Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
you totally nailed it.

They look fantastic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
so it turns out this guy's pauldrons can't accommodate a transfer :doh:

and I'm not sure if its just glue from the transfer or hardcoat or what but now I have a shiny shoulder angry marine and the matte-ing doesn't seem to have taken it away yet :smith:

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
I have a strong feeling I'm going to have to repaint that shoulder now :smith:

edit: never mind, he might be OK after letting the matte sit for a bit + a little retouch in a couple spots

Arcteryx Anarchist fucked around with this message at 05:58 on May 11, 2020

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

I'm painting up some of the new Sisters of Battle and I'm on the struggle bus when it comes to the white on their helmets. It just seems so flat. I'm doing the classic Our Martyred Lady scheme.

I'm using Ulthuan Grey for my white base and I've tried to edge highlight with White Scar, but it's just not doing it for me.

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

Grundma posted:

I've been painting a lot and over the past few weekends have done a ton of progress on my Ogres:

Those bases are great, I really like the flowers

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Floppychop posted:

I'm painting up some of the new Sisters of Battle and I'm on the struggle bus when it comes to the white on their helmets. It just seems so flat. I'm doing the classic Our Martyred Lady scheme.

I'm using Ulthuan Grey for my white base and I've tried to edge highlight with White Scar, but it's just not doing it for me.

You could try basecoating in Administratum Grey for extra contrast, highlighting with Ulthuan and then straight white

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

Floppychop posted:

Do the helmets need shading at all? If so, one of the better uses I’ve seen for the GW Apothecary White contrast paint is basically using it as a wash for when you’re building up white.

Ulthuan Grey -> wash the whole thing in Apothecary White -> go back over flat/highlighted areas with Ulthuan Grey again -> highlight with pure white as normal

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).
Empty sprues, in the plastic bin or in general waste?

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Ineptitude posted:

why not just hoard them forever

Grundma
Mar 26, 2007

DOG controls your destiny. Seek out three items of his favor and then seek his shrine.

Winklebottom posted:

Those bases are great, I really like the flowers

Thanks! The last bases I did a bunch of were industrial so I wanted to do the opposite and have these covered in plants

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).

jesus WEP posted:

why not just hoard them forever

Is that a genuine question or a meme im not getting?

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
I think people hoard them on the principle they might use them for something, and don’t.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Ineptitude posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o6L4dN_uyv8

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Torquemada posted:

I think people hoard them on the principle they might use them for something, and don’t.
its this yeah

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
You don't really need sprues for testing paint like some say, just prime the back of a plastic spoon and practice all you want. Though I realize that's easier said with an airbrush, but the principle remains the same. You can also strip the spoon

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

jesus WEP posted:

its this yeah

Hella guilty of this. I have like 1½ plastic bags of just sprues tucked under my bed that I should probably just throw away at some point. At most I use the straightest and cleanest sections for my model holders.

Cooked Auto fucked around with this message at 17:14 on May 11, 2020

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
Their rhombus cross section made them ideal for a base adornment of rusting copper bars I made once: this caused me to save hundreds for other projects that I’ll never do.

Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013
The question of keeping sprues makes me think all of you are just cutting all your bits off of all your sprues, even the unused bits? I've just been keeping things on the sprues so I don't have like a hundred unused arms in a bag somewhere.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
Does anyone have experience with Infinity stuff? I’m feeling like a change from Necromunda and 40k stuff, and some of their more manga looking stuff looks fun to paint.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Torquemada posted:

Does anyone have experience with Infinity stuff? I’m feeling like a change from Necromunda and 40k stuff, and some of their more manga looking stuff looks fun to paint.

They're all metal and have extremely thin limbs/points of contact, which means they're a pain in the rear end to assemble and keep assembled, even with pinning.

Ceebees
Nov 2, 2011

I'm intentionally being as verbose as possible in negotiations for my own amusement.

Torquemada posted:

I tried it once and was miserable. They deal exclusively in multi part pewter that actively rejects superglue no matter how you wash it.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Werix posted:

The question of keeping sprues makes me think all of you are just cutting all your bits off of all your sprues, even the unused bits? I've just been keeping things on the sprues so I don't have like a hundred unused arms in a bag somewhere.

The bag takes up less space than the sprues and I like using random leftover bits for parts of bases sometimes

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
Thank for the quick replies! That’s disappointing to hear. I didn’t even realise they were in bits, they look all one piece on the site (one of the reasons I found them attractive).

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

Torquemada posted:

Thank for the quick replies! That’s disappointing to hear. I didn’t even realise they were in bits, they look all one piece on the site (one of the reasons I found them attractive).

They take a bit more work than plastic but with fresh super glue and some joint scoring they're fine. Most of my stuff isn't pinned and it holds up fine. Had a guy take a tumble a few months back and just lost an out-stretched limb. Some of the older models are in a lot of pieces, not nearly as many as Malifaux. New models have been designed to have as few pieces as possible with large contact points but this makes customizing more difficult.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Werix posted:

You may have more storage space or less models than other people. I have a harbor freight parts box that I clip and store spare bits after a build. That one box that is 16" x 12"x 2" replaces a box to store all the sprue which would probably be like 20"x 12" x 10"

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Cat Face Joe posted:

They take a bit more work than plastic but with fresh super glue and some joint scoring they're fine. Most of my stuff isn't pinned and it holds up fine. Had a guy take a tumble a few months back and just lost an out-stretched limb. Some of the older models are in a lot of pieces, not nearly as many as Malifaux. New models have been designed to have as few pieces as possible with large contact points but this makes customizing more difficult.

Ah, ok. I don’t care about the customisation because I don’t play Infinity or even know anything about it: just looking for some clean sci fi lines to paint.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!
I just ordered the USAriadna army box to paint cause they look rad so I'll post how well they assemble when they get here.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.

Sultan Tarquin posted:

I just ordered the USAriadna army box to paint cause they look rad so I'll post how well they assemble when they get here.

This is literally the same thing that got me into Infinity, so exercise due caution.

Torquemada posted:

Ah, ok. I don’t care about the customisation because I don’t play Infinity or even know anything about it: just looking for some clean sci fi lines to paint.

I would try out a single model from the ALEPH or O12 ranges, in that case. They're probably the sci-fiest things in the product line, and you can figure out if you hate assembling pewter models without much financial risk. Your best bet is to try and grab one of the newer CAD sculpts, since they'll be less fiddly to assemble and a hell of a lot sharper. Anything O12 is brand new, but ALEPH is a mixed bag.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
With my Necron's done for the moment, I've shifted over to my next project:

Really happy with how they're turning out. Just a little unsure on the bases.

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

Torquemada posted:

If you don't plan on pushing them around a table you'll be fine. I give them a scrub before I assemble them. Fresh super glue is extremely key though. I get new stuff every 90 days but up to six months is probably fine if they're just for painting.

Sultan Tarquin posted:

This is a pretty safe box. Nothing super complicated like tiny head fins.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!
Oh fresh superglue. I should probably pick up a tube of that. Mine is 2 years old.

mccnaol
May 26, 2018
Some additional Goblins for my Orc blood bowl team. Formally "Da 'Ornets" now "Da Murda 'Ornets" after seeing those monsters on Facebook 🤣. I love the snot/blood coming out of the goblins nose. Such a nice little bit of detail.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Cat Face Joe posted:

If you don't plan on pushing them around a table you'll be fine. I give them a scrub before I assemble them. Fresh super glue is extremely key though. I get new stuff every 90 days but up to six months is probably fine if they're just for painting.

Thanks for the advice! I got a couple of units, a sniper and an nco with a spotbot… whatever that is.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Torquemada posted:

You may wanna look at HINT (Human Interface something something) then, it's got a similar style, I got a few models for Infinity proxies and the quality was excellent.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free
I got a cheap infinity model and be warned they're also in a smaller scale than GW stuff, the model is loving tiny and at the time I got it I was way not good enough to paint something like that

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

I posted this in the unspiration thread Re: enamel paints and what my 12yo self did with them on the left, but I figured the one on the right (which I'm finishing up today) was decent enough to post here.

23-ish years between them, with on-off periods of hobbying, mostly off unfortunately.

Still one of my all-time favorite minis.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

KozmoNaut posted:

I posted this in the unspiration thread Re: enamel paints and what my 12yo self did with them on the left, but I figured the one on the right (which I'm finishing up today) was decent enough to post here.

23-ish years between them, with on-off periods of hobbying, mostly off unfortunately.

Still one of my all-time favorite minis.

Need to mod 3 more so they can do YMCA.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Buff Necromancer did try out for The Village People, but he lost out to Buff Stereotypical Indian Chief.

Thanqol
Feb 15, 2012

because our character has the 'poet' trait, this update shall be told in the format of a rap battle.

Torquemada posted:

The old stuff is a nightmare, as people have said, but the newer stuff tends to be much better - 1 or 2 piece sculpts for basic dudes. If you just get recent stuff you'll get some cool variety.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I need some help coming up with some stupid blood/violence/Khorne themed puns for the positions in a human Blood Bowl team. Blitzer is obviously bloodzer, and catcher could be cutcher, but I'm stumped about thrower and lineman. Does anyone have any ideas?
It'll be written on their bases, so it okay if it really stupid.