Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mystes
May 31, 2006

WarpedNaba posted:

My dream life sucks. I'm pretty sure actual life as a recovering coma patient will not be better.

For the love of god, turn off my life support.

Please.
2020 America is where they put you when you're dumb enough to ask to go back in the Matrix.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

CANADA DOESN'T GET PENS LIKE THIS

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made American Products. Bitch.

this motherfucker is the reason they have to repave the roads every summer

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

...gently up the road, merrily merrily merrily merrily, why the gently caress's it snowed!!?!?!!?!?!

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Platystemon posted:

If you are reading this, you have been in a coma for almost twenty years.

We are trying a new technique. We do not know where this message will end up in your dream, but we hope it gets through.

Please wake up.

LMAO, get your rear end in here and MAKE ME, coward.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Super Soaker Party! posted:

...gently up the road, merrily merrily merrily merrily, why the gently caress's it snowed!!?!?!!?!?!

"And gently caress your sidewalk. And your yard. And your sidewalk"

Reuben Sandwich
Jan 27, 2007

A guy I see from time to time works at a lead battery plant. Tells us we can't call him a dirtbag because the company makes him take a shower before he leaves. The same plant lost a lawsuit years ago because they clocked the workers out before their shift cleanup.

I still run into cast iron water pipes with lead joints occasionally. No PPE or anything special for those.

On the other hand, lead paint... Freddie Gray...

MRC48B posted:

IIRC the last time TEL came up someone mentioned there's several viable alternatives to Leaded avgas, but since the epa got basically gutted, the FAA cant be bothered to force a change.
I don't have direct knowledge but a couple pilots told me swift fuel isn't good for the fuel cells.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Platystemon posted:

Aviation gasoline is still leaded. Bringing this up around pilots is like bringing up Poe’s orangutang around scholars of literature.

One facility in Leeds makes the whole world’s supply of tetraethyl lead.

Hold the gently caress on, are you telling me Edgar Allan Poe had a loving orangutan? An actual drat great ape?

That's osha as hell don't let those guys out when you're writing

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

WE! DO NOT! TALK ABOUT! THE ORANGUTAN!

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

SniperWoreConverse posted:

Hold the gently caress on, are you telling me Edgar Allan Poe had a loving orangutan? An actual drat great ape?

He wrote a story that involved one.

It was either an incredibly vicious racist analogue, or it wasn't, and figuring out which it is has caused much debate amongst scholars of literature.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Tyson Tomko posted:

But I thought they do pollinate an absolute poo poo load of things?

Actually, they used a picture of a cicada killer. They are large, and yes, they look like a nightmare when they're flying in your vicinity, but they don't give a poo poo about anything except catching and paralyzing a cicada. The only way one will hurt you is through serious effort or stepping on one.

Reuben Sandwich posted:

I still run into cast iron water pipes with lead joints occasionally. No PPE or anything special for those.

Welcome to Philadelphia!

PainterofCrap fucked around with this message at 03:27 on May 13, 2020

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

PainterofCrap posted:

Actually, they used a picture of a cicada killer. They are large, and yes, they look like a nightmare when they're flying in your vicinity, but they don't give a poo poo about anything except catching and paralyzing a cicada. The only way one will hurt you is through serious effort or stepping on one.

Awww, they're hugging! :3:

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

Jabor posted:

He wrote a story that involved one.

It was either an incredibly vicious racist analogue, or it wasn't, and figuring out which it is has caused much debate amongst scholars of literature.

wait, this story sounds familiar. . . was an argument about Poe's orangutan between professors of literature described in a book? Where did you read this?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Squalid posted:

wait, this story sounds familiar. . . was an argument about Poe's orangutan between professors of literature described in a book? Where did you read this?

If Tumblr is a book, yes.

Turrurrurrurrrrrrr
Dec 22, 2018

I hope this is "battle" enough for you, friend.

SelenicMartian posted:

Both units were made by the same Russian factory.
And the fatality rate on them is 86% without a fire.

For a long time people debated whether death by drowning or burning was worse. Now on Corona fire ventilators you get to experience both at the same time.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
Oh wait I vaguely remember the story didn't it involve someone getting dunked in molten pitch and burning to death?

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

PainterofCrap posted:

Welcome to Philadelphia!

Ps, once again I have to demand goons stop breaking into my house and taking pics

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

hmm. . . that looks like what i was thinking of, but its a lot lamer than i remember. I feel like I read a version of that story but cut down to like 3 paragraphs. Could have just been a different time the same person recounted it.

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

We have tarantula wasps in California. They're kind the same way, the only thing they wanna do is sting an unfortunate Tarantula (which really truly are, the cutest of ambush spiders), lay their eggs in it, and let their progeny eat it from the inside out. If you somehow manage to get one to sting you (which requires stuffing your hands into every oak tree wound and small dirt hole you can find until you hit pay dirt or more likely, another species of wasp nest), the pain is apparently absolutely debilitating but not lethal. It goes away pretty quickly.

I actually really like our native tarantula's. I've found them in my stuff while I'm camping, and I always take pains to gently shoo them out instead of smashing them to death for no reason. Field mice and voles, on the other hand, I absolutely loving hate with a passion. Those fuckers are ballsy. I literally watched a dude get out of his tent, and this little black shape quickly hopped into his tent before he turned around to zip it up.

Speaking of which, we had an OSHA incident at my job the other day. I mark trees for arbor crews to work on. One day, I got a call from a very irate foreman, because I didn't notice the wasps nest tucked away in the top sixty feet of a Ponderosa Pine. Apparently, the poor dude in the box truck hit the nest with his polesaw, causing a swarm of very angry wasps to attack this dude, 60 ft in the air in a box. His solution? Lay down in the box, cover his face, and chain smoke cigarettes to deter the angry wasps. I don't think it worked very well

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

A White Guy posted:

Lay down in the box, cover his face, and chain smoke cigarettes to deter the angry wasps.

He mis-remembered the manual. This is to deter angry W.A.S.P.s when you cut down their tree

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
https://i.imgur.com/wznrFYO.mp4

better with sound on

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!

Oh wait I vaguely remember the story didn't it involve someone getting dunked in molten pitch and burning to death?

What, tumblr?

I mean in a metaphorical sense sure, but...

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

A White Guy posted:

We have tarantula wasps in California. They're kind the same way, the only thing they wanna do is sting an unfortunate Tarantula (which really truly are, the cutest of ambush spiders), lay their eggs in it, and let their progeny eat it from the inside out. If you somehow manage to get one to sting you (which requires stuffing your hands into every oak tree wound and small dirt hole you can find until you hit pay dirt or more likely, another species of wasp nest), the pain is apparently absolutely debilitating but not lethal. It goes away pretty quickly.

I actually really like our native tarantula's. I've found them in my stuff while I'm camping, and I always take pains to gently shoo them out instead of smashing them to death for no reason. Field mice and voles, on the other hand, I absolutely loving hate with a passion. Those fuckers are ballsy. I literally watched a dude get out of his tent, and this little black shape quickly hopped into his tent before he turned around to zip it up.

Speaking of which, we had an OSHA incident at my job the other day. I mark trees for arbor crews to work on. One day, I got a call from a very irate foreman, because I didn't notice the wasps nest tucked away in the top sixty feet of a Ponderosa Pine. Apparently, the poor dude in the box truck hit the nest with his polesaw, causing a swarm of very angry wasps to attack this dude, 60 ft in the air in a box. His solution? Lay down in the box, cover his face, and chain smoke cigarettes to deter the angry wasps. I don't think it worked very well

smoke protects
also nicotine is an insecticide

adds up

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
You'd need a lot more nicotine than what's in a cigarette to be an insecticide.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Cojawfee posted:

You'd need a lot more nicotine than what's in a cigarette to be an insecticide.

not really. you can get nicotine poisoning just by touching wet tobacco, and back in the day people commonly made their own bug spray by grinding up tobacco in water. modern insecticides were invented partially to come up with something less toxic to humans than tobacco juice.

once cigarette wouldn't be able to kill very many bugs, but it certainly could kill some.

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

Neonicotinide (the class of insecticides synthesized on those lines) are so effective that they're implicated in colony collapse disorder.

Cable Guy
Jul 18, 2005

I don't expect any trouble, but we'll be handing these out later...

Slippery Tilde
Edit: nevermind.... Thought I saw a wasp.

Cable Guy fucked around with this message at 08:14 on May 13, 2020

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

A White Guy posted:

aka Cazadores.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

announced over the speaker in my department at work tonight:
"All associates must wear shoes at work. Repeat: all shoes must be on."
For reference: I work in an Amazon FC.

AlexanderCA
Jul 21, 2010

by Cyrano4747
20 years ago today, 7 years before I moved here for university, my city blew the gently caress up.
https://youtube.com/watch?v=_etfXcbguZw
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Enschede_fireworks_disaster?wprov=sfla1

Lessons learned: don't warehouse fireworks in a residential neighborhood, idiots.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
The spiritual successor to Enschede was DEI (motto: "Initial success or total failure")
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rktMzw2fd28

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

GotLag posted:

The spiritual successor to Enschede was DEI (motto: "Initial success or total failure")

Of course the goddamn rat supervisor made it out.

Pacra
Aug 5, 2004

GotLag posted:

drat, you don't gently caress with static electricity

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Ps, once again I have to demand goons stop breaking into my house and taking pics

Did you ever explain what was the deal with your purple crystal?

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Arrhythmia posted:

Did you ever explain what was the deal with your purple crystal?

They need you to come over and help charge it up.

eggyolk
Nov 8, 2007

This reminds me of my favorite wasp fact:
https://sussexwildlifetrust.org.uk/discover/in-your-garden/article/154

quote:

In the spring, queen wasps wake from hibernation and start to build their nest, laying eggs and raising their first brood of daughters. These worker wasps cannot produce fertilised eggs, so spend their time helping their mother to expand the nest and raise more young.

One of their main jobs is searching for soft-bodied invertebrates to feed the developing larvae. Bizarrely, adult wasps cannot digest the food they catch because their gut is so constricted by their thin ‘wasp waists’. Instead the workers chew up the prey and feed it to the larvae. In return, the larvae produce a sugar-rich spit that the workers can drink.

The colony will go on expanding throughout the summer until the queen decides to produce males and new queens. After these ‘reproductives’ have left the nest, the old queen stops laying. This means the workers no longer have access to larvae. Instead, they live on the sugar produced by rotting fruit. This can be a problem because fermenting fruit contains alcohol, so wasps can become intoxicated and rather irritating.

They are also attracted to the abundance of sweet foods that humans provide. To a starving wasp, a jam sandwich or a can of coke is just too tempting to avoid. For this reason, wasps are generally only a nuisance in late summer. Remember that these drunken workers don’t have long to live, and as soon as the winter weather sets in the entire colony will die, leaving only the new queens to hibernate through to next year.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Omnivorous flying insects are on a neverending quest to get drunk as gently caress. Got to respect them for that.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

zedprime posted:

Omnivorous flying insects are on a neverending quest to get drunk as gently caress. Got to respect them for that.

Teach them to use a keyboard and make a new generation of goons.

norton I
May 1, 2008

His Imperial Majesty Emperor Norton I

Emperor of these United States

Protector of Mexico

A White Guy posted:

Neonicotinide (the class of insecticides synthesized on those lines) are so effective that they're implicated in colony collapse disorder.

This is a common myth, this class is now mostly used as part of seed treatment, to prevent insect damage to very expensive modern seed.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

AlexanderCA posted:

20 years ago today, 7 years before I moved here for university, my city blew the gently caress up.
https://youtube.com/watch?v=_etfXcbguZw
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Enschede_fireworks_disaster?wprov=sfla1

Lessons learned: don't warehouse fireworks in a residential neighborhood, idiots.

Hey, I was still around there when you moved there. Neato!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grillster
Dec 25, 2004

:chaostrump:

Cyrano4747 posted:

Teach them to use a keyboard and make a new generation of goons.

I see your subtle attempt at a 2.5 page keyboard preference detail