Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

The Question IRL posted:

I think it goes without saying, but the vitriol in that Tweet is what is so shocking. Even more so than the awful, hate filled words.

Like there is so much directed, hatred in what is said there. However there is also a lot of anger. And you kind of in that case have to look behind those words to see why is that person so angry.

The Guards over here have said that they are investigating the incident here and a teenager has attended for a volentarily, cautioned interview. (Which means that he voluntarily went to a garda station to give his version of events. Probably without a solicitor present.) At this time no criminal complaint has been made so he hasn’t been charged with anything yet.

See News story here.

But as awful as what he said is, for a teenager to say that sort of stuff, I have to imagine that there is a lot of other bad stuff going on in this kids life. With a bit of luck, maybe there can be a positive end to this story.

So, funny thing about that Marie Antionette quote. The French for “Let them eat cake” is “Qu'ils mangent du gâteau.”
But what she might have said was “Qu'ils mangent du brioche.”

Now Brioche is a type of sweet bread, and could be translated as cake. But it’s also something that is really cheap and easy to make and has been for quite some time. (As long as it doesn’t have chocolate in it, that’s what makes it more expensive.)

In which case, if she really did suggest that the starving people go for Brioche instead, it’s not quite a tone deaf suggestion as you might initially think. It’s not on the level of saying “if people can’t afford the bus, why not buy their own car.” As it has gone down in history as.

I suspect part of the reason for that is that she was
A) A female head of state
B) A female, non-French born head of state
C) Was executed
So there would be a tendency for historians to re-write her into an out of touch, simpleton to best legitimise themselves.

I mean she wasn't the head of state any more than Ivanka Trump is the head of state of the US. Louis XVI was the HoS of the Kingdom of France.
12 May 1797, the Army of Italy lead by Napoleon Bonaparte enters Venice during the War of the First Coalition.

forkboy84 fucked around with this message at 11:22 on May 12, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

The Question IRL posted:

So, funny thing about that Marie Antionette quote. The French for “Let them eat cake” is “Qu'ils mangent du gâteau.”
But what she might have said was “Qu'ils mangent du brioche.”

Now Brioche is a type of sweet bread, and could be translated as cake. But it’s also something that is really cheap and easy to make and has been for quite some time. (As long as it doesn’t have chocolate in it, that’s what makes it more expensive.)

In which case, if she really did suggest that the starving people go for Brioche instead, it’s not quite a tone deaf suggestion as you might initially think. It’s not on the level of saying “if people can’t afford the bus, why not buy their own car.” As it has gone down in history as.

I suspect part of the reason for that is that she was
A) A female head of state
B) A female, non-French born head of state
C) Was executed
So there would be a tendency for historians to re-write her into an out of touch, simpleton to best legitimise themselves.

I've actually heard that what Marie Antoinette said was more in the spirit of "then why do they not eat brioche?" Not dismissive, just failing to understand that there was a problem.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

forkboy84 posted:

I mean she wasn't the head of state any more than Ivanka Trump is the head of state of the US. Louis XVI was the HoS of the Kingdom of France.

I don't know if that's the best comparison, since Trump floated Ivanka as the next head of the World Bank, and she could probably convince her old lad to do almost anything (though the mind balks at what he might demand in return)

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Jose posted:

Over 40k deaths officially but it's time to ease lockdown

naturally, there is nothing about this on the BBC

e: popped onto the Daily Mail site to see what they're piping into the minds of olds and this seems weirdly out of character:

Necrothatcher fucked around with this message at 11:25 on May 12, 2020

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Looke posted:

I never hear any of that in Bristol. You'll get a small subset of people for sure, but their discrimination is never reserved just for the Welsh - usually Rovers fans as well.

Much the same, I've also never heard any anti-welsh sentiment when I lived in Bristol.

Anti-londoner sentiment on the other hand :v:

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
https://twitter.com/SeychelloisBoy/status/1259591416256356357

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Jose posted:

50K, actually.

https://twitter.com/chrisgiles_/status/1260147443976593408?s=21

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

zentigeist posted:

I'm kind of hype that we get to wear face coverings like bandanas and masks in public.

Makes me feel like a bandit.

Yes I am also 6.

If they become compulsory I'm definitely buying a black and white keffiyeh and see if it gets me chucked out of the Labour Party for antisemitism.

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

Those look like steps to me. The steps to recovery and restarting the economy.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

Jose posted:

That's the 2nd highest total in the world and I think the 2nd highest rate per capita, too (after Belgium), loving hell.

The official government response will be "bu... bu... but international comparisons are inherently flawed due to variations in the methods of compiling statistics so maybe we actually only have the 3rd or 4th highest number dead people per head of population in the entire world" and the media will let Johnson get away with it.

This is the BBC news home page:

This is the BBC news coronavirus page:

Their UK page:

Literally no mention in the live blog so far, nothing in this list of things you need to know about the pandemic this morning and just a tiny mention of excess deaths at the bottom of this article about how death rates are starting to fall in care homes.

Even this guardian article can't bring itself to say the corollary of being highest in Europe is being 2nd highest in the world after the US.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/may/12/uk-coronavirus-death-toll-passes-40000-official-figures-say

e: they did find space for this in the live blog though, so clearly their aversion to potentially less than totally accurate statistics is not universal

XMNN fucked around with this message at 11:56 on May 12, 2020

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
It does look from the Financial Times data like Russia and Brazil are rapidly overtaking us in official COVID-19 deaths despite an even worse testing regimen, so we're probably not second in the world any more. We are almost certainly the worst in Europe, although Italy has been slow to release its excess death figures, and they look like they might be really bad.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Jedit posted:

I've actually heard that what Marie Antoinette said was more in the spirit of "then why do they not eat brioche?" Not dismissive, just failing to understand that there was a problem.

Yeah exactly, not sure what op is getting at there. Peasants couldn't get bread, so she was allegedly like "why don't they just eat cakes instead?". I mean, the brioche is just bread but with more expensive ingredients like butter in there. It is like the bus/car analogy, because if they had brioche they wouldn't be running out of the stuff to make bread.

Now another issue is whether Marie Antoinette ever said that line at all, there's no record of that.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

Darth Walrus posted:

It does look from the Financial Times data like Russia and Brazil are rapidly overtaking us in official COVID-19 deaths despite an even worse testing regimen, so we're probably not second in the world any more. We are almost certainly the worst in Europe, although Italy has been slow to release its excess death figures, and they look like they might be really bad.

Yeah I'm seeing a lot of Italians coming out of lockdown to find that a load of the people they work with are dead.

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

I could've gone to Blatherwycke

Brendan Rodgers posted:

Yeah exactly, not sure what op is getting at there. Peasants couldn't get bread, so she was allegedly like "why don't they just eat cakes instead?". I mean, the brioche is just bread but with more expensive ingredients like butter in there. It is like the bus/car analogy, because if they had brioche they wouldn't be running out of the stuff to make bread.

Now another issue is whether Marie Antoinette ever said that line at all, there's no record of that.

Laura Kuenssberg did an op-ed piece asking what is wrong with the poors for not appreciating a good brioche.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Brendan Rodgers posted:

They did used to sharpen guillotine blades with fine sand, proving it an effective anticaking agent.

Bad Parenting
Mar 26, 2007

This could get emotional...

Hi all, looking for a bit of advice - looking to join a union but I'm self-employed. The only one that the TUC's union finder website recommended was 'community'.

I'd never heard of it until today, anyone got any thoughts on it, or can recommend a different one?

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Bad Parenting posted:

Hi all, looking for a bit of advice - looking to join a union but I'm self-employed. The only one that the TUC's union finder website recommended was 'community'.

I'd never heard of it until today, anyone got any thoughts on it, or can recommend a different one?

Sort of depends what sort of self employed you are. Freelancer, gig economy worker, small business tyrant?

You might want to check out the Independent Workers Union of Great Britain

forkboy84 fucked around with this message at 12:33 on May 12, 2020

Bad Parenting
Mar 26, 2007

This could get emotional...

I'm an IT contractor. Thanks for the suggestion, I'll check them out

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde
:toot: for people that have jobs
https://twitter.com/guardian/status/1260172976709918720?s=20

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
https://twitter.com/PippaCrerar/status/1260171992038285312?s=20
https://twitter.com/PippaCrerar/status/1260173326556766208?s=20

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

If I remember right the IWW have a computer touches branch, sure we have a couple of thread regulars who are in it who may be able to give more explicit advice

O-Unit
Oct 22, 2005

Long-time lurker infrequent poster looking for some advice please UKMT

My sister works on the shop floor of a posh pet shop chain. They've been worryingly lax about 'covid safety' with senior management forcing them to accept cash again, removing the barriers the floor-staff had errected to control the movement of public through the shop etc. They did give her a face shield though, one of those with a 4in gap around the edge which sure doesn't feel like it's doing much.

Anyway she has developed a slight cough in the past few days, and her Area Manager has ordered her to self-isolate on SSP again. Thing is, she doesn't believe this cough is Covid-related because a) she doesn't have a fever, and b) she has already had a spell of the full Covid symptoms (dry-cough, fever, loss of smell, etc.) last month, for which she self-isolated as she should have done. She has applied for a Covid test, but she hasn't even had an invitation to chose a timeslot yet so who knows how long that whole process is going to take with the current backlog.

The first period of 14 days of SSP ate most of her savings, and she's going to struggle if she has to do it again. Her poor landlord isn't budging on deferring her rent because "why should he take the hit". Of course in an ideal world she would have some kind of support to do the right thing for the sake of public health just in case it is Covid, but here we are.

It just doesn't feel right that she is forced to take SSP if it's not her decision to stay off because she feels able to work. In the before-times she'd have been lambasted for not dragging herself in whilst looking like death warmed up!

Should she be a capitalist's wet dream and fight for the pleasure of going to work? Is it law or simply strong government 'advice' to isolate if you have one very common symptom?

Soylent Yellow
Nov 5, 2010

yospos
Was there some mention that he was expecting employers to take up some of the furlough payment burden? That's not going to cause a lot of layoffs at all.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Do not let Tim Roache touch your computer.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
https://twitter.com/SamCoatesSky/status/1260172273941721092

[e]: Beaten

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Jedit posted:

Either way it was definitely the period equivalent of "it's one banana, what could it cost, ten dollars?"

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Is this a 'reject the evidence of your eyes and ears' situation? I'm pretty sure he specifically said 'addicted'.

Good news either way.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

stev posted:

Is this a 'reject the evidence of your eyes and ears' situation? I'm pretty sure he specifically said 'addicted'.

Good news either way.

its either part of the tory factional war currently going on or just them making themselves sound better by rejecting what was briefed

https://twitter.com/PaulBrandITV/status/1260126596847017984?s=20

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Soylent Yellow posted:

Was there some mention that he was expecting employers to take up some of the furlough payment burden? That's not going to cause a lot of layoffs at all.

The BBC initially reported there would be changes at the end of July but that has disappeared now so who knows.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

welp

https://twitter.com/RishiSunak/status/1260171787339542528?s=20

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
https://twitter.com/samcoatessky/status/1260177261875146752?s=21

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

stev posted:

Good news either way.

'A senior government source briefed the Times' that people were 'addicted' to the scheme. My bet is Gove.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

starmer working with unions eh?

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
I want this whole loving 'rona thing over with so I can uninstall all these loving apps my work keeps insisting I download so I can join stupid loving meetings

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

https://twitter.com/AidanCTweets/status/1260126476571217920?s=20

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends

Jose posted:

The Apollo 11 documentary is on netflix and it's so loving good if you care about anything involving space

seconding this, the soundtrack is amazing

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

goddamnedtwisto posted:

If they become compulsory I'm definitely buying a black and white keffiyeh and see if it gets me chucked out of the Labour Party for antisemitism.

you might be the only poster itt who doesn't own one already

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
Ahh yes, "The Blob", aka "People Who Disagree With Me, Who I See As An Unfeeling Gelatinous Mass Coming In Through My Windows At Night". this is a very healthy way for the government to think about its opposition

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

forkboy84 posted:

If I remember right the IWW have a computer touches branch, sure we have a couple of thread regulars who are in it who may be able to give more explicit advice
Nah that's IWGB

Darth Walrus posted:

'A senior government source briefed the Times' that people were 'addicted' to the scheme. My bet is Gove.
My bet is Sunak

The first clue was that he specifically denied saying it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

phil really going for the government

https://twitter.com/TobyonTV/status/1260136736920911873?s=20