Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Hadlock posted:

So I've been in a handful of 4v4 games

Seems like you can boost off of three people, I never looked at my speedometer but I'm guessing that would net 12m/s ? So in a 4v4 game there are what potentially 7 people you could boost off of for 28m/s speed?

If that's true then yeah makes sense to go backwards to jump straight to 8m/s, you should easily be able to catch up with someone else at that speed to get to 12m/s

Will give that a shot

Yeah, and you can go even further than that. If you throw off in the right spot and go through your teammate, then they can re-grab on to you, then throw off you, and you grab them, etc, and you end up going faster than the speed of light and it's awesome

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qSqAAhRFh-Y

You can see here I got up to 30 m/s :pcgaming:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Hadlock posted:

So I went

So I've been in a handful of 4v4 games

Seems like you can boost off of three people, I never looked at my speedometer but I'm guessing that would net 12m/s ? So in a 4v4 game there are what potentially 7 people you could boost off of for 28m/s speed?

If that's true then yeah makes sense to go backwards to jump straight to 8m/s, you should easily be able to catch up with someone else at that speed to get to 12m/s

Will give that a shot

There's also regrabbing, in which you and a coordinated teammate chain boost other (so you grab and boost off your teammate, your teammate grabs you as you go by and boosts off you, then you grab them as they pass you and boost, etc.) which lets you travel ridiculously fast together. Not something you'll see in newbie games, but I'd see it when I got paired with level 50 folks.

I miss Echo. Stupid lovely Index controllers.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Shine posted:

There's also regrabbing, in which you and a coordinated teammate chain boost other (so you grab and boost off your teammate, your teammate grabs you as you go by and boosts off you, then you grab them as they pass you and boost, etc.) which lets you travel ridiculously fast together. Not something you'll see in newbie games, but I'd see it when I got paired with level 50 folks.

Get a Quest do it do it do it

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

I finally set up my Quest to sideload stuff and a) I'm looking forward to Cubism getting a full release because that demo was really cool and b) Quake 2 VR is hella fun.

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

Ha Ha Ha... YES!
i just paid $120 for a new-open box Lenovo Explorer headset hello VR world, I have arrived :allears:

Fingerless Gloves
May 21, 2011

... aaand also go away and don't come back

njsykora posted:

I finally set up my Quest to sideload stuff and a) I'm looking forward to Cubism getting a full release because that demo was really cool and b) Quake 2 VR is hella fun.

Same, I set it up to get the virtual desktop but it appears my wifi sucks and it isnt a major improvement than link

But it is surprisingly satisfying to watch youtubes in an abandoned cinema so I am keeping it

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

Lemming posted:

Get a Quest do it do it do it

I'll probably cave eventually :D

charity rereg posted:

i just paid $120 for a new-open box Lenovo Explorer headset hello VR world, I have arrived :allears:

That's how I got my start. It's a solid introductory headset and easily worth a hundredish bucks.

moolchaba
Jul 21, 2007
Do you need a facebook account to do the Echo beta on Quest?

I want to get severe motion sickness to help me lose weight.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

moolchaba posted:

Do you need a facebook account to do the Echo beta on Quest?

I want to get severe motion sickness to help me lose weight.

No, not to do public matchmaking or go into the lobby, but to use the friends stuff yeah

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

Ha Ha Ha... YES!

Shine posted:

I'll probably cave eventually :D

That's how I got my start. It's a solid introductory headset and easily worth a hundredish bucks.

this is super cool, i think im at a disadvantage because i have a very strong glasses prescription? i seem to have a fairly narrow focal point before things get a little blurry, but it's nothing too bad. i havent done anything except watch roller coaster videos but i'm figuring out some more stuff I can do.

bus hustler fucked around with this message at 05:02 on May 12, 2020

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Shine posted:

I don't play as much Echo Arena as I used to, but honestly my throwing has gotten better with Index Controllers.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

https://www.humblebundle.com/store/elite-dangerous - 76% off. Very cheap. The expansion also has that discount.

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

The pirate code is really more of a guideline, than actual rules.

I want Tetris Effect on Oculus Quest, goddamnit. Starting to get bored with the few apps I have, and everything is so expensive in VR. :(

charity rereg posted:

this is super cool, i think im at a disadvantage because i have a very strong glasses prescription? i seem to have a fairly narrow focal point before things get a little blurry, but it's nothing too bad. i havent done anything except watch roller coaster videos but i'm figuring out some more stuff I can do.

Same. My left eye constantly sees slightly blurry, and I don't think there's a way I can fix that apart from buying expensive lenses to replace in the Quest.

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug
Spaceteam! for VR! seems fine. Curious how it'll work with some people bring on devices and some people in VR.

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

Ha Ha Ha... YES!
I punched the wall because I forgot I moved my desk recently to be in a corner and I was doing the steam VR virtual puppy video. :D Steam VR is a much nicer "lounge" or "dashboard" than the MS Cliff house, and it took like 3 seconds to watch a cool 3D video instead of loving around with plugins that barely work in Edge.

I may play with the pupil distance setting in windows, but when I get mine measured professionally I get 2 different values and have to get my glasses made that way. But these are actually LARGE frames with a huge prescription so I may try a spare pair or order a cheap $20 china pair.

I am having some issues with audio routing but it's probably my setup. I was in discord when i plugged in the headset but when it switched to "mixed reality" they could still hear me but i couldn't hear them. Probably just messing around in windows since I normally pump sound over displayport to my monitor.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

charity rereg posted:

I may play with the pupil distance setting in windows, but when I get mine measured professionally I get 2 different values and have to get my glasses made that way.

If both values are under 4cm then they're the distances for each eye. You can add them together to get the right number for VR; you might have to seat the headset a little to the left or right on your head if they're very different.

If both values are over 4cm then they're your near and far IPDs. The standard recommendation is to use the far IPD, which will be the larger of the two numbers.

But in practice yes, playing around with it until things look good is usually your best option.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Merijn posted:

I want Tetris Effect on Oculus Quest, goddamnit.

I don't know if you saw it, but it was put on their store and promptly removed. Possibly it will be announced and released next month.

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

Ha Ha Ha... YES!

NRVNQSR posted:

If both values are under 4cm then they're the distances for each eye. You can add them together to get the right number for VR; you might have to seat the headset a little to the left or right on your head if they're very different.

If both values are over 4cm then they're your near and far IPDs. The standard recommendation is to use the far IPD, which will be the larger of the two numbers.

But in practice yes, playing around with it until things look good is usually your best option.

I wouldn't say the Lenovo Explorer excels at comfort/positioning to begin with, I can definitely see how this is somewhat "entry level" but none of it is really bothering me so far, this is quite cool. I never would have jumped in blindly at $300+ (I don't even know what other sets are good? I never researched the high end) so this is perfect. You can't really put the genie back in the bottle, and when I eventually upgrade I'll get someone else hooked and pass this on.

Mostly I have a Good Gaming Rig already so it was a no brainer, the biggest entry costs have already been paid and I knew it would work well. And if I hated it these headsets are selling for $200+ on ebay right now thanks to Alyx. I bought it from an older dude who seemed like he won it as swag or something at a conference, he didn't know what it was, he listed it ONLY as "Lenovo Explorer Mixed Reality Headset" and the word steam/alyx/VR was nowhere in the ad. It said used but it was new open-box, I had to peel off all of the protective stickers on the headset.

bus hustler fucked around with this message at 14:37 on May 12, 2020

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

charity rereg posted:

I wouldn't say the Lenovo Explorer excels at comfort/positioning to begin with, I can definitely see how this is somewhat "entry level" but none of it is really bothering me so far, this is quite cool. I never would have jumped in blindly at $300+ (I don't even know what other sets are good? I never researched the high end) so this is perfect. You can't really put the genie back in the bottle, and when I eventually upgrade I'll get someone else hooked and pass this on.

Mostly I have a Good Gaming Rig already so it was a no brainer, the biggest entry costs have already been paid and I knew it would work well. And if I hated it these headsets are selling for $200+ on ebay right now thanks to Alyx. I bought it from an older dude who seemed like he won it as swag or something at a conference, he didn't know what it was, he listed it ONLY as "Lenovo Explorer Mixed Reality Headset" and the word steam/alyx/VR was nowhere in the ad. It said used but it was new open-box, I had to peel off all of the protective stickers on the headset.

Lenovo Explorer is a ridiculously good headset for sims especially, it can go toe to toe with anything in that regard and $120 is a superb price to get into VR with.
There is a decent amount of people in sim racing who seek out these headsets, it's a great purchase

iron buns
Jan 12, 2016

I've been playing Virtual Battlegrounds for the past two days. It's janky as hell, but pretty fun overall. The general look and feel is fairly close to Onward, with some arcadey things added on top (climbing, swimming, ziplines, gaining health by eating apples, etc). Not bad if you're itching for some battle royale in VR.

RatEarth
Aug 7, 2017

I didn't say that.
but it'd be funny if I did
I'm getting an Oculus Rift S in soon and I was wondering how From Other Suns stacks up to Pulsar: Lost Colony. They seem to fill a similar-ish niche but I was leaning more towards Pulsar since it's cheaper and supports non-VR play so I can get friends on board with it.

Chimp_On_Stilts
Aug 31, 2004
Holy Hell.
How's the population for Echo Combat? What are wait times for matches like?

jubjub64
Feb 17, 2011

iron buns posted:

I've been playing Virtual Battlegrounds for the past two days. It's janky as hell, but pretty fun overall. The general look and feel is fairly close to Onward, with some arcadey things added on top (climbing, swimming, ziplines, gaining health by eating apples, etc). Not bad if you're itching for some battle royale in VR.

I have been playing a little too. I like it, I just wish there were more people playing. I'm thinking of trying Pavlov's Battle Royale mode just so I have more people to play with.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

ScolopaxMinor posted:

I'm getting an Oculus Rift S in soon and I was wondering how From Other Suns stacks up to Pulsar: Lost Colony. They seem to fill a similar-ish niche but I was leaning more towards Pulsar since it's cheaper and supports non-VR play so I can get friends on board with it.

Pulsar is.... very... very janky. but its a more open world game that, yeah supports non-VR. From Other Suns though is really polished, far better controls, especially in VR, but its a more contained experience. Essentially FOS is a direct (and I mean direct, down to the last detail) clone of FTL, but in first person with multiplayer, though you can play it fine single player like FTL.

Honestly they don't' really fit the same niche exactly. From having played both though, I find FOS a lot more fun because its just a more solid experience in VR, and I like the roguelike gameplay loop, BUT this is also with friends to play it with in VR. If your choice is between pulsar with friends, and FOS by yourself, then thats a different calculation.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Chimp_On_Stilts posted:

How's the population for Echo Combat? What are wait times for matches like?

Not as good as Arena. You can still get games at prime time, which is like 6-10 PM PST or so, and there's still a good amount of people doing private matches and stuff, but you'll definitely struggle to find games in off times. I couldn't tell you for sure but it's probably in the realm of 5-10 minutes or so waiting for a match, those numbers might be out of date from when I was playing a bunch tho

If you ask in the discord you could probably get some better info https://discord.com/invite/4gekxBs

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

Ha Ha Ha... YES!
Dumb newbie question, how do you move in a game like Virtual Battlegrounds? Surely it's too fast paced to use the teleporting thing I've been mucking around with in SteamVR/WindowsMR?

marumaru
May 20, 2013

charity rereg posted:

Dumb newbie question, how do you move in a game like Virtual Battlegrounds? Surely it's too fast paced to use the teleporting thing I've been mucking around with in SteamVR/WindowsMR?

analog stick + sprinting mechanics

Wheezle
Aug 13, 2007

420 stop boats erryday

charity rereg posted:

Smooth locomotion like a non-VR game. Probably don't try this until you're far more used to VR.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Wheezle posted:

Probably don't try this until you're far more used to VR.

Disagree.

Try it, But stop the instant you start to feel funny. Not sick, Just funny.

Gotta build those VR legs somehow.

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

"VR legs" do come. I just tried out QuakeVR via Sidequest, turned on smooth turning (cranked it up to 8 out of 10 speed) and had no issues at all! I hadn't even done any VR in quite a few weeks, and it really does just take time to develop.

Admittedly, I play it seated, which I think probably helps (not sure), but I did the whole first episode without stopping and had no discomfort. That's leagues away from the first time I played Skyrim VR on a PS4 and tried smooth turning. Holy crap, I almost fell over from nausea in seconds.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Smooth movement and turning sets me off massively, I can maybe do 5 minutes of that kind of movement before I start feeling it. I need to either have the vignette effect on movement or have step turning (which I use in QuakeVR and have no issues with). I also found the Virtual Boy emulator on Sidequest and that's been a lot of my day, turns out Virtual Pinball is actually a really fun pinball game.

Goodguy3
Aug 11, 2016

"What?! I'm not tangled up like this for fun, you know!"
I can't believe I haven't broken anything playing this yet.

My VR legs also developed somewhat quickly for smooth locomotion, but the instant I get into a situation where something is moving me, like a vehicle or an elevator, that really screws me up. I tried to play Thief Sim VR and it worked fine...until I got in the car and had to drive it. :negative:

Goodguy3 fucked around with this message at 01:21 on May 13, 2020

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

Deathlove posted:

Spaceteam! for VR! seems fine. Curious how it'll work with some people bring on devices and some people in VR.

It's an excellent app and great tabletop game. It'll be neat to play in VR.

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

If QuakeVR isn’t a true test of it, what is? Ultrawings used to get me, I have no issues now turning off all the comfort screens.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

I felt a little queasy after playing Echo Arena for the first time in months, but my next session was totally fine.

Smooth locomotion still kinda gets to me but I don't play enough of anything that would get me used to it.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

I nope'd out of Half-Life Alyx when I had to cut the power in a cellar to kill a force field, and immediately saw a bunch of poison headcrabs crawl out and infest the building. Those fuckers terrified me back in 2004 on a monitor and they can gently caress OFF in VR, loving hell nope nope, but I really should suck it up and try to finish it, because it's hella fun. Still, fuuuuuck I am not looking forward to this.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

Seriously, I stood in the power room with the door locked and threw crates against it, spent like 5 minutes repeatedly checking my ammo and peering out the barred window, and then said "I can't do this today." and took off my headset. Ughhhhh.

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

Shine posted:

Seriously, I stood in the power room with the door locked and throw crates against it, spent like 5 minutes repeatedly checking my ammo and peering out the barred window, and then said "I can't do this today." and took off my headset. Ughhhhh.

When I got to that point I felt similarly, my solution was to abuse the hell out of the teleportation all the way out. For most of the game I only used it to go back over areas I'd already been through, but I just spammed the hell out of it here. It was still pretty scary but I got through mostly unscathed without actually fighting any of them.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~

Shine posted:

I nope'd out of Half-Life Alyx when I had to cut the power in a cellar to kill a force field, and immediately saw a bunch of poison headcrabs crawl out and infest the building. Those fuckers terrified me back in 2004 on a monitor and they can gently caress OFF in VR, loving hell nope nope, but I really should suck it up and try to finish it, because it's hella fun. Still, fuuuuuck I am not looking forward to this.
God I wasted so much ammo on that part. It took me a bit to realise that I didn't have to shoot the set dressing crabs, and even worse I shot out all the barnacles in the big 3-floor room that you have to traverse multiple times. Would have been a lot easier if I just let them alone so they could eat some of the billion crabs that just came pouring in over and over again.

also steel yourself for loving JEFF. The part where you have to revisit the fridge is just extraordinarily evil, curse those clever fuckers at valve for the slow realization of what I needed to do at that part.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

Goodguy3 posted:

I can't believe I haven't broken anything playing this yet.

My VR legs also developed somewhat quickly for smooth locomotion, but the instant I get into a situation where something is moving me, like a vehicle or an elevator, that really screws me up. I tried to play Thief Sim VR and it worked fine...until I got in the car and had to drive it. :negative:

I have *iron* VR legs and I consider the Thief Sim VR cars rough.
GTAV VR FPV cars? FPV Motorcycles? Piece of cake.
The ultimate challenge for me is still first person GTAV VR jet skis. I can go about 20 minutes before I have to switch to 3PV and it takes me a while to recover.