Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

vuk83 posted:

I dont get it

The original is something like “It's only champagne if it originates from Champagne, France, otherwise it's technically a sparkling wine.

There are many funny variations on it. This is the latest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

https://youtu.be/YE4NyXL5JAQ

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Woofer posted:

Sounds like a neo nazi death metal band

You could just say neo nazi band. The death is implied. Also the metal

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Syrian Lannister posted:

gently caress I'm tired.

First thing I thought of was the 80's hair metal band.

Hit me w a sixer

Me, doing that thing where I'm trying and failing to throw my voice: Yeah, hit him with a sixer

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

mlmp08 posted:

IS in Afghanistan (probably) dialing up the evil to 11 with a gunman attack on a maternity ward. “What if school shooting but somehow worse,” seems like where that kind of brainstorming starts.

I for sure thought this would happen in America first :(

e: just to be clear, I'd prefer it not happen anywhere but, going by reputation alone...

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Wingnut Ninja posted:

It's only a lynching if it originates from the Lynchburg region, otherwise it's technically a sparkling murder mob.

They finally sent a loving poet.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
https://twitter.com/mcclure111/status/1260253678692433920?s=19

Yuuuup

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender
I don't think you should stop calling it a lynch mob, you do you, but I do find it interesting that we wouldn't consider it appropriate to say they committed an extrajudicial killing because nobody killed anybody, but it is comfortable for more people to say it's a lynch mob. Since a mob is, by definition unruly, a mob certainly doesn't assemble by a purpose.

Lynch mob as a phrase has a meaning independent of it's origin. As a child, I had learned the phrase before I knew what lynching was. To me, it carried its own independent linguistic meaning that was sufficient to communicate with, if potentially ambiguous. All words have different interpretations to different interpreters. I suspect the distinction arises here--the word had meaning that I ascribed to it and then corrected once I had greater context later. It doesn't feel like a linguistic violation because of that. I think if the first time you heard of a lynch mob, it was in context of a lynching, and you understood that context, any use outside of that would feel less appropriate.

Is this a problem? Will joat mon solve it? Seems unlikely. Language. Language changes.

Edit:

Milo and POTUS posted:

You could just say neo nazi band. The death is implied. Also the metal

Presumptive neo nazi bands:

Death metal
Arm
Roving
Unable to post (because you were)

piL fucked around with this message at 21:58 on May 12, 2020

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Jessica "Attempted" Lynch

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
Rand Paul's neighbor is once again proven to do nothing wrong.

Meanwhile, here's a flyer from rural Nevada hospitals that explains why mask wearing is needed down to the chuddy level.

https://www.facebook.com/wbrhely/photos/a.464533116963679/2992681117482187/?type=3&theater

facialimpediment fucked around with this message at 22:06 on May 12, 2020

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Rand Paul looks like Harvey Keitel *after* he turned into a vampire in Dusk Till Dawn.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

piL posted:

I don't think you should stop calling it a lynch mob, you do you, but I do find it interesting that we wouldn't consider it appropriate to say they committed an extrajudicial killing because nobody killed anybody, but it is comfortable for more people to say it's a lynch mob. Since a mob is, by definition unruly, a mob certainly doesn't assemble by a purpose.

This right here is the dumbest take in the whole dumb argument.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Rand Paul looks like poo poo.

I mean, more than a turd in a suit normally does.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Appropriating hipster culture

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

mlmp08 posted:

IS in Afghanistan (probably) dialing up the evil to 11 with a gunman attack on a maternity ward. “What if school shooting but somehow worse,” seems like where that kind of brainstorming starts.

loving spawn campers, kick and ban from server.

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.

I hope he enjoys some lingering debilitation and is one of the first to find out that the disease *doesn't* give you immunity.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

LingcodKilla posted:

Pffft lynch mobs these days. Back in the good ol days If we had a wrong address we’d just have a two-fer-one.

These loving disgusting people need to be smashed hard by the rule of law so they stop these “I’m not touching you” actions. The minute they think they will get away with it their bravery will spark up and a strong black mama won’t be enough to push them back.

:ssh: They are able to act as they do because the carceral state has, at very least, tacit support for their political goals. :ssh:

I think part of what defines a lynching that the mob is acting "under color of law" (historically often sheriffs, although that's at least partly because they ran the jails the victims were often taken from) or at least with significant involvement of local social/political elites. A lynching is very much an expression of social disapproval, not just racist vigilante violence.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Lynching or alternative law enforcement? We post you decide

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

Lemniscate Blue posted:

This right here is the dumbest take in the whole dumb argument.

That's mean. You're mean.

Edit: I mean, it's an erroneous definition now that I look it up, so I guess so.

piL fucked around with this message at 22:54 on May 12, 2020

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

SpaceSDoorGunner posted:

Lynching or alternative law enforcement? We post you decide

in related news

https://twitter.com/redfishstream/status/1259803413359067138

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Midjack posted:

loving spawn campers, kick and ban from server.

The real response I had to the afghan maternity ward shooting.

gently caress. :(

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!

https://twitter.com/MehrsaBaradaran...agenumber%3D371

👀

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
What the ever loving gently caress

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender
Probably concerned about a runaway debt selloff.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
Sullivan to Flynn/Barr/Trump et al:

It's over when I say it's over. It's not over.

https://twitter.com/MMineiro_CNS/status/1260329588170862594

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:
Gotta wonder how much of that debt could be eliminated if they gave that loan money to the debtors instead of the creditors.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

A Bad Poster posted:

Gotta wonder how much of that debt could be eliminated if they gave that loan money to the debtors instead of the creditors.

None if it's a loan.

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

Every man likes a pretty girl with him at a skeleton dance.

A Bad Poster posted:

Maybe if they paid off the loan for the debtors?

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

It's interesting comparing these guys and the chud protesters in how comfortable they look wearing their gear and how reasonable their loadout is.

Also this guy with a $3k+ rifle

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

piL posted:

None if it's a loan.

How much of it will be paid back?

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

CANADA DOESN'T GET PENS LIKE THIS

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made American Products. Bitch.
The Black Panthers need to do more of that.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

Internet Wizard posted:

It's interesting comparing these guys and the chud protesters in how comfortable they look wearing their gear and how reasonable their loadout is.

Also this guy with a $3k+ rifle

Looks like a professional, not a cosplayer.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

My Spirit Otter posted:

The Black Panthers need to do more of that.

Which specific offshoot is this? If anyone knows.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

Platystemon posted:

How much of it will be paid back?

I'd love to see the data and assumptions used to craft this policy, but I don't think there's a requirement for that to exist prior to drafting a resolution, so maybe aren't any. If there is a report by staffers or a think tank, it may be public, but I don't really know how to find that.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

TFR nitpicked the gear a little and the New Black Panthers are apparently not cool with Jews so bleh.

Still I appreciate what they doing right now.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

LingcodKilla posted:

TFR nitpicked the gear a little and the New Black Panthers are apparently not cool with Jews so bleh.

Yeah that’s what I was wondering, the NBPP really doesn’t share much besides aesthetics with their namesake. It’s basically the a Nation of Islam offshoot.

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

CANADA DOESN'T GET PENS LIKE THIS

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made American Products. Bitch.
oh, i didn't know this re: NBPs.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

LingcodKilla posted:

What thread did they do a gear breakdown in?

And yeah, there’s a weird anti-Semitic strain in a lot of Black nationalist groups these days like NBPP and more egregiously in the Black Hebrew Israelite movement. The latter were present at last year’s standoff between the stupid CHUD teenager and the native Vietnam vet and reportedly instigated the whole thing.

Personally I’m glad there’s a group committed to community self-defense in that area but man they need to ditch that Farrakhan poo poo like yesterday.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

pantslesswithwolves posted:

What thread did they do a gear breakdown in?

And yeah, there’s a weird anti-Semitic strain in a lot of Black nationalist groups these days like NBPP and more egregiously in the Black Hebrew Israelite movement. The latter were present at last year’s standoff between the stupid CHUD teenager and the native Vietnam vet and reportedly instigated the whole thing.

Personally I’m glad there’s a group committed to community self-defense in that area but man they need to ditch that Farrakhan poo poo like yesterday.

LimburgLimbo posted:

If by fucks you mean can't fuckin draw his pistol, shoulder his rifle, or use his VFG haha

Edit: good on him for the statement though.
Downside is I'm like 100% sure there's probably a half dozen threads on arfcom right now with barely even coded racist language about this dude, but then that's probably the point. It would actually be amazing if this was an intentional trap for racist gun nerds.

Also my bad it was D&D in the only thread I follow there but the crossover from TFR posters is considerable and he brings up all good points.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
I don't know what the post-80s layout of Black Panther groups looks like, or if there's a Huey P. Newton style Black Panther Party out there, but hopefully there is and they gain traction. The NBPP apparently ignored Dr. Newton's memo about renouncing black nationalism (in 1968) and tilted full-on into antisemitism. :(

I'm glad there are folks standing up against white power operator cosplay though.