Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003
Fanatical used to be Bundlestars way back when. As legit as they come.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Cuntellectual posted:

which was it? for avoidance purposes i mean

I forget but just do a search for [literally any word]

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Think I hit my limit on Generation Zero. RNG is just poo poo and I'm constantly getting lukewarm gear or dupes of what I have. Every fight devolves into an endurance test of 15+ hunters that spawn out of the ether if you remotely make any noise. A friend and I were fighting a group of them around a gas station and lured most of them around the gas tanks and blew it up. We managed to kill those ones and all of a sudden we were surrounded by like 8 more of them, despite scouting around the area to make sure it was clear. Then when you're low on supplies you spend hours scouring for them in carbon copy houses and it's just the most boring tedious thing imaginable.

The tutorial area was fun because most fights allowed you to stealth through them and alpha strike weak spots for takedowns. Now you alpha strike an enemy then have to dump thousands of points of damage into it to destroy it but by that point you've notified half the map and have to fight swarms of the things that materialized out of thin air. It was fun to have a big fight against a bunch of machines but now every fight is like that and it's become a slog.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

ZearothK posted:

Have to third (quarter?) this rec. I've got like 30 hours in it and it's definitely the XCOMlike I've enjoyed the most in this last season, comparing favorably to Phoenix Point and Chimera Squad (which was great, just too easy past the first third). Haven't tried Gears Tactics for a full comparison, but it is an excelent mix of XCOM and JRPG (KCOM? KRPG?).

I hesitated a lot because of the Engrish in the store page, but the game is better translated than that would suggest.

Okay you're our resident Troubleshooter guru and you don't have PMs. Can you explain to me how the mastery system works? I'd like to upgrade one of them (can you do that?) but different numbers are going up and I'm confused.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Despite being quite despondent at losing my truck in Hydroneer I decided to load it back up and just gently caress around rather than start a new game. Through a combination of Recall Nearest Vehicle (teleport to nearest vehicle) and Unstuck (teleport player/vehicle to a free space at ground level) menu options I managed to successfully exploit the fact that it only had physics applied to it while I was in it by timing my exit to the split second it was near the ground instead of barrel rolling through the air and reach inside the mud guard to retrieve the machinery I had accidentally placed inside it, restoring gravity to the truck.

After my adventure I bought some more items to get a sweet conveyor belt that accepts dumps of earth and carries them off to a machine to grind them for gold after about a thirty minutes of chasing a couple of them through the woods after I accidentally put them down too close to me, catapulting us both off in different directions across the map.

There's a spade still out there somewhere.

Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

I'm too busy thinkin' about my baby. Oh I ain't got time for nothin' else.
Slime TrainerS

Hwurmp posted:

Don't you loving hate it when you're browsing a sale, and see a title you've never heard of before that sounds like it could be kind of neat, and you click and it's just dickgirls again

That's my favorite part.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Biologically accurate to (some) spiders either way! :eng101:

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.

explosivo posted:

Session or Skate XL; are either of these games worthy successors to Skate or worth playing in their current states?

Skate XL is pretty dope. It uses a very similar flipping mechanic for ollies/nollies except that nollies (and fakie ollies) are done with the left thumbstick instead of pushing forward on the right. Also, you have to grab the board with your front, back or both feet using the triggers.

People are making some nice videos with it as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pCvN8S-Boec

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
God, can’t someone make another over the top arcade skating game like the Tony Hawk games? I’m sure the realistic stuff is fine if you put the time in but I just want something I can pick up and play and do ridiculous tricks in for tens of thousands of points.

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984

Ugly In The Morning posted:

God, can’t someone make another over the top arcade skating game like the Tony Hawk games? I’m sure the realistic stuff is fine if you put the time in but I just want something I can pick up and play and do ridiculous tricks in for tens of thousands of points.

Goonmade: https://store.steampowered.com/app/971030/SkateBIRD/

bentacos
Oct 9, 2012
needs more Goldfinger.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

bentacos posted:

needs more Goldfincher.

Dalaram
Jun 6, 2002

Marshall/Kirtaner 8/24 nevar forget! (omg pedo)

Ghostlight posted:

Despite being quite despondent at losing my truck in Hydroneer I decided to load it back up and just gently caress around rather than start a new game. Through a combination of Recall Nearest Vehicle (teleport to nearest vehicle) and Unstuck (teleport player/vehicle to a free space at ground level) menu options I managed to successfully exploit the fact that it only had physics applied to it while I was in it by timing my exit to the split second it was near the ground instead of barrel rolling through the air and reach inside the mud guard to retrieve the machinery I had accidentally placed inside it, restoring gravity to the truck.

After my adventure I bought some more items to get a sweet conveyor belt that accepts dumps of earth and carries them off to a machine to grind them for gold after about a thirty minutes of chasing a couple of them through the woods after I accidentally put them down too close to me, catapulting us both off in different directions across the map.

There's a spade still out there somewhere.

The physics can be super janky. Trying to dump a bowl full of ore into a crucible guarantees that none will make it in. But god help me when you get a good automated mining rig set up, and there’s a constant tinkling of gems falling in crucibles, it’s like music.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

StrixNebulosa posted:

Okay you're our resident Troubleshooter guru and you don't have PMs. Can you explain to me how the mastery system works? I'd like to upgrade one of them (can you do that?) but different numbers are going up and I'm confused.

You get masteries from enemy drops and also unlock theoretical masteries from levelling up subclasses and some achievements or story points, which is what you generally use the research system for. You can also use it to get extras of some of the advanced mastery drops you've used up. You can't really upgrade a mastery to one of the undiscovered ones, I think? I might be wrong. I didn't really pay attention to researching masteries until I began to unlock subclasses.

Anyways, for how it actually works...

To research this Mastery you need to have the Main Research Material Mastery (Muscle Burst in this case), then you need to fill up to eight points with that and the Additional Masteries of the required categories (so only from the Attack, Defense and Ability types). You don't need to use up all the slots if you get to the point value earlier. You also need a number of training manuals. Research consumes all of it. I recommend checking the "researcheable only" box because holy poo poo, there are so many Masteries in this game.

Best way to find cool stuff to research is from a character's Mastery Board rather than from the Mastery Research submenu, as there is just too much information there.

Disco Anne
Apr 1, 2010

Assume you're going to survive.
Holy hell does Gear Tactics have a difficulty spike at the end of the first act. At least, I hope it's the end of the first act.

But this is my first k/m game that uses my shiny colored lights keyboard, and that's kinda cool.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

ZearothK posted:

To research this Mastery you need to have the Main Research Material Mastery (Muscle Burst in this case), then you need to fill up to eight points with that and the Additional Masteries of the required categories (so only from the Attack, Defense and Ability types). You don't need to use up all the slots if you get to the point value earlier. You also need a number of training manuals. Research consumes all of it. I recommend checking the "researcheable only" box because holy poo poo, there are so many Masteries in this game.

For some reason this really ups Troubleshooter in my wishlist.

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?

GrandpaPants posted:

For some reason this really ups Troubleshooter in my wishlist.

If a game with a million modifiers and customizations appeals to you, this game is your jam. The heroes in this thing are basically the guns in Resonance of Fate -- who doesn't need a Hero with eight scopes and four clips?

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Zeta Acosta posted:

I replayed disco elysium again and i want to play a power fantasy no brains game. Shoot the bad guys, get the lady. What are good games on that category?

Hwurmp posted:

Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon

:hmmyes:

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Life is Strange seems like a team was working on episodes 1-4 and a entirely separate team had no contact with them other then scawled messages on a napkin and worked on episode 5.

I still liked it, but god drat did it kill any desire I had to go back and replay the game.

edit: Great soundtrack though, really helped set the mood and tone.

pentyne fucked around with this message at 08:15 on May 12, 2020

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Well, people were theorizing which take on time travel LiS was going to adopt, and in the end it turned out it was all of them at once.

LionEyez
Aug 17, 2014
What's the consensus on Life is Strange season 2?

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Oldstench posted:

Skate XL is pretty dope. It uses a very similar flipping mechanic for ollies/nollies except that nollies (and fakie ollies) are done with the left thumbstick instead of pushing forward on the right. Also, you have to grab the board with your front, back or both feet using the triggers.

People are making some nice videos with it as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pCvN8S-Boec

How's Skate XL content wise? I was skimming reviews and impressions and generally, people are saying Session is a more complete product whereas Skate XL has been bare bones in terms of updates for a while. From what I can tell, they have pretty different control schemes too, and Skate XL errs on the realistic side of things.

I too am wondering if I should get Skate XL or Session or if I should just fire up the PS3.

Disco Anne
Apr 1, 2010

Assume you're going to survive.

LionEyez posted:

What's the consensus on Life is Strange season 2?
Consensus, dunno, but I finished it yesterday.

Similar deal, but working-class hispanic bros instead of boarding school bicurious girls. Very much worthwhile, but one of those things like Alien Isolation that was very much worth playing, but was "a really good experience" more than "a ton of fun".

I suck at game explaining. I'd say get it unless you have a reason not to. Very glad I played it and it'll stick with me.

halwain
May 31, 2011
Is the Spellforce series any good? Im rlooking for a good single player game and was wondering if the games are worth it.

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

halwain posted:

Is the Spellforce series any good? Im rlooking for a good single player game and was wondering if the games are worth it.

Yes, even the new one.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

Artelier posted:

How's Skate XL content wise? I was skimming reviews and impressions and generally, people are saying Session is a more complete product whereas Skate XL has been bare bones in terms of updates for a while. From what I can tell, they have pretty different control schemes too, and Skate XL errs on the realistic side of things.

I too am wondering if I should get Skate XL or Session or if I should just fire up the PS3.
Honestly, fire up the PS3.
Session has the controls mostly down but unless location/content wise... Eh...? It feels lacking, something is off feeling about it.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

halwain posted:

The first and second games are pretty primitive by modern standards and suffer a bit from neither the RPG elements nor the RTS elements being as deep as they would be in a proper game that focuses on only one of them. I've heard nothing but good things about the third one, though.

Fifty Farts
Dec 23, 2013

- Meticulously Researched
- Peer-reviewed

Croccers posted:

Honestly, fire up the PS3.
Session has the controls mostly down but unless location/content wise... Eh...? It feels lacking, something is off feeling about it.

Session has the "technical skateboard action" side of the skate. games down, but not the "hurl yourself off a dam, do a bunch of sweet flips and tricks in the air (with your body, not your skateboard), and then slam into a sewer pipe and break every bone in your body" side, and it doesn't seem like it's something they're interested in. They have been adding new areas, though, and working on bugfixes and board control. I think grab tricks are still considered an experimental feature that isn't fully implemented. I'm not great at the game yet, but I'm generally able to get around and flip up onto a sidewalk from the street and not gently caress it up. I've even managed to grind on a (long, low) stair, jump off with a flip trick, and land without falling to the ground in a heap! I'm not nearly as successful when trying to grind staircase handrails, though.

I played a little SkateXL last year, and it was much more buggy and glitchy (as in, I'd just randomly fall off the board while trying to skate across flat ground, no tricks) than Session (as of a few months ago, last time I played it). Maybe SkateXL has gotten better, but between the two, I'd recommend Session right now. I'm pretty sure Session's devs (at least some of them) are former Black Box people (the skate. devs). Neither of them are a great replacement for skate. 2 or 3, but they seem to be as close as we're gonna get at the moment, minus the Hall of Meat stuff.

Baller Time
Apr 22, 2014

by Azathoth
The only thing in Spellforce that went gradually worse instead of better from 1 to 3 is the faction diversity. In Spellforce 3 it's three faction that are mechanically the same, while the first game had six that mostly played differently from each other.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

ZearothK posted:

You get masteries from enemy drops and also unlock theoretical masteries from levelling up subclasses and some achievements or story points, which is what you generally use the research system for. You can also use it to get extras of some of the advanced mastery drops you've used up. You can't really upgrade a mastery to one of the undiscovered ones, I think? I might be wrong. I didn't really pay attention to researching masteries until I began to unlock subclasses.

Anyways, for how it actually works...

Best way to find cool stuff to research is from a character's Mastery Board rather than from the Mastery Research submenu, as there is just too much information there.

Okay, this makes a lot more sense, thank you. If this game got a translation overhaul this is the one area where I'd want them to focus, as it's not well explained at all. Everything else I can grok, but this eluded me until now. Thank you!!

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

I am three apples and a rabbit's foot away from having this community center rebuilt!

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

StrixNebulosa posted:

Okay, this makes a lot more sense, thank you. If this game got a translation overhaul this is the one area where I'd want them to focus, as it's not well explained at all. Everything else I can grok, but this eluded me until now. Thank you!!

Yeah, the actual dialog and narrative text has benefited a lot from the volunteer translation tool they added a few patches back, but they didn't add anything similar for the UI, so it retains an Engrish character.

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.
Random dumb question. If I have Binding of Isaac Rebirth, I have the Afterbirth DLC but not Afterbirth+, right?

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Irritated Goat posted:

Random dumb question. If I have Binding of Isaac Rebirth, I have the Afterbirth DLC but not Afterbirth+, right?

No, they're all distinct. Rebirth includes the content from the original game and its DLC, but Afterbirth and Afterbirth+ both add onto that further. Edit: And like it says on the store page for AB+, you need the base game and AB before you can add AB+ on top.

John Murdoch fucked around with this message at 17:00 on May 12, 2020

Zeta Acosta
Dec 16, 2019

#essereFerrari
hows pathfinder:kingmaker?

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Ugly In The Morning posted:

wish sort-of granted

https://twitter.com/TonyHawkTheGame/status/1260238305192554498

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

:getin:

Orv
May 4, 2011
Ugly in the Morning confirmed for burning at stake.

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011
They have it on the Epic Game Store, but not on Steam, so prepare to wait if you are so inclined.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

happy birthday jordan cross