Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Mess with the best, die like the rest

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Aw man :(

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

Spatial posted:

It finished doing the analysis on Friday evening, generating the formatted output is what's taking so long :v:

my guess: a poorly-constructed regex in the xml parser is doing some catastrophic backtracking. it will never finish

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

leet more like late

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

I shall make everyone look like me! Then when they trick each other, they will say "oh that Coyote, he is the smartest one, he can even trick the great Coyote."

Grimey Drawer

Jabor posted:

They do call it "tuition fees".

It gets shortened to "tuition" in general conversation because there's nothing else it could possibly be referring to.

Tuition literally means 'being taught' - where do you think the term 'tuition fees' came from? They're the fees you pay for tuition (being taught). By a tutor.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

MrMoo posted:

Why do you have multiple company JIRA accounts? Still not really a problem with SAML integration.

Like most UX choices though, autocomplete is clearly benefiting the majority of users. If you're an admin, whatever, you can use whatever password tools and browser pr0n mode to bypass storing values.

You're a freelancer aren't you? You've never had access to more than one client's JIRA at the same time?

I guess the 'trivial' fix is to make a new browser profile for each one, but that's probably not something the average user will know to do.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Loezi posted:

It's not unusual in (parts of ) Europe for you to 1) not pay anything to the school and 2) the government giving you money for studying.

We can also add 3) receive education, which explains why we don't think "tuition" is simply something you pay in order to get a receipt that's valuable for employment. That was hilarious.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Munkeymon posted:

You're a freelancer aren't you? You've never had access to more than one client's JIRA at the same time?

I work with slightly inconvenient clients, the one that actually uses JIRA gave me a dedicated laptop to access it. I literally cannot use anything else to access :butt:

quote:

I guess the 'trivial' fix is to make a new browser profile for each one, but that's probably not something the average user will know to do.

If you take a step back, the average user does not have a JIRA account or multiple accounts in anything. It's quite common for business users to have multiple browsers at least, that's usually an easy option for 2-3 accounts.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

the real danger to future salaries isn't too many people getting degrees, it's too many people getting an education. keep supply low!

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

Munkeymon posted:

Slack would be another fine example.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Osmosisch posted:

Tuition literally means 'being taught' - where do you think the term 'tuition fees' came from? They're the fees you pay for tuition (being taught). By a tutor.

In the context of being something that is paid in some direction, it's pretty clear.

dick traceroute
Feb 24, 2010

Open the pod bay doors, Hal.
Grimey Drawer
I could teach you, but I'd have to charge

Olpainless
Jun 30, 2003
... Insert something brilliantly witty here.
I've inherited an old website project.

I've so far had to fix multiple instances of unsalted MD5, error reporting that was public, and more.

I want to die. (Actually, I want the people who did this to die).

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon

Olpainless posted:

I've inherited an old website project.

I've so far had to fix multiple instances of unsalted MD5, error reporting that was public, and more.

I want to die. (Actually, I want the people who did this to die).

Is it from 2003? If so, it might be my bad.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Osmosisch posted:

This makes sense, I guess, but I've literally never heard the term "tuition" referring to anything other than the money you pay to be able to attend classes and receive grades. That of course doesn't include the fees, or the room and board if you want to live on campus, or the books.

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

I shall make everyone look like me! Then when they trick each other, they will say "oh that Coyote, he is the smartest one, he can even trick the great Coyote."

Grimey Drawer

more falafel please posted:

This makes sense, I guess, but I've literally never heard the term "tuition" referring to anything other than the money you pay to be able to attend classes and receive grades. That of course doesn't include the fees, or the room and board if you want to live on campus, or the books.

It's always nice to learn things, isn't it :)

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

What words "literally" mean quite often tells you little about their meaning in actual, common usage.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Thermopyle posted:

What words "literally" mean quite often tells you little about their meaning in actual, common usage.

Mind literally blown

Olpainless
Jun 30, 2003

lifg posted:

Is it from 2003? If so, it might be my bad.

2015 this stuff was checked in in source control.

:getin:

I can't wait to see what horror unfolds

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Olpainless posted:

2015 this stuff was checked in in source control.

:getin:

I can't wait to see what horror unfolds

Checked in for the first time, or migrated from SVN / CVS / Copy of website_code_final (2)?

Also, I remember making goofs like that at my first job, but to be fair that was back in 2005-ish when the idea of comprehensive MD5 rainbow tables was still a new and wild idea.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Osmosisch posted:

Tuition also means "tuition fees". From Oxford Dictionary:

quote:

the money that you pay to be taught, especially in a college or university

• The scholarship pays the tuition fees but students still need to find money for accommodation, meals and books.
  • He won't be able to finish his education unless someone pays his tuition.

In-context, this was the definition that was being used in the discussion

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
In Mandarin, the word for tuition is 学费

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

When cows go to college they pay moo-ition

And don't even ASK me what they pay at ghost school!

Beef
Jul 26, 2004
Julius' last bill was an et-tuition

Olpainless
Jun 30, 2003

Volmarias posted:

Checked in for the first time, or migrated from SVN / CVS / Copy of website_code_final (2)?

Also, I remember making goofs like that at my first job, but to be fair that was back in 2005-ish when the idea of comprehensive MD5 rainbow tables was still a new and wild idea.

As far as I can tell it was written about then as well.

The newest one I found is the (thankfully wasn't finished) session cookie being written that just stored the user ID and if you had that, congrats, you would have logged in!

I need several drinks.

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer

QuarkJets posted:

Tuition also means "tuition fees". From Oxford Dictionary:

In-context, this was the definition that was being used in the discussion

Nobody's denying that, it's just funny that people were acting baffled that the word 'tuition' itself could possibly mean anything else.

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
code:
if( tuition_defined = true )) return true
else return flase;
[/code]

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

I am partially responsable for this derail, and I feel bad.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
While we're at it, we should stop saying "paying rent". We should be saying "paying rental fees" otherwise it's confusing to the people in this thread.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Olpainless posted:

As far as I can tell it was written about then as well.

The newest one I found is the (thankfully wasn't finished) session cookie being written that just stored the user ID and if you had that, congrats, you would have logged in!

I need several drinks.

Just to be clear, are there any load bearing slurs in this codebase?

Olpainless
Jun 30, 2003

Volmarias posted:

Just to be clear, are there any load bearing slurs in this codebase?

I'm tempted to replace the entire codebase with just the word 'gently caress' forever

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe

Osmosisch posted:

Nobody's denying that, it's just funny that people were acting baffled that the word 'tuition' itself could possibly mean anything else.

I was not acting. I had never encountered the word "tuition" as a single word being used to mean tuition fees before, and intuited a different meaning to the phrase "increase tuition" in the post I was responding to, leading me to talk to other posters at cross purposes. Specifically, whereas tuition is the act or practice of teaching someone, I intuited "increase tuition" to mean something like "increase students' contact time and attention from academic staff". Not only is that something else that the phrase "could possibly" mean, I would contend that it's the single most obvious thing it might mean. It turns out that in American English the use of "tuition" to mean "tuition fees" is idiomatic, but I didn't know that at the time and I don't think I can really be blamed for not guessing that this word whose meaning I thought I knew was being used according to an idiom unfamiliar to me!

Someone posted suggesting that not knowing the idiom is akin to not understanding that the word "rent" is commonly used to mean "rental fees"; but that meaning is not specific to a local variety of English so far as I am aware and besides renting something is taken to mean, essentially universally, that you are renting it in exchange for a consideration. Whereas tuition (by which I mean the act of teaching something) is not universally something done for money; a pre-school child may be tutored in reading by a parent for example. So the analogy is a poor one.

This derail is sufficiently long already and I am not going to post about this any more.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
Tuition that goes "in" to the school, or "intuition,"

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Hammerite posted:

I was not acting. I had never encountered the word "tuition" as a single word being used to mean tuition fees before, and intuited a different meaning to the phrase "increase tuition" in the post I was responding to, leading me to talk to other posters at cross purposes. Specifically, whereas tuition is the act or practice of teaching someone, I intuited "increase tuition" to mean something like "increase students' contact time and attention from academic staff". Not only is that something else that the phrase "could possibly" mean, I would contend that it's the single most obvious thing it might mean. It turns out that in American English the use of "tuition" to mean "tuition fees" is idiomatic, but I didn't know that at the time and I don't think I can really be blamed for not guessing that this word whose meaning I thought I knew was being used according to an idiom unfamiliar to me!

Someone posted suggesting that not knowing the idiom is akin to not understanding that the word "rent" is commonly used to mean "rental fees"; but that meaning is not specific to a local variety of English so far as I am aware and besides renting something is taken to mean, essentially universally, that you are renting it in exchange for a consideration. Whereas tuition (by which I mean the act of teaching something) is not universally something done for money; a pre-school child may be tutored in reading by a parent for example. So the analogy is a poor one.

This derail is sufficiently long already and I am not going to post about this any more.

You fuckers have "to let" signs when you're advertising apartments for rent, you're in no position to make fun of American usage.

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

A mathematician, like a painter or poet, is a maker of patterns. If his patterns are more permanent than theirs, it is because they are made with ideas.

Absurd Alhazred posted:

You fuckers have "to let" signs when you're advertising apartments for rent, you're in no position to make fun of American usage.

how dare this person make fun of america by, uh, speaking a different dialect of english

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

Hammerite posted:

I didn't mean to aim that at you for not knowing a colloquial meaning of tuition, I should have quoted this post:

Osmosisch posted:

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

I would look up into your lifeless eyes and wave, like this. Can you and your associates arrange that for me, Mr. Morden?
Edit, sorry. Posted a coding horror in the lexical pissing match thread by mistake.

DoctorTristan fucked around with this message at 19:58 on May 13, 2020

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Jeb Bush 2012 posted:

how dare this person make fun of america by, uh, speaking a different dialect of english

Exactly! You get it!

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

British Fact: They decided to add a y to the word 'tire' in the 1900s because they though it looked cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA
Argh, if you're going to take the time to pull out a chunk of code that's shared between two packages into a separate, common one, take another day to fully convert the originating packages to use the shared one or else things will just diverge again and require reconciling all three variants six months later when the work is taken back up. :bahgawd:

I swear I've seen a comic that touched on this, but I can't find it for the life of me.