Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pastamania
Mar 5, 2012

You cannot know.
The things I've seen.
The things I've done.
The things he made me do.
I was actually ok with Seven's characterisation in this. She was, for all intents and purposes, a child in VOY, it makes sense that someone like that would be a significantly different person 20 years on - she had further to 'grow' than other characters over that time. Given how unimportant to the plot she was though, I wonder if the real reason she was there is she's one of the more marketable individual 90s Trek Characters, so if Patrick Stewart's health takes a turn for the worse so the show can quickly evolve into Star Trek: Seven of Nine.

If you're going to look at the returning cast, I had more of a problem with Jean Luc Picard - Dipshit space rear end in a top hat, personally.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

Season 1 seemed to be "how Picard got his groove back" so I have a feeling we will see less of that in season 2

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
he got his groove back by becoming a robot lol

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

Tighclops posted:

he got his groove back by becoming a robot lol

He got his groove back and became a robot as a bonus

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Hopefully it means he’ll act a bit younger. Doddery old man Picard felt too weak at times.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

gently caress it, make it an anthology. Next season is Star Trek: Riker.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

MikeJF posted:

gently caress it, make it an anthology. Next season is Star Trek: Riker.

This is just a cooking show, right?

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
The robot thing was real dumb because they made him a robot and then quickly handwaved away any sort of robotic advantages so unless that stuff gets retconned there will be no interesting story bits related to him now being an artificial life form. Which I guess is fine from the perspective of "artificial life forms are life forms and deserve the same respect and compassion as all living things" but honestly they could have just said his made up future disease was cured and be done with it.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

It's a cooking show and also a slapstick comedy where Riker tries to hide from his family that he's back to moonlighting as a Starship Captain in the evening when he told them he was just going out to compete in the beta quadrant pizzapalooza.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
Riker eat the eggs

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

pik_d posted:

We watched These Are The Voyages... last night and while the episode is as bad as its reputation (especially given how well Terra Prime works as a series finale) it was nice to see Riker in the kitchen. He even makes pizza with Dr. Phlox!

MikeJF posted:

It's a cooking show and also a slapstick comedy where Riker tries to hide from his family that he's back to moonlighting as a Starship Captain in the evening when he told them he was just going out to compete in the beta quadrant pizzapalooza.

Riker make the show

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

Tighclops posted:

Riker eat the eggs

He would

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

DrNutt posted:

The robot thing was real dumb because they made him a robot and then quickly handwaved away any sort of robotic advantages so unless that stuff gets retconned there will be no interesting story bits related to him now being an artificial life form. Which I guess is fine from the perspective of "artificial life forms are life forms and deserve the same respect and compassion as all living things" but honestly they could have just said his made up future disease was cured and be done with it.

One interesting route they could go with it is whether or not robo Picard counts as the same person. Will Starfleet still recognize his commission and rank? Ia he still recognized as the original JL Picard under the law, who owns a vineyard and all of JL's physical and intellectual property? Does this set the precendent that all uploaded consciousnesses are legally different people when divorced from their meat bodies, and forced to forfeit whatever entitlements, properties, or priveleges, they may have held when in those meat bodies?

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

pik_d posted:

1 hour of him getting drunk on space booze and forgetting to cook anything. Then he replicates something at the last second and adds more salt and tries to pass it off as his own cooking to his family.

Nullsmack
Dec 7, 2001
Digital apocalypse

pik_d posted:

Star Trek: Riker
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wlFyuwUagz0

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Drink-Mix Man posted:

One interesting route they could go with it is whether or not robo Picard counts as the same person. Will Starfleet still recognize his commission and rank? Ia he still recognized as the original JL Picard under the law, who owns a vineyard and all of JL's physical and intellectual property? Does this set the precendent that all uploaded consciousnesses are legally different people when divorced from their meat bodies, and forced to forfeit whatever entitlements, properties, or priveleges, they may have held when in those meat bodies?

something something the transporter kills you and replicates a clone yadda yadda

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

pik_d posted:

My Dinner With Riker. Every episode someone else visits and they all hang out and cook and eat amazing food with weird alien ingredients mixed in.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

mllaneza posted:

My Dinner With Riker. Every episode someone else visits and they all hang out and cook and eat amazing food with weird alien ingredients mixed in.

I would absolutely watch that.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

mllaneza posted:

Do they get drunk through the show or do they start drunk and then get more drunk through the show?

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

mllaneza posted:

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Brawnfire posted:

"Nonsense, it's a beautiful day. Come, number one, let's take a stroll."

*intense firefight just behind Picard as the Romulans take out a drop-ship of assassin drones*

"Hm, a bit hot, actually, perhaps a water..."

*one Romulan stops garroting a spy for long enough to hand him a brimming ice water*

The second season of What We Do In The Shadows opened with a montage like this and it was great.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

In an episode of TNG right after O'Brian and Keiko get married, O'Brien makes Keiko a potato casserole with capers. It sounded so good that I found a recipe online and I'm thinking about making it this week.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

mllaneza posted:

Why do the joke ideas all sound so much better than the ones they actually decided to make?

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
because canonically the klingons blew up god at the end of TFF

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Tighclops posted:

because canonically the klingons blew up god at the end of TFF

Technically Spock blew up god. :catbert:

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Voyager update:

It's still bland but honestly it's a lot better than I remember it being. The few episodes with Brad Dourif were really cool, and there had been a handful of episodes that actually surprised me with how much I liked them. I just finished the episode with the two Ferengi and it made me really sad that we probably won't see many more classic Star Trek races.

It's agreed that The Doctor is the best character on this show though, right?

Anyway, four more seasons to go.

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.

Drink-Mix Man posted:

Just lol if you think they're going to put that much thought into it.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Martytoof posted:

Voyager update:

It's still bland but honestly it's a lot better than I remember it being. The few episodes with Brad Dourif were really cool, and there had been a handful of episodes that actually surprised me with how much I liked them. I just finished the episode with the two Ferengi and it made me really sad that we probably won't see many more classic Star Trek races.

It's agreed that The Doctor is the best character on this show though, right?

Anyway, four more seasons to go.
Yes The Doctor is the best. Seven is second but she doesn’t even show up until Season 4.

pyrotek
May 21, 2004

FlamingLiberal posted:

Everything with Seven is so weird. She is just radically different from when we last saw the character, and while I get that some bad things have happened to her, she feels like a completely different character.

I also feel like she didn’t need to be in the show that much considering what she ends up doing. I would have liked to have had more time between her and Picard considering their shared past and all of that.

Did Picard even need to be in Picard? What would have happened if he just stayed on the vineyard?

On the one hand, a couple dozen synths that were convinced to end all organic life in about five minutes and an unknown Soong would have been killed. On the other hand, the deaths on the Romulan refugee planet wouldn't have happened, the Stardust City slaughter would have been avoided, and unknown thousands or millions on the Borg cube would have survived.

And I guess Picard would be dead? No big loss.

Arglebargle III posted:

Same but also Picard.

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

pyrotek posted:

Did Picard even need to be in Picard?

Picard S2: Picardo (main character is the voyager EMH) - it could work?

Retrowave Joe
Jul 20, 2001

Guinan being in season 2 makes me think they're gonna go ahead and make Time's Arrow Part III, where Picard's head gets left on El-Auria 500 years in the past.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Note: Picard died on the way back to his home planet

But then they gave him a robot body :mad:

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Retrowave Joe posted:

Guinan being in season 2 makes me think they're gonna go ahead and make Time's Arrow Part III, where Picard's head gets left on El-Auria 500 years in the past.

They never really did explain how their relationship was beyond friends, beyond family

Of course with the level of de aging tech CBS apparently has, yeesh

Maybe Tom Hardy is available

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

The Bloop posted:

They never really did explain how their relationship was beyond friends, beyond family

And that's perfectly fine. Not everything needs to be explored and explained in extreme detail.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

Martytoof posted:

Note: Picard died on the way back to his home planet

But then they gave him a robot body :mad:

CBS executives compiling notes from Reddits to try to focus group what fans want from a new show: "Seems like they want a realistic, down-to-earth show... that's completely off the wall and swarming with magic robots."

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Timby posted:

And that's perfectly fine. Not everything needs to be explored and explained in extreme detail.

Oh I fully agree

It's usually better left to the imagination, in fact. But I'm just speculating about season 2. I doubt she'll be tending bar

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

The Bloop posted:

Oh I fully agree

It's usually better left to the imagination, in fact. But I'm just speculating about season 2. I doubt she'll be tending bar

Counterpoint: Raffi and Rios getting served at Guinen's bar for an hour, shooting the poo poo.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
season 2: Guinan hauls that giant alien space rifle from that one episode of TNG out from behind the bar and mows everybody down with it. Satisfied, she chomps down on a stogey and does a shot of bourb-

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

Drink-Mix Man posted:

CBS executives compiling notes from Reddits to try to focus group what fans want from a new show: "Seems like they want a realistic, down-to-earth show... that's completely off the wall and swarming with magic robots."

"Picard needs to be louder, angrier, and have access to a dune buggy."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Tighclops posted:

season 2: Guinan hauls that giant alien space rifle from that one episode of TNG out from behind the bar and mows everybody down with it. Satisfied, she chomps down on a stogey and does a shot of bourb-

That bigass gun is simultaneously the coolest and dumbest thing about Guinan.