Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Angelica's interaction with Tita was even worse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iverron
May 13, 2012

ChiTownEddie posted:

I'm in Chap 5 of Sky3 now. Loving my return to the series, man I missed all these chars (except the agate/tita thing tbh). Feeling like I probably want to try the Crossbell arc afterall before starting Cold Steel 2. Welp.

I just finished Crossbell and am glad I waited to start Cold Steel until doing so because I'm not huge on the school aspect but I can appreciate it more knowing what's to come.

Eggnogium
Jun 1, 2010

Never give an inch! Hnnnghhhhhh!

Iverron posted:

I just finished Crossbell and am glad I waited to start Cold Steel until doing so because I'm not huge on the school aspect but I can appreciate it more knowing what's to come.

What is the timeline between Crossbell arc and Cold Steel? I thought Crossbell arc took place right before or something but sounds like they are interspersed? I’m halfway through CS1 and I assumed all the references to “recent events in Crossbell state” were to those games.

SC Bracer
Aug 7, 2012

DEMAGLIO!
Almost simultaneous. Zero starts before CS1 and ends somewhere during the first couple chapters. The second chapter of Azure is concurrent with the 5th chapter of CS1, and then the end of CS1, and all of CS2 takes place during more or less the last couple chapters of Azure. It's actually really cool seeing things mentioned off-hand in CS1/2 unfold in front of you in Crossbell.

Eggnogium
Jun 1, 2010

I see, so I imagine there’s no consensus on recommended play order really and everyone’s just got a personal preference (if they’ve played azure at all given the translation state)?

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

you can go in either order, it doesn't matter. they're separate story arcs that allude to each other a little bit towards the end

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
I would say play in release order cause mainly Cold Steel is extremely bad with cliffhangers (like twice as bad as FC) multiple times and by the time you beat CS3, 4 and Cold Steel: All Stars will be out by then.

CmdrKing
Oct 14, 2012

Maybe if I called it 'Interpretive Stabbing'...

Taear posted:

I sort of get the angle of "She has a crush on him because he's an older mentor figure" but it really doesn't feel like that to me.

Yeah, if the entire rest of Zemuria wasn't trying to hook them up it'd be fine, heck having "Tita eventually realizes that crushing on someone so much older is just setting herself up for misery and she has to move on" as a part of her character arc is a pretty good angle to take for someone her age. But all those other signs they eventually intend to hook them up is not nearly as interesting (and also makes me question what the hell the writers are doing).

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Eggnogium posted:

I see, so I imagine there’s no consensus on recommended play order really and everyone’s just got a personal preference (if they’ve played azure at all given the translation state)?
There's no need to overthink it. Despite what a very vocal subset of Trails fans like to yell to the heavens about, all of the subseries are written such that they can be more or less enjoyed in a vacuum. Most people in this thread played Cold Steel 1-3 well before the Crossbell games and enjoyed them just fine, and now with those games reasonably available in English they're having fun with them too now.

There's also no reason that I feel people HAVE to play the later games before the earlier games because like, they're fun JRPGs. All of them. Cold Steel 3 is the most modern English Trails game available and yet I am having way more fun with Zero/Azure. Even with all the various tweaks, additions/substractions, balanced changes, etc. that they've done with the battle systems the only things that ever feel aged are the Turbo implementations and even that is pretty consistently getting improved.

Nate RFB fucked around with this message at 22:03 on May 7, 2020

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

you need to play the first one, then the fourth one, then the first part of the second one, then the third, then back through the first again, then the fourth, then the last part of the second

then you'll be ready for the sidestory that takes place between the third & fourth

Hwurmp fucked around with this message at 22:07 on May 7, 2020

Eggnogium
Jun 1, 2010

Nate RFB posted:

There's no need to overthink it. Despite what a very vocal subset of Trails fans like to yell to the heavens about, all of the subseries are written such that they can be more or less enjoyed in a vacuum. Most people in this thread played Cold Steel 1-3 well before the Crossbell games and enjoyed them just fine, and now with those games reasonably available in English they're having fun with them too now.

There's also no reason that I feel people HAVE to play the later games before the earlier games because like, they're fun JRPGs. All of them. Cold Steel 3 is the most modern English Trails game available and yet I am having way more fun with Zero/Azure. Even with all the various tweaks, additions/substractions, balanced changes, etc. that they've done with the battle systems the only things that ever feel aged are the Turbo implementations and even that is pretty consistently getting improved.

I put a pause on CS1 to go back and play the Skies trilogy with my wife since she loves big epic animes and there are definitely some QoL things that are giving me whiplash that didn’t bother me the first time through. Mostly the awful way the menu navigation works when playing with a controller.

Assuming my wife wants to stick with it (she is reasonably skeptical of the amount of tedious battles, to me it is a breath of fresh air compared to 90s-era Final Fantasy) we’ll probably just intersperse CB arc and CS 1&2 in some arbitrary order then.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

CmdrKing posted:

Yeah, if the entire rest of Zemuria wasn't trying to hook them up it'd be fine, heck having "Tita eventually realizes that crushing on someone so much older is just setting herself up for misery and she has to move on" as a part of her character arc is a pretty good angle to take for someone her age. But all those other signs they eventually intend to hook them up is not nearly as interesting (and also makes me question what the hell the writers are doing).
Heck even if you wanted to hook them up they just repeat the joke so much every single time theyre onscreen that it basically ruins Agate's character because that's all he's offering. The man literally cannot have a scene without it. Cold Steel can write romcom stuff, some of Musse's flirting with Rean is actually pretty funny, but there's no variation in what they do with Agate's shtick so it just gets really tiresome.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

AFancyQuestionMark
Feb 19, 2017

Long time no see.
Tio owns

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

oh man I just played through that sequence last night, it was amazing

I love R&R sequences in rpgs

lagidnam
Nov 8, 2010
CS III PC is on sale at Humble for 25% off.

https://www.humblebundle.com/store/the-legend-of-heroes-trails-of-cold-steel-iii

Steam keys only.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
There are times in Ao when I ponder why people bother playing other video games.

Idkbutlike2
Nov 5, 2011

Nate RFB posted:

There are times in Ao when I ponder why people bother playing other video games.
Well, one reason is to experience the OG Penguin and not some lame poser like KeA!

Mirello
Jan 29, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
I'm in the endgame of Ao and goddamn is it dragging on. overall I'm a huge fan of these games, they might be better than the sky trilogy. There's one big problem: no Haze quartz! Actually, Ao has one but it doesn't work. Constantly getting into random battles really slows down the pace of the game, and theres so much bullshit they throw at you at the end. A question: in cold steel is there a haze quartz equivalent? I'm definitely gonna play on easy from now on, the combat is not really what I enjoy about these games.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Cold Steel doesn't have a Haze, but battles are quicker and more entertaining to watch.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Starting in Cold Steel you get a run button, and the party doesn't form a trail behind you, which makes it much easier to avoid fights

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

Also Turbo is a mode rather than a button you hold so its infinitely more convenient.

CS3 almost feels like an action game once you have the buttons memorized and play on Turbo tbh.

Idkbutlike2
Nov 5, 2011

Mirello posted:

There's one big problem: no Haze quartz! Actually, Ao has one but it doesn't work. Constantly getting into random battles really slows down the pace of the game, and theres so much bullshit they throw at you at the end.

Why not just set Elie or Dudley as your party's leader, stunlock enemies with a ranged field attack, and walk by?

SC Bracer
Aug 7, 2012

DEMAGLIO!
Ao does have a haze quartz but it might as well not because it seems to be loving chance based. Id have killed for a cloak equivalent.

Also cs3 makes it even easier to avoid fights by bonking things on the head with Sammy.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

As I move into the epilogue of Steel 3 I am not happy with this new evolution of the "I was holding back" meme wherein you get a tough enemy down to the last 10-20% of their health and they go into super saiyan mode with massive health recovery and significantly reduced damage.

It wasn't so bad except for the dungeon where you have to use all of your characters without any chance to swap gear in the final boss fight.

On the other hand I drat near pissed myself at the end of chapter 4 where Lechter joins you in hunting the Calvardian teen - when the magic knight appeared at the end I used his card trick expecting a stat boost or something but it just straight up deathblowed the knight. Fight over in 55 seconds.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Tesseraction posted:

As I move into the epilogue of Steel 3 I am not happy with this new evolution of the "I was holding back" meme wherein you get a tough enemy down to the last 10-20% of their health and they go into super saiyan mode with massive health recovery and significantly reduced damage.
The idea is you're supposed to break them when they're low on health and then kill them before they get a turn again. It's pretty easy to do this with stuff like chrono burst, chrono drive, kurt's order that lowers delay massively, etc. And also in the lategame it's super easy for someone to have infinite turns, they just need chrono drive and a decent amount of EP. I'm pretty sure you can go literally infinite with Rean's instant cast order and the master quartz that lets you get EP back when you cast.

Mirello
Jan 29, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Idkbutlike2 posted:

Why not just set Elie or Dudley as your party's leader, stunlock enemies with a ranged field attack, and walk by?

In the skys games I'd just use haze and turbo through all that stuff. It made the combat optional, which I didn't really appreciate until it was gone.,

Now I'm on cold steel. It's cool so far (just in chapter 1). However, why the heck did they make battle turbo mode skip everything, including the results screen? I wish it just sped up animations like previous games. seems like a lot of 1 step forward, 1 step back stuff. Oh well.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Does anyone know the name of the track that plays at the beginning of chapter 4 of Ao, during the attack on the city? I'm having trouble finding it for some reason

grancheater
May 1, 2013

Wine'em, dine'em, 69'em
I think it's 'To be continued!' from Zero no Kiseki Super Arrange Version.

Idkbutlike2
Nov 5, 2011
Yeah, at least half the songs from the Zero no Kiseki Super Arrange Version album are used in Ao no Kiseki.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Endorph posted:

The idea is you're supposed to break them when they're low on health and then kill them before they get a turn again. It's pretty easy to do this with stuff like chrono burst, chrono drive, kurt's order that lowers delay massively, etc. And also in the lategame it's super easy for someone to have infinite turns, they just need chrono drive and a decent amount of EP. I'm pretty sure you can go literally infinite with Rean's instant cast order and the master quartz that lets you get EP back when you cast.

Had a feeling it was something like that - I've mostly been relying on Rean/Juna dumping like 5 status effects after their first goes combined. Something that works great for random encounters, less so for bosses who tend to have more immunities.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gbZFoGKa9ko

I really can't get enough Trails. This can't come out soon enough. (CSIV trailer)

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral
Playing through CS for the first time, got to the end of CS 1 and the fight with Loa Erebonius, after several frustrating party wipes finally hit on a winning strategy: have Rean endlessly Arc Strike them over and over again while the rest of the party whittled them down until they died without ever taking a turn.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Levantine posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gbZFoGKa9ko

I really can't get enough Trails. This can't come out soon enough. (CSIV trailer)

Hmmm
Shut up and take my money!

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Apraxin posted:

Playing through CS for the first time, got to the end of CS 1 and the fight with Loa Erebonius, after several frustrating party wipes finally hit on a winning strategy: have Rean endlessly Arc Strike them over and over again while the rest of the party whittled them down until they died without ever taking a turn.
You have discovered the winning move for the entirety of CS1 and 2. if you ever have trouble with anything again just do this.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

grancheater posted:

I think it's 'To be continued!' from Zero no Kiseki Super Arrange Version.

thank you! :sax:

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Wow, Ao might be the most difficult game to get max DP/BP/AP in based on how some of this is going. Multiple "deal X damage in Y turns" on some insanely difficult boss fights and minigames with some asinine timing requirements. At least there seems to be a decent cushion as far as I can tell for achieving the highest rank, unlike Sky SC's thin margin for A Rank.

SC Bracer
Aug 7, 2012

DEMAGLIO!
You mean you don't like the weird dancing minigame quest???

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

Mirello posted:

However, why the heck did they make battle turbo mode skip everything, including the results screen? I wish it just sped up animations like previous games. seems like a lot of 1 step forward, 1 step back stuff. Oh well.

Thats not how it is on PS4, so you probably need to check the settings on PC.
Rule 1 of a new game, scour the settings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

I've been replaying 1/2 as I play through 3 and the turbo mode in 1/2 is rather lazy compared to 3's.

Pressing it will do a quick screen fade-out and fade-in to show the damage number but cancel all animations, except for S-crafts, which you can skip with the start button. Only pressing start will skip the results screen, though?