now saying relaxing restrictions are okay. Why aren't you listening to them?

The reason for this is that governments around the world and particularly in the anglosphere have prioritised profits over public health, resulting in over a hundred thousand dead people across the UK and United States.

Forgive people for being sceptical when the Liberal government led by an advertising man tells us that everything is fine and we should be getting back to work.

CelestialScribe
Jan 16, 2008

Mad Katter posted:

The reason for this is that governments around the world and particularly in the anglosphere have prioritised profits over public health, resulting in over a hundred thousand dead people across the UK and United States.

Forgive people for being sceptical when the Liberal government led by an advertising man tells us that everything is fine and we should be getting back to work.

The Vic Government is Labor, but sure, go off.

Mad Katter
Aug 23, 2010

STOP THE BATS

CelestialScribe posted:

Yeah I'm aware of who is in government here in Victoria, but the conversation was specifically about the vuc state government caving to pressure and the positions of the federal government and other state governments are relevant to the discussion here.

But sure, have another meltdown about being stuck inside with YOUR SON.

CelestialScribe
Jan 16, 2008

Mad Katter posted:

Yeah I'm aware of who is in government here in Victoria, but the conversation was specifically about the vuc state government caving to pressure and the positions of the federal government and other state governments are relevant to the discussion here.

But sure, have another meltdown about being stuck inside with YOUR SON.

The truth is that this thread is perfectly happy to listen to experts when it validates its own internal doomsday thinking, but as soon as the same experts state something they disagree with, "oh, well, must be caving to external pressure, its Scomo, somehow...despite them not caving at all before this, its Scomo!!!"

The truth is that you just don't want to see this happen because you want to validate your own fears.

EDIT: Schools open May 26, as they should, so I'm perfectly happy, thanks.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Does that mean you'll stop posting

Mad Katter
Aug 23, 2010

STOP THE BATS

CelestialScribe posted:

The truth is that this thread is perfectly happy to listen to experts when it validates its own internal doomsday thinking, but as soon as the same experts state something they disagree with, "oh, well, must be caving to external pressure, its Scomo, somehow...despite them not caving at all before this, its Scomo!!!"

The truth is that you just don't want to see this happen because you want to validate your own fears.

EDIT: Schools open May 26, as they should, so I'm perfectly happy, thanks.

Nah people are just cautious.It's probably okay to have concerns and want to discuss them with other people.

CelestialScribe
Jan 16, 2008

Mad Katter posted:

Nah people are just cautious.It's probably okay to have concerns and want to discuss them with other people.

That's really different from "the Vic government is just caving to the big bad feds and the state health expert is only doing this under duress"

Mad Katter
Aug 23, 2010

STOP THE BATS

CelestialScribe posted:

That's really different from "the Vic government is just caving to the big bad feds and the state health expert is only doing this under duress"

Okay

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.
Frydenberg currently dying during his press conference. He just had a coughing fit and couldn’t speak for like two minutes

teacup
Dec 20, 2006

= M I L K E R S =
I disagree re: vic. We are waiting on schools for two weeks. We are also not opening restaurants and groups are still small. We also decided this on doing 150,000 cases and only getting 30 hits from that (with the outbreak at the meat place largely in quarantine)

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before
yeah the thing is the restrictions are easing. It's not like it's ALL IN BABY WOOP WOOP OPEN UP

although in saying that a disappointing amount of people who absolutely do not need to be there are going back into the office

Stevefin
Sep 30, 2013

People are taking the easing as all is open. cause people are just dumb, just that simple

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

CelestialScribe posted:

I'm not convinced the experts (medical ones at least) actually advised the current relaxation. Their advice to cabinet is confidential so we may not ever know what they recommended.

It just doesn't make a lot of sense, when there's clearly examples of community transmission, to make it easier for said community transmission to take place.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

Zenithe posted:

Frydenberg currently dying during his press conference. He just had a coughing fit and couldn’t speak for like two minutes

JoFry got the roni

screaden
Apr 8, 2009
Is there a layman's writeup about why bringing the deficit "back to black" is misunderstood/doesn't work/isn't needed? From an economical standpoint I don't understand it.

CelestialScribe
Jan 16, 2008

I'm not convinced the experts (medical ones at least) actually advised the current relaxation. Their advice to cabinet is confidential so we may not ever know what they recommended.

It just doesn't make a lot of sense, when there's clearly examples of community transmission, to make it easier for said community transmission to take place.

You can't claim that Sutton knows all one week, "just listen to the experts", and then when an easing happens, claim he doesn't know what the gently caress he's talking about.

He was up there in front of the press this morning saying that schools opening is perfectly safe.

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

It's kind of fun to watch as people are realising they can't stand to be around their partners and kids and are going into manic states as they do anything they can to escape them, even if for a moment.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

JBP posted:

He's saying that second wave shutdowns would doom business but wants to open poo poo. Please do some revision Joshua.

What these fuckwits fail to understand is that once a new outbreak takes hold a significant number of people will voluntarily self isolate which will gently caress business regardless of what the rules around social distancing actually permit.

We're probably going to end up in a worst of both worlds situation where enough people are interacting to enable the virus to simmer away nicely with regular outbreaks, but not enough people are actually confident enough to go out and spend money so the economy still craters.

There's plenty of examples of this from the US where businesses gleefully reopened because their chud governor said they could, only to lose money because they had 2 customers over a weekend.

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Once upon a time, I would have thrown you halfway to the moon for a crack like that.

CrazyTolradi posted:

It's kind of fun to watch as people are realising they can't stand to be around their partners and kids and are going into manic states as they do anything they can to escape them, even if for a moment.

meanwhile all the lesbians are like "are the straights okay"

CelestialScribe
Jan 16, 2008

What these fuckwits fail to understand is that once a new outbreak takes hold a significant number of people will voluntarily self isolate which will gently caress business regardless of what the rules around social distancing actually permit.

We're probably going to end up in a worst of both worlds situation where enough people are interacting to enable the virus to simmer away nicely with regular outbreaks, but not enough people are actually confident enough to go out and spend money so the economy still craters.

There's plenty of examples of this from the US where businesses gleefully reopened because their chud governor said they could, only to lose money because they had 2 customers over a weekend.

Do you have a better idea? Because medical experts have said elimination is not a viable outcome.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

CelestialScribe posted:

Do you have a better idea? Because medical experts have said elimination is not a viable outcome.

Pretty sure a couple of weeks ago medical experts said we were on track to eradicate it, but I guess the parents-who-can't stand-having-their-kids-at-home lobby cracked the whip and the government fell into line.

If the Kiwis can do then I don't see why we can't.

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

CrazyTolradi posted:

except for the spike in domestic violence

that's not fun

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

CelestialScribe posted:

Just because the opposition says Labor is anti-business doesn't mean they won't sell out in a second.

Granite Octopus
Jun 24, 2008

Yeah I'm really curious about this...

Regardless of what happens I'll be staying inside for the foreseeable future. I'm lucky enough I can continue to work 100% from home, so aside from my weekly shop I'll still have zero interaction with outside people. Just doesn't seem like it's worth the risk.

My work has also said they won't be returning to fully populating the office again until at least next year, because again, its not worth the risk. I do feel sorry for people in industries where they won't have a choice but to expose themselves and their families to this risk.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

WA is already in this situation. Businesses aren't opening because there's no point serving twenty people even with jobkeeper. Might as well just stay poo poo and pay everyone jobkeeper than open and fail to profit anyway.

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Once upon a time, I would have thrown you halfway to the moon for a crack like that.

GoldStandardConure posted:

except for the spike in domestic violence

that's not fun

yeah there are a few very incredibly lovely consequences of all this.

- family violence increasing
- poor kids unable to do distance learning
- kids with disabilities not getting the support they need
- people falling through the cracks
- unbridled racism

plenty of other stuff too. but the kind of realisation that usually comes when couples enter into retirement - i.e. I don't actually like spending time with this person without a buffer of other people because I find them irritating - is much more benign and amusing

UrbanLabyrinth
Jan 28, 2009

When my eyes were stabbed by the flash of a neon light
That split the night
And touched the sound of silence

College Slice
In a meeting with upper management today, our (Victoria, university student counselling) team was told we're unlikely to be back on-campus before the end of 2020.

Purk
Aug 9, 2017

Granite Octopus posted:

Yeah I'm really curious about this...

Regardless of what happens I'll be staying inside for the foreseeable future. I'm lucky enough I can continue to work 100% from home, so aside from my weekly shop I'll still have zero interaction with outside people. Just doesn't seem like it's worth the risk.

My work has also said they won't be returning to fully populating the office again until at least next year, because again, its not worth the risk. I do feel sorry for people in industries where they won't have a choice but to expose themselves and their families to this risk.

Nothing is getting me on a packed city-bound train anytime soon. I was working from home most days before the pandemic and will be dragging my feet in returning to the office for as long as I can.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

There are good arguments to open and curb family violence, depression, ease economic difficulty and other social reasons. Main problem is that it's going to be very easy to gently caress it up and kill an equal number of people or greater and then enjoy businesses getting dead for real due to a second wave closure exhausting their dwindling cash reserves.

I was having a chat with a mate that owns a cafe in Seddon and he said he's happy and fine right now trying to follow the rules and serving takeaway but he's very scared of opening to limited capacity since he will need to broaden menus again, pay service staff and hawk-eye patron spacing. His current stance is that he will eat poo poo until he absolutely must give it a go in mid-June when he says he will basically have no choice but to try or die.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

quote:

"Encouraging personal responsibility, maximising personal choice, rewarding effort and risk-taking, while ensuring a safety net which is underpinned by a sense of decency and fairness," he said. "The values and principles that have guided Coalition reforms in the past must guide us again in the future.

"The proven path for paying back debt is not through higher taxes, which curtails aspiration and investment, but by growing the economy through productivity-enhancing reforms," Mr Frydenberg added.

The Treasurer flagged the country's $100 billion in infrastructure projects pledged over the next decade, "tax and industrial relations reform", and "reskilling and upskilling the workforce" as ways to boost the economy.

Looks like we're getting Workchoices 2: More work, less choice

I look forward to the ALP waving this through

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

JBP posted:

There are good arguments to open and curb family violence, depression, ease economic difficulty and other social reasons. Main problem is that it's going to be very easy to gently caress it up and kill an equal number of people or greater and then enjoy businesses getting dead for real due to a second wave closure exhausting their dwindling cash reserves.

I was having a chat with a mate that owns a cafe in Seddon and he said he's happy and fine right now trying to follow the rules and serving takeaway but he's very scared of opening to limited capacity since he will need to broaden menus again, pay service staff and hawk-eye patron spacing. His current stance is that he will eat poo poo until he absolutely must give it a go in mid-June when he says he will basically have no choice but to try or die.

The US is looking at modelling predicting 3,000 deaths a day from June, which is horrifying in scope.

Putting businesses in the position of opening and going bust or not opening and going bust seems like a bad decision and the government needs to be supporting everyone during what is clearly going to be a transitional period while we open and close trying to stay on top of outbreaks/infections. Basically they need to keep jobkeeper, if they want businesses to open, there needs to be support for them to survive with far less patronage and they need to keep up the increased rate for those without work if they want anyone to be spending money.

I do wonder if Australia could pursue an eradication scenario (some states seem like they are already there) and then force every entrant to 2 week quarantine until we have a vaccine. Who knows which choice causes less harm.