Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

No Wave posted:

Recettear has to be understood in the context of when it was released (2007). It was novel for independent games to exist at all back when it came out, its main competition was flash games and warcraft 3 custom maps. (what I mean is, there is absolutely nothing to the shop mechanics in recettear and they'd get panned today)

The release in English that everyone went nuts for didnt come out til late 2010, when there were a lot more options. I haven’t played Moonlighter yet but Recettear had a fair bit of depth to it that wasn’t readily apparent, which helps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

I enjoyed Moonlighter, but I also spent as little time as possible on the shopkeeping part. Find a decent price, only sell stuff every few expeditions, and you can spend most of your time focusing on the dungeon crawling.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

GrandpaPants posted:

I mean, there's Maia.

Maia's cool because she's likeable and charming but also a monster.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Ugly In The Morning posted:

The release in English that everyone went nuts for didnt come out til late 2010, when there were a lot more options. I haven’t played Moonlighter yet but Recettear had a fair bit of depth to it that wasn’t readily apparent, which helps.

Recettear also has a minimum of charm to its characters and setting, even a bit of variety depending on who you choose as a bodyguard to the dungeons.

Jokymi
Jan 31, 2003

Sweet Sassy Molassy

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

I guess Obsidian is making some silly Honey I Shrunk the Kids type Co op survival game next instead of another rpg :(
Apparently thats more of a side project with a fairly small team. The studio is working on other stuff that hasn't been revealed yet.

Hopefully something more gets announced soon!

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.

Antigravitas posted:

The weirdest thing about PoE2 is that it is unquestionably a better game than the first. Absolutely everything is better executed.

And yet it still lacked a certain je ne sais quoi. I still really like it, but I've never finished it. I obsessively played the first, griped about its flaws, saw the flaws get rectified in the sequel, but the sequel left me less…whelmed? How does that even work? It's completely asinine.
This is pretty much exactly how I felt about it too. I played all the way through PoE1 and loved it, got PoE2 the day it came out, got through like 2/3rds of it, and then never played it again. I think my biggest problem was that the game tried to go for the *~gritty realism~* of having to ally with a faction to defeat the Big Bad, but having every faction be full of different flavors of shitheads. There's the option to tell them all to gently caress off, but then you need to have a powerful enough ship to not need their help, and I couldn't be bothered to upgrade my ship because naval combat sucks rear end and I avoided it wherever possible.

I guess part of that is on me because there was no way there wasn't going to be a big naval battle during the main quest, but it's kind of dumb that you can make it through 2/3rds of a giant RPG about sailing an archipelago without upgrading a single thing on your ship.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY
Dumb question/take time:

I love Cyberpunk action games, mainly shooters: Hard Reset, EYE Divine Cybermancy, Syndicate (2012)...(Edit: I suppose Black Ice counts)

But also non-shooters like Remember Me, and the Mirror's Edge series.

But I want more. I know there are the Deus Ex games but I really couldn't get into them.

Can anyone recommend some others? I probably forgot some because I have a stupidly huge library, but any that you guys could recommend, I'd appreciate. :shobon:

Morter fucked around with this message at 23:58 on May 12, 2020

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Morter posted:

Dumb question/take time:

I love Cyberpunk action games, mainly shooters: Hard Reset, EYE Divine Cybermancy, Syndicate (2012)...

But I want more. I know there are the Deus Ex games but I really couldn't get into them.

Can anyone recommend some others? I probably forgot some because I have a stupidly huge library, but any that you guys could recommend, I'd appreciate. :shobon:

Katana Zero is a short hotline miami sidescroller action game with cyberpunk aesthetics. it's good, and only about a 4-hr long game, which imo is good for me since I like stuff I can finish in a sitting or two these days.

There's also the new Shadowrun games (start with Dragonfall first if you like it, then Hong Kong second, and absolutely ignore anyone who tells you otherwise) if you don't mind a turn-based RPG, nail the aesthetic pretty well.

Far Cry Blood Dragon for an FPS action game with only minimal amounts of ubisoft ubisofting the whole thing up. pretty short which works to it's advantage.

Transistor is kind of cyberpunkish I guess, more story driven with middling gameplay. not really an action game

e: BRIGADOR is hella loving good but top-down rampage action game.

Xaris fucked around with this message at 23:54 on May 12, 2020

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Morter posted:

Dumb question/take time:

I love Cyberpunk action games, mainly shooters: Hard Reset, EYE Divine Cybermancy, Syndicate (2012)...

Have you played: Prey, or Invisible Inc? Very different from each other but incredible and they fit the themes you're looking for. (well, prey kinda does)

Trickyblackjack
Feb 13, 2012
DOOM in cyberpunk, sorta.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

I've been thinking about KZ but as nice as it looks, for a short game I think i'll wait until I get into the specific mood for it.

I don't have Shadowrun or Transistor. Might try Transistor later, but not looking for turn-based stuff.

I have and beat Blood Dragon, great game. I have Brigador but I haven't tried it recently since the larger updates. I love the aesthetic and I stink at it, but that's just more of a mech game than what I'm looking for.

StrixNebulosa posted:

Have you played: Prey, or Invisible Inc? Very different from each other but incredible and they fit the themes you're looking for. (well, prey kinda does)

I have Prey. I get why its cyberpunk but the execution is more spacey survival horror to me. Which isn't bad--I'm working on beating it (eventually :effort: ), but that's not it.

Invisible Inc doesn't look to be my thing but that does remind me I do have Satellite Reign, which is both set in, and to an extent executes, kind of how I want. So thanks for that.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Morter posted:

I've been thinking about KZ but as nice as it looks, for a short game I think i'll wait until I get into the specific mood for it.

I don't have Shadowrun or Transistor. Might try Transistor later, but not looking for turn-based stuff.

I have and beat Blood Dragon, great game. I have Brigador but I haven't tried it recently since the larger updates. I love the aesthetic and I stink at it, but that's just more of a mech game than what I'm looking for

That's totally fair, KZ probably is a "sale" game because it is really short for it's price, but I found every second potent and fun to play

Shadowrun Dragonfall is real good if you want the a e s t h e t i c but yeah if you aren't into turn-based combat (even though much of the game is dialog) then that's fine

you've p much exhausted everything that's good unless you can give Deus Ex 1 a shot again. I guess there's also JYDGE if you want a top-down shooter https://store.steampowered.com/app/654050/JYDGE/

just wait for CYBERPUNK 2077 latter this year, shits gunna be good

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Shadowrun Dragonfall and Hong Kong are both insanely good and way better than Satellite Reign, which I really wanted to like but absolutely hated.

Knightsoul
Dec 19, 2008

Morter posted:

Dumb question/take time:

I love Cyberpunk action games, mainly shooters: Hard Reset, EYE Divine Cybermancy, Syndicate (2012)...(Edit: I suppose Black Ice counts)

Try Dex. You'll thank me later. :agesilaus:

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Yes, go play Satellite Reign, it was a fun goofy little game and I remember it had the absolutely *best* implementation of "failing gracefully" I've ever seen. After a huge flop where I'd suffered a total party wipe, I was reaching for the reload button when I heard one of my guys respawn outside of the compound and remembered that hey, I don't need to reload, I can just keep playing. Genre-shattering, and it's a shame nobody else pushes for it much.

One suggestion? You don't need all the stealth/exploration/forced entry tools asap. Level up a murder skill or two, it's more fun that way.

Zeta Acosta
Dec 16, 2019

#essereFerrari

Antigravitas posted:

The Story is laughably bad and it's a D&D game. Well, Pathfinder, but that's way too much D&D. They learned absolutely nothing from RPGs post-BG2 and it shows. The game inherited all the weaknesses of BG.

It's okay if you like D&D with a GM who thinks an endless dungeon of permanent stat debuff fodder encounters is the height of game design.

But honestly, it's the story I find the most galling. It's so embarassingly cliche I barely made it through the tutorial.

[/rant]

the intro grabbed me more than tyranny, poe and divinity. im not a fan of turn based games

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

Xaris posted:

you've p much exhausted everything that's good unless you can give Deus Ex 1 a shot again.

Is there a reason I'd wanna try Deus Ex 1 again over the more modern ones, especially for gameplay sake?

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

anilEhilated posted:

Thank you! I must be the last person who hasn't played it.

Have fun with that! I replayed recently and it holds up pretty well. Not the mind blowing experience it was in 2012, but still a great little package with some fun storytelling, nice pace of gameplay, and one of the greatest game soundtracks ever.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Morter posted:

Dumb question/take time:

Furi is kind of a cyberpunk game if you haven't tried that.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Morter posted:

Is there a reason I'd wanna try Deus Ex 1 again over the more modern ones, especially for gameplay sake?

Gameplay wise? hrmmm, it's pretty old and clunky, but you do get the whole 'insane augmented superhuman' thing lategame that the newer games didn't go for.

But yea, mostly it's the story/setting that works brilliantly for DX1. If you're just after the blade-arms, the newer games are more slick.

edit: bio-energy!! The first game lets you use your toys, the newer games totally forbid you for going ham with augments with the super horrible regenerating system.

Serephina fucked around with this message at 00:22 on May 13, 2020

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Morter posted:

The level design is great, the plot is good, there’s a lot of fun Easter eggs, and if you’re bad at games a 10mm pistol+laser scope and the regen aug is an “I win” button.

CHOICE COD
Mar 11, 2007
Sometimes I'll eat money. Just to do it. Just to see how it feels. It feels good, it feels powerful.

Morter posted:

Dumb question/take time:

Give RUINER a look but probably wait for a sale if you're interested. It was a freebie on Epic a while back; you might already have it there.

dregan
Jan 16, 2005

I could transport you all into space if I wanted.

Morter posted:

Dumb question/take time:

I didn't see mention of Binary Domain or Vanquish, so I'd suggest Binary Domain and Vanquish. They're a bit more Robot Uprising than Cyberpunk, but if you enjoyed Hard Reset I think you'll get a kick out of them.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

CHOICE COD posted:

Give RUINER a look but probably wait for a sale if you're interested. It was a freebie on Epic a while back; you might already have it there.

Xaris posted:

I guess there's also JYDGE if you want a top-down shooter https://store.steampowered.com/app/654050/JYDGE/

Oh poo poo thank you for reminding me i have both of these games. This will give me both the aesthetic and action! :peanut:

dregan posted:

I didn't see mention of Binary Domain or Vanquish, so I'd suggest Binary Domain and Vanquish. They're a bit more Robot Uprising than Cyberpunk, but if you enjoyed Hard Reset I think you'll get a kick out of them.

Have and beat them both. Great games.

Also thank you everyone, I think I've gotten some leads. Feel free to keep recommending more but I'm good for now

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

This is pretty much exactly how I felt about it too. I played all the way through PoE1 and loved it, got PoE2 the day it came out, got through like 2/3rds of it, and then never played it again. I think my biggest problem was that the game tried to go for the *~gritty realism~* of having to ally with a faction to defeat the Big Bad, but having every faction be full of different flavors of shitheads. There's the option to tell them all to gently caress off, but then you need to have a powerful enough ship to not need their help, and I couldn't be bothered to upgrade my ship because naval combat sucks rear end and I avoided it wherever possible.

I guess part of that is on me because there was no way there wasn't going to be a big naval battle during the main quest, but it's kind of dumb that you can make it through 2/3rds of a giant RPG about sailing an archipelago without upgrading a single thing on your ship.

I always ran away during naval combat (or went for the instant ram into boarding action). I think by now they patched in the option to just tell the game "skip with naval section, put me at the boarding action fight". That ship part at the end I'm pretty sure I skipped that with dialogue options by getting the scary Deathguard ship thanks to a big friendly skeleton man who really likes Iselmyr. The storm just parted in front of me. Might also be because of the storm-controlling legendary Halberd?

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
I didn't see mention of JYDGE regarding cyberpunk games. I had a blast rootin', tootin', and bootin' my way through walls and taking out baddies with my upgraded and decked out RobertCop Dredd.

https://i.imgur.com/X7Iu9dZ.mp4

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984

Morter posted:

Also thank you everyone, I think I've gotten some leads. Feel free to keep recommending more but I'm good for now
ahem excuse me:
https://store.steampowered.com/app/3710/Judge_Dredd_Dredd_vs_Death/

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Antigravitas posted:

The weirdest thing about PoE2 is that it is unquestionably a better game than the first. Absolutely everything is better executed.

And yet it still lacked a certain je ne sais quoi. I still really like it, but I've never finished it. I obsessively played the first, griped about its flaws, saw the flaws get rectified in the sequel, but the sequel left me less…whelmed? How does that even work? It's completely asinine.

Still a good game though. I'm a bit sad that they didn't put a character as repulsive as Durance into the sequel.

Also, everyone should play Tyranny. Like, right now.

Huge bummer that Poe2 and Tyranny were low sellers. It kind of killed the idea that a single player party based heavily narrative focused rpg is a good idea for a big studio to back.

Larian are the only other major game company doing that, and it looks like Baldur's Gate 3 is drawing from their style of Divinity Original Sin 1&2.

edit: As a follow up to going nearly the entire day dazed after the ending of Life is Strange, I bought Before the Storm and started it up. I'm probably going to buy LiS2 as soon as I finish that. I know Telltale ate poo poo with their rapid expansions and license grabbing but Dontnod struck gold and I can't imagine them not making LiS into a continuing franchise or possibly expanding the original game out more.

pentyne fucked around with this message at 01:18 on May 13, 2020

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Honestly given the song's lyrics it kind of works better now.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

On Pillars 2, I honestly think it's the best isometric crpg ever. It's just so fun and the setting and characters so loving good. Pretty much every other one botches one of those.

And yeah Maia's great, cause she's likeable and cool initially but is basically just straight up evil, and not even like cool rpg/fantasy evil. She's just a slimy amoral war criminal who completely refuses to take personal responsibility for any of her atrocities. Like at least Durance was somewhat aware of what a piece of poo poo he is, Maia's too much of a self absorbed coward for even rudimentary self loathing. She's colonialism.txt as a character. The whole game's deep dive on colonialism is so loving refreshing and different for a crpg.

On Starbound has anyone mentioned the dog they abandoned after not feeding it? Cause that was a thing the Starbound office reportedly did.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Troubleshooter: up to five hours played and yeah! yeah!! This is really clicking, I'm so glad I picked it up.

Also! I actually read the update from May 8th and:

quote:

( This text is written with the help of machine translation service. )

Greetings, this is the Troubleshooter development team.

We would like to first address that with all of your help, Troubleshooter was full-released and successfully ended the full release special sales. Once again, thank you all.

The fund that has been raised since the full release is enough for the development team to keep working for the next three months.

This might not be a success that every person looks up to, but considering the time before the full release when we had to concern the upcoming situation every month, this is certainly a significant transition.

Hence, the development team is planning to regularly update Troubleshooter to enhance your game experience as promised. Furthermore, we will post the long term development road map as soon as possible.

We deeply appreciate all of you for offering us the opportunity.

Thank you.

:kimchi:

Keep trucking on, indie korean xcom team, you do good work.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Troubleshooter is a janky piece of poo poo but at the same time, there is no other game as ambitious as it.

My party is average 15 with:

-Albus specced to attack and counterattack anything that moves, with 2 free actions available and gaining 20 vigor whenever he stand-by

-Sion with double magic, Vigor regen+7, and auto-crit

-Irene can't die, even if she did, she has Phoenix to revive

-Anne just throws nukes and heals

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Oh, I missed that update, the pre-release one was rather grim in perspective, good thing they've managed to turn a profit!

Tae posted:

Troubleshooter is a janky piece of poo poo but at the same time, there is no other game as ambitious as it.

My party is average 15 with:

-Albus specced to attack and counterattack anything that moves, with 2 free actions available and gaining 20 vigor whenever he stand-by

-Sion with double magic, Vigor regen+7, and auto-crit

-Irene can't die, even if she did, she has Phoenix to revive

-Anne just throws nukes and heals

Sion is definitely the MVP in party, even with the other two characters that join you later. He's just excellent at dunking on groups of enemies, my Albus and Irene aren't quite on that level, which just shows how you can optimize the mastery system.

ZearothK fucked around with this message at 03:33 on May 13, 2020

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Awesome! posted:

its weird because people like recettear. i guess the shop gameplay is deeper in that one or something

In moonlighter there were basically no shop selling mechanics, as far as I know. Once you'd figured out the prices for all the loot from your latest dungeon, you just filled your shop shelves with whatever was most expensive and turned your brain off.
Early-ish on you unlock another shop in town that buys any item for exactly X% of its "real value", so you don't even need to play the high-low game with customers. Whenever you unlock a new dungeon and start finding new stuff to sell, you just cart your inventory to the guy in town, show it all to him, then multiply his prices by 5 or something (I forget the actual ratio) to get the perfect sale price for your store.

The dungeon crawling was pretty fun though!
I think it was free on the epic store a while back. I finished the game and enjoyed my ~13 hours.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
I enjoyed playing Moonlighter despite it's super simple shopkeeping mechanics,

I finished it, but i never bothered getting the expansion. Is it good?

Gomi Day
Nov 15, 2007

Trust me, Bill. Large spectacles lend distinction to any countenance, as I have reason to know.
Plaster Town Cop

Knightsoul posted:

Try Dex. You'll thank me later. :agesilaus:

seconded.

just started it the other day and it's rad, thus far.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Is Dustforce DX a big upgrade to Dustforce without DX? Because I have the latter and Dustforce is great.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Of all its issues and bugs Mechwarrior 5's big rear end memory leak is the worst. Two missions and it starts to stutter, three and it falls over.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Artelier posted:

Is Dustforce DX a big upgrade to Dustforce without DX? Because I have the latter and Dustforce is great.

DX was a free update so you do actually already have it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

RBA Starblade posted:

Of all its issues and bugs Mechwarrior 5's big rear end memory leak is the worst. Two missions and it starts to stutter, three and it falls over.

Man, I haven’t dealt with a game with a memory leak in about a decade. How do they gently caress that up?