Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Captain Invictus posted:

dang, nice. definitely tossing that phyrexian altar up then, probably sisay too. only thing I'm worried about is overly meticulous people freaking out over a small scratch or something on a card, when ebaying stuff like that, what's the best way to go about talking about condition, just say "card is used", provide a general condition like "dings along the edge, some marks, etc" and provide a photo, or go into critical detail on every small aspect?

still forever regretting offloading all my dualies(was that a thing outside my local card shop? dual lands, obviously) for 30 bucks a pop back when I got out. just ebaying "revised dual land" makes me depressed since I had four of each. Oh well, I got them for next to nothing when magic was still fairly niche, so it's just coulda regret.

they're not gonna freak out, but it will reduce the value. Even so, choice cards are so in demand that people will gladly pay the SP or even HP "discount" at still decent prices

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Captain Invictus posted:

dang, nice. definitely tossing that phyrexian altar up then, probably sisay too. only thing I'm worried about is overly meticulous people freaking out over a small scratch or something on a card, when ebaying stuff like that, what's the best way to go about talking about condition, just say "card is used", provide a general condition like "dings along the edge, some marks, etc" and provide a photo, or go into critical detail on every small aspect?

still forever regretting offloading all my dualies(was that a thing outside my local card shop? dual lands, obviously) for 30 bucks a pop back when I got out. just ebaying "revised dual land" makes me depressed since I had four of each. Oh well, I got them for next to nothing when magic was still fairly niche, so it's just coulda regret.

Look up grading guides (e.g. TCGPlayer's) to give yourself an idea of what people are expecting. Eyeballing the original photos on my phone it looks like they're mostly Near-Mint with a few Lightly Played's (scuffed edges), but you'd really need to take a closer look at each individual card with the grading guidelines in mind.

I'd definitely include a photo - if you're only selling a small number of cards then it's not much of a hassle to snap a picture of each one, and it avoids problems if the buyer has a different idea of what a particular condition means.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
So my cousin lives in a shady apartment area and doesn't feel comfortable ordering things online, so he's been using me as a proxy-- he asks me what to order, pays me, and I do so.

He recently bought a NM Mox Diamond from tcgplayer which was supposed to be delivered to me on the 11th. However, USPS tried to deliver it to me early, but I was in the shower when they knocked to ask me to sign. They left me a notice that said I could pick it up later or request redelivery. I requested redelivery for the 11th. I waited by the door all day and even though my informed delivery email said it was coming, it never did. In fact it never said it was even out for delivery.

Out of curiosity I wondered where it was just a moment ago at around 3:45am and if it would be put out for delivery today. I checked the tracking and these complete goddamn idiots delivered the card to some unspecified address, and someone else signed for it, and the person it says signed for it isn't even remotely close to my name. So someone else just got something that cost $291 and it ain't me.

What the gently caress do I even do? I don't want my cousin to be out $300 just because our idiot delivery person gave it to someone else. I'm panicking right now and that's not a good place to be at 4:30 in the morning.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

I mean you call USPS and raise hell.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I don’t understand how they delivered something to the wrong address and asked someone to sign for it. If you have the person’s name, try asking your landlord if they are in the same building and maybe you can just go get it like “I have your name, you clearly signed for it.” Otherwise yeah go to USPS and get as Karen as possible.

CARD SELLER GOON: what I would do is go and contact a local game store in the area via phone and ask if someone at the store will help you appraise the cards. In Magic we go by Near Mint (NM), Light Play (LP), Some//Slight Play (SP), Heavy Play (HP), and then Damaged. NM commands the best price, I imagine most of your cards will be SP to HP, it you’ll still get great value for that Altar and that Sisay I’m sure.

Bust Rodd fucked around with this message at 12:23 on May 12, 2020

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

Genius. Billionaire. Playboy. Philanthropist.

Speaking as a mail carrier; you 100% call USPS and file a complaint for it. USPS will know exactly where that parcel was scanned at even if they don't tell you the exact address and will hunt it down. Be polite but make it clear that you do not know who it is that signed for it.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Robviously posted:

Speaking as a mail carrier; you 100% call USPS and file a complaint for it. USPS will know exactly where that parcel was scanned at even if they don't tell you the exact address and will hunt it down. Be polite but make it clear that you do not know who it is that signed for it.

Ive has this happen with Fedex for an important work package and calling and politely raising hell (remember the person you are talking to didn’t gently caress up, just make it clear what happened and that it’s a big deal) for it resolved quickly.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Bust Rodd posted:

CARD SELLER GOON: what I would do is go and contact a local game store in the area via phone and ask if someone at the store will help you appraise the cards. In Magic we go by Near Mint (NM), Light Play (LP), Some//Slight Play (SP), Heavy Play (HP), and then Damaged. NM commands the best price, I imagine most of your cards will be SP to HP, it you’ll still get great value for that Altar and that Sisay I’m sure.
the only place I know of really close to me stopped doing magic stuff, and the card shop I always played at(and the reason I stopped playing mtg/pokemon entirely) was bought out by the most comic book guy/guy from the WoW south park episode fucker imaginable and turned into his mtg ebay storeroom. and then the place I went to after that shut down after the owner died. I think the closest card game places are out near boston, really. but I'll look around and see if there's anything nearby, thanks.

well, for whenever we stop being in infectious hellworld, anyways.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Salvor_Hardin posted:

Let's take a quick time out to appreciate Volrath's Margarita Machine

So thats whats pouring down on City of Traitors/Volrath Stronghold art

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Bust Rodd posted:

I don’t understand how they delivered something to the wrong address and asked someone to sign for it. If you have the person’s name, try asking your landlord if they are in the same building and maybe you can just go get it like “I have your name, you clearly signed for it.” Otherwise yeah go to USPS and get as Karen as possible.

This is Canada post not USPS but similar story:

One time I was housesitting for a friend and the mailcarrier came and they wanted me to sign for a delivery. I didn't recognise the name and it was for the other half of the duplex (separate apartment in the same house). The carrier had just rung both doorbells and the other people weren't home. They tried to get me to sign for it anyway despite not living there, or being in the correct unit, or even knowing the intended recipient at all, complaining that they'd have to take it back to the post office if I didn't take it.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

Bust Rodd posted:

I don't either. I have the "Sorry we missed you!" slip that asked me to request redelivery. I have a redelivery number. I have the original tracking number.

They stuck the slip on my door. They know where I live, I get deliveries all the drat time. I do not understand how they could gently caress up this tremendously.

Robviously posted:

I just called and I am in a queue of "over one hour" until they call me back and I can potentially get some help.

I don't know how you can not even bother to check and make sure you're delivering to the right person at the right address, ask them if they are that person, and see that their signature says something completely loving different and think "hmm, this is okay".

kalvanoo
Apr 29, 2018

look at this lil perv

Lone Goat posted:

This is Canada post not USPS but similar story:

One time I was housesitting for a friend and the mailcarrier came and they wanted me to sign for a delivery. I didn't recognise the name and it was for the other half of the duplex (separate apartment in the same house). The carrier had just rung both doorbells and the other people weren't home. They tried to get me to sign for it anyway despite not living there, or being in the correct unit, or even knowing the intended recipient at all, complaining that they'd have to take it back to the post office if I didn't take it.

you could have had a free mox diamond dude

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
Decided to go with my gut and not just sit around and wait for USPS to call me and went to my post office instead. Guy at the desk was all "oh hey, I remember receiving your redelivery request, I was the one who processed that... I don't know why it didn't get delivered to you. I kind of expected it to be a larger package". It turns out the person that signed off on the delivery was the manager of the post office, who said "for the life of me I don't understand why this was marked as already delivered and signed off on. Sorry about that."

Ain't the first time they've screwed up for me. There was one time they made me go to the back of their building for a package they had failed to deliver me for a week straight, and one of the delivery guys literally chucked it at me, and another time when they failed to deliver a package to me and it was stuck in limbo at their office and they literally made me pay to pick it up, else they would hold it hostage for some reason.

But either way, my cousin will be happy and not at all ready to strangle someone now, rather than if some schmuck actually signed off on a $300 purchase that was not for them.

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012
just to clarify the entire standard meta is entirely warped around exactly the card yorion and how your yorion matchup plays out and nothing else matters so when you say aw but temur adventures won the last tournament you sound like a complete buffoon because the only reason that adventure won was because of exactly its lukka yorion matchup

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Metas always get warped around something. If yorion lukka wasn't a deck everyone despised it wouldn't look that out of the ordinary.

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012
this is like saying that cawblade wasnt so bad yknow metas get warped around something thats just how it works

metas being warped like this is not good. obviously meta are always to some degree influenced by the other decks in the meta but this type of centralizing is incredibly uncommon and not at all good for the format. literally the only matchup that matters for any deck is its yorion matchup.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
There's no way they'd ban a card in Standard, Pioneer, or Modern before the set that card is in is released in paper. At least right now. If there had been a few more sets where problem cards were found weeks before a set releases in paper, then yeah, but play on Arena is still going strong so I think WotC corporate is happy not messing with things. There's no "people aren't showing up to Standard FNMs at LGSes because of that card" problem to identify right now.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
All Ikoria magic being played on earth is being played digitally either on arena or MTGO which means that wizards really has the clearest picture of absolutely anybody what is going on with standard right now.

Grifter
Jul 24, 2003

I do this technique called a suplex. You probably haven't heard of it, it's pretty obscure.
I would love to see that data. Wizards is never going to release it, but Yorion getting banned is directly connected to a line chart somewhere showing how many people are clicking on Standard in Arena.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

The issue is that if you ban yorion, then Lurrus and Keruga just become the defacto decks you have to play. Then you ban those, and Obosh and cycling with Zirda are the decks. Gyruda will always be a thing on the fringe, but if you ban enough of them then the card advantage just gets too great and you end up with gyruda mirror matches all the time.

The mechanic is the issue; you either have to bin it or errata it to remove the insane card advantage that the mechanic inherently provides.

Paul Zuvella fucked around with this message at 16:44 on May 12, 2020

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009
I queued up the weakest Dimir Self-Mill deck of all time yesterday in an Arena Workshop event to get my black spells quest out of the way rather than queuing up a standard game and risk seeing Yorion or Lurrus and ruining my evening.

I'm probably just gonna quit playing Arena until rotation at this point.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

AngryBooch posted:

I queued up the weakest Dimir Self-Mill deck of all time yesterday in an Arena Workshop event to get my black spells quest out of the way rather than queuing up a standard game and risk seeing Yorion or Lurrus and ruining my evening.

I'm probably just gonna quit playing Arena until rotation at this point.

play draft

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

Jabor posted:

play draft

Not going to spend money on a product I don't enjoy at the moment. I'll go play The Paunch and the Warden in Warhammer 2 for a bit.

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS
I have been destroying Yorion decks playing the Boros cycling deck. It's fun to play and the lower power seems to cause people into underestimating you but as soon as they drop Fires it's their death.

There is a poo poo ton of games where they have 14ish life and drop a fires and I cycle cards for about a turn and if im lucky enough to have a Stinger out I can just Zenith them for 10 and its gg

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Jabor posted:

play draft

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012

80s James Hetfield posted:

I have been destroying Yorion decks playing the Boros cycling deck. It's fun to play and the lower power seems to cause people into underestimating you but as soon as they drop Fires it's their death.

There is a poo poo ton of games where they have 14ish life and drop a fires and I cycle cards for about a turn and if im lucky enough to have a Stinger out I can just Zenith them for 10 and its gg

are you playing bo1s?

Hauki
May 11, 2010

I played like ten games last night and every one was a miserable rear end stalemate of a mirror

At least the draft format’s fun

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Framboise posted:

Decided to go with my gut and not just sit around and wait for USPS to call me and went to my post office instead. Guy at the desk was all "oh hey, I remember receiving your redelivery request, I was the one who processed that... I don't know why it didn't get delivered to you. I kind of expected it to be a larger package". It turns out the person that signed off on the delivery was the manager of the post office, who said "for the life of me I don't understand why this was marked as already delivered and signed off on. Sorry about that."

Ain't the first time they've screwed up for me. There was one time they made me go to the back of their building for a package they had failed to deliver me for a week straight, and one of the delivery guys literally chucked it at me, and another time when they failed to deliver a package to me and it was stuck in limbo at their office and they literally made me pay to pick it up, else they would hold it hostage for some reason.

But either way, my cousin will be happy and not at all ready to strangle someone now, rather than if some schmuck actually signed off on a $300 purchase that was not for them.

If it's at all feasible for you to get to a post office without a lot of hardship, I would recommend getting a PO box. The rental fee is pretty cheap and almost everything you order that will get shipped through USPS as either the primary shipper or as last mile service will either be in your box or available for pickup during business hours. Just take a mask and gloves with you like you're grocery shopping. I started renting a box because I had two incidents where my dog destroyed a package left for me at my door and it nipped that problem in the bud. It's also less likely that the PSE that's delivering packages to PO boxes is going to put it in the wrong box than a carrier loving up an address. If you have to sign for the package, it'll be at the post office. Your stuff will be delivered to your box by the time it says on the sign (mine is 11 am).

Star Man fucked around with this message at 17:30 on May 12, 2020

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Sampatrick posted:

are you playing bo1s?

a guy in top 10 mythics been running the boros cycling deck to climb. a fox in your opening hand seems like an autowin unless its removed.

Grifter
Jul 24, 2003

I do this technique called a suplex. You probably haven't heard of it, it's pretty obscure.

80s James Hetfield posted:

List?

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012
just google it the deck is very well known at this point. the joke was that the deck's bo1 winrate is completely insane whereas its bo3 winrate is much less so.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

I don't have a list, but it's like this: Every card with cycling 1 that can go in a lurrus deck + 4x zenith flare + like 18 lands.

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012

Dr. Stab posted:

I don't have a list, but it's like this: Every card with cycling 1 that can go in a lurrus deck + 4x zenith flare + like 18 lands.

excuse me you also play valiant recruiter or w/e

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

2 Boon of the Wish-Giver (IKO) 43
4 Drannith Healer (IKO) 10
4 Drannith Stinger (IKO) 113
4 Flourishing Fox (IKO) 13
4 Footfall Crater (IKO) 118
4 Frostveil Ambush (IKO) 52
4 Go for Blood (IKO) 122
4 Memory Leak (IKO) 95
5 Mountain (ANA) 64
9 Plains (ANA) 61
4 Sacred Foundry (GRN) 254
4 Startling Development (IKO) 68
4 Valiant Rescuer (IKO) 36
4 Zenith Flare (IKO) 217

3 Apostle of Purifying Light (M20) 6
2 Fight as One (IKO) 12
2 Fry (M20) 140
1 Grafdigger's Cage (M20) 227
1 Lurrus of the Dream Den (IKO) 226
1 Soul-Guide Lantern (THB) 237
3 Scorching Dragonfire (ELD) 139
2 Fire Prophecy (IKO) 116

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Star Man posted:

It's speculators taking advantage of the pandemic. Blightsteel Colossus has been run up to $100 and I can't tell what even for. I don't think that even "lol commander" is enough to explain that.

look buddy, the mtg finance peeps are simply adding pre-existing value to the market. You should be thanking them

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib

Companion
1 Lurrus of the Dream Den (IKO) 226

Deck
4 Drannith Healer (IKO) 10
4 Zenith Flare (IKO) 217
4 Memory Leak (IKO) 95
4 Go for Blood (IKO) 122
4 Startling Development (IKO) 68
4 Boon of the Wish-Giver (IKO) 43
4 Footfall Crater (IKO) 118
4 Valiant Rescuer (IKO) 36
5 Mountain (IKO) 271
4 Flourishing Fox (IKO) 13
7 Plains (IKO) 262
4 Drannith Stinger (IKO) 113
4 Sacred Foundry (GRN) 254
4 Frostveil Ambush (IKO) 52

You can use Lurrus or Zirda. Zirda is nice because it makes Valiant Rescuer only 1 mana to cycle instead of 2, but that is the only difference. I rarely (if ever) actually use Lurrus.

uggy
Aug 6, 2006

Posting is SERIOUS BUSINESS
and I am completely joyless

Don't make me judge you

Kild posted:

a guy in top 10 mythics been running the boros cycling deck to climb. a fox in your opening hand seems like an autowin unless its removed.

Hell ya disfigures time to shine

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012
lurrus has the primary usage of being a good t4 followup to shatter the sky

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Hauki posted:

I played like ten games last night and every one was a miserable rear end stalemate of a mirror

At least the draft format’s fun

Please inject "I want to play the best deck" while also "I don't want to play against the best deck" takes directly into my loving veins.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

The Clowner posted:

look buddy, the mtg finance peeps are simply adding pre-existing value to the market. You should be thanking them

mtgfinance is a cartel