Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

PeterCat posted:

How was I misusing the term? Because the mob didn't come with a rope?

https://withoutsanctuary.org
These are lynchings.
Vigilantes are bad.
Vigilante mobs are worse.
Racist vigilante mobs are worse yet.
But lynch mobs/ lynchings are worse yet by an order of magnitude.

It's OK if something is 'merely' terrible. It doesn't have to be tarted up to be the worst thing ever.
I hope lynchings don't come back like there were from reconstruction to the 20s, but if they do, what words will you use to describe them? You've will have already devalued the real words by attaching them to things that aren't lynchings as a lazy way to express your (righteous) anger that such inexcusable behavior engenders.
Keep the strong words for the things that need them most.

joat mon fucked around with this message at 15:31 on May 12, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

And how would it have ended with an armed white mob trying to drag away a black kid, if the mom hadn't stopped them?

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

So, no rope = no lynching?

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
Lynching didn't go away in the 20s

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.

joat mon posted:

These are lynchings.
Vigilantes are bad.

It's OK if something is 'merely' terrible. It doesn't have to be tarted up to be the worst thing ever.
I hope lynchings don't come back like there were from reconstruction to the 20s, but if they do, what words will you use to describe them? You've will have already devalued the real words by attaching them to things that aren't lynchings as a lazy way to express your (righteous) anger that such inexcusable behavior engenders.

Honest question: what do you think was going to happen to that kid if the mob was able to take him from his house?

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

PeterCat posted:

So, no rope = no lynching?

Go look at some of these pictures:
See if you can spot any differences.
Hint: it's not ropes.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

Instead of :munch: you should Woof.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Do we know where Obama was on November 22nd 1963?

Or for that matter, where was he on 9/11?

DID OBAMA KILL JFK AND DO 9/11?!!

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

ManMythLegend posted:

Honest question: what do you think was going to happen to that kid if the mob was able to take him from his house?

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

UP THE BUM NO BABY posted:

Lynching didn't go away in the 20s

Hence the 'like they were' caveat.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.

BigDave posted:

Do we know where Obama was on November 22nd 1963?

Or for that matter, where was he on 9/11?

DID OBAMA KILL JFK AND DO 9/11?!!

Obama killed JFK with 9/11, duh :rolleye:

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Forget it Jake, he's a lawyer

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

ManMythLegend posted:

Lynch mobs don't care if your mom is there. Lynch mobs don't care of you tell them no. Lynch mobs don't care if their target is in jail. Lynch mobs take black people by whatever force is needed, take their victims away, humiliate them, murder them, and leave their mutilated bodies as further warning to others.

Woofer
Mar 2, 2020

:munch:

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

joat mon posted:

Lynch mobs don't care if your mom is there. Lynch mobs don't care of you tell them no. Lynch mobs don't care if their target is in jail. Lynch mobs take black people by whatever force is needed, take their victims away, humiliate them, murder them, and leave their mutilated bodies as further warning to others.

So an armed mob of white men that came to do violence on a minority for crimes real or imagined can't be called a "lynch mob" because they didn't succeed for whatever reason?

Like, I'm as pedantic as the next guy but this seems like a hella bad take my man.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Leavemywife posted:

Obama killed JFK with 9/11, duh :rolleye:

I like it.

JFK Quantum Leaped into Obama and crashed flight 93 to save the White House.

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

joat mon posted:

Well excuse the gently caress outta me. These concerned citizens, exercising their 1st and 2nd Amendment rights, made an error while attempting to save a 16 year old from the clutches of a black man. I retract any aspersions I may have cast upon these patriots and will do my best in the future to accurately name racially motivated armed mobs.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

It’s the same county that had an actual coup in 1898, with black people getting murdered by the dozens (and maybe hundreds).

quote:

The coup occurred after the state's white Southern Democrats conspired and led a mob of 2,000 white men to overthrow the legitimately-elected local Fusionist government. They expelled opposition black and white political leaders from the city, destroyed the property and businesses of black citizens built up since the Civil War, including the only black newspaper in the city, and killed an estimated 60 to more than 300 people.[15][16][17][18]

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wilmington_insurrection_of_1898

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

joat mon posted:

lol, Schrodinger's lynch mob.

"How can we know their intent?", he says as the armed white mob tries to drag away a black teenager for imagined offenses with a girl.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
HERE'S WHAT I THINK OF THIS CONVERSATION

https://twitter.com/atrupar/status/1260218527409147905?s=19

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

The only reason he wasn't killed is that they're pushing the boundary so see what exactly they can get away with. We're a governor/presidential pardon followed by a trump tweet encouraging citizens arrest of 'thugs' and illegal immigrants away from this type of poo poo really escalating, but no one wants to be the first to go all the way and find out.

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

So, Ahmaud Arbery, lynched or not?

https://www.tmz.com/2020/05/05/shooting-video-unarmed-black-man-killed-ahmaud-arbery-georgia-jogging/

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.

Game plan is just lie to the public until it becomes the truth, SOP for the GOP.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Riot Carol Danvers posted:

Game plan is just lie to the public until it becomes the truth, SOP for the GOP.

"Senator McConnell, we have video surveillance of you strangling a topless dancer in the company of Chinese officials who later bribed you with $100,000 in cash and a kilogram of cocaine, how do you respond?"

"Well, really it's Obama's fault."

"Can you elaborate on that?"

"FAKE NEWS!"

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

article doesn't mention anyone making postcards, seems pretty open and shut

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

BigDave posted:

"Senator McConnell, we have video surveillance of you strangling a topless dancer in the company of Chinese officials who later bribed you with $100,000 in cash and a kilogram of cocaine, how do you respond?"

"FAKE NEWS!"

This. And it will work.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

BigDave posted:

"FAKE NEWS!"

That's being overly generous to the diligence of most media interviews.

"Intriguing, let's ask the Biden campaign how it responds to these new allegations."

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

"aspiring to lynch" mob

Woofer
Mar 2, 2020

That Works posted:

"aspiring to lynch" mob

Sounds like a neo nazi death metal band

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

joat mon posted:

Then again, it's pretty clear nobody ITT knows what that word means.

On break at the pedantry factory

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Wingnut Ninja posted:

That's being overly generous to the diligence of most media interviews.

"Intriguing, let's ask the Biden campaign how it responds to these new allegations."

Biden: "All I can say is that I wouldn't have done the same, but we don't have the full story yet, and we should reserve judgement until all the facts are in. I've worked with Senator McConnell for 30 years and know him to be a honorable family man with a impeccable reputation."

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Woofer posted:

Sounds like a neo nazi death metal band

Quantum zyklon state

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

technically what they did wasn't lynching it was ephebophilia

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

PookBear posted:

Hey now we can’t be unfair to large gathering of armed angry white people trying to violently confront black teens for dating white girls by calling them a Lynch mob :decorum:

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

PookBear posted:

I mean it was normal in the 70s, so, you see,

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

The mob failed at lynching though so it can’t be a lynch mob. At best it’s an attempted lynch mob. Do they give out Nobel prizes in attempted chemistry?

It’s about ethics in mob journalism.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Pffft lynch mobs these days. Back in the good ol days If we had a wrong address we’d just have a two-fer-one.

These loving disgusting people need to be smashed hard by the rule of law so they stop these “I’m not touching you” actions. The minute they think they will get away with it their bravery will spark up and a strong black mama won’t be enough to push them back.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

hobbesmaster posted:

It’s about ethics in mob journalism.

brains
May 12, 2004

joat mon posted:

These are lynchings.
Vigilantes are bad.

maybe, since in the last 100 years society has moved from describing lynchings as commonplace to a reviled, heinous act, we should recognize there is a lower baseline of unacceptable conduct now? like armed mobs with not-subtle LEO endorsement hunting down black people? to me, that sure seems like the absolute worst thing happening nowadays. yes, lynching is horrific, but (thank loving god) it doesn't happen on the scale it did. a single lynching today would be national news; a 100 years ago, it was a nightly occurrence all over america.

we should be condemning and prosecuting this poo poo in the strongest terms, because the reasoning "oh it's not lynching, that was even worse" ignores the progress already made. there was a huge effort to stop racist fucks from lynching blacks all the loving time, and really the pressure needs to keep going up. racist armed vigilante mobs aren't lynching, but it sure as gently caress is the gateway drug to that poo poo coming back, so it needs to be absolutely crushed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

mlmp08 posted:

You got mad because of this sentence "We massively overuse jail and prison in America"

Chill out; the sentence above is about the most lukewarm take except among those who subscribe to "law and order" BS or lobby for the prison complex.

I didn't get mad, I rolled my eyes. If I misread your intent behind changing the subject to one that has a history of starting slapfights worse than this one, sorry.