Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arven
Sep 23, 2007
I had a PCGamer from 1998 that had like a 6 page preview of EQ, and it promised all that stuff in the base game lol

One thing that sticks in my mind is that they said guilds would be able to build their own castles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Meatgrinder posted:

Because, from a coding standpoint they were just winging it.

I mean, the xp needed to level is hardcoded into the client. Halflings got the racial xp bonus meant for humans. Boats are just big mobs with a heavy item encumbering them. Someone greenlit gnomes.

They were just trying to get poo poo to work and no one was holding them to any standards.

I specifically remember one of the patches introduced a bug that made the boat player targetable, druids/shamans could hot-rod the boat with a strength buff and spirit of the wolf to make it go absurdly fast.

Doing that also broke the boat's timing when you zoned between Ocean of Tears / TD and it would dump you in the water at the next zone line with no boat in sight. It was such a persistent problem that they straight up removed the boats at one point and put in translocators at all the docks to take you to the next step.

nyclin
Jun 19, 2001

Pathos posted:

Oh, god, I do vaguely remember that. Did anyone in this thread ever actually experience this? I’m sure it was a total disaster but given that I haven’t thought about this in decades I’m curious how bad it actually was.

I played on Stormhammer for a while during mid-late Luclin. They did have more frequent GM events, but most of them were throwaways with little/no rewards. The "better customer service" really just came down to having it be the "home" server for all of the GMs and leads. You'd get a quicker response and the initial response would come from a full-fledged GM instead of a volunteer Guide, so there was no waiting for escalations.

The best part about the server was being able to transfer no-drop items, which was totally unintended but they basically had no way to police it. Transfer a char to Stormhammer with the gear you want to move, kill it in Bazaar/wherever, request a transfer off of the server, then create a level 1 with the name of the char you want to move the gear to. Transfer the target char to SH, it gets renamed due to duplicate names, then delete the level 1 and request a rename to match the name on the corpse with the nodrop gear. Boom, you can loot the entire corpse.

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006

DeathSandwich posted:

I specifically remember one of the patches introduced a bug that made the boat player targetable, druids/shamans could hot-rod the boat with a strength buff and spirit of the wolf to make it go absurdly fast.

Doing that also broke the boat's timing when you zoned between Ocean of Tears / TD and it would dump you in the water at the next zone line with no boat in sight. It was such a persistent problem that they straight up removed the boats at one point and put in translocators at all the docks to take you to the next step.

Supposedly at one point rogues could also pickpocket the immensely heavy rock that overencumbered the boat, which had the same effect.

diapermeat
Feb 10, 2009

Pathos posted:

Oh, god, I do vaguely remember that. Did anyone in this thread ever actually experience this? I’m sure it was a total disaster but given that I haven’t thought about this in decades I’m curious how bad it actually was.

quote:

Congratulations! You have been accepted for membership in the EverQuest Legends service. We hope you're looking forward to the exciting new adventures that await you. The EverQuest Legends team is currently hard at work planning all the new content for Legends, but we'd like to take a moment to update you on the status of the server, and some important issues relating to its upcoming launch.

I sat on the subscribe button on their webpage a few times, but never did try it.

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013
I was under the impression that Legends had frequent GM events and custom items. honestly I'm broke-brained enough that I'd pay for that if SOE/Daybreak/Fippy Darkpaw Games/whatever they call themselves now if they had the balls to do a server where they inhaled $30/mo + whale money and blew it all back out on GM events.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

I thought Legends was just a way to bilk you for more money and give you insane items. One guy transferred to Sullon Zek from Legends despite the ban and had insane gear but knew gently caress all about PVP and got wrecked

Relayer
Sep 18, 2002
Don't be too harsh on that legends server, they might have honestly had good intentions with it. Probably not, but maybe!

nyclin
Jun 19, 2001

After my time there they apparently started doing a ton of GM events and giving out titles left and right. During my time (mid Luclin, quit right after my guild hit VT), the only unique content was Marauder's Mire which was basically just Erud's Crossing with a unique mob set (zombie pirates). A friend of mine got a drop from Marauder's Mire that was considered special, and the item was eventually renamed as Gorum's Ashen Phoenix Aegis: https://everquest.allakhazam.com/db/item.html?item=12555

Not really a unique item since it existed prior to my friend getting it, but kinda neat in the grand scheme.

There might have been events that I missed because I was a super neckbeard and spent most of my time grinding AA in Fungal Grove or The Deep.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

Meatgrinder posted:

Because, from a coding standpoint they were just winging it.

I mean, the xp needed to level is hardcoded into the client. Halflings got the racial xp bonus meant for humans. Boats are just big mobs with a heavy item encumbering them. Someone greenlit gnomes.

They were just trying to get poo poo to work and no one was holding them to any standards.

How about the fact that the boats in OOT went the wrong direction? That was always a fun bug.

And on live, the classic boats don't even work anymore! Yet some of the later expansions brought back a couple of boats, they never did fix the originals (and you just have the translocators).

Slapdash
Mar 30, 2010
Boats are fascinating in EQ just from how wrong they must have been implemented to begin with. So much so that it was a big deal in the emulator community that P99 actually got something resembling the original boats working. You would think that an object that moves on a pre-defined track wouldn’t be that much of a challenge given all of the other technical challenges they overcame.

Nope. A big mob with a rock in its pocket was the best way.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

That reminds me of the Fallout 3 Tram work around that Bethesda had.

https://www.pcgamer.com/heres-whats-happening-inside-fallout-3s-metro-train/

With EQ way earlier and potentially more limited I imagine theres a bunch of weird work arounds like their boats.

Edit: One thing I always liked in early EQ is how you can tell they started with Qeynos and worked eastward. Qeynos area through High keep is full of so many weird, later abandoned ideas like those message boards.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Slapdash posted:

Boats are fascinating in EQ just from how wrong they must have been implemented to begin with. So much so that it was a big deal in the emulator community that P99 actually got something resembling the original boats working. You would think that an object that moves on a pre-defined track wouldn’t be that much of a challenge given all of the other technical challenges they overcame.

I don't think I've ever played an MMO where boats weren't hosed up in some major way.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist

Sankis posted:

That reminds me of the Fallout 3 Tram work around that Bethesda had.

https://www.pcgamer.com/heres-whats-happening-inside-fallout-3s-metro-train/

With EQ way earlier and potentially more limited I imagine theres a bunch of weird work arounds like their boats.

Edit: One thing I always liked in early EQ is how you can tell they started with Qeynos and worked eastward. Qeynos area through High keep is full of so many weird, later abandoned ideas like those message boards.

Oh poo poo, I forgot all about those message boards! Did that system ever really work? As a fresh newbie on Live I think I remember posting something there but not seeing it show up.

Anarch
Feb 22, 2011

In the midnight hour...

A Strange Aeon posted:

Oh poo poo, I forgot all about those message boards! Did that system ever really work? As a fresh newbie on Live I think I remember posting something there but not seeing it show up.

People used them for guild recruitment, buy/sell sheets, travel logs and *other* things.

Arven
Sep 23, 2007
Does anyone else remember the rooms in most inns being locked, and you could buy room keys from the innkeeper? I don't think it was for a quest because the keys were really expensive. I was 12 in 1999 so there is a chance I imagined this.

PyRosflam
Aug 11, 2007
The good, The bad, Im the one with the gun.

Vargs posted:

I don't think I've ever played an MMO where boats weren't hosed up in some major way.

When Death Knights came out in WoW they could death grip you accross the world.

dromal phrenia
Feb 22, 2004

Things like the boat being encumbered with a rock and FO3's man-tram are always so fun to read about. Didn't WoW have something where any and all scripted events were based on the slaughter of invisible bunnies?

PyRosflam
Aug 11, 2007

dromal phrenia posted:

Things like the boat being encumbered with a rock and FO3's man-tram are always so fun to read about. Didn't WoW have something where any and all scripted events were based on the slaughter of invisible bunnies?

WoW used armies of them for all kinds of trigger effects. Like Onxy's tail swipe is a bunch of bunnys located under the tail type stuff.

AOE effects where the most common because they needed something to exist in the world to cast it.

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006
Yeah, if I remember correctly pretty much all of WoW quests besides "gather Y quest items" are mechanically "kill quests," even ones that aren't explicitly "Kill X mobs." Zones would have invisible bunnies that would die if you got too close, whose death would trigger "success" of the quest (which was actually keyed on killing said invisible bunny). I'm not sure if they ever moved away from that. I'm guessing they did, but who knows.

PyRosflam
Aug 11, 2007

Dick Burglar posted:

Yeah, if I remember correctly pretty much all of WoW quests besides "gather Y quest items" are mechanically "kill quests," even ones that aren't explicitly "Kill X mobs." Zones would have invisible bunnies that would die if you got too close, whose death would trigger "success" of the quest (which was actually keyed on killing said invisible bunny). I'm not sure if they ever moved away from that. I'm guessing they did, but who knows.

That one is gone, But mechnically your correct. Quest items often in classic only had a % chance to spawn on a creature. Some of them were really stupid like Zebra Hoofs and things like that. This is all stuff that came from the EQ world of game design where nothing was absolute.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

I'm pretty sure that's how League of Legends worked when I played it. Every entity in the game could only be a structure, hero, or creep and so spell effects like an exploding AOE were a bunch of invis creeps.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Groovelord Neato posted:

I'm pretty sure that's how League of Legends worked when I played it. Every entity in the game could only be a structure, hero, or creep and so spell effects like an exploding AOE were a bunch of invis creeps.

A lot of games have something similar under the hood, since it's easier and cleaner to simply reuse the code you have for triggering a spell effect on an actor versus creating entirely new code to trigger a spell effect at a location without a "target."

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Slapdash posted:

I've never heard of this and it's cracking me up.

Relayer
Sep 18, 2002
That huge kunark boat was the coolest god drat thing I had ever seen when it launched and I loved every buggy second of it

Themoor
May 15, 2020
I kinda wanna play on green but i think i might wait for kunark to come out.

Pathos
Sep 8, 2000

A Strange Aeon posted:

Wait, message boards?! In EQ? The only message boards I can think of are those 200x200 pixel monstrosities in some inns. Those actually had a function?

Christ this is unearthing some reaaaaaally old memories. I have an extremely vague memory of seeing some sort of message board somewhere in EQ but, honestly, I’m not even sure that’s true. I haven’t thought about this in so long.

I never even got that far in EQ at release. I rolled a Warrior back in 2000 because I was an idiot and burned out in Desert of Ro at like level 14 because it was so goddamn boring. But for some reason I’ve always loved the game. Go figure.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Pathos posted:

Wait, message boards?! In EQ? The only message boards I can think of are those 200x200 pixel monstrosities in some inns. Those actually had a function?

Christ this is unearthing some reaaaaaally old memories. I have an extremely vague memory of seeing some sort of message board somewhere in EQ but, honestly, I’m not even sure that’s true. I haven’t thought about this in so long.

I never even got that far in EQ at release. I rolled a Warrior back in 2000 because I was an idiot and burned out in Desert of Ro at like level 14 because it was so goddamn boring. But for some reason I’ve always loved the game. Go figure.

Starting out brand new and playing a warrior sounds like an absolute nightmare. I do appreciate how EQ didn’t give a gently caress about making every class playable solo like you find in most games nowadays. Soloing a pure melee in early EQ is probably one of the worst game experiences you can dream up.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

On live, back in the era that P99 is portraying, those pixel monstrosities had their own UI and stuff when you clicked on them. I don't think it supported replies or anything, just posts. I imagine that when the qeynos side of the world was being developed they had grand ideas of people using them to advertise creating services or whatever.

Edit: I think the furthest west these message boards exist is Highleep. It feels very much like an idea abandoned early on but not removed for years later.

Edit 2: There may have been one in the EK docks inn, though I can't remember. Inns are another thing they seemed to have grand ideas for early on. It's all very MUD and tabletop inspired stuff.

Sankis fucked around with this message at 12:35 on May 19, 2020

Philonius
Jun 12, 2005

Yeah, I definitely remember those were functional when I first played.

Relayer
Sep 18, 2002
I'd assume those message boards are a holdover from Ultima Online, since EQ was basically a direct successor to that game, and UO had a pretty robust messaging system at town banks. PK's having cumulative bounties on their heads from their victims donating money to get somebody to loving kill that rear end in a top hat, and you could literally kill the offending player and cut his head off and turn it in for hard cash was one of the coolest aspects of pre-trammel UO.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Balls to you and your way of mortal opinions - you don't exist anyway!
Fun Shoe

Relayer posted:

I'd assume those message boards are a holdover from Ultima Online, since EQ was basically a direct successor to that game, and UO had a pretty robust messaging system at town banks. PK's having cumulative bounties on their heads from their victims donating money to get somebody to loving kill that rear end in a top hat, and you could literally kill the offending player and cut his head off and turn it in for hard cash was one of the coolest aspects of pre-trammel UO.

All of which was a holdover from MUDs and even BBSs with door games. EQ has as much or more direct influence from those, though it definitely took some cues from UO as well.

Relayer
Sep 18, 2002

aparmenideanmonad posted:

All of which was a holdover from MUDs and even BBSs with door games. EQ has as much or more direct influence from those, though it definitely took some cues from UO as well.

Agreed, they were both ultimately rooted to earlier iterations

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

I don't know what you guys are talking about. Life didn't exist before UO.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist
How long had UO been out before EQ started development? I knew UO was first, but my memory made them basically contemporary.

moolchaba
Jul 21, 2007
I remember accessing the Tavern or Inn message board in Qeynos. It was sort of glitchy and cumbersome to find anything in.

I remember trying to type something in response to some Guild recruiting thread and my message never showed up. I never bothered with it again since you could just go to one of the message boards through any number of EverQuest information websites.

Meatgrinder
Jul 11, 2003

Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est
What I think is amazing is that so much information is just lost. You'll see people trying to emulate the original stages of the game and, even as far as Luclin and PoP, have to guess where mobs were, what they dropped, how quests worked... All there is, at times, is random posts on old message boards detailing some aspect of the game back then, which is basically coding your server based on hearsay.

Not to mention stuff like the original client and interface, which were basically just patched out of existence. Hell, even WoW can't run the original base game for that very reason.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

A Strange Aeon posted:

How long had UO been out before EQ started development? I knew UO was first, but my memory made them basically contemporary.

They came out about 2 years apart. EQ would have had most of its systems in by that time. No telling how much Verant knew beforehand since the games' studios were 1000+ miles from each other and with this being before you could just Google a game's complete development while it's still in alpha.

cryptoclastic
Jul 3, 2003

The Jesus
I somehow stumbled across a YouTube channel of a guy playing (Flatts) and got the itch to play some EQ.

I also just got my first new computer in 10 years, and it’s a new MacBook Air. From what I’ve seen you can’t install Project99 on a Mac. Is my best method to install Windows on the Mac and go from there?

Also, are there any other fun YouTube LP style channels that anyone can recommend?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Relayer posted:

EQ was not a direct successor to UO in any way, shape, or form. They were in development at the same time