Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
Finally, path of exile did something right

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Ruffian Price posted:

He spends most of the game flirting with his wife :3:

omg :3:

I'm pretty sure that's also a thing in Infamous: Second Son.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

I learned a ton of vocabulary playing Realmz as a kid. Of course I pronounced everything wrong, like fatigue was fatty-goo.

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

The Moon Monster posted:

I learned a ton of vocabulary playing Realmz as a kid. Of course I pronounced everything wrong, like fatigue was fatty-goo.

I remember everyone in my school playing Pokemon and pronouncing ether as "Eh-ther" instead of "Ee-ther"

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Caesar Saladin posted:

its a bunch of 40 year old doofuses claiming that the new doom misses the point of the old doom. what is the point of the old doom? Circlestrafing in mazes while collecting coloured keycards?

Nobody in the world wants that in the current year, nobody would buy that or give a poo poo about it. People act like there is some noble spirit of doom that the new games are breaking.

this is the poo poo i'm talking about, ahh these game journos do not understand the deep philosophy of doom design, they just don't "get" it. lmao

"Get" is in quotes because there's very little to get about Doom and the D:E still didn't, and that's a huge part of why it's such a stupid waste of a game. They just went ahead and made an uninspired AAA game with the same AAA bullshit in it you've been able to play in better AAA games for twenty years or so now.

People are still playing Doom/Doom II in large part because there's elegance in simplicity, the concept is evocative, you can mod it to the nines, and 27 years later it's still the basic template of how to make a good shooter. It's pretty much the Mario Bros. of the FPS genre. Whatever Doom Eternal is, it's not elegant and it has no concept besides having an extraordinarily dated idea of trendy. It would've stood out as bad 10 years ago and is coasting on people associating with Doom '16, the actual good game.

Doom '16 is fantastic and had a clear, simple, well-done vision with an incredibly strong aesthetic that fully realized what a modern Doom game could look like. They made something new and cool and yet also the first truly good Doom since the late 90's.

Mechanically, Doom Eternal is a pathetic mess and it has no aesthetic besides "World of Warcraft," it's hot garbage top to bottom. At bare minimum, jumping puzzles in Doom are a loving war crime and just scream out that no one understood what they were working on. The mechanics are a waste, if you need a loving VR room to explain how your guns work you hosed up on two counts there, you just plain don't get it--even your unremarkable average-to-bad shooters don't need this. You don't need tricks or the "correct" weapon to kill monsters, this isn't Zelda, gently caress off and eat poo poo, I hate you. The cut scenes are so bad it's actually incredible, but if you've sat through a bunch of incoherent, hackneyed Japanese RPGs or are one of those sad fucks who actually read the quest text in WoW I'm sure you loved it. The environments are uninspired samey poo poo you've seen in a thousand throwaway games. The art design has regressed into cartooniness. They've upped the self-referential humor into being obnoxious enough that it's clear they're doing it because they think gamers will like it, not because they do.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
Original Doom is awsome, there is no end to the levels available and I'll still run through at least the first episode once every few years, beyond that its not actually that great, it was after all a free Episode used as a marketing tool for the entire game

Doom 3 I should go back and replay because its been at least a decade and I'm sure its alright for a dark sci fi shooter

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Rutibex posted:

i was curious just now and apparently the concept of mana comes from Polynesian culture of all things. i guess Path of Exile is the one game that is using it correctly

i use it correctly also

but i use it more correctly because mana comes from your bones not from aer

you know what else sucks in video games? having to re-up buffs (or apply them in the first place) in an action game. mmo design horse poo poo

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.

JollyBoyJohn posted:

Original Doom is awsome, there is no end to the levels available and I'll still run through at least the first episode once every few years, beyond that its not actually that great, it was after all a free Episode used as a marketing tool for the entire game

Doom 3 I should go back and replay because its been at least a decade and I'm sure its alright for a dark sci fi shooter

It's pretty meh, actually. Play System Shock 2 instead.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

olives black posted:

It's pretty meh, actually. Play System Shock 2 instead.

Look don't get me wrong System Shock 2 is great but its just clunky enough that I haven't went back and re-played it in a while, that game could use some kind of HD upgrade

I really should play Prey

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

JollyBoyJohn posted:

Doom 2 is basically the best early Doom, the original episodes do become tedious from lack of variety and what is now referred to somewhat :rolleyes:ingly as the "gameplay loop."

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Doom 3 was never good, in fact

WILDTURKEY101
Mar 7, 2005

Look to your left. Look to your right. Only one of you is going to pass this course.
Nintendo makes the best sports games and I bought a switch years ago hoping for a new golf or baseball game but got nothing. I'm just playing Super Tennis and the NES baseball.

Also Stalker is the best FPS ever made

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I wasn't saying the voice acting in FF7R is bad. I was saying the actual dialog. The things the voice actors are told to say and when. Sometimes one person will say something and the response sounds like something from a different conversation. Or the tone of the conversation will turn on a dime for no reason. This is especially obvious when Aerith joins the party.

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

STALKER, Necrovision and The Darkness all need sequels.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

WILDTURKEY101 posted:

Nintendo makes the best sports games and I bought a switch years ago hoping for a new golf or baseball game but got nothing. I'm just playing Super Tennis and the NES baseball.

Also Stalker is the best FPS ever made

no one has yet to make a better hockey game then Ice Hockey for the NES

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

Rutibex posted:

Perhaps the truest, least disputable post on the internet.

I had two games for the NES as a kid, Mario/Duck Hunt and Ice Hockey.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

JollyBoyJohn posted:

Look don't get me wrong System Shock 2 is great but its just clunky enough that I haven't went back and re-played it in a while, that game could use some kind of HD upgrade

I really should play Prey

Prey rules. If you’re playing it on Steam getting a controller to work is a pain because the steam overlay goes nuts and tries to make your controller read as mouse and keyboard but it’s an easy fix when you know what’s happening.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

wayne gretzky's hockey was also an NES masterpiece, forever marred by memories of mod balls

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Prey rules. If you’re playing it on Steam getting a controller to work is a pain because the steam overlay goes nuts and tries to make your controller read as mouse and keyboard but it’s an easy fix when you know what’s happening.

Do you have a link/guide to this fix at all? I tried playing it with a wired 360 controller and I couldn't even get past the main menu. Googling didn't really get me anywhere last time I tried.

Yes I'm one of those broken sorts who prefers playing FPSes with a controller (single player, I'm not a total idiot).

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

NonzeroCircle posted:

Do you have a link/guide to this fix at all? I tried playing it with a wired 360 controller and I couldn't even get past the main menu. Googling didn't really get me anywhere last time I tried.

Yes I'm one of those broken sorts who prefers playing FPSes with a controller (single player, I'm not a total idiot).

You have to go into the game settings and turn the steam controller settings to forced off. Then use a mouse and KB to set the controls to controller in game, then restart and you should be good.

You used to have to go into big picture mode to force that off, because Valve thought people actually used BPM if they were playing with a controller. I don’t like how steam will gently caress with game settings without telling you or letting you know.

Dubplate Fire
Aug 1, 2010

:hfive: bruvs be4 luvs

food court bailiff posted:

wayne gretzky's hockey was also an NES masterpiece, forever marred by memories of mod balls

I was partial to Blades of Steel.

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

Rutibex posted:

There's a fun spiritual successor to it in steam.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/532190/Super_Blood_Hockey/

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray
I've been playing some slightly older games I somehow never noticed or wasn't able to play the first time around. Need for Speed: The Run is actually one of the better Need for Speed games I've played, INFINITELY better than whatever that poo poo was they released recently, don't even remember the name. The main reason is the driving feels cool as gently caress, it's heavy and somewhat unrealistic but still requires plenty of skill and feels pretty drat good. I decided to start on Hard mode which was a good decisions because it actually presents a reasonably steep challenge where I'll fail several times over on certain tracks.

Mafia III, I somehow didn't know this game existed and I'm enjoying it. It isn't perfect but the world they captured is unlike anything else I've seen in a game. Apparently it was glitched at launch but my version is extremely stable.

I've spent a lot of time on SnowRunner, that's a relatively new game but I absolutely get it and that open world physics sandbox with challenging puzzles and missions is fantastic. If you're a patient sort and like physics-based challenges you might like it.

Shadow Warrior 2 is a really fun game, excels at basically making you feel like an overpowered mystical ninja with bad one liners. The randomly generated levels are kind of a nice touch actually, I don't mind them. Plus it looks great to this day (which, fair to say, is only 4 years later)

signalnoise posted:

Xcom is not a terrible offender here in my opinion, but things could be done to improve its animations. Battletech absolutely was, before the option was added to just speed up fuckin everything. As an actual recommendation though, if you want to see "Xcom but with animation speeds done better" try out Gears Tactics. Two major things are done to improve the fluidity of combat, I think. First, each thing you do whether it is movement or firing or using some ability, it takes an action point and you get 3 per turn. When you set someone to use overwatch, they can fire in overwatch for as many action points as they had when you set them up. In combination with that, enemy turns combine movement and actions for multiple units to act simultaneously. Enemies also die way easier in Gears Tactics compared to Xcom, and they throw more enemies at you. The result of all this together is sometimes they send waves of enemies at you through multiple arcs of overwatch and it's just a fuckin murder hole. The game doesn't have any base management or money or whatever, it's just a straight up mission progression, but if I could do Xcom with Gears Tactics combat I would.

Gears Tactics is fun, but t's not all that different from XCOM or XCOM Breach or whatever that new one is called. I do like it a lot, it has unique enemies, good controls and it looks wonderful, the Gears universe was almost tailor-made for a turn based strategy game and it shows. I do like the overwatch system better, I'll give you that.

I'm also playing Gears 5 right now, which I'm liking. My last copy glitched out during a cutscene in Act 1 every time but I finally got it working and it's a nice game, good environments, good combat, interesting and sometimes difficult enemies and scenarios.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

this guy gets it, he understands the true spirit of Ice Hockey :ussr:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5kXVFCfBWoQ&t=146s

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge
A lot of people in this thread never got to play the Kunio-Kun Hockey game, and it shows.

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

Play posted:

Need for Speed: The Run is actually one of the better Need for Speed games I've played
It was widely knocked for "being two hours long" by reviewers who just did the QTE story mode without bothering with the challenge series. Two hours of unique tracks should have been a plus.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

STALKER is underrated and a better execution of the 'open world shooter with loot' than Fallout 3 onwards. Fallout 3 + are bad, bad games made on the cheap and it shows how bad Bethesda's tools are when they have to be 1% different from a TES game.

Meanwhile, the chad STALKER was made on near zero budgets and is actually atmospheric, spooky and intense.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
Games shouldn't take longer than about 10 hours to complete a story mode. Pretty much universally everything above that is about padding the experience because the game designer is focused on metrics rather than quality.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Breetai posted:

Games shouldn't take longer than about 10 hours to complete a story mode.

personally my number is about 30 hours, that's an ff6 or ff9 if you know what you're doing. legend of mana, threads of fate, they're all about in that range. past 30 and my patience runs thin; past 50 and you better be like lost odyssey levels of amazing

but it's good to know that <10 hours is still acceptable to some people, makes me feel better about my target gameplay clock times

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

well why not posted:

STALKER is underrated and a better execution of the 'open world shooter with loot' than Fallout 3 onwards. Fallout 3 + are bad, bad games made on the cheap and it shows how bad Bethesda's tools are when they have to be 1% different from a TES game.

Meanwhile, the chad STALKER was made on near zero budgets and is actually atmospheric, spooky and intense.

If you think a Fallout is a shooter then yes you're going to have a bad time.

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.

3D Megadoodoo posted:

If you think a Fallout past 2 is a good game then yes you're going to have a bad time.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
:confused:
but Fallout: Tactics is awesome?

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.

Rutibex posted:

:confused:
but Fallout: Tactics rules?

oh yeah forgot about that one

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
New Vegas also rules, and if you think that’s just rose colored glasses, nope. I am playing it right now.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
why can't i play New Vegas on the Switch Lite?! come on Todd Howard i know you like money

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

Sodomy Hussein posted:

"Get" is in quotes because there's very little to get about Doom and the D:E still didn't, and that's a huge part of why it's such a stupid waste of a game. They just went ahead and made an uninspired AAA game with the same AAA bullshit in it you've been able to play in better AAA games for twenty years or so now.

People are still playing Doom/Doom II in large part because there's elegance in simplicity, the concept is evocative, you can mod it to the nines, and 27 years later it's still the basic template of how to make a good shooter. It's pretty much the Mario Bros. of the FPS genre. Whatever Doom Eternal is, it's not elegant and it has no concept besides having an extraordinarily dated idea of trendy. It would've stood out as bad 10 years ago and is coasting on people associating with Doom '16, the actual good game.

Doom '16 is fantastic and had a clear, simple, well-done vision with an incredibly strong aesthetic that fully realized what a modern Doom game could look like. They made something new and cool and yet also the first truly good Doom since the late 90's.

Mechanically, Doom Eternal is a pathetic mess and it has no aesthetic besides "World of Warcraft," it's hot garbage top to bottom. At bare minimum, jumping puzzles in Doom are a loving war crime and just scream out that no one understood what they were working on. The mechanics are a waste, if you need a loving VR room to explain how your guns work you hosed up on two counts there, you just plain don't get it--even your unremarkable average-to-bad shooters don't need this. You don't need tricks or the "correct" weapon to kill monsters, this isn't Zelda, gently caress off and eat poo poo, I hate you. The cut scenes are so bad it's actually incredible, but if you've sat through a bunch of incoherent, hackneyed Japanese RPGs or are one of those sad fucks who actually read the quest text in WoW I'm sure you loved it. The environments are uninspired samey poo poo you've seen in a thousand throwaway games. The art design has regressed into cartooniness. They've upped the self-referential humor into being obnoxious enough that it's clear they're doing it because they think gamers will like it, not because they do.

I think you just suck at it.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Rutibex posted:

why can't i play New Vegas on the Switch Lite?! come on Todd Howard i know you like money

Some things transcend money. Like being shamed when an outsider does your job better than you do.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Breetai posted:

Games shouldn't take longer than about 10 hours to complete a story mode. Pretty much universally everything above that is about padding the experience because the game designer is focused on metrics rather than quality.

This should be the OP for a Videogame truths thread.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

3D Megadoodoo posted:

If you think a Fallout is a shooter then yes you're going to have a bad time.

how is it not

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

well why not posted:

how is it not

It is a shooter in the same way as Adventure is a throwing game.