Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
What's the secret to Good Briyani? is it some kind of weird oven which has been built into the side of a holy mountain ten thousand years ago? do i gotta fetch water from a Step Well or something. help me out here. i've got the excessively long grained rices. i've got Spice Blends from indian supermarkets. help.

(there's a restaurant near me run by Syrian and Bangaladeshi families, if that changes the content of the spice blends or technique or something. that's the standard metric i'm comparing myself by.)

(i know comparing myself to a restaurant is Bad because the secret is just fat, salt, and an industrial oven, but.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

The Briyani joint near my house puts a ton of fresh curry leaves in theirs.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

What's the secret to Good Briyani? is it some kind of weird oven which has been built into the side of a holy mountain ten thousand years ago? do i gotta fetch water from a Step Well or something. help me out here. i've got the excessively long grained rices. i've got Spice Blends from indian supermarkets. help.

(there's a restaurant near me run by Syrian and Bangaladeshi families, if that changes the content of the spice blends or technique or something. that's the standard metric i'm comparing myself by.)

(i know comparing myself to a restaurant is Bad because the secret is just fat, salt, and an industrial oven, but.)

What’s falling short with your biryani? Texture, flavor? In what way does it need to improve?

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.
Buying whole spices and toasting and grinding them yourself will be a dramatic improvement over any pre-made spice blends you'd find on a grocery store shelf.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood

Human Tornada posted:

Buying whole spices and toasting and grinding them yourself will be a dramatic improvement over any pre-made spice blends you'd find on a grocery store shelf.

i understand that's probably the answer, and that the quality of food is almost directly proportional to the effort in preparation, but that sounds Challenging and the only spice grinders i have are for, uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, not spices.

like ideally i will get to the level of a harried career mom from Goa, who cares about feeding her family healthful traditional meals but just Doesn't Have The Time.

Doom Rooster posted:

What’s falling short with your biryani? Texture, flavor? In what way does it need to improve?

i wash and wash the rice but it usually congeals more than the stuff in the restaurant. that's very fryable and the grains are individuated whereas my stuff gets clumpy like sushi rice. i think i'm just either washing not enough, or soaking too long, or overcooking, crowding the pot maybe. I usually only make one and a half cups of rice at a time.

Squashy Nipples posted:

The Briyani joint near my house puts a ton of fresh curry leaves in theirs.

oooooo that's a great call. the place i love manages to blacken their onions without burning them and, good lord fellas. teach me these ways.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
What are various sauces you can make by mixing mayonnaise or mayonnaise + acid with (something)? Basically lazy pantry/refrigerator sauces that require nothing other than throwing some mixtures together.

I'm compiling a list for a family member who is otherwise incapable of saucing anything

Thus far:

Mayonnaise + Sriracha
Mayonnaise + Black garlic
Mayonnaise + Hoisin sauce
Mayonnaise + Miso paste

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

i understand that's probably the answer, and that the quality of food is almost directly proportional to the effort in preparation, but that sounds Challenging and the only spice grinders i have are for, uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, not spices.

like ideally i will get to the level of a harried career mom from Goa, who cares about feeding her family healthful traditional meals but just Doesn't Have The Time.

i wash and wash the rice but it usually congeals more than the stuff in the restaurant. that's very fryable and the grains are individuated whereas my stuff gets clumpy like sushi rice. i think i'm just either washing not enough, or soaking too long, or overcooking, crowding the pot maybe. I usually only make one and a half cups of rice at a time.

oooooo that's a great call. the place i love manages to blacken their onions without burning them and, good lord fellas. teach me these ways.

I'm not well versed in the ways of Biryani but I make a shitload of jambalaya and here's what I've found for good individual non-mushy grains. 1. Don't wash the rice. 2. Let most of your cooking veggies release their water and reduce it away or remove the veggies briefly and reduce the remaining water to minimal. 3. If there is not suitable oil in the pan add it and let it get hot, then toss your rice in and stir to evenly coat the dry grains with some oil and let a fair amount toast on the bottom of the pan. 4. Add just under a 1:1 ratio of rice to water (1.5 cups rice + 1 1/4 cup water plus your veggies, meat etc).

For jambalaya at least that will end up with decently separate non-mushy grains with like jasmine or other long grain rice. May not work here but I found putting dry rice and letting it get oiled and toasted was like 90% of the problem.

poeticoddity
Jan 14, 2007
"How nice - to feel nothing and still get full credit for being alive." - Kurt Vonnegut Jr. - Slaughterhouse Five

PRADA SLUT posted:

What are various sauces you can make by mixing mayonnaise or mayonnaise + acid with (something)? Basically lazy pantry/refrigerator sauces that require nothing other than throwing some mixtures together.

I'm compiling a list for a family member who is otherwise incapable of saucing anything

Thus far:

Mayonnaise + Sriracha
Mayonnaise + Miso paste

Most purpose-made sauces for burgers are mayo and some combination of ketchup, mustard, and pickle relish.

I'm a fan of horseradish mayo. I haven't tried it, but I imagine the wasabi paste I have in a tube in the fridge would be good cut with mayo.

If you're willing to let it sit in the fridge for a bit, the fat in mayo should pick up the flavor of most ground, dried spices like paprika or black pepper or curry powder.

Resting Lich Face
Feb 21, 2019

This case of an intraperitoneal zucchini is unusual, and does raise questions as to how hard one has to push a blunt vegetable to perforate the rectum.
Mayo + gochujang is a real winner.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Pretty sure you can throw together mayonnaise with just about anything and it'll yield a servicable sauce. Black garlic's a good one. Curry powder. Harissa. Lemon & cilantro. Honey mustard. Smoked paprika. Chipotle chili. Any other sauce. Any herb or spice like seriously I can't think of one combo I wouldn't at least mix a teaspoon of to try. Chopped pickles. Chopped lime pickle. Chopped dried tomatoes & basil.

Sweet things probably don't really work.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Ranch powder and buttermilk

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

First off, biryani is baked rather than fried? Though frying off raw rice before doing other stuff is a technique that is used.

General rice thoughts - if you're rinsing the rice (and using cold water to do so), I'd say this sounds like you need to use less water. Water up to your first thumb joint above the rice seems like a meaningless thing but it's how I was taught and always works for me, much more consistently than 1.5:1 water:rice. Start with cold water get it to a good simmer/low boil, stir the rice, turn the flame down to the lowest setting and put the lid on.

These articles are always a decent read when you want the best of a bunch of recipes and techniques.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

I am not a rice scientist, and don't cook a tooonnnnn of rice at home, but it sounds like you are using too much liquid, and washing your rice too much. The rice at the top where it's driest should just barely be done, otherwise you're going to have mush on the bottom. Try just giving the rice one quick rinse, and drop your water by 10%, then see how that turns out.

If you want better spice flavor but want to be lazy, still use the spice mix from the store, but ALSO toss some whole spices right on the top before cooking. They'll perfume the rice really nicely, and you can just pick them off the top before stirring.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood

Bollock Monkey posted:

First off, biryani is baked rather than fried? Though frying off raw rice before doing other stuff is a technique that is used.

thank you all for the advice so far, I'm just hopping in to say i mistyped and should have said "friable," as in can easily separate into individual grains.

ok, derail over

Peeches
May 25, 2018

PRADA SLUT posted:

Thus far:

Mayonnaise + Sriracha
Mayonnaise + Miso paste

I love this! I can't eat dairy, so mayo is all I have.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

PRADA SLUT posted:

Thus far:

Mayonnaise + Sriracha
Mayonnaise + Miso paste

Fake shake shack sauce is mayo (1/2 cup), mustard and ketchup (1 tbsp each), garlic powder (1/4 tsp), paprika (1/4 tsp), and a pinch of cayenne. If they have a food processor they can toss in some dill pickles but it doesn't sound like that level of sauce sorcery is in their wheelhouse.

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

Who dey think gonna beat dem Bengos!
I started an herb garden this year and it has flourished. However, I am not using certain herbs up fast enough, they're starting to take over, and I am running out of ideas how to use them without wasting them.

L to R
Chives, Rosemary, Flat Parsley, Sage, more Rosemary

L to R
Scallions, Oregano, rest is spinach and spaghetti squash

(Golf clubs were for holding a sheet above the plants in winter)

I have no trouble using the Rosemary, and keep them pruned pretty close as it is. I also use the scallions up in bunches. The others, I'm running out of ideas.

Oregano: seems better dried than fresh. Unsure of use outside of tomato sauce.
Chives: I can only make so many omelettes and baked potatoes the rest is going to waste and taking up a lot of room
Sage: not what i was expecting when I planted it(pork sausage sage flavor)
Parsley: I use in some herb crusts and as a garnish, otherwise I have no idea.

Basically, I'm looking for some ideas to more effectively use the bounty of my back patio.

Farking Bastage fucked around with this message at 20:43 on May 12, 2020

FAT BATMAN
Dec 12, 2009

One of the best dishes I’ve ever had was “Castellan Sopa de Ajo” (Spanish Garlic Soup) at a fancy tapas restaurant.
However, every attempt I’ve made at it leads to a soup full of really inflated+soggy bread cubes, whereas the soup in my memory was contained crouton-like bread bits that were hard, crunchy and not soggy at all.
Is there a way to get that effect? Do I just add hard bread bits right before serving?

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

apparently home-dried herbs keep their punch a lot better and longer than dried herbs from the store, so you can preserve them for later that way

fry sage leaves in butter

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

Farking Bastage posted:

I picked up using parsley more like a salad vegetable than a herb from Turkey, at the place I lived you could grab handfuls of it to eat with your breakfast platters but it works with anything vaguely Mediterranean. I use it in salads with spinach or rocket, drizzle a little olive oil on it with tomatoes, serve with with omelettes, chop it into risotto, have it in breakfast wraps etc

Its also an excellent natural breath/palate cleanser, their preferred serving of fried liver and freshly chopped white onion comes with a huge pile of parsley for exactly this reason

Also make casserole stews with dumplings and load your dumplings up with basically any combination of your herbs

Butterfly Valley fucked around with this message at 21:11 on May 12, 2020

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Farking Bastage posted:

Take roughly equal parts flat leaf parsley and garlic and mince them together and you have a basic persillade.

One of my go-to meat and three sides is pommes persillade, which is chopped potatoes pan fried in fat and then finished with persillade: chop potatoes into around 1 cm/half inch cubes, put in bowl, toss with some salt, cover, leave to sit for 15, 20 minutes. They should give off a lot of liquid and will probably start to get some splotchy brown spots. Drain the liquid, pat the potatoes dry. Put a pan on medium-high heat, add a tbsp or so of manteca, lard, or duck fat if you have it. Potatoes go in the pan, you keep them moving around for 15 minutes or so. For the first 90% of this time you'll think nothing is happening and you'll be looking at the discolouration on the potatoes from when you salted them and you'll think this is never going to come together. And then pretty rapidly the potatoes will start going from sickly pale and splotchy to lovely golden brown. Keep them going for another couple minutes until they're all nice and golden brown and crisp on the outside, throw in a bunch of persillade, toss, and then it's ready to serve.

Add breadcrumbs to the basic persillade and you have the classic crust for lamb chops/lollipops. Add lemon zest to that and you have gremolata, the classic seasoning for lamb shanks. And there are about a million other variations, especially in Louisiana Creole and Cajun, Provençal, and Catalan cooking.

TheCog
Jul 30, 2012

I AM ZEPA AND I CLAIM THESE LANDS BY RIGHT OF CONQUEST

FAT BATMAN posted:

One of the best dishes I’ve ever had was “Castellan Sopa de Ajo” (Spanish Garlic Soup) at a fancy tapas restaurant.
However, every attempt I’ve made at it leads to a soup full of really inflated+soggy bread cubes, whereas the soup in my memory was contained crouton-like bread bits that were hard, crunchy and not soggy at all.
Is there a way to get that effect? Do I just add hard bread bits right before serving?

My experience says this:

1.) Use old, hardened bread
2.) Throw it in the oven to get it as close to totally dry as possible
3.) Add it to the soup right before you're ready to eat it.

The bread will get soggy in minutes, its the nature of sopa de ajo.

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

Who dey think gonna beat dem Bengos!
Thanks for several nice ideas.

Resting Lich Face
Feb 21, 2019

This case of an intraperitoneal zucchini is unusual, and does raise questions as to how hard one has to push a blunt vegetable to perforate the rectum.
Oregano and parsley also combine to make chimichurri.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Make tabouleh with the parsley.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Also, you're always going to have too many herbs. That's just herb gardening, they're either all dead or holy gently caress what am I going to do with all this. Do try to find fun ways to use them, but don't beat yourself up for having more than you can manage.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
You can always chop and mix with oil, then freeze and use during the cold seasons. But honestly, I can never get enough fresh herbs. Even when you don’t have a sauce or similar you want them for, try adding a stems worth to your skillet while working on a meat. Or just dump in handfuls while braising chicken (oregano is great for this) alongside slices of lemon, say.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

FAT BATMAN posted:

Maybe a decent amount of fat on the cubes? That may deter sogginess.

I think it would mostly come in through the crumb, so trying to maximize the crust on the bread cube may also help. I wonder if a tighter crumb would help as well.

One of the falafel places near me serves lentil soup with "pita chips" (just fried old flatbread probably). Since it's fried and almost all "crust" they seemed to hold out quite a while in the soup. They also cook them quite a lot, maybe they're slower to absorb water when they're toastier.

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

"...and the light is on and burning brightly for the masses."
Fallen Rib
Sopa de ajo is one of my very favorite comfort foods, hangover remedies, and pantry meals. I love it. 1 tbsp olive oil, 1 tbsp. smoked paprika (I like to mix sweet and spicy), four fat cloves of garlic, two eggs, and two cups of chicken stock is my preferred ratio.

I don't really have anything to add other than to basically I think you are gonna have to basically make croutons and save them until you are ready to eat the soup. Personally, I can't be bothered and just cube a slice of whatever bread I happen to have handy, though anything too refined or crummy tends to make the broth a little too gloopy for my taste.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
I have a bunch of pheasant in my freezer now since a friend’s was getting full. I’ve never eaten or prepared it.

Anyone have any pheasant recipes? Should I treat it like other poultry and sous vide or something else?

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Grand Fromage posted:

That's just herb gardening, they're either all dead or holy gently caress what am I going to do with all this.

Amen.

That said, there are some fun things you can do, like make herbal sugar syrups for cocktails.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Hed posted:

I have a bunch of pheasant in my freezer now since a friend’s was getting full. I’ve never eaten or prepared it.

Anyone have any pheasant recipes? Should I treat it like other poultry and sous vide or something else?

A friend of mine gave me a brace a few years ago, and I made a pheasant terrine and it was very good. I don’t like massive chunks of nuts, so I went with chopping them up more finely than the recipe suggests, but I’d definitely recommend using it as a starting point.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
Scallions can be used in place of chives for scallion pancakes.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

Scallions can be used in place of chives for scallion pancakes.

Checks out.

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

_________===D ~ ~ _\____/

I'm new to pressure cooking, and trying to convert our pork chile verde recipe into something faster. Normally, seared 2" pork shoulder cubes would simmer in the tomatillo sauce for 3+ hours.

Options I'm considering:
A) Pressure cook the roast whole on a trivet, then rest it, cube and sear (pork juice and fat goes into chicken stock at the bottom for the verde sauce later)
B) Cube, sear, and then pressure cook the pork right in the chicken stock

Q1) Is either of these likely to produce more tender pork than the other?

Q2) If I cube it, is there a trick to timing pressure cooker meats in small pieces? The weight-based tables I'm finding seem to be intended for uncut roasts, and averaging random pressure cooker recipes with cubed pork on the internet seems prone to mess up my dinner.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Scientastic posted:

A friend of mine gave me a brace a few years ago, and I made a pheasant terrine and it was very good. I don’t like massive chunks of nuts, so I went with chopping them up more finely than the recipe suggests, but I’d definitely recommend using it as a starting point.

Thank you! This looks great

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Remy Marathe posted:

I'm new to pressure cooking, and trying to convert our pork chile verde recipe into something faster. Normally, seared 2" pork shoulder cubes would simmer in the tomatillo sauce for 3+ hours.

Options I'm considering:
A) Pressure cook the roast whole on a trivet, then rest it, cube and sear (pork juice and fat goes into chicken stock at the bottom for the verde sauce later)
B) Cube, sear, and then pressure cook the pork right in the chicken stock

Q1) Is either of these likely to produce more tender pork than the other?

Q2) If I cube it, is there a trick to timing pressure cooker meats in small pieces? The weight-based tables I'm finding seem to be intended for uncut roasts, and averaging random pressure cooker recipes with cubed pork on the internet seems prone to mess up my dinner.

Try kenjis green chili recipe. He skips the sear and it's pretty drat good without it.

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010
This weekend I'm going to be making baozi for the first time (some friends decided to have a virtual dumpling folding parting). Assuming making them goes well, what's the best way to freeze leftovers? Freeze them pre-steam and then later steam them from frozen?

Hopes Fall
Sep 10, 2006
HOLY BOOBS, BATMAN!
Other than Beer Cheese soup, Cheddar biscuits, and Mac and Cheese, any pantry-light ideas on how to use up a metric ton of cheddar cheese? My sister sent her husband to the store for groceries, and asked him to grab "a couple blocks of cheese" and he came back with nearly $100 worth of cheese, including 4 5lb blocks of cheddar.

I now own a 5lb block of cheese. I like cheese, but drat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010

Hopes Fall posted:

Other than Beer Cheese soup, Cheddar biscuits, and Mac and Cheese, any pantry-light ideas on how to use up a metric ton of cheddar cheese? My sister sent her husband to the store for groceries, and asked him to grab "a couple blocks of cheese" and he came back with nearly $100 worth of cheese, including 4 5lb blocks of cheddar.

I now own a 5lb block of cheese. I like cheese, but drat.

Slice it thin, dehydrate the hell out of it, grind it up into powder and then you can season popcorn with it or make cheezits.