Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

droll
Jan 9, 2020

by Azathoth
Why is creating soda ash difficult? One just bakes baking soda in the oven, right? Did you wear gloves when handling?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

droll posted:

Why is creating soda ash difficult? One just bakes baking soda in the oven, right? Did you wear gloves when handling?

It's just time consuming and I'm impatient. Doing the full amount in the recipe takes 2-5 hours. We only baked 30g and it still took like 2.5 hours to get to the right weight.

Resting Lich Face
Feb 21, 2019

This case of an intraperitoneal zucchini is unusual, and does raise questions as to how hard one has to push a blunt vegetable to perforate the rectum.

charliebravo77 posted:

Made some ramen for dinner. Started the noodles (https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2020/04/easy-ramen-noodles.html) last night, then tonight made a soup base from turkey stock made with thanksgiving's bones, dashi, miso, etc. Cooked some pork belly sous vide then crisped and glazed it in the bag juice, agave and soy sauce. Also started some soy eggs the other day for tonight. Had some mushrooms that needed to be used so sauteed them with some onion and seasoned with togarashi. Not exactly authentic, but tasted great.

Bakedbaking soda is kind of a pain in the dick and it smells weird, but the noodles had that classic ramen bite to them so I guess I can't argue with the results of making your own caustic powders at home.

Mad props. Ramen at home including the noodles is some hardcore poo poo. Good job :hai:

Olpainless
Jun 30, 2003
... Insert something brilliantly witty here.

charliebravo77 posted:

Made some ramen for dinner. Started the noodles (https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2020/04/easy-ramen-noodles.html) last night, then tonight made a soup base from turkey stock made with thanksgiving's bones, dashi, miso, etc. Cooked some pork belly sous vide then crisped and glazed it in the bag juice, agave and soy sauce. Also started some soy eggs the other day for tonight. Had some mushrooms that needed to be used so sauteed them with some onion and seasoned with togarashi. Not exactly authentic, but tasted great.

Bakedbaking soda is kind of a pain in the dick and it smells weird, but the noodles had that classic ramen bite to them so I guess I can't argue with the results of making your own caustic powders at home.

That is absolutely incredible, and those photos are beautiful. Nice.

Pantsmaster Bill
May 7, 2007

mystes posted:

Coincidentally I failed to make some bao last night (I think there was a mistake in the amount of flour in the recipe I was using and they were a bit too doughy after steaming).

I made homemade hoisin sauce and sous vide chicken thighs which turned out fine, so it was okay without the bao although I was disappointed.

I used this recipe and it worked out OK, but the dough was very sticky and hard to work with. Not sure if that’s how it’s supposed to be but it worked out OK.

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

draw me like one of your French Canadian girls
That ramen looks fantastic

blixa
Jan 9, 2006

Kein bestandteil sein

charliebravo77 posted:

That looks insanely amazing.

What sort of pasta cutter are you using?

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

blixa posted:

That looks insanely amazing.

What sort of pasta cutter are you using?

Marcato Design 8320 Atlas 150 https://amzn.to/35QQ4jP
It comes with the fettucini & spaghetti/tagliolini cutter attachment, but you can get all sorts of shape cutters for it including one for ravioli that looks intriguing.

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy
Buttermilk-battered fried pickles with homemade cajun sauce and homemade tzatziki.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
I made some vaguely bulgogi-ish tofu:

It would have been nice with scallions and kimchi too but I was in a hurry! The pickles are from last week, just basic with the addition of some szechuan peppercorns and a little bit of star anise.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
That tofu looks great. Is that a whole rear end cherry tomato on the sandwich, or just cut side down?

Aloo shimla mirch ki sabzi, aka potato and green bell pepper still fry:

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

TychoCelchuuu posted:

That tofu looks great. Is that a whole rear end cherry tomato on the sandwich, or just cut side down?

Sliced in half, although I did just eat a bunch of them whole while the tofu was cooking.

blixa
Jan 9, 2006

Kein bestandteil sein

charliebravo77 posted:

Marcato Design 8320 Atlas 150 https://amzn.to/35QQ4jP
It comes with the fettucini & spaghetti/tagliolini cutter attachment, but you can get all sorts of shape cutters for it including one for ravioli that looks intriguing.

Nice, thank you. "In stock, delivery July" - oh well, no rush.

To contribute, made some pizza. Only one I took a pic of, so frigging good.

Resting Lich Face
Feb 21, 2019

This case of an intraperitoneal zucchini is unusual, and does raise questions as to how hard one has to push a blunt vegetable to perforate the rectum.

Slider night!

Patties made with an egg, oyster sauce, minced garlic, and panko on kings Hawaiian rolls with gochujang mayonnaise and arugula marinated in rice wine vinegar and mirin.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Ravioli Boscaiola

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

draw me like one of your French Canadian girls

How Wonderful! posted:

I made some vaguely bulgogi-ish tofu:

It would have been nice with scallions and kimchi too but I was in a hurry! The pickles are from last week, just basic with the addition of some szechuan peppercorns and a little bit of star anise.

this looks great, got a rundown of what you did??

I have been craving pulled pork. I did a dry rub and then made some vinegar sauce for the sandwiches. Served with some homemade hot garlic pickles

Resting Lich Face
Feb 21, 2019

THE MACHO MAN posted:

I have been craving pulled pork. I did a dry rub and then made some vinegar sauce for the sandwiches. Served with some homemade hot garlic pickles

:hellyeah:

large hands
Jan 24, 2006
Using up the homemade kimchi in some spicy stew with tofu and daikon.

toplitzin posted:

Ravioli Boscaiola

Is that the serious eats boscaiola recipe? Love that stuff.

CaptainCrunch
Mar 19, 2006
droppin Hamiltons!

I, too, am preparing the ingredients for ramen. Including noodles, just baked some sodium bicarbonate in the oven to kitbash some kansui. I used the offcuts from the chashu cook to make chashu fried rice, as is appropriate. I’m approaching the point in my quarantine grocery cycle where the fresh veg is wither consumed or turning so I may be out of green onion when the ramen is ready.

Thoht
Aug 3, 2006

I think it's worth it to just buy a bottle of Koon Chun Lye Water. It'll last you pretty much forever.

CaptainCrunch
Mar 19, 2006
droppin Hamiltons!

Thoht posted:

I think it's worth it to just buy a bottle of Koon Chun Lye Water. It'll last you pretty much forever.

I would have absolutely done that had, you know, I had easy access and wasn’t locked down.

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

I made braised chicken drumsticks with onions, mushrooms, capers, and carrots in a white wine sauce. Seasoned with garlic, lemongrass, thyme, rosemary, and lemon. I seasoned the chicken with salt pepper and ancho chili powder.

It could have gone better. I should I used more lemon. The chicken skin wasn’t crispy enough because I smoked my basement apartment out and took it off early. The carrots were sliced a little big.

It’s fine, whatever. It was fun to make!

I’ve been watching poo poo loads of iron chef and chopped during quarantine. This is my first time braising and the recipe is based on like 3-4 I found online and random poo poo off my spice rack that sounded good.

Oh and I tried to thicken the sauce with cornstarch but it didn’t work because ???? I’m not sure if I didn’t use enough or reduce for long enough or what. Was still soaked up great by bread.

Arrgytehpirate fucked around with this message at 14:10 on May 13, 2020

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

THE MACHO MAN posted:

Sure, lately I've been really enjoying tofu with various kind of sticky, thickish glaze-like sauces since it gets loss soggy and requires very little effort if I'm cooking for my wife and me in the middle of the day. It's kind of loosely adapted from Chris Morocco's soy glazed tofu recipe here. He has you pan-fry the tofu but I prefer to bake it before finishing it off in a pan, I think the texture is just a little more dense and hearty, but if you like a really nice dramatic crust you can follow him more closely.

Basically I press it for a full hour then slice it thin enough that it's mostly surface area with enough depth to be a little chewy in the middle, then toss it with a little bit of salt, tamari or soy sauce, then toss it in the oven at 390-400 for fifteen minutes, then five more after being flipped.

The sauce is a big healthy glob of gochujang, some gochugaru, about 1/2 tsp of brown sugar, and then whisk in water a little bit at a time until the sauce is thick without being viscuous. Then I dump everything into a pan with whatever neutral oil is out, heated enough so that the tofu immediately starts to sizzle a bit. If the sauce is still a bit runny I'll shake in a little corn-starch, otherwise I mix it all together with a pinch of ground szechuan peppercorn, spooning the sauce over the tofu as it thickens. This is pretty adaptable-- I've messed around with versions with adobo sauce, harissa, and Bryant Terry's pomegranate bbq sauce and I've been really happy with it every time.

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy
Tonight I present a breaded chicken tender sandwich with honey mustard on my semi-pretzel roll, and coleslaw.

I wanted both red and green cabbage, so I bought both, and now I have an ENORMOUS, HUGE, UNBELIEVABLE amount of shredded cabbage in my refrigerator. It fills a 2.5-gallon Hefty freezer bag. If anyone in the Detroit area wants fresh, pre-shredded cabbage, hit me up. Hell, you can have the rest of the dressing I made, too.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Arrgytehpirate posted:

I seasoned the chicken with salt pepper and nacho chili powder.
Should this be "ancho chili powder"? Or is "nacho chili powder" a thing?

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

mystes posted:

Yeah, good catch.

Thoht
Aug 3, 2006

CaptainCrunch posted:

I would have absolutely done that had, you know, I had easy access and wasn’t locked down.

Haha, yeah sorry. It was more of a "if you want to keep making ramen, this will make your life easier" kind of thing but that wasn't really clear.

Raikiri
Nov 3, 2008

mystes posted:

Nacho chilli powder sounds pretty bomb though, as a popcorn seasoning or something.

CaptainCrunch
Mar 19, 2006
droppin Hamiltons!

Thoht posted:

Haha, yeah sorry. It was more of a "if you want to keep making ramen, this will make your life easier" kind of thing but that wasn't really clear.

Fair enough! I also have an absolutely massive box of baking soda so the conversion wasn't exactly onerous. Don't have a pasta cutter so it's all going to be hand cut as well.
Roghin' it!

Fenris13
Jun 6, 2003

Raikiri posted:

Nacho chilli powder sounds pretty bomb though, as a popcorn seasoning or something.

https://store.kernelseasons.com/cheesy-jalapeno-popcorn-seasoning

That is pretty close, and I can't imagine anyone being shocked by its existence.

Raikiri
Nov 3, 2008

Fenris13 posted:

https://store.kernelseasons.com/cheesy-jalapeno-popcorn-seasoning

That is pretty close, and I can't imagine anyone being shocked by its existence.

We don't seem to get any of this kind of thing in the UK.

Edit: Actually I have found this brand, although not this specific flavour... £7-8, so $10-11. What a rip off.

Raikiri fucked around with this message at 21:17 on May 13, 2020

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Nutritional yeast is the one true popcorn seasoning.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I used to go to the movies at a little arthouse cinema and their popcorn nook always had a thing of curry powder, which was revelatory for me. When I make popcorn now I either go with curry powder or a few shakes of Tajin or whatever other brand of chile lime seasoning I have around.

Resting Lich Face
Feb 21, 2019

Curry powder is one of humanity's greatest inventions. Up there with running water and electricity.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

How Wonderful! posted:

I used to go to the movies at a little arthouse cinema and their popcorn nook always had a thing of curry powder, which was revelatory for me. When I make popcorn now I either go with curry powder or a few shakes of Tajin or whatever other brand of chile lime seasoning I have around.

Guh now I need more curry powder. I COULD order from Penzeys, but then I'd need to get like 5 other things for free shipping. When there's one right in town 15 minutes away but closed cuz of Everything. Dangit.

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

Manuel Calavera posted:

Guh now I need more curry powder. I COULD order from Penzeys, but then I'd need to get like 5 other things for free shipping. When there's one right in town 15 minutes away but closed cuz of Everything. Dangit.

I don't know where they're all doing it, but they have started store pickup here in the Milwaukee area, but it's where they're headquartered. their emails have said it's gone well so far so maybe they will start doing it in other areas soon?

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I went for a walk this afternoon and discovered that the Vietnamese grocery down the street is open again so my spice game has been revitalized.

Seven Hundred Bee
Nov 1, 2006

pizza!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Resting Lich Face
Feb 21, 2019

Tried some plating to compensate for my lovely photography.

Chicken saltimbocca with sauteed greens, roasted potatos, and a lemon caper pan sauce.