Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Flopsy posted:

Just have Xehanort show up randomly while Sephiroth is doing one of his mindfuck sessions and start rambling about the true meaning of darkness while Sephiroth gets more and more pissed that this guy is stealing his negging thunder.

That...would be absolutely amazing.

And then Elidibus shows up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Werewolf of London
Feb 23, 2010

Not one step back
From my loooove~~

Harrow posted:

Actually it would kind of own if there was like a Kingdom Hearts crossover VR fight in the next one that gives you a giant Buster Sword-sized keyblade as a bonus/gimmick weapon

This is the beginning of the end of America.

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"
I really appreciate how the people going "BOOO KINGDOM HEARTS" have missed the only actual Kingdom Hearts reference in this game, which are the Moogle Medals from KHUX.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
There are a few visual things I can go "hey that looks like Kingdom Hearts" but as far as the plot goes, Final Fantasy was doing ridiculous bullshit well before it even existed. I recently played through the original with my girlfriend and got to explain the Jenova stuff firsthand and my God, it is every bit as convoluted as Xehanort.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I mean I wouldn't go that far, Jenova is pretty straightforward "cosmic horror arrives, mankind plays with forces it doesn't understand, people get infected, go insane"

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I mean I wouldn't go that far, Jenova is pretty straightforward "cosmic horror arrives, mankind plays with forces it doesn't understand, people get infected, go insane"

I think they're talking about the whole "clone" thing.

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

I told you that story so I could tell you this one...

BaDandy posted:

I think 90% of the Jenova confusion was due to bad translation.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Flopsy posted:

He has the greatest booty of them all. It's to be expected.

Aeris in this is the kind of skinny you only get from severe meth use. Like, I'm pretty thin but got dang gurl

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Booty thiccness in Final Fantasy VII Remake is a disgrace, if we're being completely honest here.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!
https://twitter.com/sefirya/status/1259974917967228928

"Not at all. You're making me sweat."

L-O-N
Sep 13, 2004

Pillbug
This is much better than the people trying to put Aerith and Tifa dresses in every cutscene.

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

i hope the next game adds some costume customization for every character

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔
I want them to add in facial hair growth like RDR 2 so Cloud can have a big blonde beard.

Werewolf of London
Feb 23, 2010

Not one step back
From my loooove~~

precision posted:

Aeris in this is the kind of skinny you only get from severe meth use. Like, I'm pretty thin but got dang gurl

Asian game. Most Asian girls I know are around her size. :iiam:

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

BaDandy posted:

That and every instance of Sephiroth up to the northern crater is Jenova pretending to be Sephiroth. Or maybe it's Sephiroth controlling Jenova to look like himself.

Like we all know what's going on after the fact, but trying to draw a through line as the game is happening is pretty hard.

The remake makes the "Sephiroth you see is not actually Sephiroth" thing explicit near the end though, since we see him turn into a clone before jumping off Shinra HQ holding Jenova. Would assume the one you actually fight at the end is the real guy though, which only makes it more confusing.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Werewolf of London posted:

Asian game. Most Asian girls I know are around her size. :iiam:

Which is ironic since the Japanese fanbase threw a piss fit over her face being too "long and western" in the remake which is loving insanity but whatevs.

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

I'm real dumb. I just watched one of those "FF7R ending explained" videos on youtube.

I thought all the stuff with Zack was just to introduce him to new players. I was a bit surprised he survived the battle with the Shinra troops and walked off with Cloud, but I just assumed he would die shortly after. I don't remember exactly how much of his death was shown in the original, and I only got halfway through Crisis Core. I knew he had to die somehow, somewhere in the near future, but didn't pick up at all that I was seeing him escape his fate.

I even noticed the different dog on the chips bag, but my brain filled in the blank with the silly and far-fetched theory that Shinra used multiple dogs in their advertising, rather than the much more obvious and down-to-earth explanation that I was viewing a scene from an alternate reality/timeline.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

And then Elidibus shows up

I imagine at that point Sephiroth would get huffy, grab Cloud by the arm and stomp off while they start having a philosophical rap battle. He's just here to here to try and seduce a hot blonde not get into this poo poo.

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"

Inferior Third Season posted:

I'm real dumb. I just watched one of those "FF7R ending explained" videos on youtube.

I thought all the stuff with Zack was just to introduce him to new players. I was a bit surprised he survived the battle with the Shinra troops and walked off with Cloud, but I just assumed he would die shortly after. I don't remember exactly how much of his death was shown in the original, and I only got halfway through Crisis Core. I knew he had to die somehow, somewhere in the near future, but didn't pick up at all that I was seeing him escape his fate.

I even noticed the different dog on the chips bag, but my brain filled in the blank with the silly and far-fetched theory that Shinra used multiple dogs in their advertising, rather than the much more obvious and down-to-earth explanation that I was viewing a scene from an alternate reality/timeline.

I think people are assuming a different timeline more because of that shot at the end where you see two timelines exist parallel to each other because Zack definitely should have died at the standoff before that and because, you know, how it's shot and how Aerith seems to be aware of Zack.

And the writers were really coy in interviews about the different dog design, so they're either semi-confirming a different timeline or they're doing that as a red herring. :shrug:

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

So, there are a couple different versions of Zack's death scene in different FF7 games. In the original, he does, indeed, die after the big showdown that you see in FF7R. In Crisis Core, though, he dies in that fight, and because the cutscene they show you is word-for-word from Crisis Core (and nearly shot-for-shot, except for the Whispers), people assume that his survival there means that he survived, since we're seeing the Crisis Core version of events.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NHmduvQ3Ze8

Stamp being a different kind of dog there is likely significant because there's a lot of attention drawn to it (both in the scene and afterwards by the developers in interviews). Maybe it's not signifying an alternate timeline specifically, but it's definitely important, and "Shinra has multiple Stamp designs" isn't important enough to foreground and tease about like that.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I can't believe we lost hound Stamp, the true tragedy :negative:

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
Basically all you need to know about Zack's death is that in all shown versions of it he gets gunned down, *then* it starts raining. Here, he's walking away as it rains.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I can't believe we lost hound Stamp, the true tragedy :negative:

Same man. :( Pour one out for ya boy Stamp.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
I was never bothered by Barret being intimidated by President Shinra holding a gun because, and I know this is a dumb video game reason, the gun was gold. I played Goldeneye when I was a kid, I know what a gold gun means.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
I really wish there had been voice overs in the first part of the museum with all the Prez Shinra memorabilia because I really wanted him to say some inspiring words about the founding of his company and this golden gun and this ash tray containing a used cigar.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Gologle posted:

I was never bothered by Barret being intimidated by President Shinra holding a gun because, and I know this is a dumb video game reason, the gun was gold. I played Goldeneye when I was a kid, I know what a gold gun means.

This is my favorite post in the thread, because it all makes sense now.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

I hope that gun reappears as a weapon for Vincent.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Vincent is just replaced by an anthropomorphic gun

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I don't really remember all the events of FF7 so all I can use is big scale events.

While everyone's running from the Midgar Serpent, Roche arrives, riding his motorcycle on it and distracting it so everyone can escape.

Aerith spends a ton of your money on gloves and a bunch of healing items at some point in the game and plays it like she got scammed but secretly also bought an angel ring in case well, Sephiroth skydives blade first at her.

She also stacks haste and arise on herself before going to the Forgotten City and does this disappearing move that Cloud pulls at the end of Remake and smashes a steel chair in his face so hard it makes a mold of it in the process.

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/709989381007736855/709996883870875758/Cloud_vs_Sephiroth.mp4

Sephiroth and Cloud go on a date on the Gold Saucer with the latter spending the most of it hyperventelating into a paper bag.

To differentiate between Zack and Cloud's play styles, Zack picks up a Magnet materia that bonds to his Buster sword so powerfully that not even Caius Ballad himself could remove it. So he's got a long and close range fighting style, doing some God of War poo poo with it coming back to his hand whenever he wants.

Here's the part I need correcting on though. I've only played Remake and am just hazily familiar with the original from reading Elentor's LP of it. As far as I know, Sephiroth's black wing only appeared in Advent Children right? Along with the Sephiroth kids? If that's all correct info it's funny watching people who streamed it shrugging off the latter while being completely silent about the wing that only shows up in Dissidia, Kingdom Hearts and Advent Children. :v:

God, I love how Kingdom Hearts this game is, it's so much fun to just throw out any theory you want and talk about it with people. Sephiroth is gonna be playable in the Nibelheim flashback? Boring, played out, we already know. What if Sephiroth joins the party for real though? Oh poo poo, that's rad as hell.

I super hope they pull an XCOM on this and a normal turn-based nothing's changed aside from a much needed translation overhaul and graphics update version comes out too like with The Bureau: XCOM Declassified and XCOM: Enemy Within.

edit: resized the mp4 because I can't get Tampermonkey to work and it was gigantic on firefox for me

RareAcumen fucked around with this message at 06:16 on May 13, 2020

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

At this stage I'm expecting in the final episode (whenever that comes out) that Sephiroth is going to be gloating and it'll look like all is lost, and then Zack and the rest of the party from the Terrier-Stamp timeline show up to help.

I genuinely think that's what this is building up to. In the same way that Holy wasn't enough in the OG and the Lifestream had to help, here the role of the Lifestream will be played by the Terrier timeline.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Agents are GO! posted:

Johnny ABSOLUTE

Edit, alternatively the beginning of One Winged Angel, but its "BRO BRO BRO BRO BRO BRO BRO BRO"

[/quote]

How many pages behind am I? Don't care. Emptyquoting this forever.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
Was anyone else expecting Kyrie to be Yuffie in disguise? Having her be a spy in Midgar would have been a good fit for the way they've changed the tone of the conflict with Wutai, but mostly she was exactly as annoying as I would've expected

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

OnimaruXLR posted:

Was anyone else expecting Kyrie to be Yuffie in disguise? Having her be a spy in Midgar would have been a good fit for the way they've changed the tone of the conflict with Wutai, but mostly she was exactly as annoying as I would've expected

I'm pretty sure they're doing that on purpose, whether it's a red herring or they'll somehow have a connection. Yuffie's theme is playing on the jukebox at the train station when Johnny tells you he was robbed.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Zarin posted:

quote:

How many pages behind am I? Don't care. Emptyquoting this forever.

***casts Superbrova***

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

No. 1 Apartheid Fan posted:

I'm pretty sure they're doing that on purpose, whether it's a red herring or they'll somehow have a connection. Yuffie's theme is playing on the jukebox at the train station when Johnny tells you he was robbed.

Kyrie(and Leslie) are from a novel, she’s not Yuffie.

gredgie
Dec 9, 2012

Is there any in this rout
with authority to treat with me?
Yeah, plus if anything Yuffie's theme playing at the mention of being robbed is a sort of "get it, because that's what she likes to do too" motiff.

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"

RareAcumen posted:

Here's the part I need correcting on though. I've only played Remake and am just hazily familiar with the original from reading Elentor's LP of it. As far as I know, Sephiroth's black wing only appeared in Advent Children right? Along with the Sephiroth kids? If that's all correct info it's funny watching people who streamed it shrugging off the latter while being completely silent about the wing that only shows up in Dissidia, Kingdom Hearts and Advent Children. :v:

Well, and the Safer Sephiroth boss fight, and both the image and the name of the boss theme stuck so hard that the one-winged thing was just kept. That's even a plot point in Crisis Core with Angeal and Genesis.

RareAcumen posted:

Sephiroth and Cloud go on a date on the Gold Saucer with the latter spending the most of it hyperventelating into a paper bag.

I really like the implication that Sephiroth is treating it as a normal date. Just staring out the window at the fireworks and going :allears:

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I regret to inform you that the new Unreal Engine 5 tech demo featured a "slowly squeeze through a tight spot to hide asset loading" moment so we can expect those to continue in FF7R parts 2 and beyond

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

I guess it's preferable to Red Dead 2's "Ten straight minutes of load screen up front in exchange for no load times during the game"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.

Harrow posted:

I regret to inform you that the new Unreal Engine 5 tech demo featured a "slowly squeeze through a tight spot to hide asset loading" moment so we can expect those to continue in FF7R parts 2 and beyond

But literally just moments later an entire canyon was streamed in and flown past