Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

sebmojo posted:

This realization focused within him in a sudden sparkflash computation, and in the clear brilliance of that illumination, the boy Pall understood a profoundness. His life, hitherto a child's plaything, devoid of direction–seemingly!
Or had there in fact always been a plan–a plan within a plan within a plan (whatever that meant (whatever that meant (whatever that meant)))?–was now encompassed by a terrible purpose.
He knew the meaning of the word terrible, and he knew the meaning of the word purpose. And therefore he understood deeply the meaning of "terrible purpose" Unless he, in the solitude of his deeply brain-filled mind, misunderstood this revelation, and was in fact confronted with a "terrible papoose." 

Don’t make me tap the sign.
*points at the thread title*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

TK-42-1 posted:

Don’t make me tap the sign.
*points at the thread title*

I don't believe that failson can produce something legitimately legible.

revwinnebago
Oct 4, 2017

D. Ebdrup posted:

I tried embiggening it:

Did I miss the part where everyone gets mad that nobody in this film ever wears a mask?

Because these muhfuggas wasting water.

Phlegmish posted:

Every time there's dialogue between two characters one of them has an inner monologue like "I will say this, which will fool him into thinking x, which will further my plan...but what if it furthers his plan? And is his plan actually opposed to mine or are we on the same side, is he a triple-crosser?"

Not going to lie, sometimes I have trouble following the details

Unless you're a diehard fanboy with a list of explanations longer than the book, 90% of the time it's just nonsense.

Even within Herbert's own writing, he admits that chance and happenstance trump prescience in all but the most plot armor of schemes.

Characters are always generating five or six different ways a scenario could go before finding out they had no idea wtf was going on to begin with except heh heh this will all play to my advantage wait why am I bleeding and probably poisoned now?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Your not going to have masks mostly in a major Hollywood movie

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost
Unnamed fremens in the background will wear their masks. Major characters will maybe wear them in a few shots while walking in the desert but most of the time they will hang like on this picture and this will be justified by them talking or being indoor.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

revwinnebago posted:

Did I miss the part where everyone gets mad that nobody in this film ever wears a mask?

Because these muhfuggas wasting water.

Assuming this is the worm attack on the spice harvester, Paul and Gurney wouldn't have really acclimated to life on a planet with no water just yet.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

revwinnebago posted:

i see masks in the picture you quoted

Vlex
Aug 4, 2006
I'd rather be a climbing ape than a big titty angel.

revwinnebago posted:

Even within Herbert's own writing, he admits that chance and happenstance trump prescience in all but the most plot armor of schemes.

One of the most iconic passages in Dune is when Kynes dies, his last thought is something like "the only persistent principles of the universe are accident and error". Which rather flies in the face of entirety of the rest of the books.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

SpaceGoatFarts posted:

Unnamed fremens in the background will wear their masks. Major characters will maybe wear them in a few shots while walking in the desert but most of the time they will hang like on this picture and this will be justified by them talking or being indoor.

Yeah I would also the leads signed on with an understanding they’d be mostly maskless

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

I remember how much of a big deal it was for Hugo Weaving to play V and never show his face the entire film. I can understand that it’s different for just one person to be masked vs everyone as far as helping the audience follow along but just once it’s be cool to see it.

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,
Just as Lord of the Rings was merely an excuse to indulge in philology, so too is Dune a treatise on cultural ecology pretending to be a novel (or in God Emperor's case, philosophy).

okay here's another hot take:

Dune is a more accurate version of Guns, Germs, and Steel. Likewise, Seven Pillars of Wisdom is a more accurate version of Dune

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

https://twitter.com/duneupdates/status/1260217173324247040

Jesus In A Can
Jul 2, 2007
From Concentrate
I wonder if that blurring of the cuff of the knife hand is intentional, and the body shields will be some type of glove/wrist mount combo.

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

the Atreides lobster claw technique, feared across the galaxy.

On Caladan, we ruled with lobster power. Here, we must scrabble for poo jerky power. This is your inheritance, Paul.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Vlex posted:

One of the most iconic passages in Dune is when Kynes dies, his last thought is something like "the only persistent principles of the universe are accident and error". Which rather flies in the face of entirety of the rest of the books.
Both Paul and Leto II have prescience and still end up loving up; one because they try to see too much which locked the future, leading to genocide - the other because they try to avoid looking ahead as much as possible, and end up causing untold misery and deaths.
I'd say that's accident and error in a nutshell.

Not a fan of these filters, I gotta be honest.
Someone also tried loving with the other one, or did a piss-poor job of taking a clearly staged picture, which resulted in ISO graininess that made it hard to embiggen.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

Supposedly that's a photo/scan of a magazine so :shrug:

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

The images that go to magazines before the film comes out are sent out by the marketing department, often the publicity department to be specific.

Just to give an idea how far removed from the production office's SFX department they are. The film will most likely look very different.

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

I demand each frame of the movie to be first printed on badly calibrated offset machines, then lousily photographed with a decade old camera phone and assembled in windows movie maker with wrong frame rate, botched aspect ratio and asymmetrical black bars on each side of the frame; with badly synced ~mono but only in left channel~ soundtrack recorded on wax cylinder.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

FBS posted:

Supposedly that's a photo/scan of a magazine so :shrug:
That's some piss-poor printing technique, then.

Anne Frank Funk posted:

I demand each frame of the movie to be first printed on badly calibrated offset machines, then lousily photographed with a decade old camera phone and assembled in windows movie maker with wrong frame rate, botched aspect ratio and asymmetrical black bars on each side of the frame; with badly synced ~mono but only in left channel~ soundtrack recorded on wax cylinder.
I'd prefer this, at least it'd be artistic then. Artistically bad, but artistic.
You know, Jodorowsky's Dune.

DebonaireD
May 7, 2007

He's got a knife in each hand and it seems like his left cuff is... something? Wrist guard/personal shield device? Hard to tell what's the shot versus the photo scan, but again, so spare looking! Like it's a stage production of dune.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Even the source image looks weird.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

probably just trying to mimic the after effects they’re expecting so it looks less like a set shot

Xaintrailles
Aug 14, 2015

:hellyeah::histdowns:
It's a weirding module.

exmachina
Mar 12, 2006

Look Closer

Xaintrailles posted:

It's a weirding module.

I'll make your name a killing word...

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

euphronius posted:

Your not going to have masks mostly in a major Hollywood movie

There aren't going to be any Hollywood movies unless people start wearing masks a bit more.

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

i tighten the sphincter so that no virus can enter

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

It puts the sandtrout on its skin or else it gets deposed again.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Lean and muscular, Baron Vladimir Harkonnen entered quarantine

Murray Mantoinette
Jun 11, 2005

THE  POSTS  MUST  FLOW
Clapping Larry

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

It puts the sandtrout on its skin or else it gets deposed again.

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Vlex posted:

It doesn't really - Paul being the KH was an accident despite the Bene Gesserit's best attempts. The later books are full of references to 'wild Atreides genes' cropping up again - Leto II's plan for humanity's survival is essentially to make random chance and error work in humanity's favour.

Lord Awkward
Feb 16, 2012
Surprised that PYF found Villeneuve's battle pug before this thread did

pugnithopter

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

Lord Awkward posted:

pugnithopter

This poor dog never asked for this.

WarMECH
Dec 23, 2004

D. Ebdrup posted:

Even the source image looks weird.

It looks like a shadow cast by his leg, considering the direction of the light source in the picture.

revwinnebago
Oct 4, 2017

AFewBricksShy posted:

Paul wouldn't have really acclimated to life on a planet with no water just yet.

(peers closely at screen, thumbs to the page about "desert fashion", peers back at screen)

The images we've gotten so far are likely to be exclusively chosen by the ad agency, so I'm not reading too much into it. I know people who work in movie advertising and lol.

But nothing shown about the movie so far excites me either. Then again I could say the same about 2049. Early teasers of Blank Slate Gosling on orange/cyan backgrounds didn't work for me. I need to see a trailer before I can do much more than laugh about how

bij
Feb 24, 2007

Don't Be a Menace to House Corrino While Snorting Your Spice in the Sietch

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:

SpaceGoatFarts posted:

This poor dog never asked for this.

https://youtu.be/sfFVt6VD5cM

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

kiimo posted:

Lean and muscular, Baron Vladimir Harkonnen entered quarantine

Kynes: With a Fremen PPE in good working condition, infection can be staved off for weeks, even in the hot zone, Sire. With your permission. ...You've worn a mask before.
Paul (muffled): No.
Kynes: Your mask is fitted covid fashion. Who told you how to do that?
Paul (barely audible): No one. It seemed the proper way.
Kynes: That it is.

Off screen: ~~He shall know social distancing as if born to it.~~

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

The cat is weird but the ostrich owns

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Lord Awkward posted:

pugnithopter

That's a Pugicopter, son :engleft:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vlex
Aug 4, 2006
I'd rather be a climbing ape than a big titty angel.

DROP THE TRAILER DENIS