Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo
:ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Ocean Book posted:

My quarantine project was to learn web page data scraping. Also, I think it's interesting how general burn out with covid as a topic is effecting the response to it. I know GBS isn't generally of the opinion "I'm bored so let's open up", but interest in it as a topic of discussion is flagging (for myself included).

So to put all that together I made a program to count the number of posts in this thread by date and display a 3-day average of the count! I found the result mildly interesting so here it is for you guys too.

From a statistics standpoint, you would probably want to compare this to overall posts within the subforum, and compared to similar threads in other subforums, to clearly demonstrate a meaningful trend. We could also be seeing a decrease in posting rate forums-wide.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Bonaventure posted:

I’m sorry are there seriously multiple people on this page going to bat for the CCP

calm down mr president

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

Bonaventure posted:

I’m sorry are there seriously multiple people on this page going to bat for the CCP

I'm not going to bat for them and I'll even be critical but I also know that after this COVID crisis China is going to be the global hegemon and the USA will be #2 and this is mostly because of Trump / GOP abdication of leadership on the world stage.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Another Bill posted:

I'm not going to bat for them and I'll even be critical but I also know that after this COVID crisis China is going to be the global hegemon and the USA will be #2 and this is mostly because of Trump / GOP abdication of leadership on the world stage.

the thing about china is, it lies about everything constantly

but a lot of the lying is out of habit and they're actually doing stuff still, somehow, bc hey modern industry is so insanely productive you can have basically endless waste and corruption and still get the job done

but like in the US we just chant WE'RE NUMBER ONE and dont even try to do anything except scams and racism

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

shovelbum posted:

but like in the US we just chant WE'RE NUMBER ONE and dont even try to do anything except scams and racism

Scams and racism are actually two areas where China actually outperforms the US, and the US ain't no slouch in those categories.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Chomp8645 posted:

Scams and racism are actually two areas where China actually outperforms the US, and the US ain't no slouch in those categories.

yeah thats the thing they can do all that and actually have a functioning country and economy, its a modern miracle lmao

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo

ruddiger posted:

calm down mr president

pointing to my mug that reads “don’t talk to me until I’ve had my covfefe“

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Cacafuego posted:

Private loan? My federal student loans all went to 0% interest until September.

Ohhh yeah it’s private.

Nicodemus Dumps
Jan 9, 2006

Just chillin' in the sink

Has anybody said fatten the curve yet

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

I don't think people want to defend the CCP. They're just well aware of what 9/11 did to this country and the wave of nationalism that followed.

Trump is going to get away with killing droves of Americans because this came from a communist country.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

shovelbum posted:

the thing about china is, it lies about everything constantly

but a lot of the lying is out of habit and they're actually doing stuff still, somehow, bc hey modern industry is so insanely productive you can have basically endless waste and corruption and still get the job done

I keep waiting for the point of this post but it's not coming

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
China and the US a hell of a lot more similar than either of us would like to admit

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
https://twitter.com/ASlavitt/status/1260226326109147138

Like, no kidding, but at least someone at the top has finally said it out loud

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Elderbean posted:

Trump is going to get away with killing droves of Americans because this came from a communist country.

I thought it came from China???

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Chomp8645 posted:

You joke, but the other day my mother literally went on a rant about "those communist countries" and also included Russia for some reason.

The cold war dies really hard in the olds.

naem
May 29, 2011

The Glumslinger posted:

China and the US a hell of a lot more similar than either of us would like to admit

https://i.imgur.com/QGHIxGS.gifv

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

Chomp8645 posted:

Its 100 percent communist to his base and most "centrists"

I've seen so many right-wing FB memes through my family that amount to "This CHINA COMMIE virus won't stop the USA! Our economy will PREVAIL!"

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
I guess Dr Fauci got sick of putting up with Trump's poo poo and just wants to get fired so he can finally get some goddamned peace
https://twitter.com/Yamiche/status/1260243422507606016

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Lmao @ all the whataboutism in this thread. Clean up your mess before you start complaining :smugbert:

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

I guess Dr Fauci got sick of putting up with Trump's poo poo and just wants to get fired so he can finally get some goddamned peace
https://twitter.com/Yamiche/status/1260243422507606016

The summary I read said he also straight up said opening early risks huge amounts of avoidable deaths.

Then Rand Paul got triggered and started Rand Pauling hard and Fauci had to explain what an advisor is.

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

Hazo posted:

The summary I read said he also straight up said opening early risks huge amounts of avoidable deaths.

Then Rand Paul got triggered and started Rand Pauling hard and Fauci had to explain what an advisor is.

Rand Paul's brain is 80% ingrown hair.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Bonaventure posted:

If this experience has taught us anything, it's to stay away from bats in the PRC

cnut
May 3, 2016

lmao

lovely tuna snatch
Feb 10, 2010

Interestingly little discussion in this thread on Russia. #3 in cases globally, death rate per capita 40x lower than the other big countries.

They also just burned down a corona hospital, I wonder what documents they needed to get rid of.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Elderbean posted:

Its 100 percent communist to his base and most "centrists"

I've seen so many right-wing FB memes through my family that amount to "This CHINA COMMIE virus won't stop the USA! Our economy will PREVAIL!"

Which I always find hilarious because in practice it's the authoritarian capitalist, low regulation dreamland his base would probably love if it wasn't for, you know, racism.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

lovely tuna snatch posted:

Interestingly little discussion in this thread on Russia. #3 in cases globally, death rate per capita 40x lower than the other big countries.

They also just burned down a corona hospital, I wonder what documents they needed to get rid of.

It’s like China: There’s no point in discussing their infection stats when there’s no reason to believe them.

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

Which I always find hilarious because in practice it's the authoritarian capitalist, low regulation dreamland his base would probably love if it wasn't for, you know, racism.

It’s at least partly an old Rush Limbaugh/right wing talk radio disinformation thing. One of his favorite little slurs is constantly calling them “chi-coms” to help spur racism and ignorance.

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

russia just had their spring holidays last week

which means tons of people were travelling

so get ready

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

I just left Menards (like Lowes, home depot) and they have a sign "requiring" masks and if you don't have one, they are $1 just inside the door. Of course they can't enforce it, but it was a nice contrast to whats going on at local grocery stores and Walmart where the only people following distancing and wearing masks are the employees.

Of course there were a few boomers/libertarians/trumpers not wearing them at Menards but it was like 90% with masks.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

GolfHole posted:

russia just had their spring holidays last week

which means tons of people were travelling

so get ready

At least to Finland they didn't, thank god. Our government is getting into the "we need to reopen now"-cult, but at least the 50+ events and leisure travel is still forbidden, although the land border between Sweden and Finland is leaking because of other reasons.

Even if our government seems to be doing very effective and well-thought actions to contain the virus, the next thing they will do is a massive blunder or absolutely dim-witted move. Like reopening the elementary and secondary schools for four weeks, after successfully being in "fully online and home schooled" mode for almost two months.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

Hazo posted:

We were watching that here at work when Randy got all fired up. My director, known for her kindness and gentle manner, said "Oh gently caress you." :stare:

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Sir Not Appearing posted:

I just left Menards (like Lowes, home depot) and they have a sign "requiring" masks and if you don't have one, they are $1 just inside the door. Of course they can't enforce it, but it was a nice contrast to whats going on at local grocery stores and Walmart where the only people following distancing and wearing masks are the employees.

Of course there were a few boomers/libertarians/trumpers not wearing them at Menards but it was like 90% with masks.

Why can't they enforce it?

Also: menard's sucks. My cheap loving parents bought me a Menard's branded bike when I was a kid and I was mocked for it. I pried the emblem off the front with a screwdriver.

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ

bird with big dick posted:

Also: menard's sucks. My cheap loving parents bought me a Menard's branded bike when I was a kid and I was mocked for it. I pried the emblem off the front with a screwdriver.

Was it a menard's screwdriver?

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Took the kids to see the flyover today. I feel very supportive of my government right now, not wasting those dollars that were already allocated for sporting event flyovers!

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Don't go to Menards. The founder is a sex pest, hard right wing, anti-union piece of poo poo. Menard's is the walmart of home improvement.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Don't go to Menards. The founder is a sex pest, hard right wing, anti-union piece of poo poo. Menard's is the walmart of home improvement.

this is true of home depot as well, not sure about Lowes but probably

Your local Ace store is probably at least locally owned

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

a mysterious cloak posted:

We were watching that here at work when Randy got all fired up. My director, known for her kindness and gentle manner, said "Oh gently caress you." :stare:

rand paul came through being trash as he does

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

employees don't want to get shot

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Don't go to Menards. The founder is a sex pest, hard right wing, anti-union piece of poo poo.

Yes I understand he's a business owner.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Because they don't want to lose customers and get a facebook crusade started against them.

Inept posted:

employees don't want to get shot

Also this.

I don't understand why people in the US get so mad when private business mandate something if you want to go in their store. Isn't their whole schtick, "Rights and Freedoms"? Or is it only their rights?