Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thrashingteeth
Dec 22, 2019

depressive hedonia
always tired
taco tuesday
"We suggest that this clinical picture represents a new phenomenon affecting previously asymptomatic children with SARS-CoV-2 infection manifesting as a hyperinflammatory syndrome with multiorgan involvement similar to Kawasaki disease shock syndrome."

https://www.thelancet.com/action/showPdf?pii=S0140-6736%2820%2931094-1

Biggest number in Europe, better get those kids back into school quick.

(This is awful if true)

thrashingteeth fucked around with this message at 13:23 on May 12, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

https://twitter.com/baraGodzilla/status/1258682943716782080

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Gordon the Gopher's pal getting mad at the government multiple times is hilarious. Schofield has the energy of a guy who'd not get angry if you punched his kids in the face but here he is.

Goldskull
Feb 20, 2011

So if your workplace are cash strapped/money grubbers, the proposed 60% probably will happen then? loving Hell it's just the same as putting a further C19 spike on the public, "don't blame us if your employer can't make up the difference!"

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

Goldskull posted:

So if your workplace are cash strapped/money grubbers, the proposed 60% probably will happen then? loving Hell it's just the same as putting a further C19 spike on the public, "don't blame us if your employer can't make up the difference!"
i gather the cost sharing part is related to the option for workers to do part-time from august with details pending

all the official info: https://www.gov.uk/government/news/chancellor-extends-furlough-scheme-until-october

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Pro thread.

Also

Am I missing something there, or would some of those (like changing your name and dealing with medical gatekeeping) be things that trans people would already be far more familiar with than the general population, so the specific support seems strange?

MonkeyLibFront
Feb 26, 2003
Where's the cake?

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/coro...ocid=spartandhp

Blaming Gordon Brown for the wrong kind of goggles.

Even if they were the wrong spec in 2008, this should have been picked up years ago. I am just shocked that they don't rotate stock of things that could go out of date. Surely that's operational management 101! I even rotate my apocalypse cans of veg and bottled water supplies!

We have gloves that cause non freezing cold injuries at work (NFCI's), at regimental level they were all recalled 3 years ago, lads still come through training having been issued them, as with most things in logistics they were probably in a warehouse forgotten about or still get issued because we dont want to use the good stuff until we have to.

Guavanaut posted:

Pro thread.

Also

Am I missing something there, or would some of those (like changing your name and dealing with medical gatekeeping) be things that trans people would already be far more familiar with than the general population, so the specific support seems strange?

I wouldnt know but are there limits to the amount of times you can change your legal name or if there is a time restriction?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Doesn't look like a school or university, maybe online homeschool service.
But all the inventions seem to involve environmental sensors, so it's probably going to be some sensor/electronics kit designed for kids/teens.
It's either a Kickstarter thing, or it's one of the established lot, like Raspberry Pi foundation or Salter. Are they still going?

:hotpickle:
This is from a sketch show, right?

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

I know satire is dead and everything but I simply don't believe this one. The only scene in which you see the product in question you can't see the faces of any of the actors so it could easily have been faked.

MonkeyLibFront
Feb 26, 2003
Where's the cake?

Goldskull posted:

Would'nt this kind of scheme help in maybe splitting shifts in order to make work spaces covid compliant? say for example doing a 3 day week and being paid the other two by the guv? Buisness still gets a full weeks work out of the plebs but only pays 3/5?

MonkeyLibFront fucked around with this message at 14:09 on May 12, 2020

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

TACD posted:

I know satire is dead and everything but I simply don't believe this one. The only scene in which you see the product in question you can't see the faces of any of the actors so it could easily have been faked.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qtug5an4L8E

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Oh FFFFFS.

I was guessing some period app thing or whatever, but it's so much worse than even that.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

TACD posted:

The best part is the ad with Ms Monopoly and some text next to it along the lines of "Ms Monopoly is the niece of Monopoly Man and is self-made..."

I died reading it

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

O-Unit posted:

Long-time lurker infrequent poster looking for some advice please UKMT

I am really sorry that I can't be of more help, but is she part of a union? I really think that if she is she should contact them ASAP.

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.

O-Unit posted:

Long-time lurker infrequent poster looking for some advice please UKMT

My sister works on the shop floor of a posh pet shop chain. They've been worryingly lax about 'covid safety' with senior management forcing them to accept cash again, removing the barriers the floor-staff had errected to control the movement of public through the shop etc. They did give her a face shield though, one of those with a 4in gap around the edge which sure doesn't feel like it's doing much.

Anyway she has developed a slight cough in the past few days, and her Area Manager has ordered her to self-isolate on SSP again. Thing is, she doesn't believe this cough is Covid-related because a) she doesn't have a fever, and b) she has already had a spell of the full Covid symptoms (dry-cough, fever, loss of smell, etc.) last month, for which she self-isolated as she should have done. She has applied for a Covid test, but she hasn't even had an invitation to chose a timeslot yet so who knows how long that whole process is going to take with the current backlog.

The first period of 14 days of SSP ate most of her savings, and she's going to struggle if she has to do it again. Her poor landlord isn't budging on deferring her rent because "why should he take the hit". Of course in an ideal world she would have some kind of support to do the right thing for the sake of public health just in case it is Covid, but here we are.

It just doesn't feel right that she is forced to take SSP if it's not her decision to stay off because she feels able to work. In the before-times she'd have been lambasted for not dragging herself in whilst looking like death warmed up!

Should she be a capitalist's wet dream and fight for the pleasure of going to work? Is it law or simply strong government 'advice' to isolate if you have one very common symptom?

As timely a reminder as ever that there is a UKMT mutual aid fund, link in the OP.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Well, my manager called as they can begin looking into getting people working part time with the rest covered by furlough, so these glorious weeks of watching let's plays, learning Unity and making Mario Maker levels will soon be slightly disrupted. It was a good run.

I work with laptop hardware, so I need to get to an office at least once a week, but there's a local branch that will remain otherwise unused that I can work out of, so I can at least get out the house for a bit in a safe way and avoid paying for public transport.

bornbytheriver
Apr 23, 2010

Why would you have some queen related art work behind you? Stupid cock.

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde

bornbytheriver posted:

You don't have pictures of the queen on every wall of your home??

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
Apparently the international arrival quarantine doesn't apply to France. That seems... Kinda pointless then.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Piers Morgan and Phillip Schofield providing more effective opposition than Labour ffs

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

bornbytheriver posted:

You have a problem with the Sex Pistols?

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
https://twitter.com/JMagosh/status/1260137575995629568

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
The six pillars of the society

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
All involved with Jimmy Savile too.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Guavanaut posted:

Although not enough, in the case of the police.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

The Queen behind him with the trans flag colours. Gonna start a myth that Brenda is trans.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Jedit posted:

Although not enough, in the case of the police.

Oh the police were very involved. Just not in the correct way.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Guavanaut posted:

Maybe Jim was the last thing keeping British society together. Maybe it was like an Ursula K LeGuin story, and the perfect utopia of Britane could only be maintained by the presence of an apex nonce at the top of the food chain, tacitly accepted by the populace.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Tesseraction posted:

The Queen behind him with the trans flag colours. Gonna start a myth that Brenda is trans.
No it's when the queen dies one of the boys will secrete a hormone that changes them into a new queen, then Andrew will nonce an egg.

It's very different to trans/cis in humans.

floofyscorp
Feb 12, 2007

Borrovan posted:

Nah that's IWGB

Specifically, Game Workers Unite UK is a branch of IWGB; we're open to anyone who works in games in the UK, but not the broader tech industry. You might want to look into the Tech Workers Coalition which isn't a union per se but they're a cool bunch of tech comrades.

IWGB have recently started a 'holding branch' for people whose industries don't currently have much in the way of union representation; joining gives you access to our legal team and resources, and could help put you in touch with like-minded people to eventually form your own proper union branch.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

MonkeyLibFront posted:

I wouldnt know but are there limits to the amount of times you can change your legal name or if there is a time restriction?

There's no concept in English law of a "legal name", you can call yourself whatever you want as long as you're not trying to do something fraudulent. Some institutions like to see something with a vaguely official ring to it before they'll let you register with them and you can start building an ID trail with them, which is where an enrolled deed poll comes in useful; the deed poll itself is a formal notification that John Smith wishes to be known as Jack Jones from now on, and enrolling it at certain places is an indication that you're serious about using that name.

Trin Tragula fucked around with this message at 14:48 on May 12, 2020

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

2Time TRP Sack Race Champion

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Apparently the international arrival quarantine doesn't apply to France. That seems... Kinda pointless then.

Assume that’s because if it applied to France then it would apply to lorry drivers and gently caress up just in time delivery. which doesn’t make it much less pointless, esp as were far past the point of importing the virus.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

What if I don't bother to apply by deed poll but use my new name on forms with gold fringes?

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Jesus loving christ gently caress poo poo loving gently caress gently caress

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
https://twitter.com/will_corder/status/1260135771215998979

good lord

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

TACD posted:

Jesus loving christ gently caress poo poo loving gently caress gently caress

Just another day in 2020.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"

Mancock had to go through the same flat denial of the patently true on the Today program this morning.

Literally the first question: "Do you accept that the message from the government has confused people?"

"No."

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

Tesseraction posted:

What if I don't bother to apply by deed poll but use my new name on forms with gold fringes?

I sorta did this - my name is double barrelled but when I moved here I just started using my last name. It was fine.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

MonkeyLibFront posted:

Nope, you can do it every day if you want - I suppose eventually the court would get tired of your poo poo but there's no actual legal restriction.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Guavanaut posted:

Leeds United in the Championship though (and hopefully are staying there)