Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

Is there a big difference in the MG RX-78 kits? I'm looking to do something different from my normal model building and really like the original series stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

The Origin kit has a cool shoulder cannon and doesn't have the Core Fighter.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

EdsTeioh posted:

Is there a big difference in the MG RX-78 kits? I'm looking to do something different from my normal model building and really like the original series stuff.

There's only 3 worth buying at this point and which one you want depends more on personal preference.

Ver. 2.0: Closest to original anime look. Has all the classic weapons.
Ver. 3.0: More panel lines and "modern" looking. Just has basic weapons.
The Origin: Balance between classic and modern. Has manga original weapons.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Since Bandai's official LEDs are loving terrible, I had given up on lighting my kits. However I ordered some magnetic lights from GundamLED with the money I was saving to spend on holiday before the world went to poo poo, two months later they showed up today.

Here is what came in the box:

The five lights I ordered and a magnet to turn them on and off. I was worried about telling them apart but they helpfully have 3D printed 'collars' around the actual LED so you can tell them apart.

They're a little smaller than Bandai's LEDs so I was a little worried about how they would fit, but they actually fit perfectly in the standard chest slot that the Jesta and the Origin RX-78-2 have. I had a little trouble with the GN Drive in the Dynames, one half of it has some ridges designed for holding the LED however these don't have slots to go with them. A little snipping and sanding and I managed to make it fit, although it is a little loose.

The switches/magnet are powerful enough that in models like the Jesta where the LED is under the neck you can turn them on and off without having to take the head off. However I couldn't manage this with the Dynames since the GN drive is in the chest, so you still need to take that out.

Demo of the LED and it's lighting modes in my Jesta:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CBcV4nxWFmc

And all my compatible kits lit up, forgot to remove the stickers on the sensors on the RX-78-2, so it's just the eyes.
Saving the blue LED for my Hi-Nu Ver. Ka when I eventually get around to building it.

EDIT: This would all look better in the dark, I now realise. Maybe I'll take another picture tonight.

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

RillAkBea posted:

There's only 3 worth buying at this point and which one you want depends more on personal preference.

Ver. 2.0: Closest to original anime look. Has all the classic weapons.
Ver. 3.0: More panel lines and "modern" looking. Just has basic weapons.
The Origin: Balance between classic and modern. Has manga original weapons.

Rad; exactly the sort of info I wanted. The rest of them are trash?

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

EdsTeioh posted:

Rad; exactly the sort of info I wanted. The rest of them are trash?

The kits older than the 2.0 are very much products of their time and don't really offer anything that the 2.0/3.0/Origin do better.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Just very old from what I gather. Even the Ver. Ka kit doesn't even have a full inner frame.

Looking through Dalong, there are four kits that came out before the 2.0:

Original MG
1.5 version
Ver. Ka
Something based on a PS2 game I think?

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

The ps2 one is called the OYW version and for my money, it's the best one in terms of possibility and proportions. The other's just don't have the right balance for me.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

That Gobbo posted:

Crossposting here since gunpla!

RED MAKES IT GO FASTA.

Make sure there is lots of red.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Welp I waited too long giving myself a B-day gift and now most stuff I wanted was Out of Stock. :suicide:

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!
Finally finished combining my FM Lupus Rex with the MG Barbatos:

I love the way it turned out, and it was a lot easier to do than I expected. Ended up buying a second Rex because I couldn't find the missing parts I needed, but it was worth it.

He looks like an absolute monster next to the regular Mg Barbatos:

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

New PB stuff today.

https://twitter.com/figsoku_r/status/1260345046793981952?s=20

https://twitter.com/figsoku_r/status/1260345616372101120?s=20

https://twitter.com/figsoku_r/status/1260346158221647872?s=20

I'm honestly surprised they put out a Jupiter Empire kit and doubly surprised it was that one in particular. The Full-Cloth/Cross is just a recolor but it sure as hell took them long enough to do it. Also, Night Seeker is super rad and somehow manages to be more exciting than the other 2 despite being yet another GM variant because it's rad.

Also, not out yet but they revealed the next G-Unit kit. (Turns out it wasn't Geminus 02)
https://twitter.com/figsoku_r/status/1260376010488287233?s=20

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

WTF is that first one from, it looks like a Gundam take on an Angel from Evangelion.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

long-rear end nips Diane posted:

WTF is that first one from, it looks like a Gundam take on an Angel from Evangelion.

It's from Crossbone Gundam: Steel Seven. All the antagonist suits are a little derpy in Crossbone but this is definitely one of the weirdest.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

It is apparently the Dictus, from some Crossbone manga

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak

It's loving sick is what it is.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Honestly, I thought it was a digimon at first.

Crossbone Gundam designs other than the main pirate Gundam feel like the kind of thing that the guy who built the Zakrello would make fun of.

It's interesting, because there's kind of a spectrum of enemies in a mech show. On one end, you have Votoms, where the bad guy has a Scopedog, but in a different color. On the other end, you have whatever the gently caress Doctor Hell had designed on his last bender.

Most of the time, Gundam falls in the middle, with G leaning goofier and IBO leaning more towards obvious design families. Crossbone, meanwhile, goes DEEP Doctor Hell, but treats the designs as completely normal and effective. (Seriously, those designs do not say "Resource starved".)

Banjo Kaczynski
Jul 26, 2016

watch as I pass you by
What colour should I use to panel line a Zaku II? I've got the standard black/grey/brown markers and paints.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

chiasaur11 posted:

Honestly, I thought it was a digimon at first.

I was wondering which Angel that was.

Banjo Kaczynski posted:

What colour should I use to panel line a Zaku II? I've got the standard black/grey/brown markers and paints.

Try brown first, then gray. If those don't work for you, black will go over them nicely.

mllaneza fucked around with this message at 08:05 on May 13, 2020

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

Banjo Kaczynski posted:

You can never really go wrong with Black. I've used the grey on any white or bright colored panels. Given the color tones of the Zaku I agree you should start with the brown and see how it appears.

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004

Gripweed posted:

It is apparently the Dictus, from some Crossbone manga

Hello future nightmare

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
So is the RG Unicorn Gundam as good as it looks?

Slanderer
May 6, 2007
I think some of the RG Unicorn joints are finicky at first, especially the arm frames? Enough that there are 3rd party replacement molded arm parts for sale on ebay:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/for-Bandai-RG-1-144-RX-0-Unicorn-Gundam-Gunpla-Arm-Replace-Repair-Part-B8-B9-/113863906089

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Before the Unicorn the Gundam MK2 was considered the best kit. Unicorn blew it out of the water.
And then they proved that the RG line wasn't just for show when they released the Nu Gundam.

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010
the RG unicorn is really good, the transformation gimmick is well done. Absolutely the best RG that uses a pre-molded inner frame, imo.

But yeah, you have to be more careful than average when first breaking in the premolded shoulder/arm joints. They're the most common point of failure. Hold close to the joint you're moving, do it before attaching the armor.

I've managed to build 3 rg unicorn variants without breaking it, and I'm a moron, so it's totally possible.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Man, I feel like am getting a whole lot of RGs over MGs, but they are reasonably priced for the most part, and my local store seems to have a better selection of them than the MGs.

Also, is the RG Johnny Ridden's Zaku II a good Zaku II?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
It uses the 2010 RG Zaku inner frame, but it has some simplified parts for the sake of sturdiness. It can't pull off the insane leg bends as the RG Zaku due to the bulk of the lower legs and it lacks the extreme forward toe bend, but it otherwise is a very solid kit to make up for it's more fragile interior.

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord
Bought a bunch of stuff from Newtype over the weekend, and decided to snag a MG Dynames 'cause it was on sale. Was flipping through the manual and checking out the parts when I saw the pilot figure is holding a tiny Haro and my heart melted.

Then I started thinking, drat it would be cool if there was a tiny cockpit Haro. Probably can't expect detailing like that on this scale though.. wait a gently caress. What's that?

They actually did it. They molded a teeny tiny Haro inside the cockpit piece. (Looks kinda angry in this picture though..)

Maybe I've just been inside too long, but this is the happiest I've ever been in.. how long have we been in quarantine? Whatever. Everything is right with the world because I have the tiniest Haro in existence inside this kit. :kimchi:

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Some robots arrived!

https://imgur.com/a/LCvYeAY

So for these next 2 there's gonna be a point where the album tells you to stop, at that time watch the youtube video below the album and then return to it.

https://imgur.com/a/6LBDZLS
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ktoCcJCFl0o
https://imgur.com/a/BNUGmPu
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=weLdkoSOupI

Slanderer
May 6, 2007
I had the same reaction when building the Figure Rise Haro. I knew there was a smaller haro inside, but what I didn't realize was that there was a TINY haro molded inside the small yaro, in a place you'll only ever seen once during assembly and then never again lol

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Slanderer posted:

I had the same reaction when building the Figure Rise Haro. I knew there was a smaller haro inside, but what I didn't realize was that there was a TINY haro molded inside the small yaro, in a place you'll only ever seen once during assembly and then never again lol

Great fleas have little fleas upon their backs to bite 'em,
And little fleas have lesser fleas, and so ad infinitum.
And the great fleas themselves, in turn, have greater fleas to go on;
While these again have greater still, and greater still, and so on.[2]

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Slanderer posted:

Haroception.

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord

Slanderer posted:

Oh my god you're right. I just pulled my pink Haro apart and.. how did I not notice that before? :monocle:

I'm gonna say it was because my lighting was terrible. That and I was distracted by how much I hated assembling those limbs. :argh:

Still a good Haro, though. Because all Haros are good Haros.

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak
Well, well, well.

Atsa big gu.....

gently caress me.

Chonk.

Here it is absolutely dwarfing a PG Exia.

All, in all, quite an enjoyable build. It's old and has screws and a ton of polycaps, but due to its size and lack of articulation its not so bad.

ActionZero
Jan 22, 2011

I act once more in
imitation of light

Bees on Wheat posted:

Some Haros are bad Haros.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Bees on Wheat posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clameur_de_haro

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

most Haros are assholes

Metrofreak
Mar 17, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Yo, the MG barbie is loving incredible.

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

Metrofreak posted:

you tease, show us from the back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Metrofreak posted:

What must it be like to be one of the guys who designs the inner frames for MGs and up? To lovingly make these details and engineering wonders, and then hand it off to the next guy who will cover it all up with armor?