Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
my girlfriend works for an American multinational, whose CEO sent an email on Friday afternoon saying that vacation days are a now a financial liability, that everyone has to take 10 vacation days in may/june and that no one would continue to accrue vacation days after June lmao

apparently none of the HR offices in the various countries were informed, so the German HR office scrambled to check this today and of course this can't be done in Germany, so the vacation days stay as they are.

man it must be hosed to work in the US.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vanadium
Jan 8, 2005

Posting from the US, my manager keeps telling us to take vacations now-ish, but also to take vacations again later in the year. Land of contrasts etc.

I'm not taking a vacation because I really got to touch all these computers, though.

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

Fitness studio, bars, are right at the top of the list of things I won't do this year. And win a trip to LA? Just to make sure you get sick even if you don't get it here?

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem

oliwan posted:

my girlfriend works for an American multinational, whose CEO sent an email on Friday afternoon saying that vacation days are a now a financial liability, that everyone has to take 10 vacation days in may/june and that no one would continue to accrue vacation days after June lmao

apparently none of the HR offices in the various countries were informed, so the German HR office scrambled to check this today and of course this can't be done in Germany, so the vacation days stay as they are.

Yeah, I too work in an US multinational corporation and we went through that whole dance two months ago. As much as Kurzarbeit sucks, lol if you work in the states; you're literally hosed when it comes to having any rights as an employee.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

oliwan posted:

My company announced a 5% pay cut across the entire company and the CEO had to explain in a live conference that "every country has different rules and we need employees to agree to be able to cut their pay in all countries except the US".
Between no employee rights and the healthcare disaster over there, I am surprised anybody willingly lives there.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
Don't forget workplace liability. Trump is doing it's best to completely immunize companies from the fallout of their own decisions, so they don't have to be afraid to send people to their deaths.

I don't know how the situation is here, with regards to that, but it can't possibly be worse.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

I don't understand how Americans fuckin tolerate the stress. Oh lmao I lost my job and now I'm homeless "living in my car" with my entire family but I just started a "dog walking business", American Dream baby

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
Explains why everybody has a therapist and gobbles up xanax etc. like smarties...

Greatest Living Man
Jul 22, 2005

ask President Obama
yes it's pretty bad. also considering how many jobs/employees are considered independent contractors or contracted employees (or in the case of research assistants, grad students) so they're basically hosed out of any benefits and job security.

ephex
Nov 4, 2007

PHWOAR CRIMINAL
Okay, so last week I caved and bought the car i wanted to buy for the last half a year. Felt a bit bad since the dude was so desperate to sell and he reduced his price by almost 7k.

Luckily I was able to reserve a Termin at the Kfz-Zulassungsstelle online for this Wednesday, i was mentally prepared to pay €200 for a Zulassungsdienst.

elbkaida
Jan 13, 2008
Look!
What did you get?

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

probably coronavirus, you have to wash the car thoroughly or leave it standing for 72 hours, RIP ephex

BabyFur Denny
Mar 18, 2003

Greatest Living Man posted:

yes it's pretty bad. also considering how many jobs/employees are considered independent contractors or contracted employees (or in the case of research assistants, grad students) so they're basically hosed out of any benefits and job security.

In opposition to the vast benefits and incredible job security salaried employees enjoy 🤔

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

Hell Gem

ephex posted:

Okay, so last week I caved and bought the car i wanted to buy for the last half a year. Felt a bit bad since the dude was so desperate to sell and he reduced his price by almost 7k.

Luckily I was able to reserve a Termin at the Kfz-Zulassungsstelle online for this Wednesday, i was mentally prepared to pay €200 for a Zulassungsdienst.

I bought a Jahreswagen almost exactly one year ago. The sales guy was so smug/the demand was so high, that he would not even drop a single cent from the asking price. I wonder how much I could've saved if I had waited till this year.

Babies Getting Rabies
Apr 21, 2007

Sugartime Jones
Attention Einbauschrank:

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS
My extremely white collar work will supposedly send out masks as well, when the return to the office starts this week. I fully expect those to be branded as well.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

Randler posted:

My extremely white collar work will supposedly send out masks as well, when the return to the office starts this week. I fully expect those to be branded as well.

Apparently my office sent out 3 completely generic white masks to every employee. Didn't get one though. I guess I'll have to call them about that at some point.

But it will still be a while before I get to work in an office again.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
Got some from my employer too, unbranded. No word on when we have to return to office, but grouping schedules are being drawn up to allow people to do so if they want.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
My buddy at Allianz also got masks from his employer. Plain white on one half but there is a very not subtle blue "Allianz" plastered across the right side.

So yeah, everybody exploiting their workers as free ad space.

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

Hopper posted:

My buddy at Allianz also got masks from his employer. Plain white on one half but there is a very not subtle blue "Allianz" plastered across the right side.

So yeah, everybody exploiting their workers as free ad space.

I'm kind of digging the new mask trend. Everybody hide your face!

Einbauschrank
Nov 5, 2009

Babies Getting Rabies posted:

Attention Einbauschrank:

I told you so. ;)

It's a logical development. If you have to adhere to a dress code and everybody has to wear a mask, it's about as natural to brand a mask as it is to brand your apron or your McDonald's hat. I wanted mine as give-aways for customers though, as I speculated that there would be a spike in demand for a certain time and I wanted to use that as a multiplier. That window has closed, thanks to the hidebound PR department.

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

Einbauschrank posted:

I told you so. ;)

It's a logical development. If you have to adhere to a dress code and everybody has to wear a mask, it's about as natural to brand a mask as it is to brand your apron or your McDonald's hat. I wanted mine as give-aways for customers though, as I speculated that there would be a spike in demand for a certain time and I wanted to use that as a multiplier. That window has closed, thanks to the hidebound PR department.

The local zoo ignored my suggestion of offering a line of animal face masks for kids to get them to wear em. Maybe I'm the only one that thought it would be a good idea.

Einbauschrank
Nov 5, 2009

Ika posted:

The local zoo ignored my suggestion of offering a line of animal face masks for kids to get them to wear em. Maybe I'm the only one that thought it would be a good idea.

I think that's a great idea. The children I know love their masks as long as they are cool enough. And who wouldn't want to be a koala or a tapir?

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

See the animal masks are actually a cute and good idea because they offer a benefit and aren't just "as long as you're gonna have to wear this anyway, why not help us extend our brand reach for free?"

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

Einbauschrank posted:

I think that's a great idea. The children I know love their masks as long as they are cool enough. And who wouldn't want to be a koala or a tapir?

Feel free to suggest it to your local zoo!

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I will design masks with an led screen which keep looking flashy ads.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Ze Supermarkt gave me two (2) masks and a cool Plaste face shield

ephex
Nov 4, 2007

PHWOAR CRIMINAL

elbkaida posted:

What did you get?

Audi TTS

Tarquinn posted:

I bought a Jahreswagen almost exactly one year ago. The sales guy was so smug/the demand was so high, that he would not even drop a single cent from the asking price. I wonder how much I could've saved if I had waited till this year.

I've put in requests for test drives for different BMW and Audi models at several locations and they never even contacted me lol
imagine having to chase someone to give them your money

Randler posted:

Same, except I'm in a Risikogruppe and also Führungskraft so I'll probably won't see the office anytime soon.

Einbauschrank
Nov 5, 2009

My Lovely Horse posted:

See the animal masks are actually a cute and good idea because they offer a benefit and aren't just "as long as you're gonna have to wear this anyway, why not help us extend our brand reach for free?"

Are you talking about employees wearing their corporate uniform or customers grabbing a freebie? I frankly don't see a problem with either and can't imagine how someone would be able to see one in the latter case.

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny
https://twitter.com/karl_lauterbach/status/1259966337268559878?s=21

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

Hell Gem

:same:

Vanadium
Jan 8, 2005

Hopper posted:

My company announced a 5% pay cut across the entire company and the CEO had to explain in a live conference that "every country has different rules and we need employees to agree to be able to cut their pay in all countries except the US".
Between no employee rights and the healthcare disaster over there, I am surprised anybody willingly lives there.

I already got an extremely comfortable salary when I worked in Germany and it roughly doubled when I relocated to the US, so, like, I personally can eat a couple of 5% cuts and ridiculous healthcare bills before the financial side works out worse. They just have too much money in this country.

Of course the locals who don't have the option of returning to a civilized country when the job security aspect hits the fan and haven't been able to just save up a tech scum salary are hosed, but they probably mostly don't fall under "willingly" living here.

Peggotty
May 9, 2014

There are few things worse than groups of drunk football fans, but one of them is definitely nerds being angry at sports.

Vanadium
Jan 8, 2005

Please send Döner though.

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

Hell Gem

cebrail posted:

There are few things worse than groups of drunk football fans, but one of them is definitely nerds being angry at sports.

Don't forget that group of people that get mad at people that do not give a drat about organized sports! :eng101:

Combat Theory
Jul 16, 2017

ephex posted:

More than 100 euro would be insane for a Zulassungsdienst. If you buy the car from a Händler they usually have a Zulassungsdienst on call that offers low rates due to bulk orders. The Nissan dealership where my dad works takes 70 euro for the Zulassungsdienst.

Congratulations on your new car. If you plan to keep it for the foreseeable future please cut the service intervals to 10k km for an oil change and get the AGR deactivated ASAP. Also try using Vpower racing every 4th tank or so (make sure the tank is on reserve before filling up) - it has a potent cleaning agent mixed in that will keep some of the gunk out of the direct injectors.

If you have a DSG please replace the fluid every 24 months at least.

If you have an EntwicklungsAuftrag 888 engine (you should - engine code CJXG), just be prepared tho that no matter how good you treat it it will need new Pistons and rings at some point north of 70k km (whenever the oil consumption becomes excessive) When the time comes don't get the VW/AUDI replacement parts unless you are on warranty. Get the upgraded aftermarket parts that have a standard oil control ring and piston holes and not the weird ones the stock parts have.

Also please regularly check the timing chain tensioner and if needed, have the chain replaced (preferably under warranty - it can be a bit expensive)

Combat Theory fucked around with this message at 10:12 on May 12, 2020

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

Hell Gem

Combat Theory posted:

More than 100 euro would be insane for a Zulassungsdienst. If you buy the car from a Händler they usually have a Zulassungsdienst on call that offers low rates due to bulk orders. The Nissan dealership where my dad works takes 70 euro for the Zulassungsdienst.

As I bought my car last year Mercedes gracefully offered to take care of the Zulassung for me at the low low price of several hundred Euros. I laughed all the way to the Zulassungsstelle.

Combat Theory
Jul 16, 2017

Tarquinn posted:

As I bought my car last year Mercedes gracefully offered to take care of the Zulassung for me at the low low price of several hundred Euros. I laughed all the way to the Zulassungsstelle.

Holy poo poo.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

ephex posted:

Audi TTS

lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

Vanadium posted:

Please send Döner though.

Oh poo poo. No Döner? The US is doomed.
I am not even going to ask about Currywurst and I know Brezn are a disaster over there.