Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

I tried Picard and it was so aggressively :geno: that I can't remember if I watched one or two episodes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I keep trying to convince my friends to watch Final Frontier but every time I bring it over for movie nights they immediately shoot it down.

Share your secret pain with me, cowards! :argh:

TMP was what Star Trek Phase 2 would have looked like. ST2, 3, 4 and 6 were 'modern' (for the time) takes on classic Trek. 5 was a classic Trek episode with modern design elements.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

McSpanky posted:

"Watch the movie or start eatin that trash can"

:perfect:

bull3964 posted:

Enterprise is the first crack at making a Trek show that conforms to fully modern storytelling and it just doesn't have interesting enough plots/scripts/characters to fill up the space most of the time. There are some standout episodes, but most of the time it's just a well executed dour and joyless affair.

I’m a little biased when it comes to Enterprise because it’s the first Trek I can remember being really excited for pre-release and then following for the duration of its run. I watched TNG and early DS9 with my folks but I was way too young to remember them well, and we never watched Voyager at all. I used to have subscriptions to both Star Trek Communicator and Star Trek: The Magazine and they both promoted the poo poo out of the show, plus I was a stupid teenager so I was pumped from the get-go.

It’s probably an objectively bad show, but I still enjoy it more than Voyager, partly because of nostalgia, but also just because it eventually kinda-sorta tried to be something different.

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

I am an Enterprise apologist but the most damning critique is that I can't think of a single episode that wouldn't have been better with the cast from a different series.

"Broken Bow" After a mysterious alien is killed on Earth, Kirk must assemble the crew of the Enterprise and bring the body back to its home planet before it causes an interstellar incident.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

TheCenturion posted:

TMP was what Star Trek Phase 2 would have looked like. ST2, 3, 4 and 6 were 'modern' (for the time) takes on classic Trek. 5 was a classic Trek episode with modern design elements.

The sets and costumes would likely have been largely similar (although there's no way you're getting the Rec Deck on a TV budget), but the special effects would have been way more primitive. The lighting would probably also be different since they would have been under much more severe time constraints.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Each show has its strengths, which isn't to say they're equal. If anything, it shows what really matters. TOS has the best tone, TAS has the best ambition, TNG has the best pure writing, DS9 has the best characters, VOY has the best... deactivated iguana, and ENT has the best apologia for war crimes.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

In stark contrast to the material that's been under discussion, I simultaneously streamed Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home with some of my friends tonight and we had a great time. It's such a heartwarming movie. I'm so glad it exists and I'm also sad that we will never see a Star Trek movie like that again.

Imagine the crew of Discovery travelling back in time to 2020. With their attitudes, they would be sooo out of place. :rolleyes:

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002

bull3964 posted:

It actually follows the central thesis of the show instead of being a hollowed out TNG with some scarcity elements.

It's a coin flip as to which out of Enterprise and Voyager are more openly contemptful of their core premises. ENT is absolutely an even more hollowed out TNG. The only major thing separating it from being another Voyager is it has two seasons of major style/tone pivots driven by them knowing that the TNG episodic formula was well and truly done and that they needed to try something else to hold off cancellation.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

The sets and costumes would likely have been largely similar (although there's no way you're getting the Rec Deck on a TV budget), but the special effects would have been way more primitive. The lighting would probably also be different since they would have been under much more severe time constraints.

Yeah, the lighting and sets would have been vastly different in Phase II, as they had different directors, sets, production designers and cinematographers. Wise sacked a lot of people when he was brought on board.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Sash! posted:

I tried Picard and it was so aggressively :geno: that I can't remember if I watched one or two episodes.

You probably watched five and just received the narrative content of a single episode of any other show

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Zurui posted:

I am an Enterprise apologist but the most damning critique is that I can't think of a single episode that wouldn't have been better with the cast from a different series.

"Broken Bow" After a mysterious alien is killed on Earth, Janeway must assemble the crew of the Voyager and bring the body back to its home planet before she causes several more interstellar incidents along the way.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I enjoyed Picard mostly, and I still feel like you could edit the 1st season into a 2 hour film.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

The_Doctor posted:

I enjoyed Picard mostly, and I still feel like you could edit the 1st season into a 2 hour film.

Absolutely, pacing was all weird. The vast majority of stuff on the borg cube could have been cut (and, for that matter, the borg connection entirely).

We can't even say that the Borg were the hook to bring Seven into the story since they encountered her away from the cube. The borg's tech really had no intersection with the AI at all, it was just set dressing. There was probably some story they could have mined there relating to the blending of synthetic and organic as it relates to AI, but there was nothing at all.

There were some very treky bits though that I liked. All of the various assistant holo programs on the La Sirena were amusing for one.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
The borg felt like a marketing misdirection ploy

They deserve better

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

The Bloop posted:

The borg felt like a marketing misdirection ploy

They deserve better
In the end they were just for marketing, at least it felt that way. Everything with the ex-Bs felt like a storyline that should have just been cut since it had almost no relevance to anything else.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

FlamingLiberal posted:

In the end they were just for marketing, at least it felt that way. Everything with the ex-Bs felt like a storyline that should have just been cut since it had almost no relevance to anything else.

No, everything else should be cut

The XBs were a great idea

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

The Bloop posted:

No, everything else should be cut

The XBs were a great idea
I thought that plotline was fine, but it had nothing to do with the Synth story which was the main plot of the season. Like even the whole Romulan refugee thing, which I expected was going to be a bigger deal in this season, didn't really go anywhere.

There were just too many ideas shoved into a season that was already like 7 episodes minus the first three which was a pilot and screened together when they did the premiere.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

The_Doctor posted:

:smugdog: that's what I had been saying since the start. tng 2-parters did better stories in a fraction of the time.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Timby posted:

Yeah, the lighting and sets would have been vastly different in Phase II, as they had different directors, sets, production designers and cinematographers. Wise sacked a lot of people when he was brought on board.
The Enterprise itself wouldn't have looked as good either. The model that was being built for Phase 2 was scrapped and the ship itself redesigned. The original version wasn't nearly as elegant - the nacelles in particular were kind of clunky in comparison.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Huh, I don't hate it. It's really interesting though how they can take a lot of the same art deco design and make it seem like TOS (mostly due to the paint).

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I still think the nacelles are at odds with the saucer design a bit, but it’s alright. Eaglemoss did a version of it not long ago and it looks good lined up with the other TOS Enterprises.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

bull3964 posted:

Huh, I don't hate it. It's really interesting though how they can take a lot of the same art deco design and make it seem like TOS (mostly due to the paint).

The bussards look like they're filled with delicious orange fruit filling

Butternubs
Feb 15, 2012
One of the (many) problems with Picard and Discovery is that they sound too american.

All the best trek feels more multicultural, TOS had russian and scottish accents on the bridge as well as whatever sulu is doing. TNG has picard and troi. DS9 had Irish(ish) and British. The only non american accent in discovery is Georgiou and she's the best part. I think they talk a lot differently than previous treks too, more formal maybe. The characters from disco and picard sound like the cast of the OC.

If anything I want more accents. Why not give Saru a thick Italian accent.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
It-sa me! Saaaaaru!

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Reed was British

Trip was Floridian, which is essentially another country. The Xindi were correct to obliterate it.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Butternubs posted:

One of the (many) problems with Picard and Discovery is that they sound too american.

All the best trek feels more multicultural, TOS had russian and scottish accents on the bridge as well as whatever sulu is doing. TNG has picard and troi. DS9 had Irish(ish) and British. The only non american accent in discovery is Georgiou and she's the best part. I think they talk a lot differently than previous treks too, more formal maybe. The characters from disco and picard sound like the cast of the OC.

If anything I want more accents. Why not give Saru a thick Italian accent.

Picard and Rios on STP speak a French and Spanish so strong, even the most advanced Universal Translator cannot translate it.

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011
Is there some sort of Spaceship Architecture Appreciation class I can take to learn how to evaluate and appreciate the different ship shapes the way you all do? I certainly have opinions on the insides of ships (TOS is cozy, TNG is fun, DSC is way too futuristic) but when I see the outside of a Star Trek ship I'm just like "oh, there's a Star Trek ship" the way someone who doesn't know anything about architecture might just say "oh, there's a skyscraper"

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Do you have opinions on how cars look?

A lot of it is visceral reaction combined with our nostalgia for those designs.

For me, the connie refit is not only one of the best studio models of a starship out there, giving depth and weight to something that actually looks like it was designed by people, it's also the ship that I associate with this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CD4lB1A3KyI

The Star Trek movies being on ABC movie night is just a warm a fuzzy feeling I have from my childhood. It was NEW Star Trek after watching TOS reruns and it was so much more mature.

I don't know FOR SURE if I watched it when it premiered on ABC as I only would have been 5 1/2 at the time. But I know I was an avid Star Trek fan as long as I could remember watching TOS reruns to the point when I was bouncing off the walls when I was 8 when TNG premiered.

Butternubs
Feb 15, 2012

Astroman posted:

Picard and Rios on STP speak a French and Spanish so strong, even the most advanced Universal Translator cannot translate it.

Hell, I didn't even notice non-hologram Rios had an accent, shows how much attention I paid to Picard...

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
In Picard, Patrick Stewart, Harry Treadway, Alison Pill, Santiago Cabrera, Evan Evagora, Jonathan del Arco, Orla Brady, and Marina Sirtis all are non-American by birth.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Epicurius posted:

In Picard, Patrick Stewart, Harry Treadway, Alison Pill, Santiago Cabrera, Evan Evagora, Jonathan del Arco, Orla Brady, and Marina Sirtis all are non-American by birth.

Fukkin fereigners :clint:

Butternubs
Feb 15, 2012

Epicurius posted:

And it was still a hot pile of rear end. maybe my theory's wrong.

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

Star Trek: We don't really like Star Trek

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Zurui posted:

"Broken Bow" After a mysterious Bajoran is killed on station, Sisko must assemble the crew of the Deep Space 9 and bring the body back to its home province before it causes a religious incident.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Zurui posted:

"Broken Bow" After a mysterious Klingon is killed on their tomb ship, Georgiou must assemble the crew of the Shenzhou and bring the body back to its home planet before her first officer shoots her and causes an interstellar incident.

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Zurui posted:

"Broken Bow" After a mysterious alien is killed on Earth, Picard must assemble the crew of the Normandy and find Commander Shepherd for the Illusive Man

Bucswabe
May 2, 2009
I decided to watch a random TNG episode the other day, and ended up choosing "The Defector". There is one throwaway line that the Romulan guy says to Data that's something like "I know a ton of Romulan cyberneticists that would love to get their hands on you", and, welp I guess that completely undermines the premise of Star Trek: Picard...

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Waltz was tonight's DS9 episode on H&I.

God, Marc Alaimo puts on a masterclass of acting work in that.

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

Waltz is a top tier episode. Brooks and Alaimo just chewing each other's scenery was great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Civilized Fishbot posted:

Is there some sort of Spaceship Architecture Appreciation class I can take to learn how to evaluate and appreciate the different ship shapes the way you all do? I certainly have opinions on the insides of ships (TOS is cozy, TNG is fun, DSC is way too futuristic) but when I see the outside of a Star Trek ship I'm just like "oh, there's a Star Trek ship" the way someone who doesn't know anything about architecture might just say "oh, there's a skyscraper"

Did you get a copy of the TNG tech manual when you were twelve?