Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pdpreciousroy
Jan 18, 2020

Zanzibar Ham posted:

Did I miss or forget something? Does Gabe actually cheat in that chess game somehow, or is it a 'I couldn't have lost fairly, you must have cheated!' sorta deal?

Laura is just that lovely kid who throws a tantrum everywhere you take her. I've come to accept it in these dark times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theenglishman
Jun 24, 2009

pdpreciousroy posted:

Laura is just that lovely kid who throws a tantrum everywhere you take her. I've come to accept it in these dark times.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
See, now is when I have to question the video game logic of one part of this game - The pickups and puzzle hints and lore bits dropped on the knights.

For flavor reasons, the pickups are strewn about on the bodies of your fallen comrades, and if it was just the crystal pieces here and there, it would make sense, and be OK. But because of the notes that are written alongside it, they make it seem like the nameless knights got there ahead of you. And I can deal with that for some of the traversal/puzzle stuff. In the first few levels, there are the guys who lament that "oh, if only I could somehow add a chain to my whip/cross/stake, then I could break open this obstruction. Alas, that power up is beyond my ability to obtain safely and monsters draw near". OK, that works, and presumably every body you encounter past that got the power up and was able to continue. And I could even see the monsters in Dracula's service respawning and being compelled to reset the puzzles after each knight successfully makes it through.

But at this point in the story, we had to beat the vampire child in a battle of Evil Chess in order to be allowed to progress. And it didn't sound like she received any visitors previously, and it also sounded like it wouldn't be possible to sneak past her. So how did these knights, and presumably any future knights we see, get here?

theenglishman
Jun 24, 2009

CzarChasm posted:

See, now is when I have to question the video game logic of one part of this game - The pickups and puzzle hints and lore bits dropped on the knights.

For flavor reasons, the pickups are strewn about on the bodies of your fallen comrades, and if it was just the crystal pieces here and there, it would make sense, and be OK. But because of the notes that are written alongside it, they make it seem like the nameless knights got there ahead of you. And I can deal with that for some of the traversal/puzzle stuff. In the first few levels, there are the guys who lament that "oh, if only I could somehow add a chain to my whip/cross/stake, then I could break open this obstruction. Alas, that power up is beyond my ability to obtain safely and monsters draw near". OK, that works, and presumably every body you encounter past that got the power up and was able to continue. And I could even see the monsters in Dracula's service respawning and being compelled to reset the puzzles after each knight successfully makes it through.

But at this point in the story, we had to beat the vampire child in a battle of Evil Chess in order to be allowed to progress. And it didn't sound like she received any visitors previously, and it also sounded like it wouldn't be possible to sneak past her. So how did these knights, and presumably any future knights we see, get here?

That's another great point.

Uh...let's just say a wizard did it.

For those who have beaten the game (seriously these are big spoilers), we can speculate that Zobek wrote those messages (or Satan "suggested" that he write them) to make sure Gabriel completed the God Mask.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!
In games like these I always assume that NPCs found a different way around. Things like invisible walls just exist for gameplay convenience.

theenglishman
Jun 24, 2009

It's time for a Castlevania tradition: The Clock Tower Level! Also we have fun with the idea of a Dark Lady breaking the glass ceiling. Maybe once her identity is revealed I'll make a "You’ve Come A Long Way, Baby" parody poster with her in it.

No Travel Book Updates

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

theenglishman posted:

It's time for a Castlevania tradition: The Clock Tower Level! Also we have fun with the idea of a Dark Lady breaking the glass ceiling. Maybe once her identity is revealed I'll make a "You’ve Come A Long Way, Baby" parody poster with her in it.

Well, I mean, twist my arm why don't you.

Spoilers in that image, obviously.

theenglishman
Jun 24, 2009

Kurieg posted:

Well, I mean, twist my arm why don't you.

Spoilers in that image, obviously.

Oh my god that is amazing! As soon as I post video 21 in a few days, that's going in the second post under (spoiler-tagged) fan-art.

(Also I think that's the first time I've ever gotten fan-art of one of my LPs. I feel so happy :swoon: )

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

Maybe it's just me, but are the sub-weapons not really useful past a certain point? It feels like you hold on to them as you play. I only really noticed because you keep getting the pop-ups of "you can't carry any more ____" as you go along.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
I'm very much in the STAB LAURA!! camp.

CzarChasm posted:

Maybe it's just me, but are the sub-weapons not really useful past a certain point? It feels like you hold on to them as you play. I only really noticed because you keep getting the pop-ups of "you can't carry any more ____" as you go along.
They get less necessary rather less useful. Holy Water, for example, is as powerful against vampires as ever (and I found its shield invaluable throughout the entire rest of the game); theenglishman is good enough at the fighting system not to have to rely on it. Daggers are consistently useful but you don't get that many enemies weak to them so it's just ranged damage and the fairies were always a gimmick.
I'd say they keep being useful but as you get better moves you can get by without them more easily.

e: There's also the constant worry of "what if I need the ammo later" to consider.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 18:53 on May 6, 2020

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Oh hey, we can almost afford one of those 25k super moves.

theenglishman
Jun 24, 2009

Two boss fights in a row in today's update, and...Jesus Christ, Gabriel, why the gently caress would you do that?!

I won't have time to update the Travel Book today, but I may have some free time tomorrow morning. Only two additions will be needed, for Olrox and Carmilla.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

So where is Carmella from prior to this game?

Also, if you don't destroy the hanging bodies in the first boss fight can he keep going back to them and heal up?

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Look, there was a woman and she was not stabbed. That's how it goes for Ladykiller over here.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

CzarChasm posted:

So where is Carmella from prior to this game?
Not sure if it's her first appearance, but she is definitely in Circle of the Moon.

I honestly don't blame the devs for all the gratuitous violence and thrice-repeated exposition; they really wanted to hammer the whole "Gabriel is a monster" point home and clearly had no confidence in their writing (which, let's face it, is entirely justified). The air ride at the end is really cool, too, it's just the way it ends that makes me wince.

e: I think Olrox can heal up if you don't destroy the bodies but I don't remember it that well; honestly found him easier than Brauner since the game doesn't expect you to do projectile grabbing this time.

Bookthief
Jan 28, 2019
It is a rather nice if horrifying touch that Gabriel's finishing moves on enemies gets progressively more and more brutal as the story progress and he receives upgrades.
There's the just business like stabbing of the lycans, but then you progress to setting off the grenades on the goblins and letting them run around.

theenglishman
Jun 24, 2009

anilEhilated posted:

Not sure if it's her first appearance, but she is definitely in Circle of the Moon.
Carmilla has been in the series since Castlevania II, but she normally looks like this (and misspelled Camilla a lot of the time). I also didn't realize that Laura is also a character in older Castlevania games: Carmilla and Laura are dual bosses in Rondo of Blood, and Laura is a common enemy in Portrait of Ruin.

(Carmilla, along with Laura, is from a public-domain vampire novel - I erroneously say at one point in the LP that Laura was based on Lucy Westenra, sorry about that.)

anilEhilated posted:

e: I think Olrox can heal up if you don't destroy the bodies but I don't remember it that well; honestly found him easier than Brauner since the game doesn't expect you to do projectile grabbing this time.
You are correct. The latter phases of Olrox' fight are a quasi-puzzle, where he will continue to heal if you don't destroy his food source, i.e. the bodies in the coffins.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!
I mean, can we really claim that Carmilla's death was too brutal, when even after the most brutal parts of it, she was still alive? Seems to me that Gabe wasn't being brutal enough.

One thing we can all agree on is that she had very advanced double-sided tape technology for the era.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Seraphic Neoman posted:

Oh hey, we can almost afford one of those 25k super moves.

speak of the devil

In retrospect, probably should have slept with the vampire and not kill her

theenglishman
Jun 24, 2009

Schwartzcough posted:

I mean, can we really claim that Carmilla's death was too brutal, when even after the most brutal parts of it, she was still alive? Seems to me that Gabe wasn't being brutal enough.

I might have agreed with you if we didn’t also get lengthy reaction shots of Gabriel with that animalistic snarl showing that he was really, really enjoying himself. He probably could have instantly downed Carmilla by staking her heart, but he was playing with his food.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I think we're all ignoring the bigger question of how both Carmilla and Gabriel ended up back right beside each other in the same boss arena after surviving the fall from the collapsing spire several hundred feet up.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

Kibayasu posted:

I think we're all ignoring the bigger question of how both Carmilla and Gabriel ended up back right beside each other in the same boss arena after surviving the fall from the collapsing spire several hundred feet up.

That's easy. Invisible walls. This game is lousy with them.

theenglishman
Jun 24, 2009

Finally got around to updating the Travel Book. The next video should be up tomorrow, and we'll be playing Chapter 9.

For those of you who have played this game before, you know exactly what's in store for us...

theenglishman
Jun 24, 2009

Oh look it's the worst chapter in the game. But not the worst level in the game. That's next time.

In the meantime, enjoy. You'll have more fun than I did, I promise you.

TRAVEL BOOK UPDATES:
  • New Character: Baba Yaga
  • A whole bunch of stuff I missed from previous updates is now in the book as well, plus a link to the fanart that Kurieg made earlier. If anyone else wants to make fanart, go right ahead!
  • Unfortunately, I had to get rid of the Polsy links because otherwise the second post would be longer than 50,000 characters :(

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
"Cool-looking but not fun to fight" is basically how the rest of the game goes. Well, until the DLC cuts out the "cool-looking" part.

e: I have to retroactively and somewhat grudgingly admit that Baba Yaga does some interesting foreshadowing, even if you're bound to forget about it in the madness that follows.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 17:02 on May 15, 2020

theenglishman
Jun 24, 2009

anilEhilated posted:

"Cool-looking but not fun to fight" is basically how the rest of the game goes. Well, until the DLC cuts out the "cool-looking" part.

I have to admit, I begrudgingly admire the DLC. I don't especially like it, but I appreciate that MercurySteam went out of their way to squeeze as many original ideas as they could out of their engine and put all of the gimmicks they could imagine into one level pack rather than simply making a corridor of combat arenas with some low-effort cutscenes in between. It has a style and a purpose, and it sticks to its guns.

If only it was fun to play, too.

For everyone in the thread who's played this game already, I am looking forward to hearing your music box war stories once I upload that video.

theenglishman fucked around with this message at 17:21 on May 15, 2020

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo

theenglishman posted:

I might have agreed with you if we didn’t also get lengthy reaction shots of Gabriel with that animalistic snarl showing that he was really, really enjoying himself. He probably could have instantly downed Carmilla by staking her heart, but he was playing with his food.

lol he impales her with a building and she survives, he’s not playing with anything

I really don’t get the whole “Gabriel is a monster” narrative the game obviously wants to push, and didn’t get it when I played it years ago either. He’s killing monsters that have depopulated whole parts of the countryside, killed and tortured tons of people and who are also going after him hard. Am I really supposed to feel bad when fantasy Hitler gets taken down?

“The vampire antichrist is trying to escape but i should probably let her go, it wouldn’t be a good look if I did everything in my power to stop her from killing a shitload more people”

edit: to be clear I’m not saying you’re wrong when you talk about it since the game is obviously insisting upon it by having the boss, in a post-Austin-Powers world unironically say “we’re not so different, you and I” — just that they don’t make the argument very convincingly when Gabriel is killing, like, the literal embodiments of Capital E evil.

Bonaventure fucked around with this message at 18:49 on May 15, 2020

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

It's the issue with the game's tell-don't-show story.

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo
[a snoring Zobek starts awake] UH! Uh, where--what time--uh- Gabriel was angry! He was very angry. Inappropriately so.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Bonaventure posted:

lol he impales her with a building and she survives, he’s not playing with anything

I really don’t get the whole “Gabriel is a monster” narrative the game obviously wants to push, and didn’t get it when I played it years ago either. He’s killing monsters that have depopulated whole parts of the countryside, killed and tortured tons of people and who are also going after him hard. Am I really supposed to feel bad when fantasy Hitler gets taken down?

“The vampire antichrist is trying to escape but i should probably let her go, it wouldn’t be a good look if I did everything in my power to stop her from killing a shitload more people”

edit: to be clear I’m not saying you’re wrong when you talk about it since the game is obviously insisting upon it by having the boss, in a post-Austin-Powers world unironically say “we’re not so different, you and I” — just that they don’t make the argument very convincingly when Gabriel is killing, like, the literal embodiments of Capital E evil.

I can't talk about it right now because spoilers but if I remember, I will have words about this game's plot and how it deals with Gabriel's Evilness.

theenglishman
Jun 24, 2009

Kurieg posted:

I can't talk about it right now because spoilers but if I remember, I will have words about this game's plot and how it deals with Gabriel's Evilness.

The DLC does a lot to backfill-retcon parts of the big twist to have it make more sense, but when the game first came out, I can see why gamers would be angry or just plain stunned becomes it comes out of loving nowhere! I can't wait to get to the ending.

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo
I never played the DLC and I am eager to see how badly it sucks

theenglishman
Jun 24, 2009

Bonaventure posted:

I never played the DLC and I am eager to see how badly it sucks

See my earlier post responding to anilEhilated regarding my thoughts on the DLC. I don't dislike it as much as others do, but it's definitely got problems.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Oh, there will be words about the DLC yet. I honestly think it soured me on the rest of the game a bit, although I do appreciate its place in the story, it's just that the entire thing is an exercise in bad design.

FWIW I agree with your assessment "it has a style and a purpose", it's just that the purpose is to get people to buy more controllers by replacing ones thrown at walls. But I believe this thread firmly established that I'm bad at this game so I am really looking forward to seeing a competent run.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

Could you farm the headless burrowers for magic orbs if they just stay stuck in that dizzy animation?

OK, commented before seeing Yaga and the Scarecrows, those designs are great.

CzarChasm fucked around with this message at 03:47 on May 16, 2020

theenglishman
Jun 24, 2009

CzarChasm posted:

Could you farm the headless burrowers for magic orbs if they just stay stuck in that dizzy animation?

Sadly, no. The same goes for enemies like Animated Armours, Greater Lycanthropes, and any bosses in a dizzy state waiting to be QTE'd. You won't break your focus meter by hitting them, but you won't get extra orbs for it either.

theenglishman
Jun 24, 2009

It's time to face the music, in more ways than one.

TRAVEL BOOK UPDATES: None.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I like that the carpet matched the trap/cylinder color so you don't have to memorize what trap is where.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Christ. I really don't want to bring it back, but my war story: remember that last gem? I didn't, even though I checked a collectible guide beforehand. So I went through the level a second time while being on quite the tilt - the platforms are spaced just awkwardly enough it actually requires some aiming and that fire does a great job of catching you off-guard, not to mention THE loving LIGHTNING - and was so happy I finally made it past the traps to the end I forgot about the reason I was there in the first.
So yeah, ended up playing this thing three times in a row. For what it's worth, I don't think it is the worst platforming sequence in the game, that will come in the DLC, but the entire concept of the level is frustrating as gently caress.

Really glad you edited out the voice, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

To be fair the folklore version of Baba Yaga was a cannibal who heroes have to trick to avoid being eaten, so that detail tracks.

Her house is not perched in giant chicken feet though, missed opportunity.